Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: B-17 supremacy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: B-17 supremacy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:48:48 AM   
YankeeAirRat

Dude,

Your not reading the combat report the right way. The bombers were on a port attack. Your ships were docked in port. Ergo, they were valid targets to be attacked by the bombers in accordance with the port attack routine. All ships docked in port are attacked at some level by aircraft attacking that port. It wasn't like your ships were in a task force in the same location. Rather the game treats ships disbanded in port as being tied up to the pier and basically being extensions of the port. I can tell this since the combat report you posted way back in page 1 states that you also lost 5 men and some supplies in the attack as well. The lost of men only happens when they attack a port and not a task force. So that means to me, that a massive wave of bombers came across the port and just unloaded on the port. It just happened to be that the way they flew a couple vics of bombers over flew your ships in the abstracted yards in the port and were heavily damaged as bombs all fell around them.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 91
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:51:50 AM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

Dude,

Your not reading the combat report the right way. The bombers were on a port attack. Your ships were docked in port. Ergo, they were valid targets to be attacked by the bombers in accordance with the port attack routine. All ships docked in port are attacked at some level by aircraft attacking that port. It wasn't like your ships were in a task force in the same location. Rather the game treats ships disbanded in port as being tied up to the pier and basically being extensions of the port. I can tell this since the combat report you posted way back in page 1 states that you also lost 5 men and some supplies in the attack as well. The lost of men only happens when they attack a port and not a task force. So that means to me, that a massive wave of bombers came across the port and just unloaded on the port. It just happened to be that the way they flew a couple vics of bombers over flew your ships in the abstracted yards in the port and were heavily damaged as bombs all fell around them.

Dude, you dont understand. LB attacked not port but ships. And they attacked not ALL ships docked by like in nice carrier battle biggest and best targets. It what make port attacks unadequate.

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 92
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 10:21:35 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: btbw

Dude, you dont understand. LB attacked not port but ships. And they attacked not ALL ships docked by like in nice carrier battle biggest and best targets. It what make port attacks unadequate.

The B-17s were definately flying port attack, they scored hits on the port and it says 'Port Attack' in the breakdown of attacking aircraft.

But basically what you seem to be saying, is that playing as Japan, you would prefer your first turn attack on Pearl Harbor left the 'biggest and best' ships alone and instead attacked the far less important targets such as PT Boats and Destroyers? Or would that simply mean the start of another thread by you, explaining how port attacks are borked? You do realise you cannot have it both ways? They are both port attacks, after all.

Finally, ask yourself this question, if you were in command of those B-17s, would you attack the port itself, or the half-dozen capital ships that were either anchored or docked in Noumea Harbour? Which do you think would be the more important target?

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 2/5/2012 10:23:12 AM >

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 93
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 11:17:29 AM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

The B-17s were definately flying port attack, they scored hits on the port and it says 'Port Attack' in the breakdown of attacking aircraft.

But basically what you seem to be saying, is that playing as Japan, you would prefer your first turn attack on Pearl Harbor left the 'biggest and best' ships alone and instead attacked the far less important targets such as PT Boats and Destroyers? Or would that simply mean the start of another thread by you, explaining how port attacks are borked? You do realise you cannot have it both ways? They are both port attacks, after all.

Finally, ask yourself this question, if you were in command of those B-17s, would you attack the port itself, or the half-dozen capital ships that were either anchored or docked in Noumea Harbour? Which do you think would be the more important target?

Level bombers above PH? Something new each day!

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 94
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 12:34:03 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

Actually there were 54 "level bombers" above PH on 12/07/41! Who do you think were dropping those modified 16" shells?

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 95
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 12:34:48 PM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

Ever heard of the B5N Kate?

From "US Navy Report of Japanese Raid on Pearl Harbor", 15 Feb 1942, Cincpac File No. A16-3/Serial 0479:
"The so-called "lull" in the air raid was terminated by the appearance over the Fleet of considerable numbers of high-altitude horizontal bombers, crossing and recrossing their targets from various points of the compass. Enclosure (B) is a photograph of one group of horizontal bombers flying at 12,000 feet and taken shortly before attacking. Damage from this attack was serious. Some of the bombs dropped were converted fifteen or sixteen inch shells; they penetrated with about 20-inch holes, low order detonation, and very little flame..... An estimated total of 30 horizontal bombers, including nine planes which engaged in earlier attacks, participated in Phase III. The heavy ships bore the brunt of these attacks."

So again, if the port attack routine was modified according to your wishes you outlined above, with planes less likely to attack the 'biggest and best' ships in port and instead concentrate on presumably less important ships, or the port itself, it would most likely effect both sides and all port attacks, not just Allied B-17 raids on Japanese ports. Do you really want to cripple your own forces in this fashion? Or just your opponent?

While again, you are complaining that the bombers attacked the biggest and best targets, but ask yourself what would you do in their shoes or expect your own forces to do? Ignore the enemy carriers and battleships to drop a few bombs into the port facilities? Or try to do as much damage as possible to the enemy force?

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 2/5/2012 12:43:24 PM >

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 96
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 12:49:10 PM   
btbw

Attack bombers have much more abilities for attack spotted targets and they can change formation or even go alone on target. Try on B-17 maintain speed, course and climb/incline so easy as on Kate.

< Message edited by btbw -- 2/5/2012 12:51:30 PM >

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 97
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 1:36:46 PM   
EUBanana

Inconceivable!

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 98
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 1:40:58 PM   
Puhis

In this game level bomber is a level bomber regardless of plane size or number of engines. You do have a valid point, game should handle different type of bombers better. Tactical bombers are pretty much useless in historical close support role, because they are just bombers with small bombload. Heavy bombers are overpowered because they have biggest bombload without most of the real life drawbacks.

But it's not a bug, it's limitation of the game engine. They are not going to change the game engine.

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 99
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 1:51:05 PM   
btbw

This problem can be easy solve with Maneur characteristic of plane for example.
Ability for hit ships during port attack can vary from Maneur + mods like DL, crew exp, defense etc.
Just need tweak it and we never seen again how LB dive separately on all flattops in port.
All heavy bombers have M<=10.
Also class of airplane can affect on ability for attack ships.
Have good maneur and attack/dive/TB then LEVEL BOMBING in port attack can try as much as possible ships parked here.
You huge and slowpoke HB? Drop your bomb and pray it hurt someone. Maybe one of best targets will be hitted but dont all of them definitely.

< Message edited by btbw -- 2/5/2012 1:53:15 PM >

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 100
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 2:30:04 PM   
mike scholl 1

btbw This whole thread resulted from you doing something incredibly foolish (docking your carriers at Numea) and having your opponant (I'm guessing the AI) make you pay for it. The B-17's involved got about 6% hits on stationary targets from 13,000 feet. Hardly an unlikely result. You need to stop whining, suck it up, and move on. It's a war..., "stuff" happens!

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 101
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 2:34:26 PM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

btbw This whole thread resulted from you doing something incredibly foolish (docking your carriers at Numea) and having your opponant (I'm guessing the AI) make you pay for it. The B-17's involved got about 6% hits on stationary targets from 13,000 feet. Hardly an unlikely result. You need to stop whining, suck it up, and move on. It's a war..., "stuff" happens!

Thank you for your brilliant post here! But i spit on carriers or not. I got same result with BB, CA, CL. Any top ships in port attacked with same manner - heavy bombers attack separate targets and only top ships with high accuracy. Absolutely ahistorical and non-real.
Another AFB detected...

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 102
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 2:35:28 PM   
Sardaukar

What Mike just said...and I am only going to comment this from now on:

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 103
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 2:38:27 PM   
denisonh

Spot on. Being an stupid is not a crime, but sharing it with the world is somewhat shameful.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

What Mike just said...and I am only going to comment this from now on:

< Message edited by denisonh -- 2/5/2012 2:40:08 PM >

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 104
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 3:55:24 PM   
pompack

The comments in this thread are so funny that I am tempted to remove the green button on the OP. But not enough to do it

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 105
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 5:35:46 PM   
Misconduct

Going to leave this here for the troll.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 106
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 5:49:17 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

The comments in this thread are so funny that I am tempted to remove the green button on the OP. But not enough to do it

+1

It is fun reading just the other comments though! I can create my own version of the OP's. Mine are MUCH better!

"Whine Whine Whine. Whine Whine Whine. See how they run. See how they run."

<you can add the tune here ...>

My 2yo favorite song right now.

Pax

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 107
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 5:53:32 PM   
wildweasel0585

you've hit the nail on the head Pompack.

< Message edited by wildweasel0585 -- 2/5/2012 5:54:44 PM >

THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!!!!

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 108
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 6:44:30 PM   
jeffk3510

Its better to be an idiot and remain silent, than open your mouth and prove it.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to wildweasel0585)
Post #: 109
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 6:48:50 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

2 hits - SS and MSW, complete disaster area target Naval Yard, no one hits in biggest and best target AS in port - in Real Life
8 hits in best targets, 2 hits in port - WITP AE

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 110
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 6:50:11 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

Spot on. Being an stupid is not a crime, but sharing it with the world is somewhat shameful.

Denisonh, I think I may need to steal that line and add it to my signature!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 111
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 7:22:44 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Its better to be an idiot and remain silent, than open your mouth and prove it.

priceless!....and that's all I'm gonna say

Hans

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 112
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 7:43:42 PM   
YankeeAirRat

Just because I am a glutton for punishment.

This is what a port/airbase look like from 10k+ in altitude and if you can imagine a stream of bombers going after the airfield and the port at the same time not all the bombs are going to land
So here is Boston Harbor and Logan International from about 18k AGL

and here is Halifax, Nova Scotia from a satelite view

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 113
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/5/2012 8:31:24 PM   
Jaroen

@btbw

How do you read such combat reports?
You do understand your opponent is using the so-called 'port attack', right?
The game routine for handling such an event is probably very much like YankeeAirRat describes. Do you agree?
Even though your combat report shows 'individual waves' it still is one full port attack. And apparently that routine favours targetting major combat ships over merchant shipping. Which is probably the same targetting routine running that first strike on Pearl Harbor! Do you think that routine differentiates between plane types attacking? I do not.

From your arguments it appears like you don't agree with this target acquisition and its effectiveness.
What sources do you have available on saying that 4e bombers couldn't hit small/medium targets?

Because from your answers it seems you only think of those mass bombing raids over Europe where it was established by the allies that hitting one specific factory was almost impossible. Which of course was true, generally speaking. You also know high quality crews actually could do just that! Not only the famous dam busters (617 suadron) but all those path finder squadrons as well. All these crews were capable of hitting individual targets very accurately (lets say 25% hit rate, near misses do count as Tirpitz attacks show!). And these crews really were not rare. So your 'general' view that 4e bombers were only 'area' hitting is false!

So the question now would be if those allied crews in the South-West Pacific were capable of similar performance. Or actually, if they were capable of being about half as good as those expert crews over Europe. All they had to be capable of was hitting one specific port. Not exactly a small target. Everything in small/medium port would be toast when 10+ bombers actually hit their target (= 40+ bombs). In that sense you were lucky with the presented results. Your merchant shipping somehow escaped their fate. They should have been hit just as well!? Well, from history we know allied bombing of ports in the South-West Pacific theatre really was that accurate. Because of it the Japanese turned to the usage of small, easy replaced barges to continue some semblance of sea (actually coastal) traffic. Rabaul was 'relatively' safe because it was immensily protected with forts, AAA, warning systems and air defense. Other ports were untenable (Lae, Finschaven, Buna and others on New Guinea and the Solomon Islands).

You might however question the launch of one full bomber group (or something close) to get to Noumea. In real life it was nearly impossible to operate those bombers in large groups until 1944. But that's how the game runs. Both sides profit in the same way.

Now it is clear you're not easily convinced. So check:
http://www.kensmen.com/index.html - an excellent source on the most prominent bomber group in the SW Pacific.
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/ - for performance and effectiveness of allied bombing in the SW Pacific.
There's more on individual 4e bombers attacking individual targets in the Pacific. I added a few links on a thread about skip bombing:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2952059&mpage=2&key=skip%2Cbombing (post nr. 50)

Enjoy the game and all its quirks.

(in reply to btbw)
Post #: 114
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/6/2012 5:11:32 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

In this game level bomber is a level bomber regardless of plane size or number of engines. You do have a valid point, game should handle different type of bombers better. Tactical bombers are pretty much useless in historical close support role, because they are just bombers with small bombload. Heavy bombers are overpowered because they have biggest bombload without most of the real life drawbacks.

But it's not a bug, it's limitation of the game engine. They are not going to change the game engine.

For what is is worth, I agree with Puhis that btbw may have a valid point about how 4Es are modelled vs smaller level bombers....

However, it is a percieved limitation of the game engine that I can very much live with. The game does generally an excellent job of rewarding good tactics, operational art, logistical planning and strategy across an entire theatre. Do not have high value ships in port within range of a major enemy airbase seems like a valid lesson of which the game should remind us.

mike

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 115
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/6/2012 5:49:41 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Can you reveal how B-17 can have same bomb accuracy like Helldiver?

It was the nature of B-17s that from 15K feet they could hit almost any stationary target the size of a ship with at least one bomb. It happened on many occasions with US and UK level bomber attacks during the real war. IMO, if there is an "inaccuracy" in your result it's probably that you took LESS damage than the IJN would have in the real war had they done anything that profoundly suicidal with their CVs.

The error was in porting them within range of enemy bombers. Your result was not a "game flaw" it was a "player flaw."

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 116
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/6/2012 6:52:44 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Going to leave this here for the troll.

Priceless!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 117
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/7/2012 3:11:01 PM   
VMF 214

if I may add my $.02.....I think what the OP is saying is that there was 11 separate attacks with 1-6 planes in each attack. I believe he thinks it should be like in Europe 1 attack with all planes in the attack....in effect carpet bombing not wave after wave of small groups. Now I am no expert at this game and leave that to you fine people but is that how the game uses a mass amount of level bombers? Did they in fact in the Pacific use smaller plane runs rather then the big formations like in the European theater?

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 118
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/7/2012 3:16:57 PM   
Erkki

quote:

ORIGINAL: VMF 214

if I may add my $.02.....I think what the OP is saying is that there was 11 separate attacks with 1-6 planes in each attack. I believe he thinks it should be like in Europe 1 attack with all planes in the attack....in effect carpet bombing not wave after wave of small groups. Now I am no expert at this game and leave that to you fine people but is that how the game uses a mass amount of level bombers? Did they in fact in the Pacific use smaller plane runs rather then the big formations like in the European theater?

Dunno but in the air combat phase the "box bonus" for defensive fire works as if they were in one giant formation. This makes 4Es relatively even nastier to intercept and counter with CAP as typically the only bombers that even hit fighters are those same 4Es and some US mediums. For Japanese bombers it doesnt matter how many planes the formation has - they'll always suffer, and hard.

This is actually part of the the strike size & coordination stuff discussed elsewhere...

(in reply to VMF 214)
Post #: 119
RE: B-17 supremacy - 2/7/2012 3:25:33 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: VMF 214

I suspect the game engine splits the bomber stream up into flights, because AFAIK thats how it handles air combat in general. So indeed, on the combat report you see a bunch of flights, not 50 heavies all pattern bombing. I'm not sure about land targets (and a port with boats in it is a land target), but this is certainly how it works with ships. The size of the flight varies depending on altitude and plane type. AFAIK the main issue is only one of target acquisition, however, each flight picks a target. This is very clear when ships are being attacked in naval air combat, less clear in air to ground but I figure its probably not hugely dissimilar.

Also AFAIK every bomb dropped essentially has a % chance to hit something. If they really were pattern bombing you'd presumably see fairly binary results - either the box misses and you get no hits at all, or the box is on target and the poor victim is pulverised. You don't get that, you get an evenly spread average, so you tend to score somewhere near the historic average every time. So no very spikey results. I'm not sure this really makes any difference in the long run though. Imagine if a box landed right on target and a CV took multiple sticks, people would go nuts. No winning here I think.

However, I think it's kinda moot. In Europe the RAF and Luftwaffe at least certainly did not all "drop when the leader drops" when aiming at tactical targets anyway. A CV in port is not Schweinfurt.

(in reply to VMF 214)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: B-17 supremacy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI