Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 7:34:23 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

quote:

If the Germans go in in March/April, unless they get a long clear-weather turn they probably won't kill a whole lot of USSR units.

So I agree with Steve in building MOT and HQ-I Koniev. Also, the MECH should be produced. All of these units will arrive in the key July/August turn, as will any INF/GARR builds in March/April.

I found this post (#1299) while searching through for my last End of Turn report, since I like to do things in the same order each turn.

Well, it was a short turn, only 5 total impulses, and the Germans . . . hmmm . . . would you say they killed a whole lot of USSR units?

I am forced to concede this point (I don't like being wrong, but I'd rather be correct than be right, so to speak).

In my defence, there were an awful lot of USSR units sitting around in Bessarabia which were not able to escape in time due to the rain.

I was just doing a bit of teasing. I was very surprised, even with those units in Bessarabia that weren't able to escape, at the number of casualties.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Allied impulse #1, the USSR has railed out the Dnepropetrovsk factory and is looking to rail out the Vitebsk factory in Allied impulse #2.

This should be achievable by putting a sop unit in the Dvina bend hex (the one with rivers on four hexsides), and maybe a sop unit in one of the forest hexes south of Vitebsk. As long as the Axis can't get around to cut the rail line and as long as there are units in Vitebsk they should be able to rail out the factory even if the Axis are exerting ZoC. The GARR and CAV would be ideal sops

You should not need any of those INF currently shown (in the screenshot upthread) to be stuck in clear hexes facing down ARM/MECH.

I'd have to check on this, but it was my understanding that all you need to do is get the factory itself into a ZOC to prevent it from railing out.
-----
Edit: But even if I were to leave them there, and retreat everyone else behind the river, all it would take is these 2 moves to prevent the factory from being railed. If I put another unit or 2 where the FTR is, it can still be Blitzed and end up with Vitebsk unable to rail the factory out, so it's an all or nothing thing. The factory gets railed and units die, or it doesn't and they hopefully survive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/26/2012 7:45:38 AM >

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1591
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:14:26 PM   
Red Prince

Okay, the next 6 posts show what I've set up for the Soviets. It's the best I can do, I think.
-----
Starting off with the Far North, Leningrad should be able to hold against the enemy, so I sent the Leningrad MIL to keep tabs on Novgorod. Now that snow is extremely unlikely, I've put the black print 5-3 INF into position between the lakes, where it should stay until supply runs out -- and maybe even after that. The white print 5-3 INF (the one that might have been better off in Baku) is moving south to help with the failing Northern Front. Although you can't see it in this image, he's within range of adding protection between the swamps NE of Vitebsk, or he could move closer to Smolensk as part of a continued retreat.

Attachment (1)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1592
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:14:32 PM   
Red Prince

Next up, the Northern Front:
-----
The 2 FTRs in green circles are getting the 2 remaining Air Missions to rebase behind the lines.

The 2 units in blue circles can be blitzed, but they can't be overrun. Both are cheap units, same cost as a MIL unit. These will buy a hex or two extra for Yeremenko to get behind the river line behind Smolensk, or even to rail somewhere much safer. The reason I think it's important to buy those hexes is that it limits the locations the German bombers can get to. If the river line needs to be abandoned, this means all of the Soviets can get out of Stuka range next impulse.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1593
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:14:37 PM   
Red Prince

On the South Front:
-----
Here I've swapped positions of the 4-3 INF and the 6-3 INF (dark blue arrows). I'm pretty sure that the 4-3 can't be overrun. Even if it can (I could be wrong), the only 2 units able to do so can't move up to the front, and there aren't enough other units with the range to make terrific attacks on the river lines or the 2 cities here.

The other unit with a light blue circle, the Sevastapol MIL, I moved into the port to prevent a paradrop into Crimea.

As you can see, I've pulled most of my ARM and MECH units down from the North Front to try to make some heavier stacks. This is a long line to cover, and the USSR just hasn't got a whole lot of units to work with. If the sacrifices up north can buy a little extra time there, that's good, but this is the line that needs to hold as long as possible. I think I've got enough flexibility to adjust things next impulse. The biggest problem is that I can't keep a strong line and still have a secondary line behind it.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1594
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:14:43 PM   
Red Prince

I've got 5 slow MIL units I'm leaving in place. While I'm railing factories, I get a spare move I can use to bring these to the ever-shifting fornt this turn.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1595
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:14:48 PM   
Red Prince

You've already seen the Persian Front, so moving on to Siberia . . . it's about to get cut off from the rest of Russia. Japan is going to have to take a Naval Action with its first impulse (Axis Impulse #2), but then they can move into Chita. It will disorganize the Manchurian Territorial, but it will cut the only rail link to the Far East. Assuming the weather remains Fine for the next few rolls, the Irkutsk MIL will continue its trek across the mountains until it is at the end of its supply line. It should be able to hold there until next turn or longer, depending on whether Japan decides to rail an HQ up this far (probably not worth it for Japan, but we'll see).

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1596
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:14:54 PM   
Red Prince

The last image is of the Vladivostok campaign the Japanese have going. I think it pretty much speaks for itself. The attack won't come the first Axis impulse, but the second one is sure to have the city collapse.
-----
Edit: If you are wondering why the Convoys are in port here, they were the ones I got at the start of the game. I planned to use them to ship the Hanoi resource to Vladivostok and even had them set up for that. Unfortunately, there wasn't time to set that plan in motion.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/26/2012 1:22:38 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1597
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:28:44 PM   
Red Prince

For the above screenshots, as well as the plans in Persia, I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything completely idiotic. And, if I have, I've spent so many hours on setting it up this way that I deserve whatever happens (as the Russian player). Therefore, I am going to move on to the next phase of the game. Normally, I'd like to get more opinions before doing that, but it will be a few hours before the heaviest traffic comes through this thread.

Feel free to point out my errors, though. I can't learn if I don't see what they are. I'm just hoping that this setup shows I've done a little bit of learning since the start of the game. I want to believe I can learn from my mistakes, though I recognize that it's likely to take more time before I have a true understanding of setting a defense. And I also understand that it will be years before I can consider myself "well-educated" in this regard.

So . . . have at me! It's time to move on . . .

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1598
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:50:11 PM   
composer99

You should leave a unit in Vitebsk so you can rail out the factory. The units in the forests will keep the Germans from ZoCing the rail line (they can't break through out of forests) and the unit in Vitebsk will let you rail out the factory even with German ZoC on the city (check the rules).

Unless the Germans disorganize the unit in Vitebsk it can run away after.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1599
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 1:55:00 PM   
Klydon

quote:

On the South Front:
-----
Here I've swapped positions of the 4-3 INF and the 6-3 INF (dark blue arrows). I'm pretty sure that the 4-3 can't be overrun. Even if it can (I could be wrong), the only 2 units able to do so can't move up to the front, and there aren't enough other units with the range to make terrific attacks on the river lines or the 2 cities here.

The other unit with a light blue circle, the Sevastapol MIL, I moved into the port to prevent a paradrop into Crimea.

As you can see, I've pulled most of my ARM and MECH units down from the North Front to try to make some heavier stacks. This is a long line to cover, and the USSR just hasn't got a whole lot of units to work with. If the sacrifices up north can buy a little extra time there, that's good, but this is the line that needs to hold as long as possible. I think I've got enough flexibility to adjust things next impulse. The biggest problem is that I can't keep a strong line and still have a secondary line behind it.

Again, just a noob here, but if it becomes possible to overrun the 4-3, does that make it possible for LII mech to waltz into D-Town since there is just a plane there? It appears the 110 can do a ground strike for a flip (not a high chance, but if it works and gets you D-Town without a fight, why not?).

It won't necessarily compromise the river line, but it saves the Germans a city fight in the trees and also punts the only Russian fighter in the area.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1600
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 2:00:41 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Again, just a noob here, but if it becomes possible to overrun the 4-3, does that make it possible for LII mech to waltz into D-Town since there is just a plane there? It appears the 110 can do a ground strike for a flip (not a high chance, but if it works and gets you D-Town without a fight, why not?).

It won't necessarily compromise the river line, but it saves the Germans a city fight in the trees and also punts the only Russian fighter in the area.

The city is Southeast of that hex, not in the forest hex. So, yes, while it would let a unit move to that hex (maybe), all that would do is rebase the FTR. However, I'm almost certain the 4-3 can't be put out of supply.
-----
Edit: That's actually why I didn't put a unit to the east of the FTR. Any unit available to be placed there would have been too weak to stand up to an attack . . . or it would have weakened the lines in other areas.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/26/2012 2:02:05 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 1601
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 2:13:52 PM   
Red Prince

I told you that I was going to make 2 invasions with the USA during the Surprise impulse against Germany. Here is the first one. It's a semi-risky attack on the Azores. This is also one of those situations which gives the defender a better chance if they do not include the Notional Unit. Since it is both surprised and out of supply, it would add no combat factors while giving the USA a +1 die roll modifier.

The mechanics of the game favor the attackers here, though. The 2.5 attack factors get rounded up to 3, and the 2.5 Shore Bombardment factors also get rounded up to 3. So a 5:1 attack becomes a 6:1 attack . . . and while it may not be the most brilliant idea, I'm going to take the 40% shot at HQ Support. If that succeeds, this becomes a 7:1 Assault. In most situations, this is better because it increases the chance of remaining organized from 50% to 70%, but in this case, I'm doing it to reduce the chances of losing the HQ from 20% to 10%. I figure that even though a disorganized HQ can't reorganize units or make more moves in the turn, a dead one can't do that either. Anything that improves the chances of survival is a good thing.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1602
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 2:13:57 PM   
Red Prince

This attack makes me happier than the other one, because it is Automatic and the location makes it nearly impossible for Germany to get rid of the invaders before the CW can land HQ-I Alexander in the hex next impulse. It's a small foothold, but it will force the Germans to divert forces away from the Soviets. It may even lead to a little bit of expansion. Who knows?

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1603
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 2:14:03 PM   
Red Prince

And the Allied attacks for Impulse #1 of M/J '41:

And the results:

Attack on Denmark [43, 35]: Assault, Roll = Automatic = */2S
Attack on Ponta Delgada: Assault, Roll = 10 = */2S

The HQ Support failed, so I had to deal with the 5:1 Assault CRT. Not a bad roll for the first attack of the game made by the USA, don't you think?

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1604
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 2:25:31 PM   
Klydon

I am glad someone on the Allied side can roll dice.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1605
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 2:50:43 PM   
Red Prince

Rebasing units at the end of the impulse, I sent a CW FTR to support the freshly landed troops in Denmark, rebased a NAV from the USA to the Azores, another to Greenland, 2 LND from Iceland to N. Ireland, and shuffled 2 fighters in the Pacific. For the Soviets, I realized that the FTR northeast of Vitebsk isn't in any danger yet, so I can rebase the other one and use the 2nd air mission to get the FTR on the Southern Front out of harm's way (though I still think it can't be reached).

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 1606
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 3:27:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

If the Germans go in in March/April, unless they get a long clear-weather turn they probably won't kill a whole lot of USSR units.

So I agree with Steve in building MOT and HQ-I Koniev. Also, the MECH should be produced. All of these units will arrive in the key July/August turn, as will any INF/GARR builds in March/April.

I found this post (#1299) while searching through for my last End of Turn report, since I like to do things in the same order each turn.

Well, it was a short turn, only 5 total impulses, and the Germans . . . hmmm . . . would you say they killed a whole lot of USSR units?

I am forced to concede this point (I don't like being wrong, but I'd rather be correct than be right, so to speak).

In my defence, there were an awful lot of USSR units sitting around in Bessarabia which were not able to escape in time due to the rain.

I agree with Composer99. When you look at that body count, how many of them were down there trying to save the Odessa factory?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1607
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 3:36:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Allied impulse #1, the USSR has railed out the Dnepropetrovsk factory and is looking to rail out the Vitebsk factory in Allied impulse #2.

This should be achievable by putting a sop unit in the Dvina bend hex (the one with rivers on four hexsides), and maybe a sop unit in one of the forest hexes south of Vitebsk. As long as the Axis can't get around to cut the rail line and as long as there are units in Vitebsk they should be able to rail out the factory even if the Axis are exerting ZoC. The GARR and CAV would be ideal sops

You should not need any of those INF currently shown (in the screenshot upthread) to be stuck in clear hexes facing down ARM/MECH.

I disagree with this. Sacrificing units to try to save another factory is quasi-insane.

Every corps the USSR loses is one more corps (with a ZOC) that it won't have for 2 more turns. The number of hexes the USSR is going to have to hold is going to increase enormously once the Dnieper is breached: in the north as well as in the south. Simply count the hexes from Yaroslavl down to Rostov (16). Then count how many corps you have. That line has a lot of clear hexes in it and the German air force is in pristine condition. So is the German army for that matter. The USSR is going to need every unit it can assemble to conduct a fighting retreat. There will be plenty of opportunities to lose units in the future impulses of this turn.

Anyway, if you want to save a factory, move one out of Leningrad - since the Finns no longer have it in a ZOC.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/26/2012 3:37:30 PM >

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1608
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 3:38:12 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with Composer99. When you look at that body count, how many of them were down there trying to save the Odessa factory?

More than there should have been, of course. Too many to escape in just 6 impulses over 3 turns. At the start of those 3 turns, they were still there as border-stuffers.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1609
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 3:40:46 PM   
composer99

Seeing an HQ invading a hex by itself did give my heart a pause. Good thing you rolled a '10'.

Probably the strongest play would have been to have a division invade alongside the HQ just in case you got that 10% chance of taking a loss.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1610
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 3:49:30 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was just doing a bit of teasing. I was very surprised, even with those units in Bessarabia that weren't able to escape, at the number of casualties.

quote:

I'd have to check on this, but it was my understanding that all you need to do is get the factory itself into a ZOC to prevent it from railing out.
-----
Edit: But even if I were to leave them there, and retreat everyone else behind the river, all it would take is these 2 moves to prevent the factory from being railed. If I put another unit or 2 where the FTR is, it can still be Blitzed and end up with Vitebsk unable to rail the factory out, so it's an all or nothing thing. The factory gets railed and units die, or it doesn't and they hopefully survive.

All right, I'll give this one more shot. Does the USSR have too many units or too few units? How many impulses will the Germans have before the next USSR reinforcement is placed on the map? At the end of this turn, how many dead Germans do you expect to see in the Destroyed Pool? How many dead Russians? What do you think the ratio of the German:USSR land combat factors on the map is going to be at the end of this turn?

The USSR sacrifices some units in the first impulse (maybe 2) of Barbarossa to give it enough time to rail out some factories, but more importantly, to be able to form up a solid defensive line. After that the USSR has to switch its tactical decisions to maintaining a strong defensive line, lose the absolute fewest units possible, and retreat once a defensive position is breached (in order to save units). Most of Russia is clear hexes which gives the German air force and armored forces the ability to concentrate their forces on the weakest part of the Russian line and smash through easily. Even if the USSR manages to build a super defensive position, the German use an O-chit and a crucial part of the Russian line disappears in a puff of smoke.

The USSR losses in 3 (German) impulses of Rain are going to be nothing compared to the 5-9 (German) impulses of Fine.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/26/2012 3:50:58 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1611
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 3:58:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Okay, the next 6 posts show what I've set up for the Soviets. It's the best I can do, I think.
-----
Starting off with the Far North, Leningrad should be able to hold against the enemy, so I sent the Leningrad MIL to keep tabs on Novgorod. Now that snow is extremely unlikely, I've put the black print 5-3 INF into position between the lakes, where it should stay until supply runs out -- and maybe even after that. The white print 5-3 INF (the one that might have been better off in Baku) is moving south to help with the failing Northern Front. Although you can't see it in this image, he's within range of adding protection between the swamps NE of Vitebsk, or he could move closer to Smolensk as part of a continued retreat.

I like this except for weakening Leningrad.

The 3 units in Leningrad should be immobile; consider them all to have a movement factor of 0. Leningrad is as important as Gibraltar. Occupying Novgorod is pointless at this time. If you move the 6-3 back to Leningrad in the next impulse, it will become disorganized: giving the Germans a successful ground strike against a unit in Leningrad for free.

At the first sign of a possible Finnish attack on the 5-3 in the north, that unit should retreat towards Moscow. He IS the northern frontline.]

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/26/2012 3:59:40 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1612
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:07:52 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Seeing an HQ invading a hex by itself did give my heart a pause. Good thing you rolled a '10'.

Probably the strongest play would have been to have a division invade alongside the HQ just in case you got that 10% chance of taking a loss.

I tried to figure out how to do that on a Combined impulse and still have the ability to make the other invasion plus provide Shore Bombardment. Couldn't get it done in the 3 Naval Move allotment.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1613
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:13:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Next up, the Northern Front:
-----
The 2 FTRs in green circles are getting the 2 remaining Air Missions to rebase behind the lines.

The 2 units in blue circles can be blitzed, but they can't be overrun. Both are cheap units, same cost as a MIL unit. These will buy a hex or two extra for Yeremenko to get behind the river line behind Smolensk, or even to rail somewhere much safer. The reason I think it's important to buy those hexes is that it limits the locations the German bombers can get to. If the river line needs to be abandoned, this means all of the Soviets can get out of Stuka range next impulse.

Much better, but the 2 corps should retreat to safety [perhaps rail the 4-1 to Smolensk?]. There should be 2 units in Smolensk. If the artillery unit is in Smolensk he can provide support to the units on either side if things get desperate. From a single hex the Germans can probably assemble a lot of punch, at least a 3:1 on a lone 6-4. At this point Smolensk is a linchpin in the line. If the Germans can take it, the USSR line will be a shambles.

Yeremenko will be needed on the northern end of this line to provide supply to units along the Leningrad-Moscow rail line. That's his job. He shouldn't have trouble moving during the summer unless the Germans manage to hit him with a ground strike. He retreats, when necessary, from forest hex to forest hex. It would be nice to remove him from the frontline itself, but the Russians need his defensive factors to maintain a semblance of a front line here.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1614
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:13:05 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

-----

I like this except for weakening Leningrad.

The 3 units in Leningrad should be immobile; consider them all to have a movement factor of 0. Leningrad is as important as Gibraltar. Occupying Novgorod is pointless at this time. If you move the 6-3 back to Leningrad in the next impulse, it will become disorganized: giving the Germans a successful ground strike against a unit in Leningrad for free.

At the first sign of a possible Finnish attack on the 5-3 in the north, that unit should retreat towards Moscow. He IS the northern frontline.]

You're the one who told me that Leningrad could survive on 2 units.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1615
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:18:54 PM   
lordzyplon

quote:

I told you that I was going to make 2 invasions with the USA during the Surprise impulse against Germany. Here is the first one. It's a semi-risky attack on the Azores. This is also one of those situations which gives the defender a better chance if they do not include the Notional Unit. Since it is both surprised and out of supply, it would add no combat factors while giving the USA a +1 die roll modifier.

The mechanics of the game favor the attackers here, though. The 2.5 attack factors get rounded up to 3, and the 2.5 Shore Bombardment factors also get rounded up to 3. So a 5:1 attack becomes a 6:1 attack . . . and while it may not be the most brilliant idea, I'm going to take the 40% shot at HQ Support. If that succeeds, this becomes a 7:1 Assault. In most situations, this is better because it increases the chance of remaining organized from 50% to 70%, but in this case, I'm doing it to reduce the chances of losing the HQ from 20% to 10%. I figure that even though a disorganized HQ can't reorganize units or make more moves in the turn, a dead one can't do that either. Anything that improves the chances of survival is a good thing.

The bold sentence is actually incorrect. You only get 2.5 land factors, so you can only add 2.5 shore bombardment and/or 2.5 air support. Afterwards, you round to either 3, 5 (no rounding), or 8. The game engine calculated the odds correctly in the combat screenshot, 5:1.

quote:

You're the one who told me that Leningrad could survive on 2 units.

I'm not familiar with the 1D10 charts, but under 2D10 rules (yep, you're not using them) it's possible to lose the city. 11 attacking factors : 16 defending factors -> 2:3.

+1 odds
+3 flipped defending units (assumption)
+1 HQ attacking city
+1 HQ support
-1 city
-2 printed factories
-1 engineer defending city
_
+2 DRM (net)

Modified roll of 20+ will result in the city's loss (19 clears the hex but kills both Finnish units.) No idea if it's still possible under 1D10 rules.

< Message edited by lordzyplon -- 1/26/2012 4:27:35 PM >

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1616
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:25:31 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

On the South Front:
-----

No sacrifices. The 4-3 needs to be behind the river.

A secondary line is a luxury the USSR can not afford. Only the HQ gets to sit comfortably out of harm's way. And that respite might only be for 1 impulse. The front line should be as strong as possible. There should never be two divisions in the same hex. Spread them out like icing on a cake: no clumps. There is a hole NE of Dnepropetrovsk that should be occupied by some random corps.

I am not going to try to tweak every hex here. But if there is a cheaper unit than the Mot to sit and die in Kiev that would be nice. Maybe the 4-1 Gar in the north should rail to Kiev instead of the Moscow Militia - since there is only 1 rail move available. Oh, but all the rail moves have been made. The lesson here is to never make your rail moves until you have thought through all your land moves. Thinking back to that 4-1, it can either die in Vitebsk or move 1 hex NE and pray.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1617
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:27:19 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordzyplon

quote:

The bold sentence is actually incorrect. You only get 2.5 land factors, so you can only add 2.5 shore bombardment and/or 2.5 air support. Afterwards, you round to either 3, 5 (no rounding), or 8. The game engine calculated the odds correctly in the combat screenshot, 5:1.

You're right. I noticed this, but forgot to add it to the Attack report. It's one of those rules that I sometimes mix up: when to round numbers. Sorry for the mis-statement.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to lordzyplon)
Post #: 1618
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:28:31 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

You've already seen the Persian Front, so moving on to Siberia . . . it's about to get cut off from the rest of Russia. Japan is going to have to take a Naval Action with its first impulse (Axis Impulse #2), but then they can move into Chita. It will disorganize the Manchurian Territorial, but it will cut the only rail link to the Far East. Assuming the weather remains Fine for the next few rolls, the Irkutsk MIL will continue its trek across the mountains until it is at the end of its supply line. It should be able to hold there until next turn or longer, depending on whether Japan decides to rail an HQ up this far (probably not worth it for Japan, but we'll see).

Yes. I agree.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1619
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/26/2012 4:28:45 PM   
lordzyplon

No problem, happens to me all the time F2F. See my edit, as well.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI