Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sluggish strange behavior with 2.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Sluggish strange behavior with 2.0 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sluggish strange behavior with 2.0 - 11/8/2002 6:43:05 PM   
strollen

After installing the game I find that it takes a very long time to get past the splash screen (several minutes.) Left clicking or hitting enter bypass the splash screen, but then I get a corrupted screen.

I have a similar problem with hitting end turn on PBEM game. It doesn't seem to transistion to the save screen. The only way I seem to bring up the save screen is to use Alt-Tab to cycle between applications.

Any suggestions?

P2.4 Giga hertz
GE Force 4 Ti4600 (64 Meg)
512 Mega Ram
Windows XP.
Computer is only 3 weeks old.
Post #: 1
hmmmm? - 11/8/2002 9:07:48 PM   
mogami

Hi, Are you closing all applications not needed prior to running game? (cont-alt-delete) I have made several PBEM turns (3 games) and seen nothing strange (and you have a faster maschine)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 2
- 11/9/2002 8:31:15 AM   
Caltone

2.0 is running slow for me as well. Same notes as Strollen, also see it when selecting saved games. This is a 1.4 pbem game.

PC
Athlon XP 1800
512 DDR RAM
GF3 Ti 500
XP Pro

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 3
- 11/9/2002 8:46:57 AM   
strollen

I guess all the features slowed the game. I timed it the load time in a good 10 seconds slower than 1.4.

The end of turn takes between 50 and 55 seconds to go from the game map to save screen. Basically, I was impatience and thought the game had hung.

It is pretty sluggish which wouldn't have been so bad. If they had put up the hourclass cursor after you hit end of turn.

The only open application is Outlook express and explorer.

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 4
- 11/9/2002 9:45:18 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

We changed the way the game is saving files which can cause a small slow down when saving and loading saved files.

The game now encrypts the save files for PBEM security. It also compresses them. Most of the save files prior to this patch were around 9 megs. Now with the new file compression they go down to around 900kbs.

Now when you load a save file it has to uncompress that file.

So you will get some form of slow down when either of the above is happening.

@ strollen : We have a machine at Matrix with the same specs as yours and when we run the game on it there is no slow down as you have described.

Be aware that things like a personal firewall may be slowing your machine down. Even if its not running it still is active. How many applications are in your task bar ? If there is an icon there that would mean that an application is running which could also be helping to cause a slow down.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 5
- 11/9/2002 12:10:02 PM   
strollen

I guess I was not particularly clear.
The time to start the application has increased by a noticable amount from 1.4. To the point now where after clicking to get past the films, Matrix logos etc. It take a least 15 seconds longer to get to the initial screen. This wouldn't be a big deal except for now we have to restart the game every time we switch games.

Since I am basically only playing PBEM, this is kinda of annoying.

The 2nd delay is the time between when you click End Turn and the list of Saved Game slots is displayed. As I said this is 50-55 seconds on my pretty fast computer and is definitely annoying.

The actually load and savings of games maybe a bit longer than 1.4 but it is not really noticable and certainly not a problem.

I don't have a firewall, and am only running outlook express, generally Explorer, Norton, and Windows messenger.

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 6
Time saver - 11/9/2002 12:47:11 PM   
mogami

Hi, to save a little load time go into video folder and select all, cut now go to patch folder and paste. Always start game by clicking on exe icon (rather then short cut on desk top) The videos will not run and you get game loaded a little faster.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 7
- 11/9/2002 4:32:28 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by strollen
[B]

Since I am basically only playing PBEM, this is kinda of annoying.

The 2nd delay is the time between when you click End Turn and the list of Saved Game slots is displayed. As I said this is 50-55 seconds on my pretty fast computer and is definitely annoying.

The actually load and savings of games maybe a bit longer than 1.4 but it is not really noticable and certainly not a problem.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I understood you as I said we are running a machine at Matrix thats the same specs as you and its not taking as much time as yours.

When was the last time you did a disc defrag ? Doing this should also help.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 8
- 11/9/2002 8:57:43 PM   
Caltone

Thanks for the suggestions Ross but I think the problem was running 1.4 files. At least that seemed to be the issue in my case. Today, my opponents all returned 2.0 files and it is much faster. Even the delay to reach the save screen is reduced and since the files are now compressed, it is faster than 1.4 overall.

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 9
- 11/10/2002 12:56:53 PM   
CommC

Yes, deleting all the old 1.4 save files greatly speeds up the access to the save game screen. However, the more 2.0 save game files saved, the slower the access.

I think it may help to defrag my hard drive, I haven't done that in a long time.

Matrix: I think you should add this tip about deleting the 1.4 save game files to the FAQ or readme doc for v2.0

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 10
- 11/10/2002 1:29:13 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CommC
[B]
Matrix: I think you should add this tip about deleting the 1.4 save game files to the FAQ or readme doc for v2.0 [/B][/QUOTE]

Its too late to change the v2.0 docs but I will now go and add this to the UV FAQ section here.

Cheers

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Sluggish strange behavior with 2.0 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI