Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! Page: <<   < prev  202 203 [204] 205 206   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:13:26 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6091
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:14:08 PM   
vicberg

Both players have won.  This is the most watched AAR.  It's been exciting.  There's been epic battles accross the board with both players benefiting from the same rules.  The fact that Radar didn't take it easy is on GJ is a good thing for GJ.  He's learned.  Playing as Japanese, you don't play to "win".  What is winning?  Auto-victory?  Has happened maybe a handful of times in the thousands of games played.  Holding out until 46?  That's a pyrrhic victory.   The Japanese player knows he's going to lose.  It's having fun along the way and it's obvious that both have had fun and so have we, watching it. 

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6092
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:14:10 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
If you're suggesting that ALL are suffering under the current build and that the Devs / programmers need to change something based upon this singular example, I would sharply disagree with your conclusion.

Michaelm has already tweaked it for the high density of aircraft in 1944.

I don't really see why more tweaks, also all about the high density of aircraft in 1944, are out of the question. As I'm playing in 1944 myself now I'd be rather eager to have it tweaked asap, rather than too late. CAP not engaging due to a hardcoded limit on effective CAP size is just silly. And thats what it does. The limit has been increased, but as any developer will know increasing limits like that is not really fixing the problem, because chances are it won't be too long before your new limit is also breached.

It's nothing to do with favouring either side. It's about making adjustments to combat which apparently most players never get to and so have not been stress tested to death, like the first six months of 1942 has been.

That said I'm not seeing anything like these numbers of a/c in February 44. I guess these massive concentrations must come later, either that or I dont' concentrate nearly as much.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 1/26/2012 4:15:50 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6093
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:16:08 PM   
hades1001

It's really a big decision to give up a 1 year(real time) game and start a new one.
I don't know all this issues when I start the game. Feel like I was trapped.

And of course I can adapt to this game engine and just exploit to my advantages. But that's not the point, the point is the stock game can be better and that's why Michael release so many patches for. To fix bugs and tweak wrong things, right?

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: hades1001

yeah the coordinate system makes both side suffer while we can tweak it and make it better.

So why we have to suffer? We can change the game to a better direction, yes we can!

You don't. If you don't like the existing basic engine, there are all sorts of mods out there (some mentioned previously) that can be tailored to your tastes. Bust out the editor and have at it.

If you're suggesting that ALL are suffering under the current build and that the Devs / programmers need to change something based upon this singular example, I would sharply disagree with your conclusion.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6094
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:19:13 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

It's really a big decision to give up a 1 year(real time) game and start a new one.

If it really is due to the CAP cap then a mod wouldn't fix it anyway, it doesn't matter what stats you give your aircraft if the code isn't actually having them engage.

Da Babes isn't really going to change much as you hit the CAP with CVTFs, reducing air support isn't going to change that.

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 6095
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:20:29 PM   
crsutton

One quick point and then one of my lengthy discourses.

All this discussion about CAP but no discussion about flak. Not to say that an exposed GJ would not have been hurt but I think the most sad aspect of any late war battle is the weakness of Allied flak. Tankers and AKs are one thing but these attacks are against the Allied "A" team at a time when flak should be very deadly and account for a key number of aircraft kills.

Now for my take on the events. I have to admit that I am only an average player when it comes to optimizing my forces to take advantage of a particular situation. I just don't have the organizational skills to compete with a player like Rader on the tactical level. Quite frankly, in a similar situation as this last battle, I would have fared much worse as I tend to set my CAP on seat of the pant hunches and for what I feel would be historically correct. My solution is to compensate by playing my game much more conservatively to compensate for my tactical weak points.

This is in no way a critique of Greyjoys very aggressive style. He has done amazing things in this game and the knowledge that I have gained just by following his AAR has been incredible. Both from the game play and from all the very good input. So, I will not offer any tactical advice but give a few key overall strategic observations that I think might help for the "average" Allied player. And open the floor for comment. This is for scen #2 and consider that you are playing a good opponent.

1. Patience is a virtue. If you are in it for the campaign then you are looking to close the deal in 45 or 46 depending on events.

2. You won't win by wiping out the Japanese air force. However, given a good base network and a deliberate advance the Allied airforce should always be able to win at the point of attack.

3. Traditonal avenues, and historic routes, are not a bad way to go. Japan is always in the fight as long as they an strong economy. The best plan is to destroy Japanese oil and cut off lines of supply and reinforcementment to the home islands and hurt Japanese production as best you can before considering major operations against the Japanese home land. This does not mean that opportunities to exploit mistakes should not be taken. (We all dream of taking Hokkaido in 44) The Allied player should always be looking for an exploit that will gain a foothold in critical areas. Take bases that force the Japanese player to react and offer opportunities to inflict damage-especially to the IJN gives the Japanese player flexibility. Look for safe bases. After 1943 you are pretty safe from most counter invasions.

4. You absolutely need to have multiple points of attack to disperse Japanese resources. Only one avenue and the Japanese can react and defend.

5. Be ready to throw out most preconceptions. Be ready to adjust to the realities of the game and don't cling to what you expected or wanted to happen. (For expample, I have pretty much abandoned any notion of my 44 sub fleet bringing Japanese commerce to its knees..)

6. The Aleutian route and Central Pacific may not be such a bad way to go. Versus an intact Allied fleet, it is hard for the Japanese player to defend islands because it is easier to isolate them and neutralize LBA.

7. No matter what your principal route of attack you have to put pressure on Japanese oil if only to force the Japanese player to use forces needed elsewhere to defend it.

8. Avoid major land campaigns where you can't cut off the flow of supply and reinforcments. The Japanese army is just too large.

9. What the hell, wait for the Soviets.....

9. If you are playing guys like Alfred, Nemo, Pzb and a few others, then think about winning in 1946 and plan on using every A-bomb that you can get your hands on. Don't fret about victory levels just do it because it needs to be done.....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 6096
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:21:21 PM   
EUBanana

Maybe the solution is to split CVs up into chunks with roughly 300 fighters in each chunk. Perhaps the Death Star is not the way forward after all. You might lose a chunk, but at least their CAP would be at full effectiveness.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6097
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:22:51 PM   
GreyJoy

Heades, sorry but i don't agree 100% with you.
Despite i've been hit hard this time i don't think we're far from an acceptable combat model for the late 1944/1945 big air battles.

With the new patch, imho, the system works great.
Now some bombers get through but the CAP is able to tangle pretty well the attackers before they deliver their ordinances.

This very last battle is probably a bit out of statistics...i repeat that i firmly believe i have been particularly unlucky with the ineffectiveness of my CAP over CVs, while the LRCAP over the invasion fleet worked perfectly with only 1 (ONE) torp scored against a CL.

In the other circustances we've tested (over Hachinoe, Over Aikita etc tec) the new patch works and the CAP works too.

here...well...were something didn't work...Rader too told me he was very very surprised and he even tought i had 90% of my fighters on LRCAP over my invasion fleet, leaving only 10% on CAP (while, as we know, was exactly the opposite)...

We cannot know what really happened...let's imagine the japs were favoured by a cloud coverage or something like that...and that they had the luck of finding the 70% of the available CAP fighters during their re-fueling process (bad decision by the Admiral who allowed the bulk of the fighter force to refuel at the same time).

Now, if you all please, let's bring the whole discussion about game mechanics and game flaws to the tech support and let's keep on fighting...the road is even longer now so we all need to focus on the strategic situation and decide what to do

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6098
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:28:15 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

In my book, no matter what happens in this game from this point forward, GJ is already the victor (and has been since Hokkaido).  My reasoning:

1.  Scenario Two gives Japan lots of advantages.
2.  Rader has really worked the House Rules to his advantage and continues to do so.
3.  Against a newb, rader pulled out all the stops, taking out all China and almost all of India (almost all of which happened before people became aware of this game and could step in to lend GJ a hand from time to time).
4.   In other "pulling out all the stops" things, rader did stuff like mass scores of AA units in a single hex in India and march five divisions across the Owen Stanley Mountains.  Whether that kind of activity is kosher is debatable, but not as much when the opponent is a newb in my book.
5.  GJ maintained a positive outlook and learned very quickly.  He cut his teeth in the Solomons and performed very well.
6.  The invasion of Hokkaido was brilliant.  I'm sure he had plenty of advice from experienced players, but he showed the good sense to implement the advice and did so successfully.
7.  He hasn't played perfectly by any means.  He's still relatively new to the game and thus (until recently) hadn't suffered the kind of devastating carrier-battle loss that tends to make experienced players much more cautious.  Thus, he can be impulsive at times.  He's learning though.  I think he's shown the willingness to dive into minutae that suggests he will soon become a very high caliber player.

Overall, taking all factors into consideration, GJ won this game.

Yep agreed. Greyjoy could have played very conservative after taking Hokkaido and won the game in 45 with no problem. I am sure Rader knows that and will give him credit for it. He won when he pulled it off. Everything after than was really an experiment to please his rabid fan base as we urged him on to push the edge of the envelope.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6099
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:28:16 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

I admire your fighting spirit GreyJoy. I have the utermost respect to people who continue their PBEM regardless what happens to the point both can agree its finished.
Since this game is a HUGE time comitment nothing is more frustrating than an opponent who ragequits the game because it goes not his/her way.
Carry on and thanks for this great AAR

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 6100
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:28:37 PM   
hades1001

Sorry to hijack you thread dude. Good luck.

How many carriers are left and be able to fight in 3 months? That's when you can launch a new invasion and you'll need carriers for sure.

And now you have to pay attention to your supply lines. They will be raided for sure...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 6101
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:31:37 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

So you really think 300 fighters(1/3 of the cap) in the air only kills 50-60 planes before they reach the torpedo release point is reasonable? In early war stage 100 cap will do the same job, if not shot down more.

No I don´t, but the combat report also tells me differnt numbers than you seem to take for granted.

Ill put it simple as it is:
The strike on GJ carriers was too much for the CAP he assigned. To counter such a dedicated raid (also considering rader for ages trains his most valuable pilots
for such occasions) he would have needed more than 3 times the numbers, and still would face losses.

We do not have many historical examples of dedicated CAP trying to stop a high skill naval attack counting more than 500 a/c. But examples in comparable enviroment
suggests that a 300 fighters will not neccesarily dent such a strike. How should it with WWII capabilities?

Think BoB, close to all fair weather raids countered by heavy resistance reached target, and this with the best integrated air defense system in the world at the time.

To position carriers 80 miles from mainland Japan, while the IJN is still able to mount large scale strikes with modern planes and good pilots would never ever have been
allowed by the USN, for very obvious reasons.

If you want to complain about the ability of Japan to mount this type of raids in scen. 2 late war, please do so.
But don´t confuse that fact as an issue of the air combat model.

Wow, you will never get tired me thinks. Going with your logic, the only reason why the Japanese haven't won the war in the Pacific is the fact that they never were able to muster a 600 ac strike because if they would have, they would have sunk all Allied carriers and - won the war.

On and on and on and on there are still the same borked results and they just always go wrong, so why the hell are YOU always coming up with what went wrong with the Cap and why it happened? Wow, there is always something going wrong with my Cap, holy moly, thanks you told me.

The only thing I agree is that GJ had not enough Cap but what was available was a pure sh*t in the air and there is no excuse, no matter how many times you want to try to find excuses for each and every time it happens. But no matter how excellent you think the airmodel is, at some point even you should deal with the fact that it can't handle those big fights. Just like big ground battles, big naval battles, big of everything. The code isn't working with any sort of BIG engagements.

edit: and no, I am not thinking the Cap should have annihilated the strike, but it should have done something to it. It did... nothing... and there is no reason for nearly all fighters not being available as you point out all the time, NO REASON.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 1/26/2012 4:42:05 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 6102
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:40:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I don't know all this issues when I start the game. Feel like I was trapped.

And of course I can adapt to this game engine and just exploit to my advantages. But that's not the point, the point is the stock game can be better and that's why Michael release so many patches for. To fix bugs and tweak wrong things, right?

I guess I feel that changes after I start a game and am well into it make me feel trapped too. Not all of the changes implemented since I started my PBEM two years ago are good ones, IMO.

Yes, MichaelM has changed any number of gameplay effects, including squishing some bonafide bugs. Before stumping for changing the code, however, I urge caution and consideration.

So:
1. Have other players experienced these same problems?
2. If so, how many?
3. Have other players NOT experienced these same problems?
4. If so, how many?
5. What is the nature of the problem?
6. Was this unwelcome change 'introduced' by previous code tweaking? Can it be 'undone' in hindsight?
7. How can it be fixed?
8. Should this fix be added in an official patch or a beta moving forward?

Without consideration of these other questions and investigation, any 'call to arms' for the developers / programmers risks premature involvement, IMO.

Anyways, 'nuff said. Sorry to hijack, GreyJoy. Enjoying your AAR and its activity!

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 6103
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:51:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
Now, if you all please, let's bring the whole discussion about game mechanics and game flaws to the tech support and let's keep on fighting...the road is even longer now so we all need to focus on the strategic situation and decide what to do

Good attitude, GreyJoy. Hear hear.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 6104
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 4:53:24 PM   
obvert

My one question for GJ is this.

How much do you have on Hokkaido and in your Honshu invasion hexes, and how long can you last without sending resupply from the states?

The reason I ask this is that after this the KB will hunt for several months out there and be able to have it's way with anything in the Pacific. It will have to turn around though at some point and get more fuel and ordnance. Obviously your subs will also be on the hunt, and out of range of Es and ASW air. So ...

Can you last out this storm by just not sending convoys for a months or two, or will that kill your established positions? Can you put a good amount of stuff close, say in the Aleutians, under LBA cover, and keep them there until a window opens?

If he does reveal the KB in the deep Pacific, can you sneak supplies up from the south?

Anyway, interested to hear thoughts on the new situation.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6105
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 5:17:16 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

My one question for GJ is this.

How much do you have on Hokkaido and in your Honshu invasion hexes, and how long can you last without sending resupply from the states?

The reason I ask this is that after this the KB will hunt for several months out there and be able to have it's way with anything in the Pacific. It will have to turn around though at some point and get more fuel and ordnance. Obviously your subs will also be on the hunt, and out of range of Es and ASW air. So ...

Can you last out this storm by just not sending convoys for a months or two, or will that kill your established positions? Can you put a good amount of stuff close, say in the Aleutians, under LBA cover, and keep them there until a window opens?

If he does reveal the KB in the deep Pacific, can you sneak supplies up from the south?

Anyway, interested to hear thoughts on the new situation.

I have 3,5 millions supplies in Hokkaido.
more 1,3 millions in the Kuriles (spread along the differend bases).
800,000 between the different beachheads in Honshu.

Sure i can last...for a couple of months at least...

Well, KB will be hunting...that's for sure...but i am not completely teethless... 7 CVs, 1 CVL and 20 CVEs mean...at least 500 attacking planes....enough to sink a couple of CVs, right?...and if i remain under LBA cover...the LBA bombers aren't affected by the 7 hexes limitation....

He can go raiding...sure...but it won't be a walk in the park

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6106
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 5:20:12 PM   
Canoerebel

GJ has plenty of supply at Hokkaido, but he will still be able to send supply from the USA.  He can do so via massive convoys that are protected by his remaining carriers, taking advantage of the big island bases in Alaska and Canada to prevent getting ambushed, but a better way might be to break up his convoys into smaller groups that go unsecorted and take the chance of getting demolished.  Losing ten or twenty xAKs now and then isn't going to hurt GJ, while the balance of his merchantmen will get through (taking advantage of the island bases for CAP, but probably doing without carrier cover).

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6107
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 5:27:28 PM   
hades1001

oh this reminds me! I'm able to use gas tank for carrier fighters like Wildcat and Hellcat when they are on board in my game,so they can fly 10 hex now I guess. And SBD can fly 8 hex.

So right now Japs should have no distance advantage, right? Or did I missed something the advantage is still there?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6108
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 5:30:53 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

oh this reminds me! I'm able to use gas tank for carrier fighters like Wildcat and Hellcat when they are on board in my game,so they can fly 10 hex now I guess. And SBD can fly 8 hex.

So right now Japs should have no distance advantage, right? Or did I missed something the advantage is still there?

Only from LBA. From allied carriers strikes are limited to 7 hexes. beware

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 6109
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 5:37:36 PM   
hades1001

So even i select to use gas tank on the carriers, and their range can be selected as 8-10 hex.

They can still fly only 7 hex in the real combat?

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 6110
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 6:35:04 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

GJ has plenty of supply at Hokkaido, but he will still be able to send supply from the USA.  He can do so via massive convoys that are protected by his remaining carriers, taking advantage of the big island bases in Alaska and Canada to prevent getting ambushed, but a better way might be to break up his convoys into smaller groups that go unsecorted and take the chance of getting demolished.  Losing ten or twenty xAKs now and then isn't going to hurt GJ, while the balance of his merchantmen will get through (taking advantage of the island bases for CAP, but probably doing without carrier cover).

Yep, the way I see it now he just need hold on until the Russians are activated. Without a serious carrier force it is going to get fairly stagnant though. He is pretty much committed to the route that he is taking both now and later. It will be a grind. The good news is that Rader is going to run out of new fighters to advance and GJ will catch up sooner or later... The bad new is that it is going to be hard for GJ to really impact Rader's economy and so he is going to see a lot of enemy air planes for a long time...

Biggest thing is that Rader has not lost any carriers. And that is very big. For that reason alone, he holds the advantage for a while.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6111
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 6:38:30 PM   
crsutton

quote:

So even i select to use gas tank on the carriers, and their range can be selected as 8-10 hex.

They can still fly only 7 hex in the real combat?

Yep forever... But that is just strikes. You should be able to extend your searches with drop tanks and that helps. Plus a little more range for LRCAP or recon. Not sure if the 7 range limtation affects sweeps. Anyone?

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 6112
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 6:54:25 PM   
hades1001

Lucky to get this clear, I was making plans based on my fighters can escort 8 hex...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6113
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 7:22:58 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

One quick point and then one of my lengthy discourses.

All this discussion about CAP but no discussion about flak. Not to say that an exposed GJ would not have been hurt but I think the most sad aspect of any late war battle is the weakness of Allied flak. Tankers and AKs are one thing but these attacks are against the Allied "A" team at a time when flak should be very deadly and account for a key number of aircraft kills.

Now for my take on the events. I have to admit that I am only an average player when it comes to optimizing my forces to take advantage of a particular situation. I just don't have the organizational skills to compete with a player like Rader on the tactical level. Quite frankly, in a similar situation as this last battle, I would have fared much worse as I tend to set my CAP on seat of the pant hunches and for what I feel would be historically correct. My solution is to compensate by playing my game much more conservatively to compensate for my tactical weak points.

This is in no way a critique of Greyjoys very aggressive style. He has done amazing things in this game and the knowledge that I have gained just by following his AAR has been incredible. Both from the game play and from all the very good input. So, I will not offer any tactical advice but give a few key overall strategic observations that I think might help for the "average" Allied player. And open the floor for comment. This is for scen #2 and consider that you are playing a good opponent.

1. Patience is a virtue. If you are in it for the campaign then you are looking to close the deal in 45 or 46 depending on events.

2. You won't win by wiping out the Japanese air force. However, given a good base network and a deliberate advance the Allied airforce should always be able to win at the point of attack.

3. Traditonal avenues, and historic routes, are not a bad way to go. Japan is always in the fight as long as they an strong economy. The best plan is to destroy Japanese oil and cut off lines of supply and reinforcementment to the home islands and hurt Japanese production as best you can before considering major operations against the Japanese home land. This does not mean that opportunities to exploit mistakes should not be taken. (We all dream of taking Hokkaido in 44) The Allied player should always be looking for an exploit that will gain a foothold in critical areas. Take bases that force the Japanese player to react and offer opportunities to inflict damage-especially to the IJN gives the Japanese player flexibility. Look for safe bases. After 1943 you are pretty safe from most counter invasions.

4. You absolutely need to have multiple points of attack to disperse Japanese resources. Only one avenue and the Japanese can react and defend.

5. Be ready to throw out most preconceptions. Be ready to adjust to the realities of the game and don't cling to what you expected or wanted to happen. (For expample, I have pretty much abandoned any notion of my 44 sub fleet bringing Japanese commerce to its knees..)

6. The Aleutian route and Central Pacific may not be such a bad way to go. Versus an intact Allied fleet, it is hard for the Japanese player to defend islands because it is easier to isolate them and neutralize LBA.

7. No matter what your principal route of attack you have to put pressure on Japanese oil if only to force the Japanese player to use forces needed elsewhere to defend it.

8. Avoid major land campaigns where you can't cut off the flow of supply and reinforcments. The Japanese army is just too large.

9. What the hell, wait for the Soviets.....

9. If you are playing guys like Alfred, Nemo, Pzb and a few others, then think about winning in 1946 and plan on using every A-bomb that you can get your hands on. Don't fret about victory levels just do it because it needs to be done.....

Agreed with you 100%... bolded points answer the questions of should Japan be able to field these numbers, since they couldnt in Rl... this isn't RL this is Scen 2 and Rader owns the DEI, India, and China...fact.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6114
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 7:25:05 PM   
jeffk3510

GreyJoy- your patience with all of us is amazing. Please give me some to use on my wife, son, and unborn son coming this summer...god knows I need it.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 6115
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 7:26:47 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, my thanks to GJ for (1) providing marvelous entertainment when he could've just sat on his strategic bombing for a year; and (2) taking the game to new places, acting as a sort of "test" that would reveal things that work and don't work.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 6116
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 9:56:12 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

I guess I feel that changes after I start a game and am well into it make me feel trapped too. Not all of the changes implemented since I started my PBEM two years ago are good ones, IMO.

Yes, MichaelM has changed any number of gameplay effects, including squishing some bonafide bugs. Before stumping for changing the code, however, I urge caution and consideration.

So:
1. Have other players experienced these same problems?
2. If so, how many?
3. Have other players NOT experienced these same problems?
4. If so, how many?
5. What is the nature of the problem?
6. Was this unwelcome change 'introduced' by previous code tweaking? Can it be 'undone' in hindsight?
7. How can it be fixed?
8. Should this fix be added in an official patch or a beta moving forward?

Without consideration of these other questions and investigation, any 'call to arms' for the developers / programmers risks premature involvement, IMO.

Anyways, 'nuff said. Sorry to hijack, GreyJoy. Enjoying your AAR and its activity!

As few AAR have got to late 44 there are few examples to quote.

IMHO It is exacerbated by the narrow thrust that GJ has used rather than a theatre wide approach. There is no need for rader to defend anywhere except the HI so both players probably have 75%+ of there air forces facing a 5-6 hex front.

What I think GJ failed at is getting rader tied up actively defending in 3-4 other areas by co ordinated pushes, maybe he took took much up to Hokkaido and left the other fronts bare.

I also think they are pushing the limits of the game engine and hope that the devs/programmers are watching hard. There have been a few circumstances which need review, plus in the case of the great CV Raid, the inability of the best AAA equipped fleet of all time to knock down more attackers than they achieved.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6117
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 10:00:36 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

Lucky to get this clear, I was making plans based on my fighters can escort 8 hex...

The Japs can fly 8 hexes, the Allies only 7. So if Jap CVs are about make sure your CVs are moving around, if you leave them still for a while they'll get sniped by Japs without actually striking back.

<---- bitter experience

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 6118
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 10:20:50 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
IMHO It is exacerbated by the narrow thrust that GJ has used rather than a theatre wide approach. There is no need for rader to defend anywhere except the HI so both players probably have 75%+ of there air forces facing a 5-6 hex front.

Yup. I've never seen battles this big before, I'm in Feb 1944, and I can't really see it happening to be honest for some time yet.

I don't like overstacking airbases so that means about 15 squadrons max in the typical airbase, and too few airbases to have more than a couple such on a given axis of advance.

Like if I took Guam and Saipan for B29 purposes thats just two airfields at a huge range from Japan, I can't see it being all that effective or leading to vast air battles.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 6119
RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! - 1/26/2012 11:44:02 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Yup. I've never seen battles this big before, I'm in Feb 1944, and I can't really see it happening to be honest for some time yet.

I don't like overstacking airbases so that means about 15 squadrons max in the typical airbase, and too few airbases to have more than a couple such on a given axis of advance.

Like if I took Guam and Saipan for B29 purposes thats just two airfields at a huge range from Japan, I can't see it being all that effective or leading to vast air battles.

You should take Hokaido, these bases can have lvl 9 AFs

Btw. I just got also a "big" raid from Jap AI in June44 (400 or so I believe), couldn´t be stopped also. Even if strong CAP from land + CVs. But only 5 CVE sunk by Kamis

But I would be interested to see a screenie from some of the fighters than were on these carriers, GJ........ if you still have the turn before the disaster. Did you rebase them from landbases to the carrieres recently ? That could be one of the reasons also for poor performance.

Also I find the location you choose for this strike/landing op a bit strange

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 6120
Page:   <<   < prev  202 203 [204] 205 206   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1st oct 1944 Shidens ONLINE! Page: <<   < prev  202 203 [204] 205 206   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI