Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 6:06:55 PM   
parusski

Well, we can use our imaginations.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 91
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 6:12:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Warspite

NEVER! I only deal in fact Steiner - not tittle tattle and supposition like some old fish wife. What I put to print is true and from impeccable sources*.

* Usually

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 92
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 6:24:41 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite

NEVER! I only deal in fact Steiner - not tittle tattle and supposition like some old fish wife. What I put to print is true and from impeccable sources*.

* Usually

I see you had one nerve left and someone posing as me posted that heresy and stepped on that nerve.

Mostly

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 93
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 6:28:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite

* Usually

I see you had one nerve left and someone posing as me posted that heresy and stepped on that nerve.

Mostly

Warspite1

Trouble is, once people start believing you are not a serious writer then you are finished. The last thing we need is people thinking this Peanut Brittle thing is all made up.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 94
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 6:34:32 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite

* Usually

Mostly

Warspite1

Trouble is, once people start believing you are not a serious writer then you are finished. The last thing we need is people thinking this Peanut Brittle thing is all made up.

Yes indeed. I have punished the child who made that horrible post. "Never, never, never make anything up about PB, Winston Churchill", 1941.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 95
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 6:45:02 PM   
warspite1

You know, I've been thinking.

Many people in history have been shown to have made stupid individual decisions, or indeed have a whole career worth of crass behaviour behind them. A great number of these have been shown to have been under the influence of BPB - Dick Van Dyke for example - when he thought he could do a cockney accent or indeed James Coburn trying dismally to play an Aussie in The Great Escape.

But how many of life's great blunderers could not blame "the brittle" (As we in the Hood, call it) but were in fact just complete and utter, 24-carat ********?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 96
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:12:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

So there you have it - no idea what the man is talking about, but it sounds serious.....

It's hard to believe that no one has touched on the single greatest controversy surrounding peanut-brittle, that being whether its salted or unsalted.

The opening phrase "Salted, or not salted, that is the question" from the play "Peanuts" proves that William Shakespeare was greatly concerned with this controversial issue.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 97
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:30:03 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

So there you have it - no idea what the man is talking about, but it sounds serious.....

It's hard to believe that no one has touched on the single greatest controversy surrounding peanut-brittle, that being whether its salted or unsalted.

The opening phrase "Salted, or not salted, that is the question" from the play "Peanuts" proves that William Shakespeare was greatly concerned with this controversial issue.

Yes Shakespeare was greatly concerned about this. He passed a petition around Uttoxeter to require local council to provide free Peanut Brittle to all citizens. But Uttoxeter had two powerful Peanut Brittle importers, John and Peter, who controlled the local PB market and Shakespeare's drive failed.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 98
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:31:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

STOP PRESS! This is surely a world exclusive??!!?!?!

So Orm let's be clear: are you saying you have evidence that the Bard himself, the great William Shakespeare, actually wrote Peanuts? You mean it was he that created Snoopy, Linus, Charlie Brown (one of my personal heroes along with Eyeore) Peppermint Patty et al and not Schulz?

Wow that really is mega and knocks Ambrose into a cocked-hat (whatever that is). Tell me more - this is BIG!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 99
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:38:25 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

So Orm let's be clear: are you saying you have evidence that the Bard himself, the great William Shakespeare, actually wrote Peanuts? You mean it was he that created Snoopy, Linus, Charlie Brown (one of my personal heroes along with Eyeore) Peppermint Patty et al and not Schulz?

Wow that really is mega and knocks Ambrose into a cocked-hat (whatever that is). Tell me more - this is BIG!

No, no. Although William Shakespeare wrote peanuts all the other works you mention were in fact written by Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

Edit: Eyeore?

< Message edited by Orm -- 1/29/2012 7:41:48 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 100
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:45:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

No, no. Although William Shakespeare wrote peanuts all the other works you mention were in fact written by Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

Warspite1

Yes Winnie-the-pooh's friend from the hundred-acre wood

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 101
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:47:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Warspite1

Orm - information overload - so who wrote what?

Edward de Vere wrote the stuff Shakespeare was supposed to write?
Shakespeare wrote the stuff Schulz was supposed to write?
What the hell did Schulz write?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 102
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:50:45 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Warspite1

Schultz wrote a little known comic strip in Bulgaria called Stalin's Organ.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 103
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 7:52:25 PM   
Orm

quote:

The Bible?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 104
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 8:00:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

The Bible?
Warspite1

Nope, I think that was King James

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 105
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 8:03:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Warspite1

Schultz wrote a little known comic strip in Bulgaria called Stalin's Organ.
Warspite1

I remember it well from my time in Sofia; it featured the lead character Dimitar Browniv, who had a dog called Snoopov, and friends such as Linusov, Peppermint Patiov, Pigov Penov and Sallyov.

Which leads me to an important question - does eveyone in Bulgaria have a name ending in V?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 106
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 8:11:01 PM   
Orm

quote:

Which leads me to an important question - does eveyone in Bulgaria have a name ending in V?

No. Her Majesty's Charge d'Affaires in Bulgaria Catherine Barber has a name that do not end with a V

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 107
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 8:21:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

No. Her Majesty's Charge d'Affaires in Bulgaria Catherine Barber has a name that do not end with a V

Warspite1

Listen Orm - no one likes a smart alec However, you are quite right and I shall re-phrase the question:

Does every Bulgarian have a surname ending in V?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 108
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 8:37:56 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Listen Orm - no one likes a smart alec However, you are quite right and I shall re-phrase the question:

I suppose most of them have a surname that ends with a V. But I did remember they had a ruler Boris III, Tsar of Bulgaria, during WWII. But to be sure I looked him up and his full name was Boris Klemens Robert Maria Pius Ludwig Stanislaus Xaver and I suppose that his name sort of answers your question.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 109
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 8:58:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I suppose most of them have a surname that ends with a V. But I did remember they had a ruler Boris III, Tsar of Bulgaria, during WWII. But to be sure I looked him up and his full name was Boris Klemens Robert Maria Pius Ludwig Stanislaus Xaver and I suppose that his name sort of answers your question.
Warspite1

Good work Orm. Can I ask you to follow up on the Shakespeare/Peanuts story? See what you can get from asking around but only use top quality sources - try The National Enquirier and The Daily Star first.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 110
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 9:19:53 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Good work Orm. Can I ask you to follow up on the Shakespeare/Peanuts story? See what you can get from asking around but only use top quality sources - try The National Enquirier and The Daily Star first.

Top quality sources?????

Edit: The National Enquirier and The Daily Star is top quality? Not even the models in the Daily Star are of top quality. I am shocked. Shocked!

< Message edited by Orm -- 1/29/2012 9:21:42 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 111
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 9:28:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Top quality sources?????

Edit: The National Enquirier and The Daily Star is top quality? Not even the models in the Daily Star are of top quality. I am shocked. Shocked!
Warspite1

Okay you can go more upmarket if you think that will help - try Razzle or NUTS perhaps. I know, go to the TV networks - Heraldo and Jeremy Kyle. Whatever, just get to the bottom of the story Orm you are wasting time - goodness, I wish Ambrose was still with us; he would have written a flippin book by now.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/29/2012 9:29:22 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 112
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 9:43:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Top quality sources?????

Warspite1

Okay you can go more upmarket if you think that will help - try Razzle or NUTS perhaps. I know, go to the TV networks - Heraldo and Jeremy Kyle. Whatever, just get to the bottom of the story Orm you are wasting time - goodness, I wish Ambrose was still with us; he would have written a flippin book by now.

I will pray to Saint Ambrose for an answer on how to write a book on this subject in 30 minutes. Maybe that will help me.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 113
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 9:45:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Top quality sources?????

Warspite1

I will pray to Saint Ambrose for an answer on how to write a book on this subject in 30 minutes. Maybe that will help me.
Warspite1

30 mins? So it will be a two volume work then?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 114
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 9:47:54 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Top quality sources?????

Warspite1

Warspite1

30 mins? So it will be a two volume work then?

I surrender. I beg you. I do not have time for this.

Agads! Wrong thread again.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 115
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 10:19:22 PM   
warspite1

Another amazing fact!! I have followed Formula 1 Motor Racing properly since 1982 and I never knew this:

Since crash helmets were first introduced into the sport, they have all been made from Peanut Brittle (not Brazilian for obvious reasons). One of the biggest problems has always been drivers getting hungry during a race. There have been instances where a driver has actually eaten part of his helmet during long races!

According to Ambroses' 2001 bestseller: Peanut Brittle the F1 years, this is the reason that one of the main questions asked of a prospective driver by a team owner during the interview process is "Do you have a sweet tooth?". A driver that says yes is unlikely to get a drive, a) because he might generally get too fat and thus not be able to fit in the car, and b) it is very distracting trying to eat your own crash helmet while heading towards the Parabolica at 200mph . Yet another scarcely believable fact from the world of Peanut Brittle

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 116
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 10:21:13 PM   
planner 3

For information on Salted or Unsalted....The Salted variety was for long term preservation and used by Naval Personell exclusively, while the Un-salted was utilized for civilian consumption, (no not the disease), and has a very short shelf life, which explains why you have trouble finding same at a movie theatre. These excerpts are from "Principles of Peanut Brittle" by Babar the Elephant. (copywrited)

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 117
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 10:24:37 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: planner 3

For information on Salted or Unsalted....The Salted variety was for long term preservation and used by Naval Personell exclusively, while the Un-salted was utilized for civilian consumption, (no not the disease), and has a very short shelf life, which explains why you have trouble finding same at a movie theatre. These excerpts are from "Principles of Peanut Brittle" by Babar the Elephant. (copywrited)

Ah planner 3. You are becoming quiet the advocate of PB. I wish you would tell us your preference.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 118
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 10:33:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: planner 3

Warspite1

planner 3, I do not wish to undermine Babar - I am an admirer of his works afterall - but I think he is barking up the wrong tree here. The Royal Navy never used PB for eating. PB was only put aboard ship for the explicit use of firing at the enemy. When fired in conjunction with a cannon ball, the PB would cause carnage amongst French sailors. For sure, the cannon ball did most damage, but almost certainly the PB probably helped with the general melee and confusion too. From Ambroses' 1978 blockbuster: Peanut Brittle; Never Mind The Cannon; Its The Peanut Brittle:

"The Royal Navy never used PB for eating. PB was only put aboard ship for the explicit use of firing at the enemy. When fired in conjunction with a cannon ball, the PB would cause carnage amongst French sailors. For sure, the cannon ball did most damage, but almost certainly the PB probably helped with the general melee and confusion too."

There, that's all the proof you need Babar.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 119
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 10:43:40 PM   
parusski

quote:

Another amazing fact!! I have followed Formula 1 Motor Racing properly since 1982 and I never knew this:

Since crash helmets were first introduced into the sport, they have all been made from Peanut Brittle (not Brazilian for obvious reasons). One of the biggest problems has always been drivers getting hungry during a race. There have been instances where a driver has actually eaten part of his helmet during long races!

According to Ambroses' 2001 bestseller: Peanut Brittle the F1 years, this is the reason that one of the main questions asked of a prospective driver by a team owner during the interview process is "Do you have a sweet tooth?". A driver that says yes is unlikely to get a drive, a) because he might generally get too fat and thus not be able to fit in the car, and b) it is very distracting trying to eat your own crash helmet while heading towards the Parabolica at 200mph . Yet another scarcely believable fact from the world of Peanut Brittle

Sometimes I forget about the humour where Peanut Brittle is concerned. I have seen some post F1 race interviews and was amazed at the size of most of the drivers. The lack of teeth is also distracting. XD!

warspite1, do you read anything other than Ambrose? XD!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI