Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Before teleprompters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Before teleprompters Page: <<   < prev  200 201 [202] 203 204   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 2:18:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

You're up early Capt Mandrake.

New Year's resolution. I have resolved to not let little things like the rotation of the Earth on its axis get in myway.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 6031
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 3:13:36 PM   
BrucePowers

So, when do you sleep?

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 6032
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/2/2012 3:40:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Just thinking about how to hide the transports for 3 divisions and support.

The following is probably a stupid question. Or, if you subscribe to that POV that there are no stupid questions, then this is a question from an inquisitive idiot.

Nonetheless, here's my question: Are Australian 6th and 7th Divisions unrestricted? Will you be able to get them on *any* transport?

I don't stoop to playing the Allies, so I genuinely don't know where these units are (restriction-wise) at this point in time.

Post #: 6033
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/2/2012 3:47:44 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

The following is probably a stupid question. Or, if you subscribe to that POV that there are no stupid questions, then this is a question from an inquisitive idiot.

Nonetheless, here's my question: Are Australian 6th and 7th Divisions unrestricted? Will you be able to get them on *any* transport?

I don't stoop to playing the Allies, so I genuinely don't know where these units are (restriction-wise) at this point in time.

The 6th & 7th Division belong to the AUS I Corps and are unrestrcited ...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6034
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/2/2012 4:01:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

Danke.

Are they the only Aussie Divs that are unrestricted?

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6035
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/2/2012 4:13:19 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

Danke.

Are they the only Aussie Divs that are unrestricted?

Yes ... the "dead" division from Singapore comes back as restricted [if bought out] ..

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6036
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 6:38:47 PM   
Moondawggie

quote:

************Nov. 12, 1942(c)************

Oz: JJ sent in a night bombardment force to Exmouth. This time we were ready for them. The transport pulled back toward Carnavon an a combined Allied crusier force was waiting.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Exmouth at 50,129, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 9, heavy fires
CL Yubari, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Akikaze, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
DD Suruyame, Shell hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Canberra
CL Boise
CL Honolulu
DD Caldwell
DD Sims, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Dale
DD Banckert

That was a serious "ass-hander", as in, "Masao got his ass handed to him". I don't think Kinugasa will be bothering us for a while.

Hey, nicely done!

You know, these reports about tactical actions are really interesting. You might consider posting them more often

And, on this fabulous Bowl Game Monday: Go Stanford! It's gonna be Andrew Luck's night at the Fiesta Bowl.

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 6037
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 7:37:17 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

New Year's resolution. I have resolved to not let little things like the rotation of the Earth on its axis get in myway.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6038
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 7:39:46 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6039
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 4:04:52 AM   
sprior

The re-constituted Australian 8th Div. Cost a whole 2PP to move to an unrestricted command.

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 6040
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 4:05:47 AM   
sprior

And the troops at Perth prepping for Darwin:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6041
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 8:15:13 AM   
CT Grognard

8th Australian Division bivouack area

[There is a group of ten soldiers, with one officer who appears to be strutting to and fro.]

Major D. Trenchard: "Look on my division, ye mighty, and despair!"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6042
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:08:54 AM   
Itdepends

*********Bali Hai Dance Club, Perth November 13, 1942*********

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: I just need to go over a few items, if you could confirm for me the trip from Corruna to Meekatharra takes approximately 10 days in your jeep?

Old Prospector at the bar: Sure no worries- that sounds about right. Mind you I was plastered most of the time.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: You mean inebriated?

Old Prospector at the bar: Weeelll not exactly. You see the truckies swear by this special dish to keep yew going on those long trips. Keeps you awake and makes the miles fly by. There's a sea bird that nest inland, but on account of there bein no fish around it eats these speckled mushrooms. Gives the roast bird a beaut taste as well. Course you can hardly remember where you've been a week later but by gawd does it work. Do the whole trip without sleeping.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: Hmm I see, and where would someone find this presumably hallucinogenic bird with the time dilation effect?

Old Prospector at the bar: Dunno about halluchenowgenic, but if you want some Toodyay Tern just drop in and see Bluey at the Overlander, he'll fix you up.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: <pulling out a sheaf of papers with yellow "sign here" stickers on it> Ahh thank you, and now if I could trouble you for your full name so that I can complete this release form.

Old Prospector at the bar: Wut for?

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: It gives me permission to reproduce your tale for my report, release of rights to all future merchandising rights etc. standard procedure in todays litigous times. And the name I should put down?

Old Prospector at the bar: <after a pregnant pause> Itdepends

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: I'm sorry- depends on what? I should point out that I'm not authorised to move on the merchandising rights. I can assign 2.5% of total box office sales, post costs and taxes of course.

Old Prospector at the bar: Huh, nah I mean that's me name, Itdepends. Or at least thats what everyone calls me since I can't remember my real name.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: Really? Oh I'm sorry- you forgot your name. Perhaps these Toodyay Terns aren't such a good idea after all.

Old Prospector at the bar: No worries there mate. It was living in the desert that did that do me. See in the desert ya can't remember there name on account of there being no one there to give you no name <background singers na nah nah na na na nah>

Post #: 6043
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:12:30 AM   
Itdepends

On a more serious note- if you do march overland to PH don't go via Corruna as if you take CD and then march nth the LJB could march south with a minor force and block you. Since you'll be drawing supply from your closest base (CD- which won't have any)- you'll be up the creek without a paddle.

Better off marching straight into PH with a recon unit taking CD if undefended.

And for those that aren't from Oz and don't have a damned clue what I'm talking about with hallucinogenic seabirds. Toodyay is NE of Meekatharra and is prounounced "Two Jay"

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6044
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:14:49 AM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: I just need to go over a few items, if you could confirm for me the trip from Corruna to Meekatharra takes approximately 10 days in your jeep?

Old Prospector at the bar: Sure no worries- that sounds about right. Mind you I was plastered most of the time.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: You mean inebriated?

Old Prospector at the bar: Weeelll not exactly. You see the truckies swear by this special dish to keep yew going on those long trips. Keeps you awake and makes the miles fly by. There's a sea bird that nest inland, but on account of there bein no fish around it eats these speckled mushrooms. Gives the roast bird a beaut taste as well. Course you can hardly remember where you've been a week later but by gawd does it work. Do the whole trip without sleeping.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: Hmm I see, and where would someone find this presumably hallucinogenic bird with the time dilation effect?

Old Prospector at the bar: Dunno about halluchenowgenic, but if you want some Toodyay Tern just drop in and see Bluey at the Overlander, he'll fix you up.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: <pulling out a sheaf of papers with yellow "sign here" stickers on it> Ahh thank you, and now if I could trouble you for your full name so that I can complete this release form.

Old Prospector at the bar: Wut for?

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: It gives me permission to reproduce your tale for my report, release of rights to all future merchandising rights etc. standard procedure in todays litigous times. And the name I should put down?

Old Prospector at the bar: <after a pregnant pause> Itdepends

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: I'm sorry- depends on what? I should point out that I'm not authorised to move on the merchandising rights. I can assign 2.5% of total box office sales, post costs and taxes of course.

Old Prospector at the bar: Huh, nah I mean that's me name, Itdepends. Or at least thats what everyone calls me since I can't remember my real name.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: Really? Oh I'm sorry- you forgot your name. Perhaps these Toodyay Terns aren't such a good idea after all.

Old Prospector at the bar: No worries there mate. It was living in the desert that did that do me. See in the desert ya can't remember there name on account of there being no one there to give you no name <background singers na nah nah na na na nah>

< Message edited by Grollub -- 1/3/2012 4:18:24 PM >

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6045
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:27:33 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

The re-constituted Australian 8th Div. Cost a whole 2PP to move to an unrestricted command.

What is a CMF Infantry Section?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6046
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:41:38 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

How could this "Old Prospector at the bar" have driven his old jeep (as described in an earlier post) there? The first Willys MA jeep was not delivered to the US government until November 1940. This was a prototype. The MB did not enter production until July 1941

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6047
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:42:29 AM   
Itdepends

Commonwealth force or something similar. Well out dated by this time in the war, should upgrade with the TOE to AIF In sect 42

Post #: 6048
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:45:57 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

How could this "Old Prospector at the bar" have driven his old jeep (as described in an earlier post) there? The first Willys MA jeep was not delivered to the US government until November 1940. This was a prototype. The MB did not enter production until July 1941

It was a Beta version, Bruce.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 6049
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:47:28 AM   
Itdepends

quote:

The story was Americanized for our brethren across the sea. He was really in a new fangled Ford utility (which he could only afford due to his prospecting licence and a fortunate discovery in how to make spotted mushrooms safe for human consumption, incidently bypassing the avian intermediary)

Post #: 6050
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 11:57:47 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

It was a Beta version, Bruce.

The MA was the beta version

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6051
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 2:42:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

After nine days I let the Grant run free
'Cause the desert had turned to sea
There were Japs and guns and dragon's teeth and things
there was sand and hills and defensive rings
The ocean is a desert with it's life underground
And a perfect disguise above
Under Port Hedland lies a heart made of ground
But JJ will give no love

La la la, lalalalala....

Post #: 6052
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 2:44:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Re. the first "Willy" in Oz. I will remind the readers this IS WWII(c)

Post #: 6053
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 2:49:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I have always thought the lyrics to "Horse With No Name" were either written under the influence of a hallucinogen or, perhaps, were meant to suggest the tale was being told by an old prospector who had lost some higher cognitive faculties.

Post #: 6054
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 3:14:00 PM   
CT Grognard

quote:

What is a CMF Infantry Section?

Citizen Military Force - or Militia.

The Commonwealth Military Forces of Australia included a small Permanent Military Force (PMF) and then a large component of citizen reservists in the Citizen Military Force (CMF). Under the Defence Act of 1903, both the PMF and the CMF were prohibited from serving outside Australia unless its membes volunteered to do so.

When Australia needed to send troops to serve overseas in World War I, they created the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) - an all-volunteer unit that could and were deployed overseas.

The same happened in World War II when the 2nd AIF was created.

A lot of CMF members volunteered to join the AIF, but the Australia government for a while tried to limit the numbers since they wanted to retain troops in Australia to build defences, and they maintained a policy of two armies. The AIF served overseas (for example North Africa) and the CMF remained as garrison troops in Australia and New Guinea. The AIF tended to look down on the CMF militia, and called them "koalas".

CMF units garrisoning New Guinea gave a good account of themsleves though on the Kokoda Trail.

In 1943 the law was changed so that CMF units could transfer to the AIF if 65% or more of the personnel had volunteered for overseas service and CMF units were also allowed to serve anywhere south of the equator in the South West Pacific Area (except western Java and northern Borneo).

The 3rd, 5th and 11th Australian Divisions were all CMF units.

The AIF was the 6th, 7th and 8th Australian Divisions as well as the 1st Armoured Australian Division.

Post #: 6055
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 3:21:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

And for those that aren't from Oz and don't have a damned clue what I'm talking about with hallucinogenic seabirds. Toodyay is NE of Meekatharra and is prounounced "Two Jay"

Yah. We heard of that. "Two Jay" is south of "Vajayjay", right?

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6056
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 4:22:11 PM   
Argos

I believe that "WongHo" is south of "Vajayjay"

Post #: 6057
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 5:49:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Interesting. I did not know about Chinese influence in Australia.

Post #: 6058
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 5:50:57 PM   
sprior

THERE WAS A LAD CALLED ALADDIN WHO HAD A MAGIC LAMP,
HE TOOK IT OFF A MATELOT WHO WAS FATHOMS UP A TRAMP,
HE STOLE IT FROM A MATELOT TOO SEE WHAT HE COULD GET,
AND HE RUBBED AND HE RUBBED AND HE AIN'T GOT F*** ALL YET,
OH! FAH, LAH, LE LAH, LAH LE DEE, SIXTEEN ANNERS ONE RUPEE
FEED OF A**E ON A SYCAMORE TREE OH B****R JANNER.

A SULTAN SAID TO ALADDIN, MY PALACE YOU CAN PAINT,
ALADDIN LIKE A BIG O.D. SAID NO I F******G AIN'T,
SO OFF HE WENT, WITH A ONE INCH BRUSH AND A POT OF BLACK ENAMEL,
AND HE SHOVED IT UP THE A***HOLE OF THE SULTANS FAVOURITE CAMEL,
FEED OF A**E ON A SYCAMORE TREE OH B****R JANNER

YOU MAKE FARCE, KISS MY A**E, MAKE FAST THE DINGY,
YOU MAKE FARCE, KISS MY A**E, MAKE FAST THE DINGY,
AND WE'LL ALL GO BACK TO OGGIE LAND, TO OGGIE LAND,
AND WE'LL ALL GO BACK TO OGGIE LAND, WHERE THEY CAN'T TELL PAPER,
FROM TISSUE PAPER, TISSUE PAPER, MARMALADE AND JAM,
OGGIE, OGGIE, OGGIE, OYE, OYE, OYE
OGGIE, OGGIE, OGGIE, OYE, OYE, OYE

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 6059
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/3/2012 5:55:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Is that an America song too?

You are going to have to translate this part:

FEED OF A**E ON A SYCAMORE TREE OH B****R JANNER

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6060
Page:   <<   < prev  200 201 [202] 203 204   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Before teleprompters Page: <<   < prev  200 201 [202] 203 204   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI