Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: B-17 supremacy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: B-17 supremacy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 9:04:47 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

Alot words sorry. My question dont touch how fight with LB.
My question why LB work like DB.
If you see AAR then easy can find similar order of attack like divers.
11 waves = 11 hits

2 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
Port Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
5 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
5 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
1 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
7 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *

They don't, as you can see. Hit ratio of 6% in this case is perfectly realistic, as explained by other posters. War is hell and people die. CVs get sunk. Deal with it like the generation that fought in those ships. It's not bug, just you have to understand military realities and stop whining.

People here are the most helpful folks ever to help you to understand how game works, but you are definitely not doing favours to yourself by accusing game mechanics to do things that about 99% of people on this forum (including developers who frequent here) KNOW is not true.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 61
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 9:10:21 PM   
denisonh

Plauisible results given the conditions:

Partly cloudy
No radar
No heavy AA
Negligible CAP
39 B-17s (that is a signioficant amount of ordanance)
Very large ships at anchor
(With nothing to really disturb the B-17s, they could make some really good runs)

The only "bug" is your decision to disband your CVs within range of significant Allied 4Es.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 62
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 9:18:42 PM   
Puhis

I think btbw does have some point. It's generally too easy to hit ships at port, especially small ships. IRL high flying level bombers were not as effective ship killer as we see in the game, like they were not airfield killer either. But it's not a bug, it's how game engine handles level bombers. I've sunk dozens of PT-boats and small crafts using level bombers. I'll bet IRL PT-boats or small minelayers would be extremely hard to hit in a big port. Now it seems that if there's any kind of ship at port, level bombers are going to hit them.

But I also think he got valuable lesson here: don't waste your precious IJN carriers fighting that south...

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 63
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 9:30:43 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

I think btbw does have some point. It's generally too easy to hit ships at port, especially small ships. IRL high flying level bombers were not as effective ship killer as we see in the game, like they were not airfield killer either. But it's not a bug, it's how game engine handles level bombers. I've sunk dozens of PT-boats and small crafts using level bombers. I'll bet IRL PT-boats or small minelayers would be extremely hard to hit in a big port. Now it seems that if there's any kind of ship at port, level bombers are going to hit them.

But I also think he got valuable lesson here: don't waste your precious IJN carriers fighting that south...

I don't believe it accounts for ship size in port bombing, so a lone PT or a lone CV disbanded in a port will have the same % chance of being hit. I guess things like maneuverability and such are just ignored as well, rather more intuitively.

However if you got a bunch of different types the PTs won't get hit as the engine will target the other ships first.

I guess, however, that an unarmoured and small ship would be wrecked by near misses quite handily so the really small ships suffering is probably fine.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 64
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 9:48:37 PM   
pompack

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Sir -

You do seem to have your undies in a wad.

Please seriously consider LoBaron's recommendation and find another game to play.

Respectfully,

Mac

Dont tell me what to do and i dont tell you where to go

We are not telling you where to go either, just suggesting that you go to the place of your choice.

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 65
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 10:32:44 PM   
bradfordkay

Yes, level bombers in the game have proven to be more accurate in their attacks on ships than they were IRL. There are other weapons in the game that are also slightly more effective in the game than they were IRL. There are also weapons in the game which have proven to be less effective than IRL. It doesn't mean that the game is broken or unplayable, just that finding the perfect balance on some weapon systems has proven to be difficult.

While the B17s and B24s on occasion seem to be nearly unbeatable in the game, they are present in rather limited quantities and so do not tilt the balance too far.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 66
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 10:45:42 PM   
Jaroen

@btbw

Yes, those bombers were pretty effective. As they were in real life!
They did attack individual ships in ports! They did attack by individual planes and by twos/threes/etc. And they did hit. Not like Dive Bombers but with sticks of bombs like you mentioned already. Ships in ports are static targets. Never do compare such an attack with open sea conditions! And of course conditions per attack will vary. Luck, weather, AAA, recon, radar, air defense, crew status, and whatever. Also you should take into account that bomb hits don't mean major damage. The hit/damage-routine for bombing is giving relatively more hits, but less damage per bomb, compared to history. As you know, history proves that one bomb could easily cripple a CV. This happens less frequently in-game as it did historically. Take this into account as well! You also don't know about actual chances produced in your example. Would the same happen a 100 times? Were you lucky/unlucky? Be careful with drawing rigid conclusions from one example.

On a clear day, with experienced crews and good recon it wasn't too hard for the bombers to do an awful lot of damage on ships in port. They did! Google it, you will find examples. So don't think your result is a-historical.

In your example those bombers arrived over target just about together with the first fighters. I don't think the game really calculates it that specifically, but if it does it means all bombers had a first unhindered bombing run. From your example 9 bombers out of almost 40 got a hit. That's very good in my opinion though not impossible. But do realize what I said before, the game produces more hits and less damage with bombing. Look it up, it's mentiond by the developers someplace. So how much damage was actually done per hit/bomb?

And do you agree with evidence from historical samples that ports in range of enemy bombers were in extreme danger!?
What did you have in defense regarding fortifications, AAA, fighters and long distance warning systems (radar)?

From my own experience (playing the AI) I find bomber attacks very effective against unprotected ground targets. Only solid ground defense can lessen the effect very significantly. Such measures would be high level forts, good AAA, good fighter defense and good supply. If one of those fails, you're in trouble! I figure the Japan-players could easily be in trouble a lot of times if not playing exactly to the strengths/weaknesses of the game.

Good luck with the rest of the game.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 67
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/4/2012 11:22:40 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Sir -

You do seem to have your undies in a wad.

Please seriously consider LoBaron's recommendation and find another game to play.

Respectfully,

Mac

Dont tell me what to do and i dont tell you where to go

Agreed, Sir.

You have your views and opinions and there has been a number of excellent comments posted; I have learned much from this thread.

I do hope that this challenge does not detract from you enjoyment of AE; and trust that you will work through it and continue on.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 68
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 1:49:48 AM   
Itdepends

I hope he doesn't go looking for a PBEM partner or he may find his choices borked.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 69
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 2:29:11 AM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

Partly cloudy
No radar
No heavy AA
Negligible CAP
(With nothing to really disturb the B-17s, they could make some really good runs)

The only "bug" is your decision to disband your CVs within range of significant Allied 4Es.

Really i dont understand how base can affect on ability of LB choose target and attack it individually.
Plese stop appeal to history when B-17 damage something. If you want compare with RL then provide example how B-17 attacks only flattops in port with evvectivness of dive bomber.
My opinion is game mechanics in that cause wrong and should distribute damages between ships with may be one flattop as main target and few close stayed or stayed on the way of raid.

@Jaroen
Targetting for raid of LB in port attack wrong. Despite on high accuracy during that bombing. Look into history facts - B-17 can hit AREA.

< Message edited by btbw -- 2/5/2012 3:02:20 AM >

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 70
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 2:29:41 AM   
Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

I hope he doesn't go looking for a PBEM partner or he may find his choices borked.

You mean he quits after 5 turns when someone does something unhistorical like bomb a CV in port? I would hate for him to see my AAR then, lost 2 brit cv's to betties bombing the port (800kg hits on both Cvs) - both took off from max range bases - and I had no clue he had buffs there, but then again I was trying to refuel to kick em out to sea - Darwin had maximum cap with 50+ fighters, but due to cloud cover and light rain the fighters couldn't find them.

Genuine mistake, I have the AO's following american carriers and I tend to have British carriers for raiding units or protecting APA's more then anything else.

/sounds like a disgruntled newbie that needs to take the time to learn some simple things about the game - like not putting a carrier in a port around any long range bombers period (this includes betties and Nells)

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 71
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 3:07:35 AM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

You mean he quits after 5 turns when someone does something unhistorical like bomb a CV in port? I would hate for him to see my AAR then, lost 2 brit cv's to betties bombing the port (800kg hits on both Cvs) - both took off from max range bases - and I had no clue he had buffs there, but then again I was trying to refuel to kick em out to sea - Darwin had maximum cap with 50+ fighters, but due to cloud cover and light rain the fighters couldn't find them.

Genuine mistake, I have the AO's following american carriers and I tend to have British carriers for raiding units or protecting APA's more then anything else.

/sounds like a disgruntled newbie that needs to take the time to learn some simple things about the game - like not putting a carrier in a port around any long range bombers period (this includes betties and Nells)

Why you talking about CV? Problem not in CV but in wrong targeting ALL flattops. It definitely bug and must be removed from game. B-17 not tactical bomber.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 72
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 3:27:39 AM   
btbw

Best bomb accuracy achieeved by B-17 was near 75% bombs in 300000 sq.m area.
With dimensions of japanese CVs we have around 75000 sq.m target area.
160 bombs give to us 3 hits in target.
But we have 8 hits in different ships (magically it flattops).
So game think all flattops stay together in bombing area and count all hits distributed between top-ships only.

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 73
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 3:31:29 AM   
btbw

Afternoon Air attack on Noumea , at 115,160

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 24 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
     A6M2 Zero x 16

Allied aircraft
     B-17D Fortress x 3
     B-17E Fortress x 26

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
     B-17E Fortress: 6 damaged

Japanese Ships
     BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 6,  on fire
     CA Chikuma, Bomb hits 2,  heavy damage
     CL Tatsuta, Bomb hits 1,  on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
              Port Attack:  4 x 500 lb GP Bomb
      1 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
      3 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *
              Airfield Attack:  4 x 500 lb GP Bomb
      4 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 13000 feet *

CAP engaged:
Hiryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (2 airborne, 6 on standby, 8 scrambling)
     2 plane(s) intercepting now.
     Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 15000.
     Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes

Okano E. in a A6M2 Zero makes head on attack ... forces B-17E Fortress out of formation
Koizumi T. in a A6M2 Zero makes head on attack ... forces B-17E Fortress out of formation

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 74
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 3:32:59 AM   
btbw

Again.
11 waves which target top-ships individually and scoring hits like dive bombers.

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 75
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 3:40:52 AM   
Grfin Zeppelin

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...Banana Phone.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 2/5/2012 3:41:21 AM >

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 76
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 4:07:45 AM   
crsutton

Yes, you have a point. I agree heavies are a bit too accurate. This is no secret just part of the game. It is not a bug though, just one more aspect of the game that you will have to get used to.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 77
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 4:28:16 AM   
YankeeAirRat

Okay first off a couple of things to help me out figure some of this out.

1. Which scenario were you playing? Was it stock or was it a mod?

2. Do you have a save file from before and after to share with michealm to see if this is a true bug or it this is working as designed?

3. What exactly is the complaint you have? Is it that it appears that B-17's are are getting accurate bombing against carriers or that a B-17 in real life wasn't that accurate against ships in general?

****I am going to preface the rest of this by saying that I am in no way a designer, play tester, or in any connected to Matrix, Henderson Designs, or anyone else connected to WiTP/UV/WiTP:AE. I am just a prolific war gamer and gamer on a whole****

It appears to me that your failing to understand some of the game mechanics here. If you open up the stock scenario editor and look at and of the ships there is nothing giving dimensions of any ship. The only thing given to any of the ship class whether it is a carrier or a LCI is a durability rating and a tonnage rating. There is nothing defining its length, width, draft, or anything else like that. So to answer your question as to why a bunch of B-17's with sticks of 500lb bombs are able to get hits on your ships which are docked in port is just a bad set of "dice" rolls done by the computer behind the screens.

The game abstracts (and most Grigsby games do this since 'Eagle Day') the attack of a bomber against a large static target like a base/city/port/island and all the targets there. From my understand after many years of playing UV and vanilla flavored WiTP (along with Eagle Day and Bombing the Reich) is that the computer sorts all the targets based on whether or not the target is obsurced by weather/smoke, by how well scouted it is, and then in the term of LCU's size (which goes hand in hand with the recon levels). So that is why from my many years of observing attacks in the game that some LCU's get hit harder then others because they are larger in the sense of men and the game assigns them via some algorithm to represent a large target even though in real life they might be spread out all over the place in that city or base. At which while the game is resolving the attacks will assign a plane or group of planes per target. It will then resolve each attack for each aircraft; in the process of resolving those attacks the computer rolls the "dice" for each of the bombs to make a hit. If a hit is recorded then it is just for that one bomb. After all the bombs for that one plane are resolved the numbers of wx/smoke, recon, etc are adjusted for the next plane; it all then goes through the same process all over again. I know in some board war games, the math can get pretty complex to the point that having a computer spread sheet to help resolve a 4E bomber to make an attack helps speed everything up. The computer is doing those processing and that is why you see the report of the air raid and why it takes a while sometimes if it is a large raid against either a TF or a base to resolve because it is doing the same for each aircraft in the raid.

So it appears to me and as others have pointed out that you have suffered a series of bad "dice" rolls behind the screens by the computer. Which is why I would suggest that you maybe go to a save before the raid and re-run it. See if you get the same results. I would bet you dollars to donuts that you won't get the same results. If not that then you won't get as much damage as you did in this attack.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 78
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 5:07:07 AM   
Richrd

I wonder how many times the Tirpitz was bombed before it finally rolled over. By the way, is it still there?

Richrd

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 79
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 5:09:48 AM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richrd

I wonder how many times the Tirpitz was bombed before it finally rolled over. By the way, is it still there?

Some large parts of her are still there afaik.

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 80
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 5:48:16 AM   
denisonh

Historical examples only go so far in helping building a combat model. The simple fact that lack of an occurence does not mean that it could not happen.

What that means is that the IJN did not anchor CVs within B-17 range I (i.e they used Truk rather than Rabaul during the Solomons for that very reason). So by managing risk, they eliminated those potential occurences. That does not mean that it could not happen in the model.

An example would be to ask how many children are run over on interstates while playing hopscotch in the middle of those interstate highways. The answer of coursre is zero. That does not infer that it is safe to play hopscotch in the middle of an interstate highway. But if I was to model it, anyone playing hopscotch would get run over. One would argue without any historical examples the model is bad, but when modeling you have to account for situations that are for obvoius reasons are avoided because of the obviously bad consequences.

If you think it is safe to park your CVs at anchor within range of several B-17 squadrons with clear weather, no radar, light AA, and no land based CAP, then I question your judgement.

Also recommend you don't try playing hopscotch in the middle of an interstate highway either..........

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

Partly cloudy
No radar
No heavy AA
Negligible CAP

Really i dont understand how base can affect on ability of LB choose target and attack it individually.
Plese stop appeal to history when B-17 damage something. If you want compare with RL then provide example how B-17 attacks only flattops in port with evvectivness of dive bomber.
My opinion is game mechanics in that cause wrong and should distribute damages between ships with may be one flattop as main target and few close stayed or stayed on the way of raid.

@Jaroen
Targetting for raid of LB in port attack wrong. Despite on high accuracy during that bombing. Look into history facts - B-17 can hit AREA.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 81
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 5:53:17 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richrd

Some large parts of her are still there afaik.

Yes it is. Seeeeeeeeeee.............

Attachment (1)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 82
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 6:56:00 AM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yes, you have a point. I agree heavies are a bit too accurate. This is no secret just part of the game. It is not a bug though, just one more aspect of the game that you will have to get used to.

Accuracy to high yes, but it not main problem.
4E LB going on targets waves by waves.
See what happen:
Air raid of 4E LB going on port DIVIDED by waves of 1-6 planes. It ridicolus. Usable formation for level bombers was BOX. Only size and dimensions of box varied. No individual attacks for raid. It not Recon flight or Naval strike where 1-2-3 planes free to choose direction for attack and target. How you imagine 40 warbirds crossing course of each other? Or defensive shooting by gunners in chaotic flight of 40 potential victims? Never heard how friendly fire hit ships (from AAA), planes (from defense guns and even bombs)? It because you totally dont understand problem of organisation air raid.

1st wave 7 planes for example - leader see CV Soryu - dive for attack, scoring 1-2 hits.
Really? As i said before accuracy of level bombing was low so for gain 1 hit even in target like CV need more planes then just 6. My calculation is 12-13 planes per possible hit. All funboys who wanna flood here with lucky strike must first find how much planes flied without any hit and compare result. War statistic bad for funboys - 1% in naval strikes or 30% in area bombing (area, not pin-point).

2nd wave 6 planes - same target. 1-2 hits.
Well if 2nd wave follow leader strike it ok. For example recon found CV repairing in certain place, leader planned attack and direct raid via local orientirs. Above target just a few corrections and raid heading on attack course. Now only hig accuracy a problem cuz 1+2 wave must scoring only 1 hits, not 2-4.

3rd wave 5 planes - target CV Kaga. 1-2 hits.
Again too high accuracy. If we have deal with naval strike then ok - open place, good visibility, staying target, no flak, low fighter presence - it all add points to make successful hits. May be even 2, not 1. But port attack it different thing.
Not alone ship - so choosing target hard. Even so big target like CV. Bunch examples when pilots think that destroyer under their feet it battleship and merchant is fleet carrier. In port you can add camo on ships so bomber cannot divide ship from buildings. Some people remembering how Brest attacked by Brits and scoring hits. But do they remember these ships was masced and only weeks of recon + local intel provide them finally place to where target bombs. Same for Tirpitz - only few minutes left before smoke completely close target, but nazi dont got this chance. So how we see port attack it area attack with predefined coordinates of targetted ships. For LEVEL BOMBERS. Tactical bombers like Mitchells of course can strafe, skip-bomb, glide and level bombing everyting in port what they choose. Just because they have maneur for change targets and some surveliance ability over target.
B-17 have only bombsight and low turrets for obscure. And that mean when bomber incoming close to port - he maintain course on predefined target (with correction from visible marks like alone buildings, water tower etc). Yes, LEADER can redirect raid to one of biggest ship or in couple ships for better results. But leader CANNOT redirect sections on individual targets and distribute them between them. Also raid planning have predefined direction and heights of attacks. Broke plan? Got bombs on your plan. No one dont hear about smoke from bomb hits? PH fo example. Initial plan have TB first, DB after it so smoke from bomb hits dont hide targets. It was broken and result was as we know, but it can be better if signal from leader was definitely and correctly translated. And it attack bombers which can close to targets on distance when see what socks wearing captain. What will see LB from 13k feet if raid attack individually on port? First explosion near and in target - viola, smoke close target, good luck with pin-point targetting. I read about effectivness of level bombing - each attack on target lowering chance to hit area for next planes by 1.5 times. So in our example first wave (lol of course this attack cannot be done wave by wave but ok) can make 75% accuracy in 300000sqm or 1 bomb in target like CV, then next wave can make 50% accuracy and may be 1 bomb if dice roll was lucky. It all. All other hits can be random and spread around whole area. And of course NO INDIVIDUAL TARGETTING OF WAVES.

4th wave 5 planes - target CV Kaga, 1 hit if not 2 before.

5th and 6th waves 3+2 planes - target CV Shokaku, 1 hit.

rest of waves - target BB Kirishima and port, 1 hit to BB and 2 to port.

So in 1942 level bombers can divide targets and attacks them with inflicting at least 1 hit when they stayed in port. Many modern bomber pilots drool when see this result. I wonder why we need all this AGM, corrected bombs, huge amout of sensors, phase arrays if this mission can be easy solved by iron-bombing?
What must be in AAR in really?
1-3 hits to main target like CV Soryu (found by recon and targetted by formation fo B-17 with adeguate amount of bombs used on targets for score at least one hit... dammnit any air command officer have methodical papers where these digits printed and he plan attack guided by it)
1-2 hits to random ships (stayed near impact of bomb spot from raid)
2 hits or more to port (cuz it have SAME probability for hits, we remember ship stayed close to port so half of area around ship it harbour water, another pierce.)
And completely different from situation in game rigth now.
B-17 like dive bombers in their attack on Rabaul. Is it fair for wargame make unreal advantage for LB?

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 83
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 7:36:42 AM   
YankeeAirRat

Dude,

Again the question I have is do you have a save of before and after? Have you tried to load the save from before and seen if the same situtation repeats? If it does then maybe you do have a bug. It not then maybe 4E level bombers are working as designed.

Again it sounds to me that you just suffered a series of bad dice rolls that lead to this situtation. Which I think everyone is talking about here. I would also let you know that in real life level bombers attacking large targets and even small targets in a port attack. Just look up the USS Sea Lion where Japanese bomber with a less accurate bomb site then the Norden sight were able to score hits on the submarine while it was docked at Cavite Naval Yard in the Philippines. I could also point out that the B-17's were able to sink a few U-boats in ports in places like Bremen, Cherboug, and even Kiel naval yards with massed raids that were just trying to hit the whole port. I would also humbly suggest that you give the US Strategtic Bombing Survey for both Europe and Pacific a read to see how USAAF level bombers were able to kill or heavily damage ships in ports during port attacks.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 84
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 7:58:33 AM   
denisonh

When doing a data model of an actual event, you have to have a range of outcomes. This is a single outcome. IT IS PLAUSIBLE. Combat modeling involves a great deal of chaos and must account for outcomes that reflect ahistoric behavior (e.g. parking your carriers in a port within range of a large number of enemy 4e bombers).

As much as I refrain from attributional terms, you were less than thoughtful to do what you did. DON"T BLAME THE GAME.

Get over the fact you pulled a bonehead move, and move on.
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Accuracy to high yes, but it not main problem.
4E LB going on targets waves by waves.
See what happen:
Air raid of 4E LB going on port DIVIDED by waves of 1-6 planes. It ridicolus. Usable formation for level bombers was BOX. Only size and dimensions of box varied. No individual attacks for raid. It not Recon flight or Naval strike where 1-2-3 planes free to choose direction for attack and target. How you imagine 40 warbirds crossing course of each other? Or defensive shooting by gunners in chaotic flight of 40 potential victims? Never heard how friendly fire hit ships (from AAA), planes (from defense guns and even bombs)? It because you totally dont understand problem of organisation air raid.

1st wave 7 planes for example - leader see CV Soryu - dive for attack, scoring 1-2 hits.
Really? As i said before accuracy of level bombing was low so for gain 1 hit even in target like CV need more planes then just 6. My calculation is 12-13 planes per possible hit. All funboys who wanna flood here with lucky strike must first find how much planes flied without any hit and compare result. War statistic bad for funboys - 1% in naval strikes or 30% in area bombing (area, not pin-point).

2nd wave 6 planes - same target. 1-2 hits.
Well if 2nd wave follow leader strike it ok. For example recon found CV repairing in certain place, leader planned attack and direct raid via local orientirs. Above target just a few corrections and raid heading on attack course. Now only hig accuracy a problem cuz 1+2 wave must scoring only 1 hits, not 2-4.

3rd wave 5 planes - target CV Kaga. 1-2 hits.
Again too high accuracy. If we have deal with naval strike then ok - open place, good visibility, staying target, no flak, low fighter presence - it all add points to make successful hits. May be even 2, not 1. But port attack it different thing.
Not alone ship - so choosing target hard. Even so big target like CV. Bunch examples when pilots think that destroyer under their feet it battleship and merchant is fleet carrier. In port you can add camo on ships so bomber cannot divide ship from buildings. Some people remembering how Brest attacked by Brits and scoring hits. But do they remember these ships was masced and only weeks of recon + local intel provide them finally place to where target bombs. Same for Tirpitz - only few minutes left before smoke completely close target, but nazi dont got this chance. So how we see port attack it area attack with predefined coordinates of targetted ships. For LEVEL BOMBERS. Tactical bombers like Mitchells of course can strafe, skip-bomb, glide and level bombing everyting in port what they choose. Just because they have maneur for change targets and some surveliance ability over target.
B-17 have only bombsight and low turrets for obscure. And that mean when bomber incoming close to port - he maintain course on predefined target (with correction from visible marks like alone buildings, water tower etc). Yes, LEADER can redirect raid to one of biggest ship or in couple ships for better results. But leader CANNOT redirect sections on individual targets and distribute them between them. Also raid planning have predefined direction and heights of attacks. Broke plan? Got bombs on your plan. No one dont hear about smoke from bomb hits? PH fo example. Initial plan have TB first, DB after it so smoke from bomb hits dont hide targets. It was broken and result was as we know, but it can be better if signal from leader was definitely and correctly translated. And it attack bombers which can close to targets on distance when see what socks wearing captain. What will see LB from 13k feet if raid attack individually on port? First explosion near and in target - viola, smoke close target, good luck with pin-point targetting. I read about effectivness of level bombing - each attack on target lowering chance to hit area for next planes by 1.5 times. So in our example first wave (lol of course this attack cannot be done wave by wave but ok) can make 75% accuracy in 300000sqm or 1 bomb in target like CV, then next wave can make 50% accuracy and may be 1 bomb if dice roll was lucky. It all. All other hits can be random and spread around whole area. And of course NO INDIVIDUAL TARGETTING OF WAVES.

4th wave 5 planes - target CV Kaga, 1 hit if not 2 before.

5th and 6th waves 3+2 planes - target CV Shokaku, 1 hit.

rest of waves - target BB Kirishima and port, 1 hit to BB and 2 to port.

So in 1942 level bombers can divide targets and attacks them with inflicting at least 1 hit when they stayed in port. Many modern bomber pilots drool when see this result. I wonder why we need all this AGM, corrected bombs, huge amout of sensors, phase arrays if this mission can be easy solved by iron-bombing?
What must be in AAR in really?
1-3 hits to main target like CV Soryu (found by recon and targetted by formation fo B-17 with adeguate amount of bombs used on targets for score at least one hit... dammnit any air command officer have methodical papers where these digits printed and he plan attack guided by it)
1-2 hits to random ships (stayed near impact of bomb spot from raid)
2 hits or more to port (cuz it have SAME probability for hits, we remember ship stayed close to port so half of area around ship it harbour water, another pierce.)
And completely different from situation in game rigth now.
B-17 like dive bombers in their attack on Rabaul. Is it fair for wargame make unreal advantage for LB?

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 85
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:21:53 AM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat
I would also let you know that in real life level bombers attacking large targets and even small targets in a port attack.

Attacking targets one-by-one with diversed targets due their class? Or just released bombs on what see under feet?
Your links provide next info
LB had 30-40% accuracy in 1000 feet range from aim point (an it late planes like B-29 with better bombsights and radar targetting guided by high-expirienced pilots).
Carrier-based B had 50% accuracy in 250 feet range from aim point.

Please run game and compare what we have in WITPAE.

< Message edited by btbw -- 2/5/2012 8:22:35 AM >

Post #: 86
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:27:38 AM   
btbw

quote:

I would also let you know that in real life level bombers attacking large targets and even small targets in a port attack. Just look up the USS Sea Lion where Japanese bomber with a less accurate bomb site then the Norden sight were able to score hits on the submarine while it was docked at Cavite Naval Yard in the Philippines.

Please before post here facts take a look how accurate was japanese bombing.

http://ww2db.com/images/battle_invphilip6.jpg

Does it look like 2 ports hits lol?

P.S. Big difference for comparing Cavite attack and AAR - in AAR LB targetting 3 CV + BB. In Cavite japanese LB targetted NAVAL YARD and do alot hits (hard to miss so big area) and also got 2 hits in SS and MSW. BUT best target like AS Pigeon was untouched just because stayed some far then SS and bomb spot dont laying on her lol.

< Message edited by btbw -- 2/5/2012 8:38:01 AM >

Post #: 87
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:34:01 AM   
YankeeAirRat

I am sorry but your link doesn't work.

Are you trying to post this image?

or this one?

or was it this one?

Again the USS Sealion was heavily damaged in the opening day raids against Cavite Naval Base by Japanese land based bombers.

You seem to find it almost impossible that a ship docked in a port can be destroyed by a level bomber. Yet that is what happened in real life in numerous locations. Whether that level bomber is a TBD Devestator, a Nakajima B5N, A B-25, a B-17, Do-17, Ju-88, DH.98 or an Avro Bomber Mark 1. Ships of all size from Battleships down to little yard tugs were destroyed by level bombers coming through in massed waves dropping bombs over a port while attempting to destroy/wreck that port.

Again for the third time. Do you have a save from before and a save from after this incident? If so have you run the save from before to see if the "dice" roll the other way for you and don't let the B-17's to destroy your docked carriers in a port?

< Message edited by YankeeAirRat -- 2/5/2012 8:41:34 AM >

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 88
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:34:08 AM   
LoBaron

You guys still feed Idiot troll? Changing word order not suspicious you make?
Using word "fair" in wargame not also?

Not waste energy reccommend I, but owns to his each...

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 89
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:42:30 AM   
btbw

quote:

I am sorry but your link doesn't work.

Yes, thank you.
So we see 2 hits in port from 54 planes? Ok make it 3 if 40 B-17 make 2 hits.
So what target devastated by hits easy and what target only got 2 hits? Let look:
2 hits - SS and MSW, complete disaster area target Naval Yard, no one hits in biggest and best target AS in port - in Real Life
8 hits in best targets, 2 hits in port - WITP AE
Result of dive bombers seeking ships but not level-bombers.

Visual Difference

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4183/cavitevsaar.png

< Message edited by btbw -- 2/5/2012 8:49:33 AM >

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: B-17 supremacy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI