Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 11:22:28 PM   
terje439

Turn 128

Breaking news
Vologda liberated

Overall
As allready seen, after hard hard not to mention severe...marching, we manage to liberate Vologda. In other words, we drove into the abandoned city
This turn the Axis have learned their lesson, and seal off a rifle corps, this time with two layers of panzer stacks, those men are doomed, but I do not really feel it as a loss. It would have been far worse if those panzers had tried to cut off larger parts of my front, so I am actually quite happy.
Another bad turn if you drive an AFV, as the Axis lose 297 and we lose 327. If it is true that quantity holds a quality of its own, then I am very happy with those numbers. Trading T34s for Panthers is something I like, after all we are trading massproduced ugly tanks for beautiful sexy-lined steel beast.
But losses were quite high in all sectors, and the casualty lists claim 60.000 dead Axis soldiers, and 106.000 of ours this turn. This was the result of 7 Axis attacks (1 held, 5 retreat and 1 rout) and 20 attacks from us (5 held and 15 retreats).
With 168.000 workers reporting to the manpower pool this turn, it ends at 6.025

Units
I order the creation of 4 rifle divisions and 2 rifle brigades in the south this turn, and spend the rest of the points to allocate some SUs to alot of my guard units in the south.
Our forces grew by 77.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisans
Another abysmal turn for our partisans. After the Axis force 12 units to retreat, we are left with a total of 25 units that only manage 7 sabotague missions this turn. In return they get 20 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:51:46 PM >

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 451
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 11:23:04 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

On a side note: Hang in there Terje 8)

No worries, as previously stated, this game goes to the bitter end

Terje

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 452
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 11:28:54 PM   
Flaviusx

The trend is good, keep it up. He can't afford to trade blows like this for very long. It's late in the day, but I do believe you've turned it around. Just keep grinding away.

PS Stop worrying so much about your partisans. Once the German has set up his security net correctly, they cease to have much influence on the game. They will annoy him a bit, nothing more. The main thing isn't the attacks they conduct, rather, it's the forces they make the Axis commit to keep them down to a dull roar. After that the whole partisan war is more or less on autopilot for both sides.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 12/30/2011 11:32:11 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 453
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/30/2011 11:40:09 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

The trend is good, keep it up. He can't afford to trade blows like this for very long. It's late in the day, but I do believe you've turned it around. Just keep grinding away.

PS Stop worrying so much about your partisans. Once the German has set up his security net correctly, they cease to have much influence on the game. They will annoy him a bit, nothing more. The main thing isn't the attacks they conduct, rather, it's the forces they make the Axis commit to keep them down to a dull roar. After that the whole partisan war is more or less on autopilot for both sides.

Ah but you forget one important aspect of the partisan "minigame", and that is MY morale boost

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 454
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 12:05:08 AM   
DTurtle

Just in case you didn't know: You can fly supply missions to the partisans manually. To do so, you have to select air supply missions, choose night flying, and then select an air field with transports/bombers with night missions turned on. You can only fly those supply missions with planes that haven't flown yet this turn. No idea if it is worth it, but hey, can't hurt trying...

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 455
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 2:44:00 AM   
terje439

Turn 129

Overall
We push and we probe, and when this turn started, the enemy had fallen back two hexes a few places in the south, so we moved in but could not launch attacks in all locations. The Axis keep pushing with his panzers, but the salient he is trying to seal off is going to be hard to take as it should be too well defended now. In the northern most parts of the front, we keep on pushing, and see a sign that there is a lack of units for the Axis by now, as several hexes are held by lone Finnish Infantry divisions. These are easy pickings out in the open. Good, a threat in the north should cause some concern for the Axis I think. Add the fact that several places in the south the Axis front is leaking. Not to the extent that I can move units through just yet, but more like a dam about to burst. You can see the cracks forming, and I think that when it finally ruptures, the effect might be drastic for the Axis since that part is largely held by his minors.
We only managed 16 attacks this turn, scoring 2 held and 14 retreats while the Axis score 3 held, 7 retreat and 2 surrender for a total of 12 attacks.
Losses are high once more (I did a few mistakes last turn that cost me dearly I am afraid), with 300 to 800 AFVs lost, and 61.000 to 163.000 soldiers.

Stupid is as stupid does
I just wanted to give the Axis panzers a scare, and attacked three panzer divisions stacked together with just about anything I could get into the fight. I did inflict some serious casualties on those divisions (aprox 2.000 men and 100 AFVs), but I cannot say it was worth it since my losses were just above 10.000 men and 300 AFVs in that battle. Oh well, the defensive value of that enemy stack went down. Alot. Maybe it will bring some caution to them. Too bad we only destroyed 3 tigers and 20 panthers, the rest being PzIII and IVs.

Units
We lose 1 rifle corps, 1 cavalry corps and 1 AT artillery brigade this turn after the Axis cut them off last turn. The Axis also managed to pocket a rifle corps this turn, and once more I cannot save it.
2 rifle corps are formed, and we order the construction of 2 rifle divisions, 1 rifle brigade and 2 mortar brigades.
With heavy losses, the overall net increase of our army is a lousy 26.000 this turn.

Partisans
6 anti-partisan attacks by the Axis is interesting. He should see alot more of them, so does this mean he is moving any available unit to the front??
After the Axis have made their attacks, we are left with 29 active units who make 16 sabotague actions this turn, but only recieve 12 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:51:56 PM >

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 456
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 2:44:51 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: DTurtle

Just in case you didn't know: You can fly supply missions to the partisans manually. To do so, you have to select air supply missions, choose night flying, and then select an air field with transports/bombers with night missions turned on. You can only fly those supply missions with planes that haven't flown yet this turn. No idea if it is worth it, but hey, can't hurt trying...

Oh did not know that, nice to know. Thank you

Terje

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 457
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 3:10:59 AM   
juret

how does your production looks? how many t-34 u make per turn? all factories intact since 41?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 458
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 3:14:53 PM   
terje439

Turn 130

Overall
The Axis keep on bashing against our rifle corps in the Moscow area, good. If they want to exhaust their panzer divisions this way, I am happy. My opponent also revealed that one of his units have went from 33 to 21 CV in the few turns of winter we have had so far. That being said, I have quite a few rifle corps that are pretty beaten up, however I have a small surplus in this area, so I am able to rotate them somewhat, although I cannot get them up to their max CV (aprox 10), but have to send them back when they are at 6-8, but still it helps.
We on the other hand keep pushing and prodding all along the front, and I really think the Axis has problems in the south right now. All in all we launch 20 attacks and score 4 held and 16 retreats this turn, while the Axis launch a total of 10 attacks for 1 held, 7 retreats, 1 rout and 1 surrender. The German losses seems low as the report claims 27.000 of their soldiers died, and that they lost 90 AFVs (math shows 134...) this turn. According to the same report we lose 94.000 soldiers and 289 AFVs.
180.000 workers report to the manpower pool this turn, ending it at 5.668.

Units
We lose a rifle corps as expected, and order the formation of two rifle corps this turn. We also order the construction of a rifle brigade and two rifle divisions in the south as that is where I want more forces there.
The army grew by a total of 98.000 soldiers this turn.
This turn I find room to do something I should have done earlier, but I needed those guys to bash the German panzers, as I send a total of 17 aerial units to the reserves for some R&R. Once more it is the TACs that make up most of the low morale units, with 15, the other two being a TRS and a LB.

Loss inconsistency once more
Axis combat losses were reported at 27.000, yet simple math shows them at 44.000 if I look at the battle reports...

Request of this turn
Juret wondered about my T-34 production, so I will post all AFV production;
T-70 : 180
T-34 : 310
Sherman : 34
Valentine IX : 26
IS : 6
OT-34 : 12
SU-85 : 39
ISU-152 : 22
SU-57 : 8
SU-76M : 126
BA-64 : 60
Have I lost any factories? No idea, I know I lost some factories in the first ten turns, but I do not recall just what.

Partisans
10 units were forced to retreat this turn leaving 24 on the map. As a result we only manage 7 sabotague actions and sadly also a mere 9 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:52:07 PM >

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 459
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 5:56:52 PM   
Flaviusx

The turn report refreshes itself and can lead to inconsistent results; the battle reports are more accurate if this happens.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 460
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 6:04:16 PM   
terje439

quote:

The turn report refreshes itself and can lead to inconsistent results; the battle reports are more accurate if this happens.

Ok, then I will check those when I see abnormal low results on the losses report. Thank you once more

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 461
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 6:14:34 PM   
terje439

Turn 131 aka slugfest

Overall
Although there are no more attacks this turn than the previous ones, this turn is savage. Losses are reported as;
Axis : 78.000 soldiers and 310 AFVs
USSR : 133.000 soldiers and no less than 915 AFVs (alot of whihc are T-34s)
After seing these numbers I went to see my active T-34 pool, and was happy to see it ended the turn at 8.335.
To achieve such numbers, we launched 23 attacks for 3 held and 20 retreats, while the Axis scored 1 held, 7 retreats and 2 routs for a total of 10 attacks. Two of the Axis retreat results just drives me further into the "rifle corps or bust"-camp (sole inhabitant, me) as two rifle divisions (CV of 3 both) are attacked by RUMANIANS!!! across the Don and retreat...

171.000 workers report to the manpower pool this turn, so it ends at 4.891.

Units
One rifle corps is formed this turn, and we order the construction of 4 rifle divisions and 2 rifle brigades. Our forces grows by 44.000 despite heavy losses this turn. Let us hope this slugging keeps on, in terms of manpower I can take it.

Partisans
A mere 5 supply drops are made, yet the 33 active units, that remain after 5 are chased away, manage to perform 18 sabotague missions.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:52:18 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 462
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 6:45:05 PM   
Flaviusx

You will burn him out in 2-3 months at this rate, and yes, you can afford these losses. He cannot.

Keep slugging away. You're behind schedule, but if you reduce the Wehrmacht to ants and cooks and clerks, you may yet make up for lost time.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 463
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 7:04:57 PM   
juret

u have 8.335.t-34 1942 in your pool?
basicly u make 600 afv per turn, realy good. start use em in units or burn em up and make losses for axis.

how many heawy tanks u got in pool?
dude start make some tank SU and divide. easy way to raise CV. u dont just need tank corps, make medium and heawy tank SU.

german tank production is like 100 ? at this time in game. try keep hes lossses of tanks above new production and hes tank units cant replenish and will looose cv. Hes inf already weaker then yours.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 464
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 7:08:11 PM   
terje439

quote:

You will burn him out in 2-3 months at this rate, and yes, you can afford these losses. He cannot.

Keep slugging away. You're behind schedule, but if you reduce the Wehrmacht to ants and cooks and clerks, you may yet make up for lost time.

Still, was coffee all over my screen when I opened the losses screen
Will do my best, but the question now seems more, how long will he keep on attacking, allowing me to get such numbers.

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 465
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 7:13:51 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

1. u have 8.335.t-34 1942 in your pool?
2. basicly u make 600 afv per turn, realy good. start use em in units or burn em up and make losses for axis.

3. how many heawy tanks u got in pool?
4. dude start make some tank SU and divide. easy way to raise CV. u dont just need tank corps, make medium and heawy tank SU.

5. german tank production is like 100 ? at this time in game. try keep hes lossses of tanks above new production and hes tank units cant replenish and will looose cv.
6. Hes inf already weaker then yours.

1. Well I HAD, shouldbe somewhat less now

2. Oh I do, I have tank corps, cav corps, mech corps, and tank-SUs that all use them, I just try to not get in such a situation as pictured above, since I think that almost 250 of my lost AFVs were a "waste" occuring only because I placed the wrong unit in the wrong hex.

3. Will check next turn.

4. I have for quite some time, but this is the first time in ages I am at a point where I occasionally have spare points. Most of my guards have atleast one tank SU attached.

5. I am always targeting any German mech/panzer division that can be attacked with a chance to succeed, but if he stacks 3 Panzer divisions together, they become The Untouchables

6. His infantry divisions are weaker than my infantry corps, that is true, but my divisions still run from Rumanians...

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 466
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 8:04:00 PM   
terje439

Turn 132

Overall
Another turn with heavy losses on both sides. The Axis only launch 4 attacks this turn, and that sets off all sorts of alarms in my head. Is he up to something? Nevertheless, all his attacks score a retreat as result. We launch 25 attacks and gain 7 held and 18 retreats. Once more I see more 1.9 : 1 than I want to .
As the reports are completed, losses are listed as;
Axis : 72.000 troops and 283 AFVs
USSR : 134.000 soldiers and 600 AFVs
As a total of 179.000 workers arrive at the manpower pool, it ends at 12.825 this turn.

Units
Another 7 aerial units are given some rest, 5 TACs, 1 TRS and 1 LB. It seems the TACs are really unhappy about something...
We form yet another rifle corps, and order the creation of 2 rifle divisions, 1 rifle brigade and 3 rocket launcher divisions this turn.
Our forces continue to grow, this turn by 40.000 soldiers.

Units Shattered
1st Rumanian Infantry Division is shattered this turn.

Do you think I...
Have produced enough AA units (see below)

Partisans
The 28 active units, that are left after 15 units are chased away by the Axis, manage 12 sabotague actions this turn. Due to longer ranges as well as a few TRS units in the reserves, we only manage 6 supply drops this turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:52:30 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 467
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 8:30:13 PM   
juret

u got to many flames tanks produce 12 each turn and have almost 800 in 4 units. flame tanks are good SU for guard inf corps fighting other inf.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 468
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 8:51:17 PM   
M60A3TTS

Will you post another OOB please?

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 469
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 8:56:27 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Will you post another OOB please?

Sure, from the start of turn 129

Attachment (1)

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 470
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 8:57:16 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

u got to many flames tanks produce 12 each turn and have almost 800 in 4 units. flame tanks are good SU for guard inf corps fighting other inf.

Yes, I noticed that as well, guess I will have to make some more of those,

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 471
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 9:15:11 PM   
randallw

Just try not to have too many of those flame tanks killed per turn.  That production rate of 12 will not go up, no matter how many you get killed. 

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 472
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 9:38:54 PM   
Texasgrunt

Are you having any luck wearing downthe LW air force? not the transports and recon planes - the fighters and bombers. Continuing arifield attacks eventually wear them down.

Destroy the enemy's army, then you can do what you will with his land, cattle and women.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 473
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 9:54:30 PM   
terje439

Turn 133 aka turning it up even more

Overall
The fierce fighting continues, and the Axis pays a heavy price this turn.
The Axis launch a total of 10 attacks for 2 held and 8 retreats, while we manage 26 attacks for 1 held and 25 retreats. 2 of the retreats were "chain-attacks" on a panzer and a mechanized division, those should be in need of some R&R now.
The loss report claims;
Axis : 90.000 troops and 476 AFVs
USSR : 122.000 troops and 399 AFVs
The manpower pool ends at 1.881 this turn after reciving 185.000 workers.

Units
This turn I could not afford to send any planes to rest as a small situation threathened to take place in the Moscow sector (in the end we more or less broke a few panzer divisions instead ). I form 2 rifle corps and order the construction of 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade. I then spen 11 points on SUs.
Our forces manage to grow by 61.000 despite heavy losses.

Units destroyed
The German 702 SP Infantry Gun Company is no more.

OOB
Just so you can compare between two turns, OOB attached this turn as well.

Partisans
The Axis keep attacking our partisans, and force 11 units to retreat this turn. This leaves 26 active at the end of the turn. These guys manage 21 sabotague actions, and are rewarded with 7 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:52:52 PM >

(in reply to Texasgrunt)
Post #: 474
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 9:55:20 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

Just try not to have too many of those flame tanks killed per turn.  That production rate of 12 will not go up, no matter how many you get killed. 

Ahhh, but losing LOTS of tanks in one turn is THE thing I am good at

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 475
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/31/2011 9:57:38 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texasgrunt

Are you having any luck wearing downthe LW air force? not the transports and recon planes - the fighters and bombers. Continuing arifield attacks eventually wear them down.

I did that for the first two years (aprox.), but now I find my bombers of more use when they attack German units in the open. They usually account for something like 2.000 troops, 100 guns and 20 AFVs per turn. Moreover the Axis aerial attacks are not a big concern now, the most annoying thing about them is when they strike my moving units.

Terje

(in reply to Texasgrunt)
Post #: 476
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 12:48:02 AM   
terje439

Since it is now officially 2012 in Norway;

Happy New Year to all of you and your loved ones!

Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 477
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 2:15:25 AM   
terje439

Turn 134

Overall
The fighting goes on, but it seems the Axis are thinking about defending now, as they only launch 2 attacks, scoring 2 retreats. We launch 26 attacks, unfortunately we get 7 helds, the last 19 attacks cause retreats. The Axis seem to have severe difficulties in the Voronezh area.
The losses are reported as;
Axis : 68.000 troops and 315 AFVs (top 3 types being PzIIIm 94, PzIVh 58, Panther (A and D) 45).
USSR : 109.000 troops, 465 AFVs.
181.000 workers report to the manpower pool, ending it at 3.992.

Units
Another 16 aerial units are given a vacation, this time 15 TACs and 1 LB.
We form another rifle corps, and then we order the creation of 2 rifle division and 2 rifle brigades (I have two guard divisions in need of that "extra" brigade"). The rest of my points are spent on handing out various SUs to some of my guards.
Our forces still grows despite heavy losses, this turn by 52.000.

Units destroyed
The German 705 SP infantry gun company is destroyed this turn. Every little bit helps.

Partisans
3 acts of sabotague is performed by the 24 units that are active after 12 are forced to retreat. Only 8 supply drops were flown.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:53:04 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 478
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 4:03:28 AM   
randallw

It does look like things are turning your way a bit; the loss ratios, both in manpower and tanks, for the last few turns, is bad for the Axis.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 479
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 11:58:01 AM   
gingerbread

You are 3 turns out of synch - you state "Turn 131" but the screen shot shows Turn: 134. This has been the case for some turns.

Also, "181.000 workers report to the manpower pool,(...)" - is this from the event log? The Manpower multiplier for '43 should be 40 and I doubt that you have 4500 Manpower Cities/Towns.

What have you done with the impressive concentration of Mech Corps in the north? First I thought that that is not terrain suitable for mech units, but then I realized that the Axis player also would think so - have you managed any advances up there after Vologda?

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI