Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/9/2012 11:56:12 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Don't ask me how...needless to say Rader's TF arrived unseen and passed over my subs....

This doesn't seem right in late 1944. air recon, subs, radar and these things drop in out of a worm hole? You capital ships do some damage and the little guys get lots of hits? This is messed up that the radar did not see these ships coming. WWI vintage BB's wade right in? I call BS

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5161
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 12:07:42 AM   
GreyJoy

Kind of a Leyte Gulf stuff i think...bad dice and rolls on the coordination and communications... **** happens

Cmq guys, the war isn't lost...far from it! We still have some good stuff to rely upon! Don't lose the faith!

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 5162
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 12:24:23 AM   
beppi

Just some information, i will also open a thread in the general forum as i conducted a systematic tests:

empty APA in a TF DO add a unload bonus
empty LCI in a TF DO NOT add a unload bonus
empty LST in a TF DO NOT add a unload bonus

i assume AKA work like APA (did not test it).

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5163
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 12:30:37 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: beppi

Just some information, i will also open a thread in the general forum as i conducted a systematic tests:

oh.... too late to change...thanks Beppi anyway! good to know

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 5164
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 12:39:38 AM   
beppi

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: beppi

oh.... too late to change...thanks Beppi anyway! good to know

I was interested by myself to clarify that and maybe it helps your for the next landings. And i am quite sure that there will be more ACTION

And btw. quite some bad luck with your surface engagement, and two battlewagons hurt :(

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5165
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 12:43:31 AM   
beppi

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Don't ask me how...needless to say Rader's TF arrived unseen and passed over my subs....

This doesn't seem right in late 1944. air recon, subs, radar and these things drop in out of a worm hole? You capital ships do some damage and the little guys get lots of hits? This is messed up that the radar did not see these ships coming. WWI vintage BB's wade right in? I call BS

As i remember during the initial release of the game the allies had quite a big gunnery bonus during battles if they had radar. It was changed during one of the first official patches.

After that there was always only some "mythical" bonus which comes at a specific time later were your ships have an advantage again. But if i see that combat i think any radar bonus at the actual combat is just some sort of urban legend.

If i take the battle of the suriago strait as an example and the full radar gunfire control they allies had i would say it does not work correct. It still might be a bug.

And in general i would expect at least a slight bonus of the allied ships during late ware during the night. They had some pretty advanced radar stuff. And to keep the historic aspects of the game there should be a bonus. In your current game it might not be important but there should be a bonus.

< Message edited by beppi -- 1/10/2012 12:48:59 AM >

Post #: 5166
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:02:58 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

And in general i would expect at least a slight bonus of the allied ships during late ware during the night. They had some pretty advanced radar stuff. And to keep the historic aspects of the game there should be a bonus. In your current game it might not be important but there should be a bonus.

How did a BB task force steam all the way up the Japanese coast with thousands of aircraft in the sky with hundreds of ships having radar and miss every mine and a dozen subs and went completely undetected???? There is a better chance of me winning the bronze in women's gymnastics this summer. You thought you have seen disturbing pictures in this forum before?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 5167
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:06:23 AM   
kfsgo

Well, the obvious first question - was anyone looking for them? Night naval searches are pretty important, since night combat is so ubiquitous - what sort of aircraft tasking to that job is active?

Post #: 5168
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:19:18 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kfsgo

Well, the obvious first question - was anyone looking for them? Night naval searches are pretty important, since night combat is so ubiquitous - what sort of aircraft tasking to that job is active?

For what it worth (but it think it doesn't much) i had 32 Mariners on night naval search at Hakodate, plus 16 kingfisher (all between 1000 and 6000 feet). During the day i have 16 Liberators (brits, with Radar) flying long range naval search and some more 40 Mariners, Conrados and Catalinas...my air search should be pretty decent...

Anyway...the time has come guys...the fleet is leaving Bihoro...first step Kushiro, under a 1500 fighter CAP umbrella (Air HQ present, several radars - both americans and brits and 400 air support)...in 4 days we'll be landing...

Heavy air bombings ordered on Ominato again and on Hachinoe (more than 1200 bombers involved).

Placed 200 more mines at Hakodate...just in case...

Oh...and have you seen? not a single CD guns shot back...and i have 2 full CD guns regiments at Hakodate...bad luck...absolutely bad luck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kfsgo)
Post #: 5169
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:03:07 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

PS If you pull off a succesful invasion of Honshu you win the Tim Tebow Award (ask a yanqui to explain) For pulling off the impossible, twice.

Yeah but he's gotta play the patriots on the road at Hachinohe. It's gonna be a shootout.

Is he gunna pass, is he gunna run, can his receivers catch??

Makes the game a lot more interesting

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5170
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:01:37 AM   
jeffk3510

Please stop runining this AAR... even this entire forum with Teblow... hes a joke, he sucks, he can't throw. Stop talking about him.

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 1/10/2012 3:45:05 AM >

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5171
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:05:31 AM   
House Stark

About the surface battle: it seems that the low visibility allowed the Japanese to get the upper hand with torpedoes and such...so much for radar as an advantage. In addition, did it seem like your task force was low on ammo after the bombardment run, or had it been replenished back at base before it engaged the Japanese?

Post #: 5172
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:12:47 AM   
AcePylut

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Please stop running this AAR... even this entire forum with Teblow... hes a joke, he sucks, he can't throw. Stop talking about him.

The Tebow Broncos 29, Pittsburg Stillrs23

Scoreboard!

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 5173
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:15:21 AM   
Cribtop

Best of luck GJ. Here's hoping you get to use the good Eisenhower D-Day speech and keep the bad one in the drawer.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 5174
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:57:07 AM   
pat.casey

I don't think the surface combat was as big a catastrophe as you think it was ... keep trading at that ratio and he runs out of fleet before you do. Provided you are then left with enough ships to provide gunfire support during landings, it doesn't really matter if you sink the IJN at 1:1 or 1:2.

Fundamentally you have a numerical advantage, may as well be honest about it and use it.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 5175
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 4:11:33 AM   
Reg

Oh Yeah!!!

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Hakodate at 119,53, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 3 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CA Takao
CA Suzuya, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CL Yahagi

Allied Ships
PT-166
PT-327
PT-375
PT-474
PT-475
PT-476
PT-477
PT-479
PT-480
PT-481
PT-482
PT-483, Shell hits 1

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5176
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 4:26:36 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Please stop runining this AAR... even this entire forum with Teblow... hes a joke, he sucks, he can't throw. Stop talking about him.

Thats your opinion, record of 8-4 isnt bad

As for RUINING the AAR, phhhh.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 5177
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 5:54:23 AM   
Canoerebel

Come on, gents.  Surely we can agree that was an Allied naval victory.  I'd take those results anytime.  I guarantee you rader is disappointed.  He just lost roughly 8% of his battleships and 11% of his heavy cruisers.  Ouch!  Meanwhile, GJ will tweak his force composition a bit and continue.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/10/2012 5:55:29 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5178
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 6:26:28 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Come on, gents.  Surely we can agree that was an Allied naval victory.  I'd take those results anytime.  I guarantee you rader is disappointed.  He just lost roughly 8% of his battleships and 11% of his heavy cruisers.  Ouch!  Meanwhile, GJ will tweak his force composition a bit and continue.

Probably even more as he has lost some cruisers and battleships already.

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5179
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 7:03:29 AM   
GreyJoy

August 29, 30 1944

While bad weather prevented most of the allied flights today, our fleet arrived safely at Kushiro...from now on it's a no-turning-point. Can't look back guys. The dice is cast....
Whatever choice we've made, whatever route we've chosen...now it's time to press forward and to pray the Gods of War that give us a glorious death.
That's all we ask.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 5180
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 7:06:50 AM   
GreyJoy

For the records, Kirishima was the 4th BB lost by Rader and we have already sunk a good number of his CAs and most of his CLs...but, as you know, the allies lost quite a huge number of surface forces too...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5181
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 7:21:08 AM   
Nemo121

Glorious death's all well and good but Shirley one could at least ASK for victory too?

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5182
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 7:48:57 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Glorious death's all well and good but Shirley one could at least ASK for victory too?

Who's Shirley?

This is not a winning strategy. I'm aware of that. A winning strategy could have been keep on bombing Japan for the rest of the war.
But i do believe that with "Suddenly Hairy" i have completed my personal journey from defeat to, if not victory, a winning position...so i've already got what i wanted to achieve(not to lose without firing back a single shot). Now i'm only looking for immortal glory and for a entretaining end of the game

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 5183
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 8:43:10 AM   
EUBanana

All too predictable. Experience is king in surface combat, any pre-1944 Allied unit is going to have a rabbits in headlights experience. Seems especially the case for big ships, BBs and to a lesser extent cruisers. Radar makes little odds. Radar used to make a big difference, but people complained about the USN cleaning Japanese clock in 1942. Now its gone the other way.

Check the experience of your surface ships. A ship like BB Washington will be pointless in a night fight, even in 1944. A ship like Iowa, with the high 60s, might be okay, but if I were you I'd select BBs with 70+ night fighting experience, which is essentially all the Allied BBs that show up after Iowa. BB Howe, BB Richelieu, any American BBs post-Iowa... they all have 70+.

I've not yet tried it myself but I can only assume that they will do much better. I assume the reason the IJN are such supermen in surface combat is down to experience, and not some hardcoded Japan Bonus.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5184
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 8:59:28 AM   
CT Grognard

+1.

The old US Pennsylvania-class and Tennessee-class battleships that start the war at Pearl Harbor have average day experience of around 55 and average night experience of around 35(!) whereas the Japanese battleships start with day experience averaging around 68 and night experience around 65.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5185
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 9:15:48 AM   
GreyJoy

Yes but USS Washington had an exp of 70 day and 58 night, and the BC Repulse a much better night rating...

However guys...i'm not complaining. I didn't send them to a night fight...Rader engaged me and his bold move assured him the day.
Happens.
Storm weather and low visibility might have had an influence in the fact that the INJ TF managed to slip through the other TFs that guarded Hakodate (BB Valiant and Queen Eliz + DDs and PTs)...bold move and good luck!

CR is right however...this is a draw to my eyes...we exchanged 1 BB and 1 BC for 1 BB and 2 CAs...not that bad.

(in reply to CT Grognard)
Post #: 5186
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 9:16:46 AM   
Roger Neilson II

I understand where you are coming from on this GreyJoy, I watch with interest and hope that the comment: "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre." will not be applicable.

My gut feeling is it will be.

Roger

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5187
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 9:53:16 AM   
CT Grognard

Indeed. Those Japanese CAs are irreplaceable.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5188
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 10:17:39 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Yes but USS Washington had an exp of 70 day and 58 night, and the BC Repulse a much better night rating...

58 is dead meat though. Like a fighter pilot with air skill 58. You'd need luck to prevail, and he did achieve a local superiority, so a bad day was on the cards!

Repulse just always seems to be unlucky in my games. That said I'm sure even Repulse only had mid 60s at best.

quote:

CR is right however...this is a draw to my eyes...we exchanged 1 BB and 1 BC for 1 BB and 2 CAs...not that bad.

Granted, the end result is really an 'indecisive, strategic Allied victory' in Wikipedia parlance.

It's still frustrating when you see your incompetent navies having to use weight of numbers to win though!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5189
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 11:19:09 AM   
GreyJoy

Tomorrow i bet it's gonna be another day of blood for the allies... we're there guys...facing the mighty IJAAF and IJNAAF...thousands of enemy planes...300,000 enemies and 3,500 guns are aiming at us on those beaches...The Combined Fleet ready to descend upon us...

DO YOU FEEL THE SOUR TASTE OF FEAR IN YOUR MOUTH?
DO YOU FEEL YOUR KNEES BENDING UNDER THE PRESSURE OF RESPONSABILITY?
DO YOU FEEL THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS DAY IN HISTORY?

DO YOU FEEL IT?

...chills on my backbone...decisions to be taken...every move, every order can mean victory or defeat...a mistake now means thousands of lifes lost...

Let's show the world we are men iron born!

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 1/10/2012 11:31:25 AM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5190
Page:   <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI