Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 4:54:00 PM   
warspite1

No.3
1. I am a land unit that fought in World War II and I have my own counter - I am larger than a divisional unit
2. I am available at the start of the Global Campaign. I was not given the designation on my counter right at the start of the war, this happened during 1940.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2761
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 4:56:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

We've had "Name that plane" so how about "Name this boat"

Warspite1

I can't quite read her name on the side, my eyesight is not that good, but I will go for "Penelope".

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2762
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 5:08:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

I can't quite read her name on the side, my eyesight is not that good, but I will go for "Penelope".
Warspite1

I will go for Landing Craft Assault (LCA) - but not confident.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2763
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 5:28:52 PM   
Beryl

quote:

No.3
1. I am a land unit that fought in World War II and I have my own counter - I am larger than a divisional unit
2. I am available at the start of the Global Campaign. I was not given the designation on my counter right at the start of the war, this happened during 1940.

WDF ? not available at set-up, but available in the force pool. I think the Western Desert Force designation was used only from 40.

"Nicht kleckern, klotzen!" - Guderian

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2764
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 5:39:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beryl

quote:

No.3

WDF ? not available at set-up, but available in the force pool. I think the Western Desert Force designation was used only from 40.
Warspite1

Good shot!

The Western Desert Force is the correct answer. The name change took place in June 1940 I think - after Italy's declaration of war. It was units of the WDF (Wavell's 30,000) that destroyed the Italian 10th Army in Operation Compass .

BTW: the three others are not Commonwealth counters!

(in reply to Beryl)
Post #: 2765
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 6:05:10 PM   
Beryl

quote:

No.4
2. I am available at the start of the Global Campaign, as I was in real life - although if WIF was not a high level strategic game, I would probably disappear after about 2.5 years of war. Instead, I am available throughout the game.

I would guess it is a HQ unit, whom commander was dead, captured or forced to resign from military operation before mid 42. Difficult to say, as all sides had general assignated to very secondary command (Gort, Timoshenko), political or symbolic charge (Graziani, Wavell) around 42...
Edit : Not a commonwealth counter, let's say Timoshenko then

< Message edited by Beryl -- 3/3/2012 6:07:23 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2766
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 6:43:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

No.4
2. I am available at the start of the Global Campaign, as I was in real life - although if WIF was not a high level strategic game, I would probably disappear after about 2.5 years of war. Instead, I am available throughout the game.

I would guess it is a HQ unit, whom commander was dead, captured or forced to resign from military operation before mid 42. Difficult to say, as all sides had general assignated to very secondary command (Gort, Timoshenko), political or symbolic charge (Graziani, Wavell) around 42...
Edit : Not a commonwealth counter, let's say Timoshenko then
Warspite1

Timoshenko is the wrong answer.

(in reply to Beryl)
Post #: 2767
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 10:59:54 PM   
warspite1

No.4
3. Beryl was on the right track. I was not killed or injured in 1942, but I did exit the war during that year.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2768
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 11:05:24 PM   
warspite1

No.2
2. I am not available at the start of the Global Campaign, but am ready about half way through. I am available in WIF a little earlier than was the case in reality.
3. I am a corps that usually consisted of three divisions - two of these divisions are very well known to WWII buffs - the third, perhaps less so.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2769
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/3/2012 11:11:01 PM   
warspite1

No.1
1. I am a land unit that fought in World War II and I have my own counter - I am smaller than a Corps/Army unit
2. I am not represented in WIF in the way I existed in WWII (it can't really be so). However my inclusion in the game is right and ADG have done a good job.
3. In the real war I was used with a good deal of success early on, but my usefulness was less obvious as the war progressed....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2770
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 4:00:38 PM   
Beryl

quote:

No.2
2. I am not available at the start of the Global Campaign, but am ready about half way through. I am available in WIF a little earlier than was the case in reality.
3. I am a corps that usually consisted of three divisions - two of these divisions are very well known to WWII buffs - the third, perhaps less so.

Must be the 101° + 82° US Abn. As the XL and XXXIV PARA are available in WIF early on, the answer should be the XVIII° US Airborne Corp, available in WIF in 42.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2771
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 4:29:08 PM   
Beryl

quote:

No.1
1. I am a land unit that fought in World War II and I have my own counter - I am smaller than a Corps/Army unit
2. I am not represented in WIF in the way I existed in WWII (it can't really be so). However my inclusion in the game is right and ADG have done a good job.
3. In the real war I was used with a good deal of success early on, but my usefulness was less obvious as the war progressed....

I guess it is an Art, AA or AT div. The 88 must be the most famous flak gun and was very successful early on, when used as anti-tank weapon by the Wehrmacht. I think its later failure is illustrated in the film 'The Bridge at Remagen'.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2772
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 5:47:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

No.2

Must be the 101° + 82° US Abn. As the XL and XXXIV PARA are available in WIF early on, the answer should be the XVIII° US Airborne Corp, available in WIF in 42.
Warspite1

Well done again Beryl - exactly right.

(in reply to Beryl)
Post #: 2773
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 5:48:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

No.1

I guess it is an Art, AA or AT div. The 88 must be the most famous flak gun and was very successful early on, when used as anti-tank weapon by the Wehrmacht. I think its later failure is illustrated in the film 'The Bridge at Remagen'.
Warspite1

Is incorrect - and for the first time you are barking up the wrong tree.

(in reply to Beryl)
Post #: 2774
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 6:28:18 PM   
warspite1

No.4
3. Beryl was on the right track. I was not killed or injured in 1942, but I did exit the war during that year.
4. I am a German unit

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2775
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 6:34:03 PM   
warspite1

No.1
4. I am represented in WIF by 3 units - and a further two possibles (though these latter two have a different name ).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2776
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 7:07:37 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

It is similar Landing Craft Assault (LCA) but the difference is in the details.

The Landing Craft Assault (LCA) was controlled from behind the shield the starboard side.

Here is a good view from a paper model of a LCA

This landing craft has two .30-caliber machine guns and was controlled from behind the port machine gun position.

Just a FYI: The writing on the landing craft is PA1814.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2777
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 8:40:23 PM   
Centuur

quote:

No.4
4. I am a German unit

Ritter von Leeb.

Peter

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2778
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/4/2012 9:00:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

No.4
4. I am a German unit

Ritter von Leeb.
Warspite1

Is the correct answer . Ritter Von Leeb actually asked to be relieved by Hitler as he was fed up with the constant interference from above. His request was met and he was never re-employed.

Well that leaves one to go. I thought it would be one of the easiest but turns out to be the most difficult. I can't think of another clue at the moment without giving it away.....

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2779
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 1:26:31 AM   
brian brian

quote:

quote:

No.1

what does the film illustrate?

I have always found it interesting that in American combat memoirs, just about every explosion near the writer is blamed on "88s"

(in reply to Beryl)
Post #: 2780
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 4:47:17 AM   
warspite1

No.1
4. I am represented in WIF by 3 units - and a further two possibles (though these latter two have a different name ). Sorry - I should clarify that three of these counters are at corps/army level. The two that are the subject of this question are divisional units and I am looking for the "1st" of these.
5. Think Pacific War.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2781
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 7:31:59 AM   
JeffroK

I was going to say the 1st to 5th Divisions, USMC, but am not sure (might lessen the field a bit)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2782
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 8:03:15 AM   
Orm

quote:

No.1
4. I am represented in WIF by 3 units - and a further two possibles (though these latter two have a different name ). Sorry - I should clarify that three of these counters are at corps/army level. The two that are the subject of this question are divisional units and I am looking for the "1st" of these.
5. Think Pacific War.

1st SNLF division?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2783
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 5:43:43 PM   
Beryl

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

what does the film illustrate?

I have always found it interesting that in American combat memoirs, just about every explosion near the writer is blamed on "88s"

if my memory serves me right, in the movie the AA 88 guns, manned by volksturm, are positionned on a straight line in the open on the right bank of the Rhine, and suffer complete anihilation from artillery shells and shermans firing from the left bank. As anyone could imagine it would be stupid to used such guns at close range, from a known position and without blakhaus protection... and you can't fire against tanks and planes at the same time

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 2784
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 7:47:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

No.1
2. I am not represented in WIF in the way I existed in WWII (it can't really be so).
However my inclusion in the game is right and ADG have done a good job.

5. Think Pacific War.

1st SNLF division?
Warspite1

Is the correct answer The Special Naval Landing Forces were rarely used in anything more than battalion or (rarely) brigade-size strength and certainly not division and much less corps size. After Japanese expansion plans came to a halt, these units were largely used as island garrison troops, where many were wiped out.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2785
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 9:28:16 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.1
2. I am not represented in WIF in the way I existed in WWII (it can't really be so).

5. Think Pacific War.

1st SNLF division?
Warspite1

Is the correct answer The Special Naval Landing Forces were rarely used in anything more than battalion or (rarely) brigade-size strength and certainly not division and much less corps size. After Japanese expansion plans came to a halt, these units were largely used as island garrison troops, where many were wiped out.

Don't forget in WiF divisions represent units of divisional size or smaller.

Some Japanese Special Landing Forces were as large as regiments

Japanese Special Landing Forces ~ my post #91

And then there are the 3,500 man strong Sea Landing Brigades.

Sea Landing Brigades ~ my post #101

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2786
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 9:32:00 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

It is similar Landing Craft Assault (LCA) but the difference is in the details.

The Landing Craft Assault (LCA) was controlled from behind the shield the starboard side.

Here is a good view from a paper model of a LCA

This landing craft has two .30-caliber machine guns and was controlled from behind the port machine gun position.

Just a FYI: The writing on the landing craft is PA1814.

Last clue: "P" stands for personnel.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2787
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 9:46:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.1

5. Think Pacific War.

1st SNLF division?
Warspite1

Don't forget in WiF divisions represent units of divisional size or smaller.

Some Japanese Special Landing Forces were as large as regiments

Japanese Special Landing Forces ~ my post #91

And then there are the 3,500 man strong Sea Landing Brigades.

Sea Landing Brigades ~

my post #101

Warspite1

Yes the XX are divisions - and the X are brigades The 1st and 2nd SNLF counters are divisions and the SNLF fought at battalion or at most brigade size.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2788
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/5/2012 9:52:08 PM   
Orm

1. I do have a counter in WIF
2. I am included in the set up for Global War but I am not always set up in Global War games.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2789
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/6/2012 6:47:43 AM   
warspite1

quote:

1. I do have a counter in WIF
2. I am included in the set up for Global War but I am not always set up in Global War games.
Warspite1

With those clues Orm you've given it away. It can't be anything other than the German 5-4 Alpine Corps.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2790
Page:   <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI