Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forumites MIA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Forumites MIA Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forumites MIA - 2/21/2012 8:31:56 PM   
Canoerebel

Just thinkin' today that I haven't seen Nemo, GraffinZeppelin, TopofEverest, GreyJoy or rader posting in a few weeks. This is conduct unbecoming to the Forum. Come back, lady and gents!

Edited to correct spelling of "Forumites."

Edited to Add: Speaking of which, even PoultryLad (Chickenboy) has been scarce the past few days (I think).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/21/2012 8:37:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/21/2012 9:23:17 PM   
USSAmerica

I know CB happens to be on a trip. Weak excuse, but we'll have to let it pass.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/21/2012 9:25:51 PM   
Terminus

Hurhur, you said "trip"...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/21/2012 9:29:50 PM   
Canoerebel

Well, Chickenboy is always goin' somewhere - Philippines, Indonesia, Atlanta, and other places known for their wild insect life.  I'm glad to hear his absence is prompted by his participation in the work-a-day world.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 3:05:15 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Well, Chickenboy is always goin' somewhere - Philippines, Indonesia, Atlanta, and other places known for their wild insect life.  I'm glad to hear his absence is prompted by his participation in the work-a-day world.

He is a Tropical Disease Fanboy after all. So he went to visit Phoenix...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 3:08:13 AM   
jmalter

i'm missin' the Grafin a bit, she's got a great sense of humor. a-and where's the latest GJ AAR update?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 3:13:43 AM   
Treetop64

Grollub's been missing, too...

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 7
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 3:26:39 AM   
USSAmerica

Grollub poked his head in yesterday to say hi. He's just been very busy with his work as well.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 8
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 3:29:42 AM   
GaryChildress

Speaking of MIA, I wonder who else is missing. Haven't seen Gen. Hoepner (sp) in ages. And whatever happened to Tankerace? He created War Plan Orange and never set foot back in the WitP forum again I don't think. Nomad has apparently given up WitP as well. Sad to think of all the forum regulars who have disappeared over time.

EDIT: Oh, and Mogami too. Not sure whatever happened to him. He reinlisted some time back. Hope he's OK.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 2/22/2012 3:31:39 AM >

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 9
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 4:17:46 AM   
PaxMondo

I beleive that GJ and rader are taking a bit of a break discussin HR's to allow their AAR to proceed.

Pax

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 10
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 4:38:07 AM   
jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
I beleive that GJ and rader are taking a bit of a break discussin HR's to allow their AAR to proceed.

wot, again? it's enough to put me off HRs forever/for always. jmo, but GJ agreed to too many HRs initially.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 4:48:37 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
<snip> ...

And whatever happened to Tankerace? He created War Plan Orange and never set foot back in the WitP forum again I don't think.

... <snip>

Last I heard from Tanker .. he had got accepted to Grad School and marriage ... so I guess those two activities are keeping him occupied!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 12
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 5:02:49 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

<snip> ...

And whatever happened to Tankerace? He created War Plan Orange and never set foot back in the WitP forum again I don't think.

... <snip>

Last I heard from Tanker .. he had got accepted to Grad School and marriage ... so I guess those two activities are keeping him occupied!

Having done both, they are both highly overrated!

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 13
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 5:33:06 AM   
John 3rd

Concur with Vettim!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 14
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 11:06:29 AM   
GreyJoy

Hello

I'm alive...me and Rader just took a break...we badly needed it

We'll be back very soon

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 15
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 11:46:38 AM   
pws1225

+2

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 16
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/22/2012 1:58:58 PM   
Omat

Hello

A good sign is that Mogami is still alive. He loged after a very long time on 1/17/2012 but did not posted something.

I think some miss his humor.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showprofile.asp?memid=944

I wonder what happens with Mike Wood.

Omat

< Message edited by Omat -- 2/22/2012 2:02:01 PM >

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 17
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 12:37:46 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Taking a break from the game at the moment but no worries/hopes I wont leave this place :)

(in reply to Omat)
Post #: 18
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 1:12:42 PM   
Omat

Hello

Nice to see you again and your cuddly avatar.

Omat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Taking a break from the game at the moment but no worries/hopes I wont leave this place :)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 19
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 3:40:10 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

<snip> ...

... <snip>

Having done both, they are both highly overrated!

Well, one of them anyways......

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 20
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 3:59:13 PM   
vettim89

On this subject, did anyone ever touch base with Nomad?

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 21
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 4:01:03 PM   
Shark7

So...just about the time I come back, a bunch of others leave...

Hmmm...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 22
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 4:10:26 PM   
Schanilec

Bullwinkle must be off in the forest looking for Rocket J. Squirrell.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 23
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 4:10:28 PM   
Canoerebel

Actually, I didn't think that any of those named in the original post had "left" (with the possible exception of Top of Everest, who I haven't seen in weeks or months). 

From what I've seen the AE forum is alive and well.  There seems to have been a remarkable influx of newcomers in the past few months.  These are the guys (and gals?) that will morph into regulars.  Here's hoping we'll be finding the next GreyJoys already in our midst!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 24
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 4:11:29 PM   
Canoerebel

Bullwinkle is around.  He's posted infrequently of late, but he's here quite often.  I just wish the poor ol' Yankee would bite on a PBEM.  I think Bullwinkle vs. Chickboy would be fun to watch.  :)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 25
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 5:23:45 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Bullwinkle is around.  He's posted infrequently of late, but he's here quite often.  I just wish the poor ol' Yankee would bite on a PBEM.  I think Bullwinkle vs. Chickboy would be fun to watch.  :)

I'm leaking in a bit (time for Depends?) Been trying an AI game as Japanese. I really don't like them at all, but the economy stuff is interesting. Have crashed the economy twice now and am about to start a third time. I don't know how JFBs do it if they don't use Tracker. Even with it, and even in Scen 2, the Empire is in really lousy shape on Dec. 7. I was surprised at how flaccid the industrial base is.

And, as I mentioned in PM to you, I can't get used to the Dr. Seuss designs of their aircraft. Lumpy and bumpy, oh my.

If I can last six months I'll learn something and I can gratefully turn to BabesLite Allied game. The Japanese are like drinking bad cough medicine, but I know it's good for me in the long run.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 26
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 5:28:00 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I'm leaking in a bit (time for Depends?) Been trying an AI game as Japanese. I really don't like them at all, but the economy stuff is interesting. Have crashed the economy twice now and am about to start a third time. I don't know how JFBs do it if they don't use Tracker. Even with it, and even in Scen 2, the Empire is in really lousy shape on Dec. 7. I was surprised at how flaccid the industrial base is.

And, as I mentioned in PM to you, I can't get used to the Dr. Seuss designs of their aircraft. Lumpy and bumpy, oh my.

If I can last six months I'll learn something and I can gratefully turn to BabesLite Allied game. The Japanese are like drinking bad cough medicine, but I know it's good for me in the long run.

Very, very carefully.

You learn to make a small change, then wait to see how it works out. The main advice I can give you is: NEVER, EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REPAIR/EXPAND LIGHT INDUSTRY.

I have a feeling you probably already knew that, but some newer players may not.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 27
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/23/2012 5:48:20 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Very, very carefully.

You learn to make a small change, then wait to see how it works out. The main advice I can give you is: NEVER, EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REPAIR/EXPAND LIGHT INDUSTRY.

I have a feeling you probably already knew that, but some newer players may not.

I tried Easy R&D, but I think that's too dangerous for my happy mouse finger, which seems to have a mind of its own when it sees that yellow "Expand" hotpoint. I tried to focus down onto a couple of key plane paths, and over-expanded R&D too much. Also accelerated a lot of the navy, then dragged that all back four days later when the points were negative. Turning off merchants like all the guides recco just rubs me, a USN sub guy, the wrong way, but merchant points went negaitve too.

Have had other problems. I meddled with the midget sub carriers on the first turn and they never launched. The manual doesn't help much on tactical deployment of midgets, so I looked up some old posts here and think I have it now. I relied on the pre-programmed Wake TFs to get the job done, and Wake has turned into a slaughter. The USMC CD is deadly and has sunk over 15 merchants already as I've fed them into the killing ground. I leaned out too far getting tankers to Borneo as soon as I had Miri and before I had neutered the RN. Bye-bye tankers. And the AI is using the USN CVs in ways I would never think to do and sending them to places I would never send, and so, bye-bye CL and two DDs.

Overall the Japanese LCUs are fragmented and all over the place, and extremely restricted to my Allied eyes. I'm still trying to figure out how to get enough mass together to take Singers.

On the good side, the field of play is tiny for the early-war Japanese. Outside of economy fiddling the work load is only a fraction of the Allied given there are no off-map endeavors, and there is almost no time-consuming map scrolling, no multiple nation device pools and unlike aircraft pools either, and the distances and thus time to get something done is tiny compared to thinking about WC to Oz. I do feel the press of time though. It's odd to have to be at 100% on the first turn and not let up. I'm used to having a year to think about how I want the end game to go.

Having played the Allies makes me understand where the holes in the Japanese OOB are. I'm hoping playing the other side will show me where the Allies are exposed as well. I already know I'm going to strat bomb the heck out of China since the AI never does. I want to see what it does to Chinese defenses. Also, part of the economy crashing was my efort to get the Nates out of China and get some Oscars in there too quickly. I still think getting the Nates onto training duty is a key goal, but it can't be done as fast I was pressing to do it.

Lots to learn.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 2/23/2012 5:49:13 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 28
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/25/2012 9:00:03 AM   
Knavey

Treespider is another that I used to see regularly that hasn't logged on in about 6 months. Anyone know what happened to him?

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 29
RE: Forumites MIA - 2/25/2012 10:26:55 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

On this subject, did anyone ever touch base with Nomad?

Don't know. The original thread on this never got it answered either ... been gone a long time now ...

Pax

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Forumites MIA Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI