Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/16/2011 8:54:34 PM   
terje439

Turn 98

Overall
Nothing happens, the Axis does not even try to attack Moscow in the mud. He is in no hurry, so he will wait them out. Understandable, but sadly that does not kill me any panzers... My airforce on the other hans inflict some 1500 casualties and kill no less than 14 tanks this turn, a very good result. Sadly, I on the other hand forgot my promise to the pilots this turn, about a holiday for those with low morale. Oh well, the vacations will be resumed next turn.
With no attacks, we still suffer quite a bit of casualties, with 84.000 dead soldiers this turn. On the other hand, the Axis loss of 28.000 is also pleasing.
With 180.000 fresh pair of hands to the manpower pool, it ends at 64. I guess I could be positive, and note that this means the active pool at the end of the turn have multiplied by 32 since last turn...

Units
i order the formation of 1 tank corps, 1 mech corps and 3 mech brigades. This is a "setup" I will run with for a few turns just to get some more mechanized troops on the board. I also recieved a new airfield, which when you think about it, is a good thing, since that means I also got more aerial units.
Our existing troops scored a net growth of 100.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisans
Today these guys will get their picture shown (see below). With 13 sabotague actions and 17 supply drops, this is a very good turn. Even though the Axis force 10 of our units to retreat, we still have 22 active partisans left at the end of the turn.

Operation Dutchboy
We are gathering our mobile corps' and will stack them on the railroad east of Moscow. This should be the best possition to allow them to railmove to any threathened part of the front within one turn. So far I have gathered 5 tank corps, 1 mech corps, 3 cav corps and 2 Guards Rifle corps. This number will increase as other units make their way through the mud.

Operation Popular Vote
Some more recon flights are needed next turn to see if this one comes further than the planning board

Worries
Not much at the moment, just curious when I will feal I have enough strength to go on the offence

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:43:09 PM >

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 331
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/16/2011 9:45:13 PM   
gingerbread

To add to the Hv Tank SU discourse, these should do good attached to infantry corps doing river assaults since they as SU's will not be subject to disruption.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 332
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/16/2011 10:09:36 PM   
gingerbread

Terje, about the partisan void area: a couple of C-47 groups on a VVS-base parked on the rail line just east of the Validai Hills ought to remedy that.

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 333
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/17/2011 12:23:16 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

Terje, about the partisan void area: a couple of C-47 groups on a VVS-base parked on the rail line just east of the Validai Hills ought to remedy that.

Good thinking, will withdraw those few C47 units I currently have from other bases and redeploy. Thanks for the tip

Terje

Post #: 334
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/17/2011 2:43:39 PM   
terje439

Turn 99

Overall
The mud is fading quickly, but for now the conditions are still such that the Axis chose not to attack, and nor do we. Our airforce are out making life miserable for a few German units, but that is all. Also, the pilots are actually all rather happy, and no units have a morale below 39 despite taking 10:1 in overall loss ratio each turn.
No more than 191.000 workers report to the manpower pool, and it ends at 12 this turn. I also take the time to go over my units and remove the "refit" command from any unit with TOE over 90.
Losses are once more rather light, with 29.000 Axis troops killed to our 82.000. Still, due to the low manpower, I really need to get some cities back.

Units
I combine 3 brigades into a divison, and order the construction of 3 mechanized brigades, and form 2 tank corps. We also recieve a new airfield. With low manpower, our forces record a net growth of a mere 92.000 soldiers this turn. I say mere as this is a turn with no ground fighting.

Partisans
10 Axis attacks on our partisan units means we are left with 21 active squads. These guys again perform 13 sabotague actions this turn, which is good enough for now. Our aerial friends perform outstanding and make 24 supply drops this turn. A couple of transport squadrons upgrade to C47s, and will be sent to the reserve pool next turn, and thereafter will be send to a new VVS airfield outside Moscow.

Operation Dutchboy
More and more forces are being assembled, the number is starting to look good actually.

Operation Popular vote
This is aborted as the planner had an "D'oh!" moment.

Worries
What will the spring bring?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:43:21 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 335
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/17/2011 8:59:26 PM   
M60A3TTS

I know what others have said, but I'd be wary of going gaga over tank corps. Hey, I like tanks as much as anyone, but they will continue to be relative lightweights until November when the TO&E doubles up the tank contingent. Even then their smaller infantry contingent will put them at a disadvantage against the enemy unless stacked with another unit having adequate boots on the ground. They can contribute towards local/tactical victories in conjunction with rifle corps but by themselves they will struggle to be a decisive factor. Also, you're now distancing these units from their parent HQs which will reduce their supply intake, so I wouldn't keep them clumped together long.

My advice is you can work on your mobile troops but don't stop building infantry altogether. You can take newly formed rifle units and ship them off to a quiet part of the line where the new divisions can replace the idle rifle corps. Then those same corps can be redeployed and put into the line where you want to push your opponent back or simply force him to take casualties and weaken him generally. I'd suggest you'll see better results doing that then trying to mass all these tank and mech corps at least in the coming months. Down the road, the story may change. By 1944 certainly I'd expect the Soviet mobile forces to have a heavier hand in the push west.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 336
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/17/2011 11:38:46 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I know what others have said, but I'd be wary of going gaga over tank corps. Hey, I like tanks as much as anyone, but they will continue to be relative lightweights until November when the TO&E doubles up the tank contingent. Even then their smaller infantry contingent will put them at a disadvantage against the enemy unless stacked with another unit having adequate boots on the ground. They can contribute towards local/tactical victories in conjunction with rifle corps but by themselves they will struggle to be a decisive factor. Also, you're now distancing these units from their parent HQs which will reduce their supply intake, so I wouldn't keep them clumped together long.

My advice is you can work on your mobile troops but don't stop building infantry altogether. You can take newly formed rifle units and ship them off to a quiet part of the line where the new divisions can replace the idle rifle corps. Then those same corps can be redeployed and put into the line where you want to push your opponent back or simply force him to take casualties and weaken him generally. I'd suggest you'll see better results doing that then trying to mass all these tank and mech corps at least in the coming months. Down the road, the story may change. By 1944 certainly I'd expect the Soviet mobile forces to have a heavier hand in the push west.

Yes, the HQ factor is a concern of mine, the one thing I see as a benefit of keeping those mobile units to the rear however is that they will be able to plug any hole in the front quickly, and to the rear they will suffer less attrition than on the frontline. And ofc if I am able to open a gap, the tank corps becomes invaluable due to their ability to move through ZoC alot better than rifle units.
That being said, I am somewhat scared of the situation at present, but I think I will be untill the frontline consists of 3x3 rifle corps units....
Another thing that calls for rifle units, is ofc the vehicle pool.

Your advice is taken, and it will eventually be used, but atm I will form any excisting cav divs and tank brigades into corps,as they are useless in smaller groups.

Terje

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 337
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/17/2011 11:49:03 PM   
terje439

Turn 100

Overall
The mud goes away, and both sides resume offensive operations. The good thing is that all our attacks are successes, while the bad news is that we lose alot of units in the Moscow pocket. The Germans do not manage to kill of the pocket this turn, it is estimated that another turn or two will be required. The Axis managed a total of 13 attacks, scoring 1 held, 4 retreats, 1 rout and 7 surrenders, while we make 4 attacks and score 4 retreats. Due to the troops lost in the pocket, loss ratio is completely in favour of the Axis this turn, with losses reported as 33.000 to 318.000.
A total of 180.000 workers report to the manpower pool this turn, and it ends at 75. At the same time, it seems my armaments pool is really reluctant to pass the 1.000.000 mark, as it ends at 994.000, which is about where it has been the last few turns.

Units
We will start with the lost in action list this turn. We lost 3 fortified areas, 2 tank corps, 1 AT artillery brigade, 1 rifle brigade, 2 artillery divisions, 7 rifle divisions and 5 rifle corps. That is alot of troops...
At the same time, 9 rifle brigades are formed into 4 rifle divisions (I ALWAYS forget that 2 is enough the first time I do this each round...), and I also order the formation of 1 mechanized corps, 1 tank corps, 1 cavalry corps and 2 rifle corps this turn. And we are also rewarded with a new airfield.
With so many units lost, the net growth of our forces are -109.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisan
We are left with 23 active units after the Axis launch 6 attacks on partisan units this turn. The remaining units perform 15 sabotague actions, and are rewarded by 22 supply drops this turn. The C47s are sent to the resrve this turn, and will be brought back in a few turns. I want to see what happens around Moscow before placing more airfields there.

Operation Dutchboy
The forces are gathering, and it is a pretty sight, their CV however, and espesially those of my tank corps, are not satisfying.

Worrries
The ease with which the German panzers can rout my rifle corps.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:43:32 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 338
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 12:25:13 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Terje, from the screenshot the Rifle Corps only has 13.000 men. That's very few. Maybe you threw them to battle too early. A refit thing should have filled the ranks and you would have an almost-monster: 25.000-30.000 men. That or I am missing something

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 339
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 12:50:36 AM   
terje439

Good catch, missed that one myself. True, and also they only had a level 1 fort. And ofc there were ALOT of panzers
Still it keeps me worried

Terje

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 340
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 12:56:31 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Terje, from the screenshot the Rifle Corps only has 13.000 men. That's very few. Maybe you threw them to battle too early. A refit thing should have filled the ranks and you would have an almost-monster: 25.000-30.000 men. That or I am missing something

Exactly what I was going to say. Your one corps was running with a TO&E of probably 45%. Then there is a question of possible fatigue. You were hit by 4 panzer divisions and outnumbered 5-1. Looks like there was no supporting artillery from higher HQ on your side, no SU assigned to the corps, and the corps was assigned to the Moscow MD. Ugh. Considering all the factors, these are the sort of results you can expect from the CRT. If you have rifle corps operating in a heavy panzer environment, SUs are essential. May I recommend heavy tank regiments or ATG regiments?

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 341
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 1:06:37 AM   
Flaviusx

M60, a well trained and rested guards tank corps at this point can reach the lower teens. That's quite respectable.

They will always be fragile units with a glass jaw, no matter what point of the war, but their offensive capability is good enough by early 43. The just can't take it in the chin. Certainly they're plenty good enough to break up wild panzer envelopments. (And will have theirs broken in turn, usually.)

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 342
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 1:28:03 AM   
terje439

Turn 101

Overall
More mud means the Moscow pocket is still alive. The Axis make no attacks, while we perform one, forcing a German infantry division to retreat with losses during the battle at 2:1 in our favour. In the end losses are reported as 28.000 to 83.000.
One good thing came from the surrender of all those units last turn I guess, as although the manpower pool only recieves 172.000 pair of hands this turn, the pool ends at 145.000 this turn. Guess it will all be gone again in a few turns, but nevertheless a small morale boost.

Units
Stalin gave us alot of CP this turn, so we managed to build a decent ammount of troops this turn. I order the formation of 1 tank corps, 1 mechanized corps, 1 cavalry corps and 2 rifle corps. Furthermore I also build 6 rifle divisions, 3 rifle brigades, 3 mechanized brigades and 3 rocket launcher divisions.
A question about units, are the ski brigades worth it? (yes, I probably should have asked BEFORE the winter started), the same question about assault engineer sapper brigades, are they worth building (seems like a nice addition to each attacking stack imo).
Our units report a net growth of 88.000 troops this turn.

Partisans
A disappointing turn. Only 5 sabotague actions makes the 19 supply drops seem extravagant. The Axis forced 9 units to retreat, leaving us with 19. So really not a good turn at all. The C47s have been placed around Moscow, let us see if that helps the attacks on the central rail line.

Worries
Hmm might I be Montgomery?! I am too scared to do something offensive before my reserves are biiig...

Picture
None this turn. Nothing to show really. If there is anything in peculiar you guys want to see, post a request.

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:43:44 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 343
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 4:34:08 AM   
terje439

Turn 102

Overall
With the mud gone again, the Axis kill off the Moscow pocket, but that is all they do. I attack all along the line where I have a resonable (2:1+) chance of success. The result is 6 held and 7 retreats. 3 of the held results were artillery only, so those "do not count" . The Axis score 3 surrenders with their 3 attacks, and are now bragging about the view from the Kremlin. Losses in the end are reported at 32.000 Axis troops to our 189.000, I have got to stop allowing them to form pockets...
Our manpower pool recieves a total of 180.000 workers this turn, and ends at 1327.

Units
I order the formation of 4 rifle corps (no mech, tank or cav available at the moment), and 1 Guards Airborne division. I also allow one of my shock armies to produce 3 heavy AT regiments, 3 sapper regiments and 3 flamethrower companies. This shock army is where my mechanized corps are placed, and they will be given some more toys next turn. I also recieve a new airfield this turn, and when I look at my aircraft numbers, I realize why.
The Moscow pocket is closed, and we lose 2 rifle corps, 1 cavalry corps, 6 rifle divisions and 6 AA regiments. With these losses, our overall strength decrease by 9.000 this turn.

Partisans
They must have heard I was not too pleased with the results last turn, because they perform very well this turn. 19 sabotagues actions and 30 supply drops were made by the 27 active units that were left after the Axis chased away 6 of our guys this turn.

Worries
What will the Axis do this spring/summer?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:43:58 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 344
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 5:24:06 AM   
Seminole

quote:

I know what others have said, but I'd be wary of going gaga over tank corps. Hey, I like tanks as much as anyone, but they will continue to be relative lightweights

IMO, their strength isn't in their toe to toe offensive power, but in their mobility advantage over tank brigades.  Armored formations are not simply bludgeons.  Think more like Patton, less like Grant, when it comes to applying tanks on the battlefield.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 345
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 12:23:15 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

quote:

I know what others have said, but I'd be wary of going gaga over tank corps. Hey, I like tanks as much as anyone, but they will continue to be relative lightweights

IMO, their strength isn't in their toe to toe offensive power, but in their mobility advantage over tank brigades.  Armored formations are not simply bludgeons.  Think more like Patton, less like Grant, when it comes to applying tanks on the battlefield.

Really that. And that makes them a premium specialist asset. One doesn't want to have an army of specialists - one-trick horses - either :)

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 346
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 6:52:31 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

quote:

quote:

Really that. And that makes them a premium specialist asset. One doesn't want to have an army of specialists - one-trick horses - either :)

The way I would like my army to work (sooner rather than later, but in due time nevertheless), is that;
1. My Guard Rifle Corps will attack the main line and rupture the front
2. My Tank, Mech and Cav Corps will drive through the hole in the line
3. My "normal" Rifle Corps will guard the flanks and make sure the front is not resealed behind my mobile units.

Terje

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 347
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/18/2011 11:32:41 PM   
terje439

Turn 103

Overall
Turn of the Partisans!!!
The Axis does not seem to do anything but chase partisans and scratch their heads. Only two attacks are made on the line, and those I expected as I did place two lone divisions in a gap in the line (used to be Axis territory). However, the Axis used German panzer divisions to do the attacks, and I say thank you very much, bomb one of them well atleast back into 1942 before attacking with 3 rifle corps with 3 artillery divisions joining in. The result was 114 Germans AFVs destroyed, the majority being PzIVg, Pz38(t)E, PzIIIn and PzIIf's, so no obsolete vehicles (with the exception of the Chzech) either.
I am however somewhat displeased with my overall results, as I score 6 held and 4 retreats this turn. However this time I know why I got held results, 2 of them was due to HQ modifiers (-30%), and 3 of them were due to my stupidity (looked at the enemy offensive CV, not defenive), and the last was so close it does not really count, ending at 1.9:1.
Anyway, the Axis scored 2 retreat results as their only attacks.
I took a good look at my pools, and was happy to see that the vehicle pool is up to 121.000. The armaments pool however will not reach 1.000.000, as it drops this turn to 989.000. With a total of 183.000 reporting to the manpower pool, it ends the turn at 6.314 this turn.

Units
I sent 11 aerial units on some R&R this turn, 8 tacticals, 2 level bombers and 1 transport. Alot of my TACs are obsolete planes, and it shows.
The happy news is that 2 of our rifle corps gain Guard status this turn, way to go lads!
Apart from the usual airfield, I order the formation of 1 mechanized corps, 1 tank corps and 3 rifle corps this turn, leaving me with 1 CP which I save for a rainy day.
With rather high losses, our forces only grew by 70.000 troops this turn. Hehe "only"... Guess I have high demands

Partisans
Wow, just wow.
No less than 43 supply drops were made this turn, that is just amazing. The guys on the ground were quite active as well with 17 sabotague actions, but the real gem is that despite no less than 16 anti-partisan attacks by the Axis, we are still left with 28 units remaining.

Worries
I must not be too careful, nor too careless...
The "Moscow Salient" looks mouthwatering though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:44:14 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 348
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 12:25:41 AM   
gingerbread

You might want to look at the '43a Mortar Brigade. 144 tubes of 120mm with high RoF and blast value. Very inexpensive in men and ARM, ~1500 of each. Use vs. infantry.

If you have any transport air groups and C-47s or Li-2s left, a base placed NW of Krasnodar would cover the Ukraine. The entire rail net is converted by now, so to have an effect at the front it takes a lot of attacks.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 349
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 4:53:08 PM   
terje439

Turn 104

Overall
The mud is back, and the Axis do nothing. We fly as many sorties as possible, targeting nothing but German units, and despite the mud, I see a possibility for an attack on the 71st German Infantry Division. The attack results in a retreat, and the 71st is down to 4.000 men in strength. These guys really seem to be in need of some time away from the front. But if they are kept here, we will keep pounding them, as they are an easy target.
In the end, losses are reported at 27.000 Axis troops compared to our loss of 80.000.

Units
I did not build anything this turn, merely because I pushed end turn a tad quick...
Our existing forces grew by 97.000 this turn.

Partisans
Another good turn, espesially the guys around Moscow show some guts.
A total of 25 sabotague actions and 32 supply drops are undertaken this turn, and despite 14 units being attacked by the Axis, we are left with 32 on the map.

Worries
Nothing stands out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:44:24 PM >

Post #: 350
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 4:55:55 PM   
terje439

quote:

1. You might want to look at the '43a Mortar Brigade. 144 tubes of 120mm with high RoF and blast value. Very inexpensive in men and ARM, ~1500 of each. Use vs. infantry.

2. If you have any transport air groups and C-47s or Li-2s left, a base placed NW of Krasnodar would cover the Ukraine.
3. The entire rail net is converted by now, so to have an effect at the front it takes a lot of attacks.

1. Are two of these to prefer over 1 arty division? 144 tubes does seem good to me!

2. Thanks for the advice, will look into it.

3. Yes, I know, however all these attacks forces the German player to either depend on automated repair, or keep his FDB(??) running all over the place. And I also see alot of German regular infantry in the rear chasing partisans, these units are not available to him at the front, which is a decent bonus in my eyes.

Terje

Post #: 351
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 5:59:56 PM   
gingerbread

Soviet guns & howitzers seems to fire 1 or max 2 rounds if they get to fire - the mortars fire more when they get to. Exp and leader initiative is used to determine, but the high RoF is what makes the case for the mortars as I see it. Low cost means you can have more, AP and command limits permitting. You need to let them train up exp before they are usable, though.

There is a division of rockets that costs 42 000(!) ARM that I tried vs AI. Not worth it...

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 352
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 7:04:08 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

There is a division of rockets that costs 42 000(!) ARM that I tried vs AI. Not worth it...

Having one of these when the time comes to assault Adolf's cozy bunker in Berlin would be priceless.

Post #: 353
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 8:26:05 PM   
terje439

quote:

Soviet guns & howitzers seems to fire 1 or max 2 rounds if they get to fire - the mortars fire more when they get to. Exp and leader initiative is used to determine, but the high RoF is what makes the case for the mortars as I see it. Low cost means you can have more, AP and command limits permitting. You need to let them train up exp before they are usable, though.

Good thing ARM is the one thing I have in aboundance

Terje

Post #: 354
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 9:08:28 PM   
terje439

Turn 105

Overall
The mud is gone again, yet the Axis seem occupied with taking pictures of the Kremlin, they do not attack at all. I order a total of 10 attacks, and score 4 held and 6 retreats. Once more our retreats are all in the 1.7:1 to 1.9:1 range, so close to successes. If the German panzers remain around Moscow, that implies that the Axis has allowed the pace to be set by me from now on, and I want to attack, yet I do not dare to launch an all out assault. I am still too worried about the German panzers around Moscow, and attacking would use most of my reserves...
Losses are somewhat high on our side this turn with 89.000 casualties compared to the Axis loss of 29.000 troops.
This turn a total of 185.000 workers report to the manpower pool, ending it at 2.442. The good news is that the vehicle pool is now up to 124.000 and rising.

Units
This turn is in the name of infantry as my tank brigades arrived at the assembly area with no movement left. I therefore create 8 rifle corps and construct 2 rifle divisions, a rifle brigade, and 3 mortar brigades this turn. Since our losses were somewhat high this turn, our overall strength only increase by 83.000 troops this turn.

Partisans
The Axis force 18 units to retreat this turn, yet we still have 32 units left on the map. These units then perform a total of 26 sabotague actions, and are given 21 supply flights as a thank you.

Worries
Are my opponent only waiting for me to act, or is he refitting his units?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:44:35 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 355
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 9:41:42 PM   
M60A3TTS

You asked before what en masse meant, and I hadn't replied. That would be three stacked rifle corps in a hex with a total CV of 25-30. Two stacks of that size would attack and they would possibly be backed up with artillery, not including anything the parent army has at its disposal. I assume since your CVs are shown to be generally lower that you could be more selective on who gets refit. Remember too that corps units as any unit suffer attrition if they are in contact with the enemy on the front lines. If you aren't attacking with those corps, you can keep division sized units in the line. Leave selected corps in the back on refit so they will be fresh when you send them in to battle.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 356
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 9:43:03 PM   
Seminole

quote:

The way I would like my army to work (sooner rather than later, but in due time nevertheless), is that;
1. My Guard Rifle Corps will attack the main line and rupture the front
2. My Tank, Mech and Cav Corps will drive through the hole in the line
3. My "normal" Rifle Corps will guard the flanks and make sure the front is not resealed behind my mobile units.

If you expect to hold the shoulders of the line breech with infantry divisions, I suspect you will be disappointed.

In my game against the Axis AI I was able to accomplish something similar to what you aspire.  A strong '41 fall campaign, and excellent winter, led to a weak German summer.  I was able to create a hole in the line near Velikiye Luki and offer the Wehrmacht some of its own bitter blitzkrieg medicine.  His efforts to stem the flood of tank brigades caused him to open a hole in the line near the Pripyat, through which I muscled some more tank brigades and basically chewed up AGC in a massive encirclement.  From there it was a race to Riga to cut off AGN before summer drew to a close.

Through the winter of '42-'43 I've advanced steadily across the front.  I mainly attack with rifle corps, then move an infantry division into the freshly evacuated hex.  This keeps the rifle corps off the front line for attrition purposes, and his counter attacks are mostly absorbed by my infantry divisions (which he can displace anywhere he chooses to attack).  I wasn't able to make another decent armored breakthrough until I got to the edge of eastern Prussia.  But it's now April '43, and I'm busy re-organizing the Red Army in the mud for what I hope is the final summer offensive.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 357
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 9:53:43 PM   
terje439

quote:

If you expect to hold the shoulders of the line breech with infantry divisions, I suspect you will be disappointed.

Nope, with rifle corps, not divisions :)
These guys have about the same unmodified CV as German Inf Divs by now, so he might be able to push away some, but he should not be able to brush them all aside.
Atleast that is how I am thinking...

Terje

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 358
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/19/2011 9:56:22 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

You asked before what en masse meant, and I hadn't replied. That would be three stacked rifle corps in a hex with a total CV of 25-30. Two stacks of that size would attack and they would possibly be backed up with artillery, not including anything the parent army has at its disposal. I assume since your CVs are shown to be generally lower that you could be more selective on who gets refit. Remember too that corps units as any unit suffer attrition if they are in contact with the enemy on the front lines. If you aren't attacking with those corps, you can keep division sized units in the line. Leave selected corps in the back on refit so they will be fresh when you send them in to battle.

My rifle corps are from 4-12 in CV (unready-guards), with an average between 5 and 6. Most German inf div at this time show a CV of 5.
I did not think about the idea of keeping my div's as placeholders in silent areas. Good tip!

As to who gets prioritized for refit, that are the units with the lowest TOE. As soon as TOE is over 90% for a unit it goes into ready or reserve status.

Terje

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 359
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/20/2011 12:15:49 AM   
terje439

Turn 106

Overall
The Axis remain still, and launch no attacks on the line. We do however, and for the first time (where we make more than a few attacks), all our attacks succeed. 8 retreats and 4 held, where all 4 held results are artillery only attacks. Another positive thing, is the fact that in all battles the Axis lost more troops, guns and tanks than us. Somewhat disappointing to see 14:1 attacks only produce retreats, but I'll take it anyway.
I also have decided that we shall make a minor offensive, just to test things out, we will see how it ends, but alteast the planning is done, and the gathering of forces have begun. ETA 2-4 turns, depending on how fast I can move my forces, and how the Axis react.
At the end of the turn, the undertakers report 33.000 killed Axis troops, and 87.000 on our side.
The manpower pool recieves a total of 185.000 men and women, it still ends on a meagre 22 though.

Units
4 aerial squadrons are sent to the reserves to regain some morale. Then we form 2 tank corps (which means there are no more tank brigades on the map), and construct 3 mechanized brigades, and a rifle brigade. The rifle brigade is just a placeholder in Stalingrad as I do not want to give up my forts there just yet (still feeling too insecure...), as that frees up the last needed cavalry division I need to form that last cavalry corps.
In the northern sector, all rifle corps are ordered to step away from the frontline, and give that duty to divisions. Let us hope this reduce attrition somewhat. I also moved some divisions to the rear, at places where there were 2 of them at the front.
Our forces report a net growth of 88.000 troops this turn. I guess this will have to do untill we liberate some cities.

Partisans
Although the Axis chase away 16 units, we are still left with 31. As so often before, our airforce perform very well and make 30 supply drops this turn. I fear this shall drop next turn as two transport squadrons have been given some rest this turn. And this turn too, we go past the 20-marker in ammount of sabotague actions, but just barely, as a total of 21 are performed.

Operation To Don or Not to Don
I will attempt a small scale attack, just to get a feel of a) how I manage, and b) how the Axis react. I start to gather forces, but for the first time since the factory evacuations, I find myself lacking in rail capacity.

Worries
How good is the Axis recon ability at this point?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:44:55 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI