Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Space Sations).

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Space Sations). Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Space ... - 1/13/2012 2:39:25 AM   
Abraxis

So after a loooong break from this game (lack of time and other games), I've finally returned to Distant Worlds after buying Legends.

I played a little bit with the Ikkuro yesterday just to get back into the swing of things, I remember having such a solid grasp on all the systems, it's amazing how much one can forget.

Now I'm all ready to start my super long game as none other than the mighty Teekans, by far my preferred race.

As with any serious start, the game has been paused for about an hour now as I redo all the designs. I know this is a little gamey when playing a wonderful (stupid) race like the Teekans, but to be honest considering I see very few problems with their designs I think we're on about the same level (assumeing I'm not worse).

I finally got to the space stations. Taking a look at the design for the Small and medium Stations I noticed they both had research centers in them (which are pretty big). If I take these out of one I can fit a bunch more docking and cargo bays, even extra construction yard(s) and/or mining engines.

This got me to thinking (Teekan style ). Given that my empire will mainly be focused on trade, mining and the private sector, would it be better to split the medium and small space stations not so much by size but by role?

Excellent Orbital Economy Station (medium): A highly economy/industrial focused station with plenty of cargo bays, construction yards (for private sector construction), docking bays and mining things for shiny stuffs.

Orbital Egg-Head containment Facility (small): A holding facility for all those weird (rare) Teekans who would rather spend time thinking about things than hunting sandworms, finding shiny things, spending time with their Securan love-slave and generally hitting things with other things. This station would be used on poorly trafficked worlds with few resources.

The large station probably just remaining fairly a generalized combination.

Soo my question being, can anyone smarter than this Teekan player foresee any serious disastrous consequences in organizing things this way (such as research done in labs being modified by population [don't think this is the case but if it is this is a bad idea])? Any thoughts or advice for execution? Relevant personal experience? All are welcome!

< Message edited by Abraxis -- 1/13/2012 2:54:35 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Sp... - 1/13/2012 5:56:05 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

There's certainly no reason that shouldn't be functional. I wouldn't know if its the most optimized way of going about things, but I'm sure someone does.

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 2
RE: The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Sp... - 1/13/2012 10:13:33 AM   
feelotraveller

Totally agree with Gelatinious Cube on this.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 3
RE: The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Sp... - 1/13/2012 10:24:37 AM   
Sylian

I don't know if it's the most effective way, but i can tell you what i use.
I remove science labs from all space port designs at the beginning of the game.
Then I create 4 types of research stations. 3 so called specialized deep space research stations. They are armed, shielded and armored and have only one type of lab according to their role (e.g. energy research). These are the ones i build at special research sites.
Then i have the "planet research station". Its a small station with minimum equipment. (no arms, few shields if any). Usually i put all three types of labs on this, but sometimes i also create 3 different planet research stations. I build them manually on my colonies when i feel the need of more research space. They are defended by the spaceport and fleets.

One i side note: i was always wondering if its worth it to put more than one commercial centers on space ports. Its not written in the galactopedia that "only one is necessary" like for the recreation and medicine modules. Has anyone tested whether more than one commercial module gets you more income?

< Message edited by Sylian -- 1/13/2012 10:27:05 AM >

Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel.

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 4
RE: The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Sp... - 1/13/2012 11:44:01 AM   
Canute0

quote:

If I take these out of one I can fit a bunch more docking and cargo bays, even extra construction yard(s) and/or mining engines.

So far i remember, Mining engines are nonfunktional when the planet is colonized. It don't make sense to put them into a Spaceport.

A Planet and Spaceport share the same Cargo, and the size is unlimited. You dont need to add that much Cargo bays.

Mosttimes when you Spaceport got a long waiting queue for the construction, it is missing some resources not missing extra construction yards. This special happens when you build colony ships on the planet too, the planetary yard got priority at the resources.

quote:

I remove science labs from all space port designs at the beginning of the game.
Then I create 4 types of research stations. 3 so called specialized deep space research stations. They are armed, shielded and armored and have only one type of lab according to their role (e.g. energy research). These are the ones i build at special research sites.

I use the opposide way.
I add extra research Lab at my home medium Spaceport (10 of each) at this way i got fast my research output without build expensive research stations.
To claim reseach bonus from locations i designed very cheap research stations with just 1 lab, they are build very fast.
Until you are at war with another Empire when enemy fleets attack your stations, or when you try to build them into a Pirate nest system, research stations are pretty safe.
And when an enemy fleet comes for you station, it need to be real good armed to stay agaist it. I think thats not worth it, i arm my Spaceport and Mining stations but not the research ones.

(in reply to Sylian)
Post #: 5
RE: The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Sp... - 1/14/2012 12:45:05 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sylian

One i side note: i was always wondering if its worth it to put more than one commercial centers on space ports. Its not written in the galactopedia that "only one is necessary" like for the recreation and medicine modules. Has anyone tested whether more than one commercial module gets you more income?

I have done it for mining bases and only the first gives you any income. I presume that it is the same for spaceports and other bases but have not tested them.

(in reply to Sylian)
Post #: 6
RE: The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Sp... - 1/14/2012 1:07:04 PM   
Sylian

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

I have done it for mining bases and only the first gives you any income. I presume that it is the same for spaceports and other bases but have not tested them.

Well i guess it's safe to assume it is the same for all star bases.
Thanks feelo.

Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 7
RE: The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Sp... - 1/14/2012 1:23:20 PM   
Canute0

Commerce, Medical,Command are redunant system, just 1 is needed to get the Bonus. When you add more they are just backup in case one get damaged/destroyed.

Same for Targeting,countermeasure,Reapir bot.

(in reply to Sylian)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The Mighty Teekan Empire and their Economy Hubs (Space Sations). Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI