Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/22/2012 3:10:36 AM   
smokindave34

Losses data....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 31
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/23/2012 3:11:20 PM   
smokindave34

Turn 7 STAVKA report:

Northern and NW fronts: Leningrad is in trouble. In hindsight I was much too complacent up there and I don't have enough troops to hold Zonso off much longer. It appears Zonso has the 16th army and LVI corps ready south of Lake Ilmen to launch an assualt and try and cut me off. I've moved all the reinforcements I had to this area and assigned them to the 11th army to cover the Msta river. I can lose Leningrad, however I can't allow the 4 armies I have up there to get cut off.

My plan going forward here is to have the 33rd Army fall back to the heavy forts around Leningrad and pull the rest of my troops east behind the Volkhov river to prevent them from getting cut off and slow down his right hook.

If he had made a determined assault last turn with all of 4th panzer and 16/18 armies I may have lost Leningrad last turn.....fortunately for me he didn't and my appointment for an NKVD interview has been postponed for another turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/23/2012 3:15:48 PM >

Post #: 32
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/23/2012 3:18:30 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

Fairly quiet here. Western front was aided by Zonso transferring the 14th Motorized division to LVI corps (he really wants the right hook around Lake Ilmen!). My troops in the semi pocket south of Smolensk will be encircled next turn but will hopefully continue to slow 3rd panzers progress. Reserve front continues to dig and we now have a large number of level 2 forts.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 33
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/23/2012 3:21:50 PM   
smokindave34

More Western Front:

10th, 4th, and 3rd armies hold the line for one more turn. The axis 4th army has caught up and next turn it will get ugly in this area. Bryansk front will arrive next turn and take some of the load off of Western and SW fronts. I always struggle in this area as there are very few defensive features to build upon.

I could end up here with a large portion of 10th army being surrounded. It looks as though that is the intent of 2nd panzer army. I thought about falling back but hate to give up the forts I've built here without a fight.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/23/2012 3:24:11 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/23/2012 3:27:02 PM   
smokindave34

SW front:

Next turn I'll see a determined assault to cross the Dnepr. I'm really strong here (in relation to the rest of the army..) and hope to hold off one more turn. To help I've sent some of my best troops from 30th army (Southern front) to support the SW front's 19th army. If he crosses the river he shouldn't be able to exploit there for a few turns.

Starting moving out the Kharkov AP's by rail.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 35
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/23/2012 3:29:18 PM   
smokindave34

Southern Front:

I think I've fallen into a trap of "whoever defends everything defends nothing". I have the whole river covered but could have used those troops in the defense of Leningrad. I sent 4 division from down here up north and all future reinforcements will head north also.

The battle for Odessa continues altough I expect I'll lose it this turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/29/2012 8:30:37 PM   
smokindave34

Turn 8 STAVKA report:

Northern Front: Leningrad is destined to fall....elements of the axis 18th army continue to push headlong to Leningrad. Recon indicates that the LVI panzer corps is fueled up and ready to storm northward around Lake Ilmen. I've placed the 48th and 11th armies of the NW front to block this advance hoping that they can slow von Manstein up enough to allow me to perform a controlled withdrawal from Leningrad. If he cuts off my rail line here I'm in big trouble.......

The goal up here is not to save Leningrad but to prevent any major encirclements and tie up 4th panzer for as long as possible.

One bright spot is that recon showed Zonso is already fighting partisans behind his lines - hopefully I'll get lucky and cut his main rail lines. Hurray for the VVS!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/29/2012 8:48:21 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/29/2012 8:34:34 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

Fairly quiet turn on the approaches to Moscow. The SW front's 24th army falls back and screens Rhzev. I suspect Zonso will be heading in that direction with 3rd Panzers XXXIX corps. Reserve front gets four airbases assigned to it and continues to dig in as it now has the responsibility to defend Moscow.

Recon shows that LVII corps is gassed up and ready to strike next turn. I'm hoping that one Pz corps alone won't be able to do too much damage but he will certainly puncture the Reserve fronts defenses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/29/2012 8:35:07 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/29/2012 8:39:34 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front continued:

Elements of 4th army are encircled by the facists 2nd panzer group. A heroic break out by our cavalry forces has re-supplied this are for one more turn. I'll lose the units pocketed but tie up elements of 2nd panzer and 4th army for another turn.

The Bryansk front arrives to a chaotic situation and immediately takes command of 10th and 32 armies. I've fallen back to some prepared defense to protect the right flank of SW front. I'm going to be on the run in this area now until the mud comes......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/29/2012 8:40:09 PM >

Post #: 39
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/29/2012 8:44:48 PM   
smokindave34

SW front:

The Dnepr has been crossed at two locations. The XXXXVI corps has crossed at Kiev and 2 corps (XIV and XXXXVIII) of 1st panzer group at Cherkassy. I haven't fallen back here yet as I'm hoping that the panzers are low on fuel and can't exploit the crossing for another turn. Also - he has no infantry across to expand the bridgehead yet (and I hate giving up those level 2 forts without a fight!).

The 30th army continues to dig our next defense line along the Psel river. All Kharkov factories are gone now as I expect that is where most of 1st panzer group is headed next.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/29/2012 8:45:11 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/29/2012 8:46:59 PM   
smokindave34

Southern Front:

Still quiet here. The battle for Odessa is lost but we have tied up 3 German divisions and they are at least 2 turns march from the front.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/29/2012 10:56:00 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34
It looks as though that is the intent of 2nd panzer army. I thought about falling back but hate to give up the forts I've built here without a fight.

The classic russian defensive error. We've probably all made it though

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 42
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/30/2012 12:22:37 AM   
smokindave34

It's like turning your back on an old friend - I spent so much time digging those forts I just CANT walk away.....

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 43
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/30/2012 8:31:31 AM   
sillyflower

Then you will learn to the hard way

They are not even cardboard counters you are spurning. Just electronic numbers and they won't mind.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 44
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/30/2012 10:33:44 AM   
smokindave34

Hehe - all right, it makes sense, I'll cut my ties and pull back. I can always build new forts!

Hopefully I won't open up turn 9 to see the vast majority of 5th army surrounded near Kiev. If I do then Sillyflower you can tell me "I told you so"

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/30/2012 10:35:39 AM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 45
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/30/2012 2:53:32 PM   
Seminole

You shouldn't have abandoned Novgorod and the swamp behind it.  Even though you can't stop him from taking them, you must make him take them.  Don't give them to the Nazi.

In the south you need more depth to blunt the panzer advance.  A 20 mile thick line of craptastic units will be rudely shoved aside, leaving wide open terrain for the panzers to frolic.

Use the Oster, Uday, and Sula river lines.  The movement penalties for attacking across rivers alone is reason to form your line there instead of echelon behind the Dnepr.  Also, below Lake Ilmen, I would sacrifice at least one unit to 'hug' the panzer schwerpunkt each turn and increase his movement costs (as well as supply costs). The goal this early isn't to stop him, it's to make him pay as many MP per hex as you can for his advance east.  Time is on your side, if you can use his up.  Swamps, forests, and the far side of rivers are all nature's fortifications, and I see a lot of people leave them abandoned to make straight, pretty lines (you're not guilty of this, I just see it a lot). 

I also prefer to fall back successively on the Ingul, Ingulets, and Bazavluk river lines instead of running headlong to the Dnepr.  You can slow him down longer by making him fight across those rivers (especially considering how crappy the Axis Allies are) than by running back to the Dnepr.  Some cavalry can be your diggers in the rear, while you at least screen his advance.  If he has to divert armored/motorized formations from the Cherkassy bridgehead, then you've won something at least.  As it stands one motorized units can claim all that territory in essentially one week.

Post #: 46
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/30/2012 3:38:36 PM   
vlcz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

....  Even though you can't stop him from taking them, you must make him take them.  Don't give them to the Nazi.

.. The movement penalties for attacking across rivers alone is reason to form your line there...

... I would sacrifice at least one unit to 'hug' the panzer schwerpunkt each turn and increase his movement costs (as well as supply costs).

The goal this early isn't to stop him, it's to make him pay as many MP per hex as you can for his advance east. 

Swamps, forests, and the far side of rivers are all nature's fortifications, and I see a lot of people leave them abandoned to make straight, pretty lines

HUGE loads of thruth here! terrain is the key, not checkerboards.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 47
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/31/2012 1:03:44 AM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

You shouldn't have abandoned Novgorod and the swamp behind it.  Even though you can't stop him from taking them, you must make him take them.  Don't give them to the Nazi.

In the south you need more depth to blunt the panzer advance.  A 20 mile thick line of craptastic units will be rudely shoved aside, leaving wide open terrain for the panzers to frolic.

Use the Oster, Uday, and Sula river lines.  The movement penalties for attacking across rivers alone is reason to form your line there instead of echelon behind the Dnepr.  Also, below Lake Ilmen, I would sacrifice at least one unit to 'hug' the panzer schwerpunkt each turn and increase his movement costs (as well as supply costs). The goal this early isn't to stop him, it's to make him pay as many MP per hex as you can for his advance east.  Time is on your side, if you can use his up.  Swamps, forests, and the far side of rivers are all nature's fortifications, and I see a lot of people leave them abandoned to make straight, pretty lines (you're not guilty of this, I just see it a lot). 

I also prefer to fall back successively on the Ingul, Ingulets, and Bazavluk river lines instead of running headlong to the Dnepr.  You can slow him down longer by making him fight across those rivers (especially considering how crappy the Axis Allies are) than by running back to the Dnepr.  Some cavalry can be your diggers in the rear, while you at least screen his advance.  If he has to divert armored/motorized formations from the Cherkassy bridgehead, then you've won something at least.  As it stands one motorized units can claim all that territory in essentially one week.

Seminole - thank for the advice!

I considered leaving a unit in Novograd as it would be a good defensive position however I was afraid my line would be too thin closer to Leningrad - probably a mistake in hindsight. I had a unit next to his armor south of Lake Ilmen but decided to move it as I figured he would just use his infantry to push it out of the way and it wouldn't effect his panzers MP's at all....

I plan to fall back to the Oster, Uday, and Sula lines next turn. I'm hoping to hug onto those panzers in the Denpr bridgeheads to slow him down another turn. I'm betting he doesn't have a lot of movement points with those units.

I agree that I gave up ground to easily with my Southern front. I have a lot of units down there that I could have used elsewhere (Leningrad). I did a lot of digging there and will probably end up falling back from those forts without a fight once Zonso expands his bridgehead near Cherkassy. My opponent in my other PBEM is defending the Ingul and Ingulets rivers and he's really tying me up there.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/31/2012 1:06:55 AM >

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 48
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/3/2012 1:34:22 PM   
smokindave34

STAVKA turn 9 report:

Northern front - Zonso didn't go for the grand right hook with LVI corps but instead opted for a more shallow hook around Novgorod. I'm going to lose about 6 divisions in this smaller pocket but if that is all I'll lose I'm good with it.

I decided to pull back the 33rd army to defend Leningrad itself and move the Northern fronts 23 army and my NW front armies to the east of the Volkhov river. I'm essentially giving up on Leningrad (not without a fight of course) but I can't risk a major encirclement here. I plan on transferring out units of the 33rd army from the port just east of Leningrad (Osinovets) so I don't lose these units entirely.

I may have pulled the trigger on my plans to fall back to the Volkhov too quickly but in the long run Leningrad was going to fall and I wan to keep the Red armies numbers up.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/3/2012 1:37:59 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

See next post - internet crashed while trying to post the screenshot

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/3/2012 1:39:56 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/3/2012 1:39:55 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

Fairly quiet here. 3rd Panzer keeps pushing east while the Reserve and Western front armies continue to dig. Moscow is in no immediate threat right now but my next set of reinforcements need to start digging a new defensive line west of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 51
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/3/2012 1:44:51 PM   
smokindave34

Bryansk front:

2nd Panzer group breaks out and drives southeast. No major encirclements here but the Bryansk front is left shattered. Most of my defensive CV's here are 1. I fell back behind the Desna and Sudost rivers to try and buy time. I'm not sure where 2nd panzer will go next.....I typically head for Tula to try and threaten Moscow from the south but Zonso may just be trying to encirlce more of my units as he told me in his last email that he is concerned he hasn't destroyed enough of the Red army yet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 52
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/3/2012 1:47:51 PM   
smokindave34

SW front:

No major encirclements here as the 5th, 21st, and 19th armies were able to fall back out of the clutches of 4th panzer group. He is across in force now with all of 4th panzer and a lot of 6th army so only his distance from railheads will slow him down now. He also crossed the river with the 17th army further south so the Southern front will finally see some action.

I have all the factories out of Kharkov so at this time there is no immediate threat to any of my major industrial centers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 53
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/6/2012 12:58:58 AM   
smokindave34

STAVKA turn 10 report:

Northern front - 33rd army continues to defend Leningrad and pulls back to level 3 forts just outside the city. I'm hoping Zonso needs to divert more forces from AGN to support the final assault on the city. The 23rd army and NW front's 11th and 48th army are behind the Volkhov river keeping the ports open and supplies flowing to Leningrad.

I'm hoping Zonso keeps 4th panzer army pushing north to try and take the port of Sviritsa. Recon will keep close tabs on 4th panzer. If they show up missing I'll expect to see them supporting the assault on Moscow....

South of Novgorod my isolated rifle divisions charge headlong towards the axis rail lines near Pskov.

I considered using some AP's to move units around to try and get ahead of the 21 cap my armies will have now that I upgraded to the new patch. I decided against it as I need my AP's to get my best leaders in key areas. I'll have to make the changes when the cap hits in September.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/6/2012 1:33:28 AM >

Post #: 54
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/6/2012 1:04:41 AM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

Still fairly quiet here. 3rd panzer keeps pushing east at a fairly slow pace. I shifted some units east to start building forts on the approaches to Moscow. The 4th army has the bulk of the troops here with newly arrived units still on trains in the heart of Moscow. Next turn I get 24 new rifle division and a good portion of them will be put to work digging trenches in front of Moscow (will civilian support of course!).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/6/2012 1:08:02 AM   
smokindave34

Bryansk front:

2nd panzer group has portions of 10th army in a trap they won't get out of. The rest of 10th army holds the line on the river Desna. I put 3rd and 34th armies in charge of holding 2nd panzer from pushing south. I typically don't stack units 3 deep but I don't have time to dig and this will help.

I continue with my leader changes and put Vasilevsky in charge of 3rd army.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 56
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/6/2012 1:13:21 AM   
smokindave34

SW front:

I've been pretty successful so far in preventing large encirclements but made a mistake here. A large portion of 12th army is surrounded and I should have seen it coming. Zonso' panzers/motorized units are fairly weak but I just didn't have the units/MP's to break out 12th army. A bitter defeat!

I pulled back the 51st army to guard the "slot" between the Psel and Seym rivers. The 12th and 19th armies are on the Psel in pretty good defensive positions. I still think I'm pretty strong in the south and as long as I don't have any major mistakes should be able to fight a controlled retreat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/6/2012 1:15:00 AM >

Post #: 57
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/6/2012 1:15:34 AM   
smokindave34

Southern front:

Quiet here as the Rumanians approach at a snails pace. I start digging forts on the approaches to the Crimea.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/6/2012 1:16:48 AM >

Post #: 58
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/6/2012 1:16:57 AM   
smokindave34

Losses data through turn 10:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/6/2012 1:18:43 AM >

Post #: 59
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 2/6/2012 1:17:34 AM   
smokindave34

Red army and Wermacht strength's through turn 10:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI