Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Area Weapons Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Area Weapons Question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/26/2012 8:14:47 PM   
tiagocc0

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Mmmm, in my books I never saw the AI put a superweapon on a design.... To the contrary it removes them when you auto-refit ships after a tech breakthrough.  

According to the posts above the AI uses the 'devastator pulse'.

< Message edited by tiagocc0 -- 1/26/2012 8:55:56 PM >

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 31
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/26/2012 8:52:48 PM   
WoodMan

I should clarify I haven't seen the AI put the super area weapon on its stations.  But my ship design was automated which I believe designs ships exactly as it does for the AI factions, so if it put them on mine I think it would put them on the AI too.  Also, your construction size matters, it might not put them on if you haven't got a large construction size researched.  (For me it put only on stations, not on the Cap ship because I couldn't even build a Cap ship yet with my construction level).  The one in the above example image was a cheat using the editor 

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to tiagocc0)
Post #: 32
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/26/2012 8:57:06 PM   
tiagocc0

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I should clarify I haven't seen the AI put the super area weapon on its stations.  But my ship design was automated which I believe designs ships exactly as it does for the AI factions, so if it put them on mine I think it would put them on the AI too.  Also, your construction size matters, it might not put them on if you haven't got a large construction size researched.  (For me it put only on stations, not on the Cap ship because I couldn't even build a Cap ship yet with my construction level).  The one in the above example image was a cheat using the editor 

Sorry, this was what I meant, the AI being the AI that designs your own ships.

But about the opponent AI, I've seen them using all kinds of area weapons.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 33
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/26/2012 10:57:18 PM   
VarekRaith

I design all my ships.
However!
I completely agree with WoodMan and the checkbox idea to disallow area weapons from auto design. Also, the AI should be re-tuned to not use area weapons to the extent it currently does. So many times I watch their stations nuke entire freighter convoys.

(in reply to tiagocc0)
Post #: 34
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/26/2012 10:59:28 PM   
tiagocc0

quote:

ORIGINAL: VarekRaith

I design all my ships.
However!
I completely agree with WoodMan and the checkbox idea to disallow area weapons from auto design. Also, the AI should be re-tuned to not use area weapons to the extent it currently does. So many times I watch their stations nuke entire freighter convoys.

Exactly. The checkbox is a good idea, I wouldn't mind a checkbox where you could choose if it would do or not friendly fire.

(in reply to VarekRaith)
Post #: 35
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/27/2012 10:56:14 AM   
MartialDoctor

Well, as I design my own ships and micro my battles, I find the area weapons to be great.  They are very effective to have on a handful of ships that move in close to the enemy to wipe out a clustering of enemies.

However, previous points are well made.  The AI does not micro it's fleets and it may be good to tweak the area weapons, tweak the way they are used, or something of the sort.

(in reply to tiagocc0)
Post #: 36
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/27/2012 12:50:25 PM   
tiagocc0

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartialDoctor

Well, as I design my own ships and micro my battles, I find the area weapons to be great.  They are very effective to have on a handful of ships that move in close to the enemy to wipe out a clustering of enemies.

However, previous points are well made.  The AI does not micro it's fleets and it may be good to tweak the area weapons, tweak the way they are used, or something of the sort.

The easiest fix would be to remove friendly fire, so the AI wouldn't need to be fixed.

The second easiest fix would be to remove area weapons. But since you like to use it, other people are likely to have the same opinion.

The best solution would be to fix the opponent AI so it would use it wisely and fix the ship design AI so it would use area weapons only if the player wants it.

The perfect solution would be like above plus a checkbox to remove friendly fire (and maybe make area weapons less powerful) so people who don't like to micromanage ship combat could enjoy this kind of weapon.

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 37
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/27/2012 5:47:35 PM   
Jerkface

I dont use any AoE weapons on any of my ships...too easy to blow my own stuff up or hit friendly aliens.  What I do like to do however, is load up a single one-off ship design for raiding purposes with AoE weapons, and fly it to enemy space ports.  BLAM BLAM, smash up all their ships at once like a suicide bomber.  

(in reply to tiagocc0)
Post #: 38
RE: Area Weapons Question - 1/27/2012 5:58:04 PM   
tiagocc0

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jerkface

I dont use any AoE weapons on any of my ships...too easy to blow my own stuff up or hit friendly aliens.  What I do like to do however, is load up a single one-off ship design for raiding purposes with AoE weapons, and fly it to enemy space ports.  BLAM BLAM, smash up all their ships at once like a suicide bomber.  

That's a valid strategy, but the point is that the AI doesn't know how to handle AoE weapons, so something has to be done.

(in reply to Jerkface)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Area Weapons Question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI