Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/25/2012 7:30:23 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I want one.....Wodin you would love it here today.....Wet and rainy......  Good gaming and sleeping weather.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 61
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/25/2012 8:34:05 PM   
wodin

All the offers sound amazing...and I ain't messing either...shame none of you are some big shot company director who can give me a job...well I'm guessing your not one anyway..

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 62
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/25/2012 8:40:41 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

All the offers sound amazing...and I ain't messing either...shame none of you are some big shot company director who can give me a job...well I'm guessing your not one anyway..

I am a big shot. Only problem is no one at my company realizes it.

AND I AM UNANIMOUS IN THAT!

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 63
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/25/2012 8:46:14 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Brother Wodin keep us informed. My daughter is 15 now and would love another sister to "hang out". I would also like another vict..ahem...er opponent to game with. You might be in luck about a job. And I dont mean just a hand job. My company might just be the recipient of a multi-million Euro contract in May. Fingers crossed.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 64
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/25/2012 11:38:53 PM   
wodin

Slaakman keep me informed...sounds interesting...

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 65
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 1:31:45 AM   
Rosseau

I know you know what you're doing, but be careful brother. My uncle-in-law (not a good guy) was cleaning his weapon and his 3-year-old daughter somehow pulled the trigger and blew his brains out. 

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 66
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 1:32:46 AM   
freeboy

I was not shocked, and actually quite pleased that my brothers here are all about the defense of home and family...
My new wife and I while away came back to your tiny appt in Suburban Massachussets years ago to find the easy to hock.. tv, steroe etc gone.. not the heavy custom speakers.. really??? my company made, nore our expensive china... but something they could get high quick with...
I was both relieved, and pissed... odd.
After a nearby drug shooting, and this break in we decided our quite inner city home was, well not quite enough. We moved to the burbs, then to Colorado.
I started typing totally committed to saying that even better than leathel weopons is a good and loud dog... especially when you are not around!!! My parents old Pyrennes could bark so loudly it could be heard when outside almost a mile away! He would startle at night an bark.. even from inside he would awaken our next door friends. cough, who bitterly complained ...
Aside from a dog who barks... a well lit area also adds "discomfort " to would be thieves. And of course there
COo-Bambi... the ;loud and unmistacable sound of smith or westein or berretta or.. well you get my point...

We live in evil times where children are brutally killed, and women  are not too safe in our cities. I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked.. but have no tollerence for the weakness that allows evil men or women to remain free or housed in luxery awaiting punishment..
Hanging .. cheap safe and soon to be legal if I become dictator of the west...
now that is a joke for those who do not know me...

< Message edited by freeboy -- 1/26/2012 3:02:09 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 67
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 2:02:46 AM   
Perturabo

But can you trust the government to decide about killing people who aren't an immediate danger? I had a lot to do with courts and I wouldn't. Life time sentence without ability to get out for good behaviour is enough to stop them and you can actually let out a person if it turns out that he/she was wrongly sentenced.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 68
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 7:16:33 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HintJ

I usually go to bed pretty early, and I often sleep for five hours and wake up, then I try to fall back asleep for a couple of more hours before I get out of bed. Last night was typical, except that after I awoke after my first five hours of sleep or so, I was laying in bed having difficulty falling back asleep, and then I heard a very load noise coming from my basement, as if a pile of stuff had been knocked over. I was not half-awake, the noise I heard was very distinct and quite loud.

Someone had knocked something over by accident in my basement! I was convinced it must be a thief!

I needed to investigate, but I wasn't about to go down to my basement and face a thief bare-handed, so I needed a weapon. I used to keep a rifle in my house, and I wished I still had it, but a cumbersome 30-30 lever-action rifle isn't exactly a good home defense weapon. Still, I wished that I had it.

I went and grabbed a kitchen knife. I opened to door to the stairway down to the basement and clicked the light on.

Looking down the stairway, I got this strange sensation. Long ago I used to feel this way whenever I drove delivery trucks into ghetto Philadelphia or Hunts Point in Bronx. Yeah, like I was entering a very bad situation. Also, since I turned the stairway light on, the thief will be surely hiding, see me first, and do everything he can to stop me. Alternatively, I could just yell down the stairs that "I'm calling the Cops!" and then set up my own ambush at the top of the stairs and hope he runs away empty-handed.

Here's where it gets amusing:

I thought, "What the hell is wrong with me? I play crazy games where I tell my pixel troops to do things ten times scarier and I get upset when they show reluctance!" Wow, what a hypocrite I am! No, I'm not calling the Cops first, I'm going into that basement and stab a man to death if necessary! Seriously.

Well, I went down there and apparently the thief was long gone. I searched the basement in great detail, being sure to not turn on any more lights! I thought of the game "Oblivion" when I was looking for him and fearing a surprise zombie attack--I was genuinely afraid.

Apparently, quickly after he made his loud noise he ran away, but I didn't know that at the time. My side basement door was not completely closed, and the lock was half-turned. I know a similar trick to break in though that door when I lock myself out/

I don't know what my point is here, but I would never ask an employee or subordinant to do anything I'm not willing to do. I guess I feel a little guilt playing some of these crazy wargames...

Funny story and I'm glad to hear you are not harmed or in any other sort of trouble. I've had similar times in my life when I thought I had to do something about an intruder, luckily for me it's always been something other than that. But I've never related anything to games while going through them, that's a new twist.

For me it was waking up to the sound if smashing glass and getting out of bed, grabbing the shot gun, grabbing a flashlight and slowly going along, room by room, trying to figure out what happened. This scene has repeated itself many times over the years but nothing has ever really happened. It's terrifying though and it really does take some courage to deal with it and be ready for anything, at least that's the way I feel about it.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 69
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 5:28:37 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

Why not a taser as home defense weapon, instead of risking lives and limbs with tactical nuclear weapons? Just asking.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 70
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 5:34:59 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

Why not a taser as home defense weapon, instead of risking lives and limbs with tactical nuclear weapons? Just asking.

'Cause nukes settle the matter in a definite way, the girlie taser just might not stop someone who gives up their 'right' to life when they enter one's home.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 71
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 6:07:30 PM   
parusski

OOOOHH. Another story today about why citizens should be armed. Young punks attack a 65 year old man...Man, 65, kills teen who knocks him off bicycle

Post #: 72
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 6:49:32 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

Heck, even on the TV show "Cops" I've seen tasers not stop people.

Post #: 73
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 7:05:00 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

OOOOHH. Another story today about why citizens should be armed. Young punks attack a 65 year old man...Man, 65, kills teen who knocks him off bicycle

How much do you want to bet that we hear how it is not poor little johnie the thugs fault, his mom and dad let him down, and that mean old man never should have been riding the bike!
I'm not far from Reading Pa. I've watched that town go down the toilet for years.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 74
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 7:20:42 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

How much do you want to bet that we hear how it is not poor little johnie the thugs fault, his mom and dad let him down, and that mean old man never should have been riding the bike!
I'm not far from Reading Pa. I've watched that town go down the toilet for years.

Yeah, I am waiting to hear how "great" little Johnnie is. I have a feeling he was actually trying to prop up the poor old man, who was unbalanced, drunk and screaming at the young angels.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 75
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 8:07:20 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

Both maybe but not a tazer by itself, not for the home. Tazer could make sense in some ways, but for when it really needs to stop someone, no thanks.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 76
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 8:09:33 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

I read about a dozen of these stories every month in the NRA publication, "The American Rifleman". You can read them here online:

http://www.nraila.org/armedcitizen/

Ron Swanson

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 77
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 8:49:01 PM   
2ndACR

Taser for home defense? I would never recommend that. When a criminal makes the choice to break into a house that is probably occupied, the only thing to trust then is a gun for defense. Like I stated earlier, if a criminal is willing to risk his life robbing me, I am willing to oblige him by taking said life.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 78
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/26/2012 9:05:32 PM   
freeboy

seriously... tazer? lol
I do not think so myself

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 79
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 12:52:52 AM   
Gunhawk

I wouldn't use a Tazer or any other weapon that can't be used from a distance when I can more easily reach out and touch someone with a Govt. model 1911 .45. However, people that are going to use a firearm ought to spend a *lot* of time practicing with it. Some friendly competiton in the International Defensive Pistol Association would help a lot to build up confidence as well. I've been a member for several years and i've found that what I *thought* that I could do under pressure wasn't really up to par, so I kept on practicing and now i'm satisfied that I can handle myself in any home defense situation.

And if you own a gun. Join the NRA.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 80
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 1:16:24 AM   
sabre1

You have a moral duty to stop these predators if the capability lies in your hands. Can anyone here predict what these animals will do if they continue to break into homes. If you don't stop them who will? Who will be injured in the future by these types of predators. You are just in the application of force, because there is a moral right in this world regradless of an unmoral system that says "you shoudln't' do that. I refuse to be a sheep for the slaughter by unjust systems who seek to make you sheep for their own evil purposes, and yes there is evil in this world. Spare me the arguments over human relativism.

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 81
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 1:30:21 AM   
2ndACR

Bah, everyone knows society forced said "bad guys" to break into homes to survive. It's not their fault. We should just give them carte blanch on your house, they come in back door, you go out front door.

Glad I live in Texas where said bad guys will be tried by me and sentenced by me upon said entry.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 82
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 2:37:16 AM   
HintJ

Thanks for all the advice. My home was indeed broken into, and I think I know *personally* who did it.

An update:

Recently the local police (I live in a smaller town) have arrested someone for attempting to burglarize a local restaurant, and he set off an alarm or something in the late night hours. He was running away and was caught attempting to break into another house! The house he was caught in was a recent victim of a burglary, and I speculate he was previously the guy who burglarized it, and so probably knew where he could hide. The cops say he is a suspect in other recent burglaries.

Maybe it is the same guy that was in my basement; I don't know for sure.

But I know who this guy is. I'm 100% certain he's a drug addict. I hope he gets straight.

Then again, if it was someone else that was in my basement, I'm not going to let my guard down. The first firearm I could get my hands on is (unfortunately) an SKS, but it has this really impressive foot-long icepick bayonet. I think any rifle is a little too long to quickly turn on someone in a close area, but if he comes back, I have a new strategy.

I've set up a *sandbag* spot at the base of my stairway where I can fire a couple of warning shots into w/out damaging anything, I hope. I also want to give any intruder a window of opportunity to escape, and I intend to communicate my desire to any thief. I don't want to shoot or kill anyone, and I hope that he does run away, if not, well, ****, I've got to go back down there.

I don't know. I can make all the plans I want to make myself feel secure, and if this ever happens again it might be totally different. How am I supposed to know what it going to happen next time? Who can? Honestly, I think a handgun is the best route.

Anyway, I've never been burglarized before, and it was very upsetting.

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 83
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 3:22:05 AM   
Titanwarrior89

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I like it! That is so true.

I need to move to the country so I can let the grass grow high, hang a engine block in the front yard from a chain and put a car up on blocks. Then every criminal will know a gun lives in that house. Called the redneck security system, more effective than a Brinks sign.

A bunch of guns in my case.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 84
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 4:11:59 AM   
2ndACR

No warning shots. That is a recipe for disaster. You would be better off arming yourself, and announcing at the top of the stairs you are armed and will shoot. You are talking about a high powered rifle round fired from a couple of feet.

Buy a shotgun with #7 bird shot or get yourself some non lethal rounds. Odds are, all you would have to do is rack the chamber and the burglar will crap his drawers at the sound.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 85
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 4:20:28 AM   
sabre1

^ Yep, you have given up a serious advantage once you make yourself known. Let's hope he isn't armed, you just told him where you are. Congratulations, you have now become a target, and if you lose the encounter, put your family at risk. There is no second place in these situations. I personally have a friend who actually killed the perpetrator with his bare hands. He was in very good shape fortunately, and his wife who is DEAF, was unaware of the encounter. Can you imagine the scenario if he had lost.

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 86
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 4:28:58 AM   
2ndACR

Go with a 12 gauge HintJ, save yourself the lawsuit or personnel injury from a ricochet. The #7 bird shot is damn near perfect for home defense, can and will kill at close range, has a nice spread on it, won't penetrate most home walls too much at decent range (20 feet or so). Buy that and hang a sign inside your back door in glow in the dark paint that says "If you can read this, you are about to be shot".

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 87
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 5:16:59 AM   
Gunhawk

Whatever you do, learn how to use the weapon. If you buy any semi-automatic shotgun, pistol or rifle LEARN HOW TO CLEAR A JAM!
Pump shotguns can, and do, jam as well, and a jammed weapon is a club! I go to firing ranges in several different states and i'm appalled at how people taking careful aim at 25 feet will miss a man sized target! Under a stress situation they would be a danger to themselves, family and pets. I was at a gun show in Florida and saw a vendor about to sell a semi-auto pistol to a woman who looked to be at least 80 years old. I stood behind her, shook my head "no" to the vendor, and pointed at a revolver. He took the hint and said "maybe you should try this one as you might have trouble pulling back the slide on the semi-auto" and handed her a .38 Taurus.

I'm not trying to lecture anyone here, and there has been very good advice, BUT the advice is for people who know what they're doing. I'd advise anyone that knows how to use a pistol to buy a Govt. 1911 .45, but I know that the recoil and muzzle blast will make many people nervous. I'm still trying teach my neighbor how to use one. He's determined, but the .45 just scares him and he can't shoot well with it. I can tell by where he's hitting the target that he's flinching and trying to hold the barrel down. He hits about 8 inches off at 25 feet! Anybody that's truly proficient will shoot a ragged hole in the bull at that range. His ability just ain't gonna cut it in a combat situation. I'd rather see him stick with a 9mm.

Same goes for a shotgun on full choke. It is *not* a scatter gun. At close range you will make a golf ball sized hole in the target, which means that you *can* miss. It's not a magic alternative to practice. What's more, the recoil from 00 will really knock you back if you aren't ready for it.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 88
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 5:21:36 AM   
2ndACR

One more thing, you never stated where you are located. That is very important. You need to check your states laws on home defense and lethal force. If you are in a state that has a castle doctrine, you should be okay, but if in a state that requires you to retreat, your in trouble.

Check those laws.

(in reply to Gunhawk)
Post #: 89
RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. - 1/27/2012 8:10:41 AM   
HintJ

You guys have totally missed the point here.

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI