Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/26/2011 11:29:45 PM   
terje439

Turn 121

Overall
The Germans are heading back to Moscow which if you ask me is the worng move. They should have pushed from the north towards the south-east and rolled up my front. That being said, I am not in the clear in the north yet, but things could be worse.
The Axis perform 14 attacks and score 5 held, 7 retreats and 2 routs. We on the other hand, launch 13 attacks and score 2 held, 10 retreats and 1 surrender, as the Germans did not manage to break the pocket.
Losses at the end of the turn are reported to be 43.000 Axis troops, and 88.000 of ours.
With 195.000 pair of hands reporting to the manpower pool, it ends at 559 this turn.

Units
I formed one rifle corps and created 4 rifle divisions and 2 rifle brigades. Some of my points was spent on reassigning some HQs and units as the Bryansk Front was disbanded this turn.
Our forces grew by 123.000 soldiers this turn.

Units Captured
34th Infantry Division
46th Infantry Division
377th Infantry Division

Partisans
We were left with 29 active units after the Axis performed 13 anti-partisan attacks this turn. Those guys then seem to realize that they need to work for their supply, and performed 32 acts of sabotage. Now this is what I want to see every turn. In return they recieved 32 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:49:02 PM >

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 421
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/26/2011 11:34:28 PM   
Flaviusx

His CC is a mess. A possibly irrecoverable one now that it's mainly a corp based army.

The fundamental problem in this game, imo, is the Soviet has been behind the power curve by 6 months to a year and is playing catch up. Tank corps should have been completed 1 year ago. Rifle corps should have been started en masse from Jan 1 1943, and some Guards rifle corps should have been made back in 1942. Artillery divisions should have been started in October of 1942 and a good two dozen of those built. Etc. Etc.

You can't do all this stuff on the fly. The Soviet player needs to know all these things in advance and prepare for them and budget APs accordingly.

Instead, the Soviet entered 1943 with a mostly 1941 army and has been desperately trying to compress into a few months a process that takes a good two years.

I also don't believe he's been nearly as aggressive as he should be in counterattacking. Economy of force seems questionable.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 422
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 1:26:41 AM   
bigbaba

maybe he made a mistake by attacking with his tanks in the north wood&swamp terrain.

this could buy you some time to do some payback in the south.

in my game vs sj i was in a similar situation. surprised with the new german stregth after 1.05 i had no real defensive line to fall back in 42 and also could not give up too many menpower centers. once the german forces you out of your front fort line its a frustrating game for the russian.

realy nice that you still try to get out of the situation. much respect.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 423
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 2:35:59 AM   
M60A3TTS

I'll mention a couple things, Terje.

You said your refit policy is based on lowest units getting the troops. That is not really an ideal strategy as units which may be idle far from the critical fronts draws strength away from those that need it. If you do that, at least see if there are units on refit that are really not needing the additional men.

A corps in every hex. I think the fact that you lost confidence in the Soviet rifle division to hold their ground led you to put corps everywhere possible. That's really wasting APs. You might as well just stack 3 divisions in a hex if you are going to do that. At least then you have the flexibility to move divisions around that way. Then spend those same APs on other goodies like artillery divisions.

"I can't move a stack because now there is a panzer division there." Fine, attack another hex. He only has twenty-some panzer and SS divisions so they can't be everywhere. Get your artillery divisions in behind the guards rifle corps which have all their SUs with the Army HQ with a good leader that has artillery, sappers, etc. Then on top of that, you can ground bomb the hex for effect before the assault. But before that, it's little things like make sure your assault troops are not too tired and are at or near full strength. Again, that speaks towards managing refit. The Red Army really needs constant and active management to be successful.

You surprised me with the number of your units still on the map. More than I expected. But as Flaviusx said, your org is so scattered, half your troops are probably starving for supplies. Can't get to Berlin that way. Your opponent also has so many troops now, it's something of a long shot but see if you can hammer your way through where his fort line is thinnest. If you can get him in the open and not get swallowed up by his panzers you might yet get somewhere.

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 12/27/2011 2:36:34 AM >

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 424
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 10:09:10 AM   
terje439

Turn 122

Overall
Mud arrives, and I am grateful. I am slowly trying to reorganize the fronts after having done nothing but run run and run lately, but since the few points we have available are needed to build units, we will have to rearrange the front by walking. This will take some time, but I think it is relatively safe during mud. The Axis make no attacks this turn, while we make 1 scoring a surrender in the south.

Units
1 rifle corps is formed, and the construction of 4 rifle divisions and 2 rifle brigades is undertaken this turn.
Our forces grew by 114.000 soldiers.

Units Captured
3rd Rumanian Infantry Division

Partisans
And then we are down to a meagre 12 sabotague actions. And for this we send 30 supply drops. Those partisans needs a commissar with them to up their work morale it seems. After the Axis chase 16 units away, we are left with 30 units on the map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:49:14 PM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 425
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 10:10:32 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

His CC is a mess. A possibly irrecoverable one now that it's mainly a corp based army.

The fundamental problem in this game, imo, is the Soviet has been behind the power curve by 6 months to a year and is playing catch up. Tank corps should have been completed 1 year ago. Rifle corps should have been started en masse from Jan 1 1943, and some Guards rifle corps should have been made back in 1942. Artillery divisions should have been started in October of 1942 and a good two dozen of those built. Etc. Etc.

You can't do all this stuff on the fly. The Soviet player needs to know all these things in advance and prepare for them and budget APs accordingly.

Instead, the Soviet entered 1943 with a mostly 1941 army and has been desperately trying to compress into a few months a process that takes a good two years.

I also don't believe he's been nearly as aggressive as he should be in counterattacking. Economy of force seems questionable.

Aka, don't play pbem as the USSR when you are learning as you go on

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 426
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 10:15:00 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

maybe he made a mistake by attacking with his tanks in the north wood&swamp terrain.

this could buy you some time to do some payback in the south.

in my game vs sj i was in a similar situation. surprised with the new german stregth after 1.05 i had no real defensive line to fall back in 42 and also could not give up too many menpower centers. once the german forces you out of your front fort line its a frustrating game for the russian.

realy nice that you still try to get out of the situation. much respect.

Not really, he did make a mistake by first delaying to capture the divisions in the north instead of pushing south, but when he did, he should have pushed harder eastwards and gone around my unanchored flank. As things seem now, he only has 4 rifle divisions up there, but it is hard to detect those units in the woods, so there can be more there.

Nah, the game is lost, nothing I can do about that. If you ask me, I lost the game during the summer of -42, lost too many units. Now it is all about denying the Axis an autovictory, losing as few cities as possible, and capture as many units as possible.

When I started the game, I said to my opponent I was in for the long haul, that goes even if the game is lost.

Terje

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 427
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 10:25:54 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I'll mention a couple things, Terje.

1. You said your refit policy is based on lowest units getting the troops. That is not really an ideal strategy as units which may be idle far from the critical fronts draws strength away from those that need it. If you do that, at least see if there are units on refit that are really not needing the additional men.

2. A corps in every hex. I think the fact that you lost confidence in the Soviet rifle division to hold their ground led you to put corps everywhere possible. That's really wasting APs. You might as well just stack 3 divisions in a hex if you are going to do that. At least then you have the flexibility to move divisions around that way. Then spend those same APs on other goodies like artillery divisions.

3. "I can't move a stack because now there is a panzer division there." Fine, attack another hex. He only has twenty-some panzer and SS divisions so they can't be everywhere. Get your artillery divisions in behind the guards rifle corps which have all their SUs with the Army HQ with a good leader that has artillery, sappers, etc. Then on top of that, you can ground bomb the hex for effect before the assault. But before that, it's little things like make sure your assault troops are not too tired and are at or near full strength. Again, that speaks towards managing refit. The Red Army really needs constant and active management to be successful.

4. You surprised me with the number of your units still on the map. More than I expected. But as Flaviusx said, your org is so scattered, half your troops are probably starving for supplies. Can't get to Berlin that way. Your opponent also has so many troops now, it's something of a long shot but see if you can hammer your way through where his fort line is thinnest. If you can get him in the open and not get swallowed up by his panzers you might yet get somewhere.

1. That was when there was still an organized frontline and units did not lose alot of troops turn after turn. At that time it seemed to work fine as in the end all unattacked units were above 60% strength. And yes, I checked every turn and switched refit off for units with TOE at 80+ (in the start I used 90+).

2. Well, the divisions fled as soon as anyone sneezed. They cannot hold, but I agree to the idea of keeping a division at the frontline. But in the future I will not be happy with my line before I have a division in front and a 3 high stack of corps behind it. The Germans laugh at divisions it seems, the corps atleast add some punch when they have some SUs attached.

3. True, and I never said I would not do so, but my point was more a "those godamn panzers are used to stop my advance wherever I get more than a few hexes deep", so they are stopping any breakthrough effect. A usual attack by me would look something like this;
a) fly as many bombing missions as possible against the target stack
b) make sure I have atleast 2:1 in unmodified CV, and use available artillery.
Were things ever as good as I would like them in this game? No. Again I will claim that I lost too many units in -42.

4. Nope not possible. The game is lost and has been for some time, now it is all about setting new goals for myself untill the end. We will go down kicking and screaming, but I have no possibility of any breakthrough for atleast 3 months. I need alot more rifle corps to form some sort of proper line, and move the HQ Zhukov to wherever I want to make the breakthrough, but for now the main issue is reaaranging the fronts.

Terje

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 428
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 6:30:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Terje

Terje, don't say that! I always try to see the glass half full. A positive thing: you almost have the Red Army 2.0: lots of corps. You can't reassign them though, that you can't afford it. Now if you calculate the length of the whole front (let's say 132 hexes) and divide by the number of fronts you will know the area they should be (more or less) covering. Then assign a part of the front to each of the Front HQs. Then you should be railing the units to their correct front. First of all you really need a rational organization. If you have it, everything should be fine.

And above all, keep playing, see you in Berlin

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 429
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 9:47:27 PM   
terje439

Turn 123

Overall
Still muddy, and I keep on rearranging the front (although todays picture is taken before I started to move units around). South of Moscow things are mostly peachy with purple - purple - purple - blue - blue - blue etc etc, but in the north, I estimate another two turns before things look as they should. The Axis launched one attack and scored a retreat, no big loss. They might think they are denying me the oppertunity of digging in, but I do not intend to hold the bulge anyway, but the more time I hold it, the more I can dig in to the rear.
Losses this turn are rather light, with 25.000 Axis troops listed as casualties, and 66.000 on our side.
The manpower pool recieves a total of 180.000 workers this turn, and ends at 15.

Units
I form 2 rifle corps (yes, I know you want me to use divisions, but that is not going to happen apart from now in the mud, the available divisions are at the front), and order the formation of 2 rifle divisions, a rifle brigade and 3 mortar brigades.
Our units grew by a total of 114.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisans
This turn it was the pilots that let us down, only 16 supply drops is not at all enough. After the Axis force 15 units to retreat, we are left with 33 units on the map, these guys then manage 24 acts of sabotague.

Planning
I am contemplating an offensive as soon as the winter hits, but not 100% sold on it yet, I will keep to fly recons to see if the situation changes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:49:25 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 430
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/27/2011 9:52:51 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Terje

Terje, don't say that! I always try to see the glass half full. A positive thing: you almost have the Red Army 2.0: lots of corps. You can't reassign them though, that you can't afford it. Now if you calculate the length of the whole front (let's say 132 hexes) and divide by the number of fronts you will know the area they should be (more or less) covering. Then assign a part of the front to each of the Front HQs. Then you should be railing the units to their correct front. First of all you really need a rational organization. If you have it, everything should be fine.

And above all, keep playing, see you in Berlin

Hehe. I think I am seeing this optimistically, by setting myself new goals
And if the reply sounded harsh, that was never the intention, hence the behind it. Flaviusx made alot of good points, however as stated when I started this AAR, I have NO idea what I am doing, I learn as I go along. I never started the game to make sure I win it, I wanted to learn the game better, and from my experience it is better to do so with a pbem game than one vs the AI.

As to how to divide the fronts, yes I understand all that, and that is the situation (and has been all along) in the south, however after a rout such as just happened in the north, things will look bad, atleast for me, as my idea was "flee, run for your lifes! Live to fight another day", so I moved them back as best I could. True, there were also some units there earlier that had the "wrong" colour, but that was to add strength as the front collapsed. And as allready stated, I really do not think spending those precious points on changing HQs is my best bet right now.

Terje

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 431
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/28/2011 6:18:37 AM   
terje439

Turn 124

Overall
The conditions are still muddy, and we are slowly getting our fronts organized. No attacks from wither side this turn means that losses are very light, at 23.000 and 58.000 respectively.
185.000 workers report to the manpower pool, ending it at 634.

Units
I form 2 rifle corps and 1 Guards Rifle Corps, and order the construction of 3 mechanized brigades.
Our forces grows by 113.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisans[/I]
17 sabotague actions and 20 supply drops is not alot, but it will have to do as it all that is performed. The Axis force 17 units to retreat, leaving us with 27 active units.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:49:48 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 432
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/28/2011 9:46:08 PM   
terje439

Turn 125

Overall
The mud continues, and that slows down the relocation of units, but we are getting there albeit slowly. The attack planned in the north was obvious to the Axis as well, and more troops are spotted there now. No attacks are made by either side.
Losses are reported as 24.000 Axis troops and 49.000 USSR soldiers.
The manpower pool ends at 1 after reciving 182.000 workers this turn.

Units
I order the formation of one rifle corps and 2 guards rifle corps as well as start the creation of 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade. Our forces grew by 133.000 this turn.

Partisans
21 sabotague actions are undertaken by the 29 units left on the map after the Axis chase 13 units away. They are rewarded by 23 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:49:58 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 433
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/28/2011 11:55:57 PM   
randallw

Don't forget that armor does not attack into swamp hexes well. 

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 434
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/29/2011 6:07:22 PM   
Baelfiin

Those PzGr showing up at vologda could mean the start of a winter offensive from north to south aimed at pocketing the vishny volochek bulge.

The german infantry should be starting to fade away now also as their ToEs drop.

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 435
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/29/2011 6:28:12 PM   
terje439

Turn 126

Overall
The first snow arrives, and my infantry divisions shows me once more that the only thing they do well, is to rout. Anyway, the Axis launch 18 attacks all along the line, scoring 2 held (corps on defense), 8 retreats (again corps) and 8 rout (all divisions...). We launch 9 attacks and get 1 held and 8 retreats. The good thing this turn however is the loss ratio. At the end of the turn, reports claim 48.000 Axis dead and 71.000 of our soldiers. That is a ratio I'll take anyday.
The Manpower pool recieves a total of 185.000 workers this turn, and ends at 92.

Units
I form 1 guards rifle corps (need another guards division for another now), a mechanized corps. Then I allow some of my HQs to spend a total of 15 points on SUs (these will be attached to my guards first), and order the construction of 3 mortar brigades.
Our forces grew by 123.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisans
15 acts of sabotage this turn, and 25 supply drops. After the Axis force 13 units to retreat, we are left with 28 active units.

Note
I find it far more fun to attack Rumanians, Hungarians and Italians, THEY rout. I guess that is why most of them are supported by German units

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:50:08 PM >

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 436
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/29/2011 6:29:48 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

Don't forget that armor does not attack into swamp hexes well. 

True, my aim was to cut above those two swamp hexes far north, and end up south of the large swamp next to the reservoir. Not going to happen now though, but I might be able to force some holes in the front and surround 1 or two units at a time unless the Germans bring more high-end units up there.

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 437
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/29/2011 6:31:39 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

1. Those PzGr showing up at vologda could mean the start of a winter offensive from north to south aimed at pocketing the vishny volochek bulge.

2. The german infantry should be starting to fade away now also as their ToEs drop.

1. I wish so, that should get interesting as that means they will go toe to toe with HQ Zhukov.

2. They are, alot of German 3-5 (offensive) CV infantry divisions now. This also means I can attack on most places, I just need to keep an eye out for those panzer stacks.

Terje

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 438
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/29/2011 9:14:15 PM   
randallw

I'm surprised you don't have a large truck deficit, with all those mech corps deployed.  Are you short on tank corps?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 439
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/29/2011 11:55:38 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

I'm surprised you don't have a large truck deficit, with all those mech corps deployed.  Are you short on tank corps?

Vehicle pool is at 129.000 at the moment.
Well since I lost a few tank corps in the last German offensive, I guess I am shy a few (3-5 somewhere) from the recommended 24.

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 440
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/29/2011 11:56:59 PM   
Baelfiin

big increase in lend lease trucks in 1943 also

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 441
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 1:41:07 PM   
terje439

Turn 127

Overall
The German Panzer Divisions show up and make a small pocket around two of my rifle corps. This time however we are pleased to see that we are able to a) kill alot of tanks (AFV losses this turn is 254:246 (G:U)), and b) reopen a pocket. Further north HQ Zhukov is displeased to see the direction of two German retreats, as they denies us the ability to pocket a German division (in hindsight, I should have made the first attack, moved in my mech units, THEN launched the second attack).
The Axis score 1 held, 10 retreat and 2 rout for a total of 13 attacks this turn, while we manage 16 attacks for 2 held and 14 retreats.
As earlier mentioned, the tank losses were (for this game atleast) high this turn, however there is something to add to those numbers, about 50 of the German losses were obsolete Check models, however 20 panthers, 50 PzIIIm and 50 PzIVg's were also killed. Half of our losses were T34-1942 model.
Total losses in terms of killed troops were 54.000 for the Axis, and 98.000 for us.
With a total of 171.000 men and women reporting to the manpower pool, it ends at 2.930 this turn.

Units
One rifle corps is formed this turn, and we order the construction of 4 rifle divisions and 2 rifle brigades.
Our units grew by a total of 93.000 soldiers.

Partisans
A poor turn for our partisans. After the Axis chase away 14 units, we are left with 28 active units on the map. These guys only manage 8 sabotague missions this turn, and are only given 17 supply drops as a reward.

Thoughts
If I can contain the Panzer divisions for a few more turns, I think I can defeat the German north flank.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:51:27 PM >

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 442
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 2:40:02 PM   
terje439

And a question;
Alot of my corps get have one division with guard status. Do people break these down and reform as many guards rifle corps as possible, or should I keep the existing corps as it is and allow it to slowly gain guard status?

Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 443
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 2:52:10 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

And a question;
Alot of my corps get have one division with guard status. Do people break these down and reform as many guards rifle corps as possible, or should I keep the existing corps as it is and allow it to slowly gain guard status?

Terje

From the manual:
There is no admin point cost for any subsequent break down and build up of a corps using the same divisions it was initially built from.

Once you reformed the corps you broke down that had originally different units, you will pay the APs to rebuild it, on top of the next set of APs to build the new guards corps. Doesn't seem worth the cost.

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 12/30/2011 2:53:25 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 444
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 2:52:51 PM   
Q-Ball

It's November 1943, and the German player here continues to hold the initiative.

For the gallery, is this because of a) Soviet play, or b) problem with too-strong-Germans, or c) bit of both?

The late war Soviet morale is maybe too high, not too low; Terje, you should be seeing some morale boosts by now, because your NM should be over 50 at this point; am I correct?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 445
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 2:59:34 PM   
Flaviusx

Mostly Soviet errors. Poor force management, and bad economy of force. Rifle corps are being wasted on static fronts that could be held by divisions or corps breakdowns, and corps aren't being properly concentrated to create offensive masses. CC is utterly broken down, probably for good, because the AP budget won't be enough to straighten it out any time soon if ever.

For all of that, I think the German tide is ebbing. They can't take 50k losses/turn for very long. It's a very long ways to Berlin from here, though.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 446
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 5:54:23 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

It's November 1943, and the German player here continues to hold the initiative.

For the gallery, is this because of a) Soviet play, or b) problem with too-strong-Germans, or c) bit of both?

The late war Soviet morale is maybe too high, not too low; Terje, you should be seeing some morale boosts by now, because your NM should be over 50 at this point; am I correct?

Hmm, c due to b due to a?
The problem I face is that I have played poorly for sure, but then again there is not much I can do against those panzer stacks unless I want to make attacks that are bound to fail.
So, there is a bit of both, I am forced to watch the German panzer division, BUT
they are only so strong because I have played poorly.

Indeed, I spotted a 19CV Guard Rifle Corps this turn, and movement seems to be better. However on the fronts I am being attacked, the units lose morale very quickly as they are usually retreating (1 loss), then attacked again and forced to retreat. Again this most likely has to do with my gameplay more than anything else.

Terje

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 447
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 5:57:02 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

1. Mostly Soviet errors. Poor force management, and bad economy of force.
2. Rifle corps are being wasted on static fronts that could be held by divisions or corps breakdowns, and corps aren't being properly concentrated to create offensive masses.
3. CC is utterly broken down, probably for good, because the AP budget won't be enough to straighten it out any time soon if ever.

4. For all of that, I think the German tide is ebbing. They can't take 50k losses/turn for very long.
5. It's a very long ways to Berlin from here, though.

1. True
2. But my headache is that the second I try to hold anything larger than a cup of water with a division, the Axis attack, rout the division and then make alot of pockets. You can say what you want, but I will not defend with divisions anymore.
3. So I hear you say, in my oppinion it is not as bad as you make it seem, but that is just me.
4. True. I hope.
5. Absolutely true.

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 448
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 5:57:55 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

quote:

And a question;

Terje

From the manual:
There is no admin point cost for any subsequent break down and build up of a corps using the same divisions it was initially built from.

Once you reformed the corps you broke down that had originally different units, you will pay the APs to rebuild it, on top of the next set of APs to build the new guards corps. Doesn't seem worth the cost.

Pretty much my take on it, will keep at it as I have then :)
Thank you.

Terje

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 449
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 6:23:39 PM   
Baelfiin

Is it even possible to re-attach divisions from an existing corp to the form a new corp?

On a side note: Hang in there Terje 8)

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI