Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 2:51:57 PM   
witpqs

CT, you keep mentioning a lack of ground KIAs. In AE, a disabled squad indicates that the squad is out of action, including some of the men WIA and KIA. A destroyed squad is one that is either all men KIA & WIA (or perhaps even captured) with any men remaining dispersing or being used to fill in other squads.

Sure in game terms it is better to destroy enemy squads but you are getting "KIAs" vis a vis the real-world equivalent whenever you 'only' get enemy squads disabled.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 181
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 3:10:26 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

CT, you keep mentioning a lack of ground KIAs. In AE, a disabled squad indicates that the squad is out of action, including some of the men WIA and KIA. A destroyed squad is one that is either all men KIA & WIA (or perhaps even captured) with any men remaining dispersing or being used to fill in other squads.

Sure in game terms it is better to destroy enemy squads but you are getting "KIAs" vis a vis the real-world equivalent whenever you 'only' get enemy squads disabled.

so you're saying that recovery from disabled status incurs a cost in squad devices from the pool? I wasn't aware this was the case. If the recovery from disabled status isn't costing anying in the way of devices from the pool to replace the "actual" KIA's you say are occurring as a result of the diablement than the disbled status isn't representing any KIAs at all.

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 182
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 3:23:18 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

so you're saying that recovery from disabled status incurs a cost in squad devices from the pool? I wasn't aware this was the case. If the recovery from disabled status isn't costing anying in the way of devices from the pool to replace the "actual" KIA's you say are occurring as a result of the diablement than the disbled status isn't representing any KIAs at all.

No, I did not say that.

Castor is making the comparison of game results to real life results and complaining about the lack of in-game KIAs. A game result of

"Disabled Squad"

is equivalent to a real world result of

"Squad with some men WIA and/or some men KIA and/or some men captured"

If you are making comparisons of in-game results and real-world results then you must make the accurate comparisons.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 183
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 3:57:01 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

Is the map different in Da Babes? Because some of those bases he's invaded don't exist in stock.

Also I see he's still ground bombing at Singapore - bad idea.

we are playing scen 26B, with Andrew Brown's extended map. Really nice, as is the whole mod. Thumbs up for the guys

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 184
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 4:01:59 PM   
castor troy

quote:

well I get what you are saying but a squad KIA real life pretty much would be the same as a squad destroyed in the game, with a squad disabled in the game is not a squad KIA in real life. Same as a gun disabled in the game is not a gun destroyed in real life, but destroyed in the game would be the same as destroyed in real life.

Only destroyed squads/guns etc really counts, everything else is recovered x times faster than if the enemy has to rebuild the unit. Recovering from disablement state only takes supplies, recovering from destroyed squads/guns takes supplies and even more important it takes stuff out of the pool so if the pool hasn't got those devices, no replacements.

disabled in game definitely is not destroyed/killed in real life as you need a soldier, a gun, any device for a killed/destroyed squad/gun in real life and not only supply. Same as in the game, you need something from the pool when you destroy/kill something. Disabled may be wounded, shell shocked, etc but not killed. At least that's my take on it.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/2/2012 4:11:05 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 185
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 4:06:45 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

No, I did not say that.

Castor is making the comparison of game results to real life results and complaining about the lack of in-game KIAs. A game result of

"Disabled Squad"

is equivalent to a real world result of

"Squad with some men WIA and/or some men KIA and/or some men captured"

If you are making comparisons of in-game results and real-world results then you must make the accurate comparisons.

Yes, I understood that and was being both fascetious and sarcastic.

The reality is that since "disabled" doesn't result in any in game loss it is valid to complain about the in game lack of KIAs.

Saying that the in game lack of KIAs really equates to a real world result of actual KIAs only exacerbates the disparity that is being descried in the first place.

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 186
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 4:13:49 PM   
EUBanana

Yeah, really fixing a disabled squad should have some sort of cost, like a quarter of the manpower cost or something.

You'd probably see Japan get mullered in China then if they try and assault, rather than the usual IJA offensives, if disablements actually had some sort of price. As it is a lot of the action in China can be more or less effortless for Japan if they so choose.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 3/2/2012 4:14:13 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 187
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 4:40:27 PM   
witpqs

Guys,

Fixing a disabled squad does have a cost. It costs supply, which is an abstraction for many things in AE. It also takes time, but that's less directly to the point being discussed. Yes, I know that supply is not a count of individual men. In a game like AE it is necessary to abstract many things. Also, disabled squads certainly don't fight like enabled squads and that is significant in-game as well. The assertion that there are no in-game costs resulting from disabled squads is quite untrue.

CT - more to the point you are making: for example, 22 squads disabled is certainly the real-world equivalent of many individuals within those disabled squads getting KIA as well as others WIA or whatever. In that example if it were only 1 or 2 individuals from each squad KIA that would be a total of 22 to 44 individuals KIA, which is much greater than "none". Fixing disabled squads, using supply, abstracts replacement individuals and equipment.

You guys might disagree with any individual results or the results overall, but as a matter of fairness one must acknowledge that disabled squads are representing the real-world KIA of various individuals. I am not presuming to argue with you guys about the particular results, I am pointing out a misunderstanding of the terminology.

I won't continue this discussion because a bunch of guys with your experience with this game claiming that there are no costs associated with disabled squads is more of a ridiculous rant than a serious discussion.

Bye.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 188
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 5:13:52 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Guys,

Fixing a disabled squad does have a cost. It costs supply, which is an abstraction for many things in AE. It also takes time, but that's less directly to the point being discussed. Yes, I know that supply is not a count of individual men. In a game like AE it is necessary to abstract many things. Also, disabled squads certainly don't fight like enabled squads and that is significant in-game as well. The assertion that there are no in-game costs resulting from disabled squads is quite untrue.

CT - more to the point you are making: for example, 22 squads disabled is certainly the real-world equivalent of many individuals within those disabled squads getting KIA as well as others WIA or whatever. In that example if it were only 1 or 2 individuals from each squad KIA that would be a total of 22 to 44 individuals KIA, which is much greater than "none". Fixing disabled squads, using supply, abstracts replacement individuals and equipment.

You guys might disagree with any individual results or the results overall, but as a matter of fairness one must acknowledge that disabled squads are representing the real-world KIA of various individuals. I am not presuming to argue with you guys about the particular results, I am pointing out a misunderstanding of the terminology.

I won't continue this discussion because a bunch of guys with your experience with this game claiming that there are no costs associated with disabled squads is more of a ridiculous rant than a serious discussion.

Bye.

you destroy a gun in real life, how do you get it back? By sending a ton of supply or by sending a new gun? You kill a soldier in real life, how do you get a new comrade in your platoon? By being sent supply or by being sent a new soldier? And both things exist in the game. Devices and supply. So there is no good reason to say supply now is also the device itselve. Destroyed perfectly means destroyed in the game. You get 20x 25pd guns a month and if a gun is destroyed you need one of those 20 from the pool. No matter how many hundred thousand tons of supplies you send, without that gun from the pool you will never get it back into your unit. While disabled, again, does NOT mean destroyed because you only need supply to fix it.

Or do you see this disabled (in your real life term destroyed) gun as the gun's ghost that can be reanimated by using supplies?

Supply isn't the abstraction of soldiers or guns, because this is what the devices are for. Supply is the food, the medicine, the uniforms, the bullets and stuff like this. And I don't know where you seem to have read that I said it has no cost to recover disablements. I specifically pointed out it ONLY COSTS SUPPLY.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/2/2012 5:17:56 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 189
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 5:17:08 PM   
crsutton

And disabled squads lead to the reduction of the fighting power of the unit-which in a sustained campaign will result in the stronger unit eventually defeating the weaker-which then leads to significant losses. It is an abstraction I know but the end result is not too bad. The problem for the Allied player is that he is pretty much losing most battles in the first few months of the war and thus losing a lot more units. It is painful but not out of line with want really happened. And later on it is the Japanese player that will suffer massive losses compared to very light Allied losses which is not out of line either.

Although, modern firepower may have altered the equation the one constant through history is that armies suffer the most casualties not when they are fighting in the front line but after they are broken and retreating.

Yes, in game terms it is sometimes a bit funky but considering that this is not really a land warfare game, it works well enough.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 190
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 5:31:03 PM   
witpqs

One last reply, then I'm out. It's your AAR and I don't want to have a protracted argument with you.
quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

Guys,

Bye.

you destroy a gun in real life, how do you get it back? By sending a ton of supply or by sending a new gun? You kill a soldier in real life, how do you get a new comrade in your platoon? By being sent supply or by being sent a new soldier? And both things exist in the game. Devices and supply. So there is no good reason to say supply now is also the device itselve. Destroyed perfectly means destroyed in the game. You get 20x 25pd guns a month and if a gun is destroyed you need one of those 20 from the pool. No matter how many hundred thousand tons of supplies you send, without that gun from the pool you will never get it back into your unit. While disabled, again, does NOT mean destroyed because you only need supply to fix it.

Or do you see this disabled (in your real life term destroyed) gun as the gun's ghost that can be reanimated by using supplies?

Supply isn't the abstraction of soldiers or guns, because this is what the devices are for. Supply is the food, the medicine, the uniforms, the bullets and stuff like this. And I don't know where you seem to have read that I said it has no cost to recover disablements. I specifically pointed out it ONLY COSTS SUPPLY.

When it comes to fixing disabled squads, yes it is. Tanks and guns and squads and all of the kinds of disabled devices consume supply when they get 'fixed', which is meant to represent the replacement parts, effort, and what not that goes into fixing them. For squads that includes replacement individuals. That was covered by the developers on the WITP forum long ago. It is certainly your right to disagree with that design decision, but that's how the game is designed.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 191
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 5:48:17 PM   
castor troy

either my English just fails or you don't want to understand me. Yes, supply is used to RECOVER but not to REPLACE devices.

A tank is damaged (aka disabled), you need supply to fix it. A tank is destroyed, you need a TANK to replace it. A squad is shell shocked, you need supply to recover them, a squad is killed, you need a SQUAD to replace it.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/2/2012 5:49:05 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 192
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 6:07:31 PM   
witpqs

Squads don't get killed in the game. They either get disabled or destroyed. When a squad is disabled that represents that some of the individuals in the squad have been killed or wounded. When a disabled squad is fixed that represents that the shortage of ready for duty individuals has been remedied by replacement individuals, abstracted by supply usage.

Your English is fine. You have simply gained a mistaken impression of when they (the designers) meant for it to represent when a squad becomes disabled and what they meant for it to represent when a disabled squad gets fixed.

Post #: 193
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 6:15:16 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Squads don't get killed in the game. They either get disabled or destroyed. When a squad is disabled that represents that some of the individuals in the squad have been killed or wounded. When a disabled squad is fixed that represents that the shortage of ready for duty individuals has been remedied by replacement individuals, abstracted by supply usage.

Your English is fine. You have simply gained a mistaken impression of when they (the designers) meant for it to represent when a squad becomes disabled and what they meant for it to represent when a disabled squad gets fixed.

perhaps it makes it easier with guns. So what about those "devices"? Do the same as above using a 155mm gun instead of a squad.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 194
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 6:23:26 PM   
witpqs

It isn't about what we infer. It was stated directly long ago. That's how they designed it - good/bad, right/wrong, inferior/superior, dumb/smart, or whatever.

And BTW all devices - all of them - have crews. Those crews can take individual casualties (KIA/WIA/captured) when the device is 'disabled'. Those casualties have to be made good when the device is 'fixed'.

Yes, of course the tank/gun/radar etc. needs spare parts to be fixed. It also needs any people casualties among the crew to be replaced.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 3/2/2012 6:24:06 PM >

Post #: 195
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/2/2012 8:22:21 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Submarine attack near Colombo at 24,48

Japanese Ships
SS I-153

Allied Ships
AG Haitan

AG Haitan is sighted by SS I-153
SS I-153 launches 2 torpedoes

missed...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Colombo at 24,48

Japanese Ships
SS I-153

Allied Ships
AG Haitan

SS I-153 launches 2 torpedoes

missed...

*Attention All Hands* -- Crew is advised not to buy any lottery tickets. You've already used up all your luck.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 196
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/4/2012 8:13:22 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

It isn't about what we infer. It was stated directly long ago. That's how they designed it - good/bad, right/wrong, inferior/superior, dumb/smart, or whatever.

And BTW all devices - all of them - have crews. Those crews can take individual casualties (KIA/WIA/captured) when the device is 'disabled'. Those casualties have to be made good when the device is 'fixed'.

Yes, of course the tank/gun/radar etc. needs spare parts to be fixed. It also needs any people casualties among the crew to be replaced.

Exactly. It has been this way since UV.

The device is an abstraction of the whole unit required to operate effectively. A 155mm "device" is the gun, the crew, the on site ammunition and the on site spare parts.

Supplies are an abstraction of everything this unit requires to be brought back to full strenght in case of taking losses, or to be kept operational when operating.
Whether this is a replacement loader for the one lying in field hospital with diarrhea, a new gun barrel, or a new tyre, is not discernable. If a soldier in the unit gets killed
supply is used to abstract the event of a new replacement soldier arriving at the squad.

The only situation different to the above is when the whole unit gets wiped out as a fighting force. The gun destroyed, the crew shot or killed by a direct hit, the commander killed
or taken prisoner. Then you need two abstracted means to replace the losses:
Supplies, as in the previous situation, but also manpower and/or "the device", representing a completely trained unit including their commander.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 197
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/4/2012 3:41:08 PM   
castor troy

ok boys, so until we "reach" the stage where 1 (in words: ONE) whole squad/gun/tank is destroyed you are correct, 1+ it's the way the others (including me) described.

So let me say sorry to every reader when I rant about my garisson units not being able to KILL a FULL squad, but they only managed to kill 1-11 soldiers in a squad which lead to only 1 squad disabled, 0 squads destroyed. Same for the guns, the garissons failed to kill a "full" gun, but only damaged one now and then. Anyone thought I would be nitpicking?

And once more I say, the only thing that really counts is when the game shows it as DESTROYED, disabled means literally nothing as it only takes some supplies to fix it and supplies are pretty much unlimited for both sides. Disabled may mean something in a fight if it's a prolonged one but in the cases on the last 7 pages of the AAR when an enemy unit lands unprepared at some place and my garisson manages to kill 1-11 soldiers (meaning one squad disabled) it means nothing as the unit is just picked up and thrown onto the next base where the garisson manages to kill the next 1-11 soldiers and damage a gun now and then.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/4/2012 3:45:33 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 198
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/5/2012 10:42:38 AM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 31, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Singapore Fortress, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 58
G4M1 Betty x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 4 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
41 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
36 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 11000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
39 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
19 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet

Also attacking Singapore Base Force ...
Also attacking Singapore Fortress ...

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 44

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

nearly 140 IJNAF bombers participate in the attack on Singergrad now... desperate?

Aircraft Attacking:
36 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 11000 feet
8 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 11000 feet

Also attacking 9th Indian Division ...

Morning Air attack on Tarakan , at 67,91

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 2

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 6000 feet

Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 117 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 37 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 22
Ki-36 Ida x 11
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 6 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 5 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 12

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb
22 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
11 x Ki-36 Ida bombing from 11000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 30 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 77
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 35

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 30 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 12 damaged

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 21

in total we see nearly 250 enemy aircraft bombing Singergrad on a daily basis... a pity my flak isn't a little more efficient... most of those damaged bombers are FOW, 1/3 is damaged at best...

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet
18 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
17 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Also attacking Malayan Air Wing ...
Also attacking 22nd Australian Brigade ...
Also attacking Singapore ...
Also attacking III Indian Corps ...
Also attacking AHQ Far East ...
Also attacking 223 Group RAF ...
Also attacking SSVF Brigade ...
Also attacking 224 Group RAF ...

Raid detected at 111 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 damaged

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet

Raid detected at 94 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 28
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 5

Aircraft Attacking:
28 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 11000 feet
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
12 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 11000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 12

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 6000 feet

Sub attack near Melbourne at 82,170

Japanese Ships
SS I-16, hits 4

Allied Ships
CM Prins van Oranje, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PC Warrego

damn it, had two CM in this TF and one was sunk a couple of days ago, now the other one bites the dust... both were empty though and with mines being so rare, the load is worth more than the minelayer...

SS I-16 launches 2 torpedoes at CM Prins van Oranje
PC Warrego fails to find sub, continues to search...
PC Warrego attacking submerged sub ....
Escort abandons search for sub

Amphibious Assault at Tanna (120,157)

TF 309 troops unloading over beach at Tanna, 120,157

Amphibious Assault at Belep Islands (112,155)

TF 335 troops unloading over beach at Belep Islands, 112,155

Ground combat at Tubuai (168,187)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 867 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 42

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 42

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 42 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tubuai !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Assaulting units:
Maizuru 1st SNLF

Ground combat at Raoul Island (128,177)

Attacking force 332 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 14

Japanese adjusted assault: 3

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Raoul Island !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(-), supply(-)

Assaulting units:
2nd Indpt SNLF Coy

Ground combat at Raiatea (171,175)

Attacking force 2143 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 42

Japanese adjusted assault: 5

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Raiatea !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: supply(-)

Assaulting units:
51st Naval Guard Unit
4th/A Div /1

Post #: 199
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/5/2012 10:48:27 AM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 01, 42
ASW attack near Portsea at 81,171

Japanese Ships
SS I-20

Allied Ships
DD Vendetta
DD Thracian
DD Thanet

SS I-20 is sighted by escort
I-20 bottoming out ....
DD Thracian fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Thanet fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Thanet fails to find sub and abandons search

we already enter February, have sent out 4 destroyers to hunt down the enemy midget sub carriers around Melbourne... early war and so our ASW forces aren't any better than the enemy's...

ASW attack near Koepang at 68,116

Japanese Ships
DD Sawakaze
xAK Nisso Maru
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
SS KX

SS KX launches 4 torpedoes at DD Sawakaze
KX bottoming out ....
DD Yukaze fails to find sub, continues to search...

Amphibious Assault at Efate (120,154)

TF 337 troops unloading over beach at Efate, 120,154

Submarine attack near Koepang at 68,116

Japanese Ships
xAK Tateisi Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KX

xAK Tateisi Maru is sighted by SS KX
SS KX launches 4 torpedoes

hopefully we keep scoring on enemy shipping with subs and if the enemy will finally have more escorts we should be able to drive home more attacks as this would mean our subs attack submerged instead of surfaced and breaking off immedietely...

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 22 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 2

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid spotted at 23 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 12

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:

Afternoon Air attack on Singapore Fortress, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 44
G4M1 Betty x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:

Afternoon Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 117 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 28
Ki-36 Ida x 11
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:

Ground combat at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 9597 troops, 358 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 1941

Defending force 39729 troops, 440 guns, 288 vehicles, Assault Value = 333

Japanese ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
261 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Singergrad still holds but it can only be a matter of days now...

Assaulting units:
16th Infantry Regiment
11th Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
12th Engineer Regiment
5th Recon Regiment
56th Infantry Regiment
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
33rd Division
5th Engineer Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
41st Infantry Regiment
148th Infantry Regiment
15th Ind. Engineer Regiment
2nd Recon Regiment
II./4th Infantry Battalion
23rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
21st Division
2nd Engineer Regiment
114th Infantry Regiment
42nd Infantry Regiment
21st Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
24th Infantry Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
25th Army
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment
84th JAAF AF Bn
1st RF Gun Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
2nd Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Raiding Rgt /2

Defending units:
SSVF Brigade
11th Indian Division
27th Australian Brigade
9th Indian Division
Malayan Air Wing
1st ISF Base Force
109th RAF Base Force
24th NZ Pioneer Coy
III Indian Corps
111th RAF Base Force
2nd Malay Battalion
AHQ Far East
Malaya Army
Singapore Base Force
2nd Loyal Battalion
Singapore Fortress
224 Group RAF
2nd Gordons Battalion
1st Malay Battalion
1st HK&S Heavy AA Regiment
2nd HK&S Heavy AA Regiment
1st Indian Heavy AA Regiment
3rd HK&S Light AA Regiment
1st Hyderabad Battalion
2nd ISF Base Force
112th RAF Base Force
22nd Australian Brigade
22nd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
223 Group RAF
1st Manchester Battalion
FMSV Brigade
110th RAF Base Force
3rd Heavy AA Regiment
109th RN Base Force

Ground combat at Namlea (76,108)

Attacking force 450 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 16

Japanese adjusted assault: 2

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Namlea !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(-), supply(-)

Assaulting units:
Bandasan SNLF

Ground combat at Belep Islands (112,155)

Attacking force 369 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 15

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Belep Islands !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
4th Indpt SNLF Coy

Ground combat at Tanna (120,157)

Attacking force 709 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 16

Japanese adjusted assault: 9

Japanese assault odds: 9 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tanna !!!

Combat modifiers

Assaulting units:
53rd Naval Guard Unit

the CV TF with Shokaku has been sitting West of Timor for a couple of days already, pretty sure the enemy is preparing his invasion of Northern Australia and the carriers are waiting for the amphib TF to catch up... at the same time he interdicts all shipping to Darwin from the West, but I am not intending of sending ships anway, have stopped all shipping since the loss of Koepang...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 200
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/5/2012 4:13:29 PM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 02, 42

Japanese Ships
DD Tachikaze
DD Asagao

Allied Ships
SS S-38

not sure but I guess we haven't hit an enemy DD yet...

SS S-38 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Tachikaze
S-38 bottoming out ....
DD Asagao fails to find sub, continues to search...

Amphibious Assault at Tandjoengselor (68,92)

TF 202 troops unloading over beach at Tandjoengselor, 68,92

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 12

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 2

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:

for what reason ever, bluebook keeps sweeping Tarakan...

Morning Air attack on TF, near Bataan at 78,77

Raid detected at 76 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
PT-41
PT-35

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
3 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 22
Ki-30 Ann x 28
Ki-36 Ida x 11
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 23
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 14

Aircraft Attacking:

Afternoon Air attack on Darwin , at 76,124

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 41 NM, estimated altitude 35,810 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 63

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed

No Allied losses

after the enemy CV strike a week ago encountered two dozen Warhawks at Darwin the enemy now sends some sweep from Koepang... the Zeroes are horrible outnumbered with 63 out of exactly 100 P-40 on Cap and even though they get their strato dive it only last for two passes... then the Zeroes are shred by our fighters... Koepang -> Darwin = a looong way to fly, which means trouble for any damaged aircraft... 2/3 of the attacking Zeroes are lost...

CAP engaged:
3rd PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes
17th PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes
20th PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes
33rd PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 25000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 23 minutes

Afternoon Air attack on Singapore Fortress, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 62

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
36 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet
26 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 38

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 15 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on Darwin , at 76,124

Raid detected at 69 NM, estimated altitude 42,500 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 31

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 55

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 6 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

the Zeroes weren't the only sweep and a big number of Oscars shows up too, amazed they got the range to get from Keopang to Darwin... the Oscars did far better as their strato dive lasted for something like two dozen passes which accounted for 7 P-40 instantly shot down for no loss for the strato sweepers... only as the dive ended we also saw the firing from behind passes to end and then the Oscars suffered from being totally undergunned, not even able to damage the Warhawks... near every burst from the Warhawks resulted in an Oscar falling from the sky which lead to a 2:1 in favour of the P-40 as quite a couple of Oscars crashed on their way home... guess we were able to take down 18-20 enemy aircraft for the loss of 10 Warhawks which is quite a good result considering the date... together with the AVG those 4 P-40E squadrons are flown by the best currently available fighter pilots though so every other squadron should do worse... don't think bluebook will come back with another sweep...

CAP engaged:
3rd PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
17th PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
9 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 33000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
20th PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (7 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 32000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
33rd PS (P) with P-40E Warhawk (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 26950 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 47 minutes

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 5
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet
5 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

CA Atago
DD Asashio
TB Kamo
DD Arashio
DD Oshio

Allied Ships
SS KXII, hits 4

interesting intel but a succesful attack on an enemy capital ship would be about time as the enemy has been running with carriers, battleships and cruisers over my subs on a near daily basis... does Kongo and Haruna mean KB being around? Guess not when I see a TB in the same task force which seems a little strange to me...

SS KXII is sighted by escort
DD Arashio fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Oshio fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Arashio fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Arashio attacking submerged sub ....

Amphibious Assault at Manokwari (85,109)

TF 120 troops unloading over beach at Manokwari, 85,109

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

17 troops of a SNLF Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 8th Indpt SNLF Coy

Ground combat at Clark Field (79,76)

Attacking force 46943 troops, 404 guns, 483 vehicles, Assault Value = 1602

Defending force 74252 troops, 1026 guns, 712 vehicles, Assault Value = 2398

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 744

Allied adjusted defense: 7855

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 10 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
6677 casualties reported
Squads: 42 destroyed, 353 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 80 disabled
Engineers: 92 destroyed, 127 disabled
Guns lost 61 (7 destroyed, 54 disabled)
Vehicles lost 84 (23 destroyed, 61 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1305 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 136 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 43 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 26 disabled
Guns lost 20 (1 destroyed, 19 disabled)

lots of interesting stuff going on this turn, I was absolutely surprised by this attack at Clark Field, bluebook knew that I would have more than 2000 av at the base and when I asked about what this was, he answered that he has to start wearing me down at some point... well, I like that... though a pity they managed to take down a fort on their first attempt already... guess without reinforcements from Singergrad he won't take the place anytime soon... and when looking at the assault there, then this should become even more bloody for the enemy... those attacking eng rgt should look horrible now...

if we sum up what the enemy has been using so far, there were 3100 av attacking Singergrad, 1600 av are attacking Clark Field and two enemy divisions were attacking the South Pacific, which makes roughly another 1100 av if you add in the SNLF and Navguard units being used for SOPAC, making it a total of 5800 av! Isn't that near double from what ppl told me the Japanese got at hand? Wow, it definitely is surely 1000 av more than I would have expected...

Assaulting units:
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
20th Division
16th Engineer Regiment
16th Recon Regiment
48th Division
9th Infantry Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
65th Brigade
4th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
14th Army
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
51st PA Infantry Division
31st PA Infantry Division
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion
14th PS Engineer Regiment
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
41st PA Infantry Division
31st Infantry Regiment
93rd PA Infantry Regiment
81st PA Infantry Division
21st PA Infantry Division
4th Marine Regiment
11th PA Infantry Division
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
194th Tank Battalion
61st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Infantry Division
192nd Tank Battalion
2nd PA Constabulary Division
73rd PA Infantry Regiment
71st PA Infantry Division
4th/101st PA Battalion
86th PS Coastal Artillery Battalion
Bataan USN Base Force
I Philippine Corps
Provisional GMC Grp
202nd PA Construction Battalion
803rd Engineer Aviation Battalion
Asiatic Fleet
201st PA Construction Battalion
Far East USAAF
Manila USAAF Base Force
1st PI Base Force
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
1st USMC AA Battalion
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
301st Construction Battalion
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
II Philippine Corps
PAF Aviation
USAFFE
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

Attacking force 10056 troops, 365 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 2071

Defending force 39822 troops, 439 guns, 288 vehicles, Assault Value = 339

Japanese ground losses:
76 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
124 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
11th Infantry Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
42nd Infantry Regiment
16th Infantry Regiment
5th Recon Regiment
2nd Engineer Regiment
33rd Division
148th Infantry Regiment
114th Infantry Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
2nd Recon Regiment
21st Division
12th Engineer Regiment
56th Infantry Regiment
41st Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
21st Infantry Regiment
5th Engineer Regiment
24th Infantry Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
84th JAAF AF Bn
1st RF Gun Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
25th Army
1st Raiding Rgt /2

Defending units:
27th Australian Brigade
11th Indian Division
SSVF Brigade
9th Indian Division
223 Group RAF
2nd Gordons Battalion
1st Manchester Battalion
24th NZ Pioneer Coy
Malaya Army
3rd Heavy AA Regiment
AHQ Far East
22nd Australian Brigade
Malayan Air Wing
1st ISF Base Force
112th RAF Base Force
224 Group RAF
III Indian Corps
Singapore Base Force
Singapore Fortress
109th RAF Base Force
2nd Loyal Battalion
1st Malay Battalion
2nd ISF Base Force
FMSV Brigade
1st Hyderabad Battalion
110th RAF Base Force
111th RAF Base Force
2nd Malay Battalion
109th RN Base Force

Ground combat at Efate (120,154)

Attacking force 378 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 16

Japanese adjusted assault: 16

Japanese assault odds: 16 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Efate !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Assaulting units:
5th Indpt SNLF Coy

and some intel again:

I./124th Infantry Battalion is loaded on a Aden Cargo class xAK moving to Cagayan.

reinforcements for the fight against my guerillas in Mindanao's mountains...

12/38th/C Division is loaded on a Japanese TK moving to Noumea.
3/35th JNAF AF Unit is loaded on xAK Yamahuku Maru moving to Suva.
5/4th/C Division is loaded on xAK Lima Maru moving to Suva.
1/4th/C Division is loaded on AMC Asaka Maru moving to Suva.

and two divs plus aviation support reported for SOPAC...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/5/2012 4:14:08 PM >

Post #: 201
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/5/2012 9:35:03 PM   
Schlemiel

I completely expect Singapore to fall to the next deliberate attack.  Most of your units seem to be below 50% TOE and his raw av is enough higher that I'd anticipate a surrender at the next rested DA (and be quite happy to live past the attack if I did).  I don't expect the bombings to have any significant effect on that outcome (and may, in fact, be a waste of planes at this point in the battle.  If it were me, I think bombing your airfield to reduce supply would be the more tactically useful option while doing the same to keep the forts down).

I'd probably feel the same against Clark Field if it were me, tbh.  I have no experience at it, but I know from the other side that it's fairly easy to kill off my supply with bombing raids (to hit supply bases and waste tons of supplies on the AA side of things).  To me, there's not much need to rush the anywhere in that theater.  I'd be perfectly happy to let your Malaybalay garrison starve after I closed the hexsides.  I'd bet a brigade with a couple of fort levels could keep you locked there permanently if the hex sides were closed.  That garrison would then be convenient bomber training for the next couple years (not that I think there's a better use of those troops as the Allies, but I think Japanese players tend to want to liquidate the pocket too quickly.  I see little advantage to the Allied player even if the pocket holds a year or two.  It can't really be reinforced unless the war is already won.  By the time the Japanese player brings in adequate reinforcements in 1942, they probably could have closed off the hex and made it a prison camp with forces already tasked for the area (at least in my inexperienced opinion).  Same if you form a dutch pocket in the mountains in Java.  While it takes a lot to liquidate it actively in 1942, very little force is needed to keep it trapped once the hex sides are closed.   I think it pays off against a lot of players, but against a player who anticipates and recons it, I think little fortresses in expected places could end up freeing more av faster.

Post #: 202
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/6/2012 7:52:05 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schlemiel

I completely expect Singapore to fall to the next deliberate attack.  Most of your units seem to be below 50% TOE and his raw av is enough higher that I'd anticipate a surrender at the next rested DA (and be quite happy to live past the attack if I did).  I don't expect the bombings to have any significant effect on that outcome (and may, in fact, be a waste of planes at this point in the battle.  If it were me, I think bombing your airfield to reduce supply would be the more tactically useful option while doing the same to keep the forts down).

I'd probably feel the same against Clark Field if it were me, tbh.  I have no experience at it, but I know from the other side that it's fairly easy to kill off my supply with bombing raids (to hit supply bases and waste tons of supplies on the AA side of things).  To me, there's not much need to rush the anywhere in that theater.  I'd be perfectly happy to let your Malaybalay garrison starve after I closed the hexsides.  I'd bet a brigade with a couple of fort levels could keep you locked there permanently if the hex sides were closed.  That garrison would then be convenient bomber training for the next couple years (not that I think there's a better use of those troops as the Allies, but I think Japanese players tend to want to liquidate the pocket too quickly.  I see little advantage to the Allied player even if the pocket holds a year or two.  It can't really be reinforced unless the war is already won.  By the time the Japanese player brings in adequate reinforcements in 1942, they probably could have closed off the hex and made it a prison camp with forces already tasked for the area (at least in my inexperienced opinion).  Same if you form a dutch pocket in the mountains in Java.  While it takes a lot to liquidate it actively in 1942, very little force is needed to keep it trapped once the hex sides are closed.   I think it pays off against a lot of players, but against a player who anticipates and recons it, I think little fortresses in expected places could end up freeing more av faster.

Singergrad's defenders did/do very well IMO. We face a huge Army and inflicted severe losses to the enemy and delayed him a multiple of the time he expected to take the base. Yes, ground bombing has not done anything to my units. As to the attacks on the airfield, bluebook made a mistake in not flying enough airfield attacks early on so I was able to rebuild a fort level two or three times which made it even more difficult for him to overcome my defenders. Supplies are no problem, there are still more than 30000 at the base, nearly halve of what we had at start and I don't know exactly how many went into fort construction but I guess something like 15-20000. So if we take the deliberate attacks into account, the ground battles and the airattacks have not cost more than another 20000.

If the enemy has to leave a bgd on Mindanao to keep my guerillas in place then this sounds perfectly fine to me. Same for Clark Field and Java, if he doesn't kill off those strongholds then he has to use something like 2000-2500 av in total as prison guards and this would be just great as it would only leave him with those 2000 av that are left at Singergrad and 1000 in SOPAC for further offensive operations and this sounds far better to me than to face 6000 av in two or three months. Little fortresses do literally nothing, just compare a defense of Malaya with those little fortresses against an advancing Army of 3100 av with my defense of Singerpore only. The 3100 av would just roll over over any 2-300 av defense without taking any notable damage while my defense of Singerpore caused 600 combat squads destroyed and something like 1500-2000 disabled, while the disabled ones are recovered rather fast. I don't think a delaying defense on the peninsula could have done that, nor do I think it would have taken the enemy nearly as long to take Singerpore as it does now. To be honest, bluebook seems quite frustrated about his Singergrad adventure. If he decides to ignore my pockets he will find out that I am able to do some offensive with 2500 av if he lets me and he wouldn't be the first one to have his troops kicked around on the Philipines when he underestimates what a shock attack can do.

(in reply to Schlemiel)
Post #: 203
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/6/2012 10:31:15 AM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 03, 42
Sub attack near Koepang at 68,116

Japanese Ships
xAK Nisso Maru
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
SS Trusty, hits 3

missed... with a 70/70 crew, a good skipper and 8 forward torp tubes Trusty should be our best sub in theory...

SS Trusty launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Nisso Maru
DD Yukaze attacking submerged sub ....
DD Yukaze is out of ASW ammo

Amphibious Assault at Eua (138,169)

TF 237 troops unloading over beach at Eua, 138,169

ASW attack near Larantoeka at 68,114

Japanese Ships
xAKL Tensyo Maru
PB Chohakusan Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-38

SS S-38 is sighted by escort
PB Chohakusan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Chohakusan Maru attacking submerged sub ....

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 6
G3M2 Nell x 43
G4M1 Betty x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
56 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 11000 feet
3 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet
3 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet

Also attacking 11th Indian Division ...

Morning Air attack on TF, near Bataan at 78,77

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
PT-35
PT Q-113
PT Q-111

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'

Morning Air attack on 9th Indian Division, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 62

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
35 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet
27 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet

like I've said before, these attacks do literally nothing, the units are near no disruption... don't know if it really does something in terms of supply, one thing is for sure though, the enemy spends more supply flying those ground attacks than it costs us supply...

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 85
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 32

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 26 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 7 damaged

Allied ground losses:
4 casualties reported

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 30

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet
25 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet
7 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet
20 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet

Also attacking Malayan Air Wing ...
Also attacking 27th Australian Brigade ...
Also attacking 223 Group RAF ...
Also attacking 22nd Australian Brigade ...
Also attacking 111th RAF Base Force ...
Also attacking III Indian Corps ...

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 9

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet

Also attacking AHQ Far East ...
Also attacking SSVF Brigade ...

Morning Air attack on TF, near Saumlaki at 78,117

Raid spotted at 5 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-26 Marauder x 5

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAKL Kidokawa Maru, Bomb hits 1
xAKL Hakuyo Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
70 casualties reported

have spotted another small convoy which was ordered to move to Saumlaki... we move 40+ Marauders to PM and a whopping 5!!!! attack... all bombers found the target no other bombers even took off... have to get used to the halved effect of bombs, meaning those xAKL take damage as if they would have been hit by a 250lb bomb, making one bomb hit not enough to sink them...

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-26 Marauder bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 3 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Saumlaki at 78,117

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 3,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-26 Marauder x 5

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAKL Hanakawa Maru
PB Kure Maru #5, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk

Japanese ground losses:
42 casualties reported
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 2 disabled

same as in the morning, only 5 bombers attack (12%)... the TF was spotted having 6 ships, all full of troops... wonder which real life commander wouldn't have sent all his available bombers to attack such a convoy that is going into a vital area... would really love to have more influence on target selection...

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-26 Marauder bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 3 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Amphibious Assault at Rangiroa (177,174)

TF 32 troops unloading over beach at Rangiroa, 177,174

12 Support troops lost from landing craft during unload of 51st Nav Gd

and here's the NavGd to take Saumlaki... would we have seen our 40 available bombers attack the unit would have been sunk together with the ships... we manage to sink a PB and damage two xAKL...

Amphibious Assault at Saumlaki (78,117)

TF 214 troops unloading over beach at Saumlaki, 78,117

Attacking force 10474 troops, 403 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 2129

Defending force 39897 troops, 439 guns, 288 vehicles, Assault Value = 341

Japanese ground losses:
52 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
70 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 2 disabled

the enemy still recovers his strenght and another day passes with Singergrad still being Allied...

Assaulting units:
11th Infantry Regiment
56th Infantry Regiment
2nd Recon Regiment
148th Infantry Regiment
42nd Infantry Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
21st Infantry Regiment
16th Infantry Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
114th Infantry Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
5th Recon Regiment
41st Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
2nd Engineer Regiment
21st Division
33rd Division
12th Engineer Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
5th Engineer Regiment
24th Infantry Regiment
84th JAAF AF Bn
1st RF Gun Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
25th Army
5th Field Artillery Regiment
1st Raiding Rgt /2

Defending units:
SSVF Brigade
27th Australian Brigade
11th Indian Division
9th Indian Division
3rd Heavy AA Regiment
110th RAF Base Force
1st Malay Battalion
2nd ISF Base Force
2nd Gordons Battalion
22nd Australian Brigade
2nd Loyal Battalion
Singapore Base Force
2nd Malay Battalion
AHQ Far East
1st ISF Base Force
223 Group RAF
24th NZ Pioneer Coy
224 Group RAF
109th RAF Base Force
Malayan Air Wing
1st Hyderabad Battalion
Malaya Army
112th RAF Base Force
111th RAF Base Force
III Indian Corps
FMSV Brigade
Singapore Fortress
1st Manchester Battalion
109th RN Base Force

Ground combat at Tandjoengselor (68,92)

Attacking force 444 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 16

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tandjoengselor !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(+), leaders(-), fatigue(-)

Assaulting units:
III/66th Naval Guard Unit

Ground combat at Manokwari (85,109)

Attacking force 361 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 15

Japanese adjusted assault: 8

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Manokwari !!!

Combat modifiers

Assaulting units:
8th Indpt SNLF Coy

Ground combat at Rangiroa (177,174)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1247 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 25

Japanese adjusted assault: 7

Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Rangiroa !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), supply(-)

Assaulting units:
51st Naval Guard Unit

transferred 24 B-17E today, result were 3 lost to ops... so much about the 4E bombers... crews had no fat, range was a whopping 9 hexes... we lose a weekly production...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 204
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/6/2012 10:37:55 AM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 04, 42
Sub attack near Victoria at 206,51

Japanese Ships
SS I-19, hits 1

Allied Ships
xAKL Coloradan, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAKL Kentuckian
AM Wasaga

enemy sub sitting off the West Coast, waiting for my rare convoys coming from Seattle...

SS I-19 launches 2 torpedoes at xAKL Coloradan
I-19 diving deep ....
AM Wasaga fails to find sub, continues to search...
AM Wasaga attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-19 eludes ASW attack from AM Wasaga

Sub attack near Kendari at 70,106

Japanese Ships
xAK Bunzan Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
SS Argonaut

we take revenge in sinking a bigger freighter, Argonaut was on minelaying mission...

SS Argonaut launches 2 torpedoes

Japanese Ships
DD Sawakaze
xAK Nisso Maru

Allied Ships
SS Trusty, hits 5

Trusty is out of action now, has to retire to repair 10 sys... a failed patrol...

SS Trusty launches 2 torpedoes at DD Sawakaze
DD Sawakaze fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Sawakaze attacking submerged sub ....

Amphibious Assault at Misool (80,108)

TF 13 troops unloading over beach at Misool, 80,108

Amphibious Assault at Sampit (58,97)

TF 258 troops unloading over beach at Sampit, 58,97

TF 88 encounters mine field at Kendari (70,106)

Japanese Ships
xAK Bunzan Maru, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

the already sinking Bunzan Maru then hit a mine that finished her...

Japanese Ships
xAKL Tohuku Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Oigawa Maru
xAKL Oridono Maru
PB Chohakusan Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-37

we get another small freighter at Koepang, succesful submerged attack... thank god there was an enemy escort...

SS S-37 launches 2 torpedoes at xAKL Tohuku Maru
S-37 bottoming out ....

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
37 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:

Morning Air attack on 9th Indian Division, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Raid spotted at 25 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 5 damaged

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid detected at 105 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 33 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 22
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 19

Aircraft Attacking:

Morning Air attack on Singapore Base Force, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 34
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied ground losses:
36 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet
16 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet

Also attacking Malaya Army ...
Also attacking Malaya Army ...

Afternoon Air attack on Singapore Base Force, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 16 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 61

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
34 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet
27 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 25
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 12 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 6 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 14

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 11000 feet
20 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 11000 feet

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 5 damaged

Airbase hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:

not sure if there are any enemy bombers anywhere else than near Singapore and Clark Field...

Afternoon Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid detected at 97 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 28
Ki-36 Ida x 11
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:

Amphibious Assault at Cocos Islands (33,101)

TF 72 troops unloading over beach at Cocos Islands, 33,101

Japanese ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

7.7mm T99 AAMG accidentally lost during unload of 22nd JAAF AF Bn
Sound Detector (J) lost overboard during unload of 22nd JAAF AF Bn
Observor Squad damaged beyond repair during unload of 22nd JAAF AF Bn
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost overboard during unload of 22nd JAAF AF Bn
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 22nd JAAF AF Bn
7.7mm T99 AAMG lost from landing craft during unload of 22nd JAAF AF Bn
12 Aviation Support troops lost in surf during unload of 22nd JAAF AF Bn

Attacking force 82281 troops, 953 guns, 330 vehicles, Assault Value = 2208

Defending force 40028 troops, 438 guns, 288 vehicles, Assault Value = 352

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 1628

Allied adjusted defense: 925

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2071 casualties reported
Squads: 11 destroyed, 163 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 24 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 57 disabled
Guns lost 37 (1 destroyed, 36 disabled)
Vehicles lost 15 (2 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3119 casualties reported
Squads: 195 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 26 destroyed, 225 disabled
Engineers: 11 destroyed, 50 disabled
Guns lost 78 (10 destroyed, 68 disabled)
Vehicles lost 50 (5 destroyed, 45 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

who said Singergrad would surrender already? we repell attack number 7 IIRC... not surprising we don't do much damage anymore but still... bluebook didn't like it...

Assaulting units:
2nd Recon Regiment
16th Infantry Regiment
41st Infantry Regiment
2nd Engineer Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
12th Engineer Regiment
114th Infantry Regiment
33rd Division
56th Infantry Regiment
148th Infantry Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
5th Division
21st Division
56th Recon Regiment
24th Infantry Regiment
84th JAAF AF Bn
1st RF Gun Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
25th Army
5th Mortar Battalion
1st Raiding Rgt /2

Defending units:
11th Indian Division
27th Australian Brigade
SSVF Brigade
9th Indian Division
2nd Gordons Battalion
FMSV Brigade
Malayan Air Wing
1st ISF Base Force
24th NZ Pioneer Coy
III Indian Corps
AHQ Far East
22nd Australian Brigade
111th RAF Base Force
2nd ISF Base Force
Malaya Army
2nd Loyal Battalion
1st Malay Battalion
Singapore Fortress
3rd Heavy AA Regiment
110th RAF Base Force
112th RAF Base Force
223 Group RAF
Singapore Base Force
1st Hyderabad Battalion
109th RAF Base Force
1st Manchester Battalion
224 Group RAF
2nd Malay Battalion
109th RN Base Force

Ground combat at Saumlaki (78,117)

Attacking force 254 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6

Japanese adjusted assault: 2

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Saumlaki !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(-), fatigue(-), supply(-)

Assaulting units:
I/81st Naval Guard Unit

enemy carriers moving into the Indian Ocean again...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 205
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/6/2012 3:28:46 PM   
Schlemiel

Nice, you won the leaders roll and prevented the 2:1 (which I suspected would have triggered the Japanese win, though I don't have a ton of experience with the early battles).  I do think that your decision to replace the leaders has paid big dividends, and this is just the latest example.  Sure, it's guaranteed to be like 6:1 next time, but another day is another day :)  I don't think he needs 2000 av to keep you in prison in Mindanao and Clark Field, 1000 av (200 in Mindanao and 800 at Clark) after a month might very well be enough (again, not a lot of experience, but the advantages of terrain you are using also reduce the troop requirement for prison duty, especially once they have forts).  I definitely think defensive postures is the way to go as the Allies (at least against an experienced opponent), as it poses a problem to the Japanese player, but I just don't feel that many Japanese players look at it as a chance to move many of their troops on earlier than they might otherwise have to.  An extra 1000 AV freed up a month early might be worth more to the Japanese than an extra 2000 av two months later after their disabled squads are fixed (given the amphib bonus, with which I agree with you).  It's not like the Japanese player won't have years to destroy those garrisons with impunity while they are on the defensive.  Could even potentially use them as training for fresh troops.  

Post #: 206
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/6/2012 4:12:13 PM   
castor troy

2000 av for Clark and Java with Mindanao only needing 100 or so. Got 2300 av at Clark Field, nearly 100 prepped and I can guarantee that it would take a whole lot of luck to hold as the Japanese with 800 av there. I have shock attacked the enemy around on the Philipines a couple of times already, facing up to 1000 av. And you know what happens if you have to retreat once... Ok, perhaps it's not 2000 av in total but 1800 or so but I guess you get what I mean.

I agree with you, the Japanese could of course bypass all the strongholds but until which line? Bypass Java, ok, bypass Clark Field, ok, bypass Darwin, ok, bypass Port Moresby, ok, bypass Sydney, ok, bypass Wellington, ok... but where are they going then? Antarctica?

Of course I don't know what bluebook's overall plan is, if I have to guess, it will be Australia as he took all of the Pacific except Hawaii, Johnston, Palmyra, Christmas Island, Canton Island and New Zealand and also took the atolls West of Ceylon so this clearly aims at isolating Australia. Going with this assumption he just has to take Port Moresby or Darwin at some point I'd say. What he did so far (and he did well) was taking literally empty ground everywhere.

(in reply to Schlemiel)
Post #: 207
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/6/2012 4:56:28 PM   
Andav

Speaking as someone who plays the Japanese, in the PI I personally like to make sure I send enough to take Manila and Clark. Bataan can then be controlled with about 800 AV (less if you really want) and eventually taken. The rest on the army packs up and heads other places. That being said, Singapore is really the key to everything early. In my opinion, it must be overwhelmed in early to mid January to allow a decent sized port in the area. BBs have to travel a very long way to rearm until Singapore falls. The longer Singapore holds, the longer the Japanese are delayed from the rest of the DEI and beyond.

Regarding ground attacks, if you play the Japanese, I think you get used to the pounding Allied air can give your units. One day of attacks will really do a number on a unit. We tend to think we can do the same thing. The problem is the Allies typically drop a minimum of 6 x 500 lbs bombs whereas the Japanese only drop a max of 4 x 250kg with many dropping far less both in number and size. The numbers just do not add up to anything especially in a place like Singapore where the total number of units being bombed is very high and the terrain and forts offer protection. Using carrier planes to ground attack Singapore is really kinda a waste of an asset.

And of course, the Amphibious Bonus is AWESOME! One of the best things ever added to the game! (please note the preceding smilie and consider my tongue firmly planted in my cheek)

Wa

Post #: 208
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/7/2012 4:06:56 AM   
SeethingErmine

I think bluebook made a mistake hitting Singapore with so many regiment-sized infantry units. They always seem to take severe losses and perform poorly in big battles. If you notice, on the last hit he finally snuck in a fourth full division (5th Div). If he'd had four or five full divs instead of all those broken up pieces from the start I bet it would have cost him a lot less with the same AV commitment.

Your math on his total AV is pretty good - the 20th Div that showed up at Clark is a Korea buyout, so you know where his PPs have gone. (And probably what prompted the attempt.) I bet he came ashore on Luzon with only like 1k AV originally, but a lot of it was good IJA tank regiments. One of the things I like about your AAR style is we can keep track of the LCUs from the full combat log.

I know we're a bit time-warped here, but could you give us a world map screenshot sometime? I confess a part of me just wants to see everything painted red, but it still would be interesting to see what you're dealing with after the initial rampage.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 209
RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor tro... - 3/7/2012 5:06:25 AM   
Schlemiel

I'd be curious to see the strat map myself.  As to the specifics of Clark, I absolutely agree that your AV can maul a small Japanese stack, especially early on in the campaign.  I'm probably thinking of mid February myself, by which time air power can probably get your supply levels down to the point where you don't particularly want to attack and the troops have time to build at least fort level 2 on the rough jungle terrain.  With that duration of prep time for 2 divisions worth of troops, it's going to take quite some luck to dislodge the IJA in that terrain with forts when your own supplies are probably quite limited.  The defensive multiplier in Clark Field is quite strong, much stronger than most places you'd consider the counter shock attack early in the campaign.  That said, I'm sure I'm want to go for the siege of Bataan myself, after sending enough to clear Manilla and Clark.  The Allied player can definitely take advantage of the open border between Bataan and Clark if we're thinking of a many month siege scenario with relatively few troops.

The point of such a move anyway would be to have the maximum av available for the last phase of operations during the amphibious bonus, wherever that will hit.  It doesn't exactly matter which line it is, though the Phillipines are so far behind what can be expected to be Japanese lines for the next few years that it's a safe bet that Allies won't be able to adequately exploit it if bypassed compared to, say Fiji if you are going for New Zealand.  If holing up the Allies in Clark lets you potentially hit later targets (the Darwins, Port Moresbys, and especially places like Sydney or Wellington (of those are your plans) with an extra thousand AV during the bonus rather than having 2000 extra available once it's gone, it might be a worthwhile tradeoff.  It's the classic back fill maneuver to deny the Allies as many bases as they can actually exploit in the first year or two of the war as possible (the Allies holding Port Moresby in fall 1942 is a far better position for the Allies than still holding a pocket in Clark Field well beyond any kind of supply).  Tying up unnecessary resources to eliminate a pocket that's too deep in your interior to be any threat seems like a suboptimal choice to me, all else being equal (which it never is).  Either bring enough to clear it fast, or bring just enough to tie it down (with some temporary cushion until forts can be raised).  Something in between doesn't seem, to me anyway, to be the way to go.  That's just looking at it from a Japanese perspective though. 

From an Allied perspective, balling up a lot of those early units makes a ton of sense, as it forces the Japanese player to react during the phase where aggression is important.  Think how much extra was brought to Ambon just for fear of what you might have put there.  The only "counter" to having these bypassed is what you already have to be doing-preparing your final line of defenses at the places you can actually get troops in time.  And, if your opponent gets a little sloppy, you can force a retreat and really put the hurt on.  I definitely agree with SeethingErmine that attacking you in Singapore with those regiment-sized units was a mistake.  I've gotten to the point that I'll only ever use them in an attack if I think I can force the retreat.  Divisions are so much more resilient and I've come to believe (based on admittedly limited evidence) that you'll suffer fewer overall casualties attacking at, say, 1:2 odds with full divisions than 1:1 with those regiments included.  The divisions can absorb the blows better to begin with, and there will be fewer of them (which can be temporarily split after to replenish disabled faster, at least as the Allies).  I haven't seen anything which convinces me that the firepower of the smaller units significantly increases the casualties to the defender, either.  I think Singapore could have been almost as bad in the lack of destroyed squads department as some of the other fights if bluebook hadn't been attacking with the smaller units consistently (and I totally agree with you there, seems so odd that the attacker can almost always be back up to full strength after a week of heavy attacking in short order).

This game is interesting though.  I'm curious to see just what bluebook plans as his major offensive.

(in reply to SeethingErmine)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI