Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why the Pacific?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Why the Pacific? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why the Pacific? - 11/5/2002 5:27:43 PM   
entemedor

Hi all,

Of all WW2 scenarios, I specially like 1942-43 Pacific campaigns; probably because there was much less civilian suffering than in others, just the armed forced of two great powers grappled in deadly combat. Can you imagine an scenary with less 'co-lateral damage' than two carrier forces trading blows in mid-Pacific?
Of course I am not saying that was a 'clean' war; such a thing does not exist. And the suffering of soldiers is suffering as well. But at least they can fight back...

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 31
- 11/5/2002 6:16:35 PM   
Raverdave

And I seem to recall reading that the sharks had an enjoyable time as well. There is a story of an Aussie Catalina pilot, who after returning from a long patrol, could not be bothered waiting for the tender to take him and the crew from the tethered cat back to the shore. So he swam.......unlucky for him the happened to be a shark, whom it seems had a taste for dumb aussie officers. The shark bit down and took of one of his legs from the knee down.
This pilot then turns up many months latter at the Squdron with a tin leg, and decleared fit for flight operations! Our own Aussie Douglass Barder! The story goes on the when the crew would get pissed (drunk) they would nick his tin leg for a laugh.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 32
huh? - 11/5/2002 6:55:54 PM   
Luskan

I thought that story ended with after the tin-legged pilot landed, he didn't want to wait (again) and went for a swim and drowned because of his leg . . .

Or maybe whoever told me that one was pulling my leg . . .

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 33
- 11/7/2002 3:29:48 AM   
Sabre21

Sure a lot of you guys from down under on this forum all the time. One of these days I will make it there:)

My dad was in the 24th ID during the war and was in the latter stages of the New Guinea campaign and then on into the Phillipines. I have always been interested in WWII, both the Pacific and European theatres. I'm glad so many people enjoy this game...it is a good one.

On another note...I like France and Germany, I spent 5 years of my life over there and had a great time:)

Sabre21

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 34
- 11/8/2002 3:25:24 AM   
zed

my interested started in the fourth grade when I read
"SAMURAI" by Saburo Sakai.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 35
Re: huh? - 11/8/2002 8:32:23 AM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luskan
[B]I thought that story ended with after the tin-legged pilot landed, he didn't want to wait (again) and went for a swim and drowned because of his leg . . .

Or maybe whoever told me that one was pulling my leg . . . [/B][/QUOTE]

Nah....some one was having a lend of ya. Do you really think that he would be dumb enough to go for a second swim?

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 36
- 11/9/2002 6:07:43 AM   
angus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zed
[B]my interested started in the fourth grade when I read
"SAMURAI" by Saburo Sakai. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah! This explains why you're playing the IJN. The first book I can remember reading about the war in the Pacific was William Manchester's [I]Goodbye Darkness[/I]. I guess that's why I'm playing the Yanks.

Vaguely related note, I just finished watching [I]Band of Brothers[/I] on TV for the [B]fourth[/B] time. So far it's been on the BBC, on French-language Belgian TV and on French TV dubbed in French and on Dutch-language Belgian TV with subtitles. And starting Sunday the BBC is showing it again so I'll be watching it for the fifth time. And if they show it on the right channels I'll be able to watch it with subtitles on Dutch TV and dubbed on German TV. By then it should be getting repeated in France or Belgium so I should get in the Guinness Book of Records sometime soon. Well, it's better than Buffy.

Angus

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 37
- 11/9/2002 6:43:40 AM   
Admiral_Arctic

I would always choose Buffy the Vampire Slayer over Band of Brothers anytime, any ep. Buffy -v- UV.

Buffy wins again.

I'm a hazard to myself.

Want. Take. Have.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 38
Non American Players - 11/10/2002 9:37:07 AM   
bill_k

I doubt if he even knows his self what he was tryiny to say.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Why the Pacific? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI