Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/21/2012 4:43:21 PM   
requiem72

Just two things that might need a revision.

a: there is no axis supply point on cyprus. This might be intentional, but it would ad a little spice to any Med operation.
b: rivers and lakes in Russia don´t freeze over in the winter . Thats too easy for the defender.

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 121
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/23/2012 7:06:58 PM   
USXpat

Thank you for the notes, Requiem! Good points - will add the Cyprus Axis Supply Point. Also, will be reviewing some of the rivers again to tone them down. Weather zone settings will be reviewed again so river/lake/shallow terrain freezes over like it should.

On a short break from 42-45 for editing the last 400-450 events and debating whether to upgrade it for a possible upcoming patch.

(in reply to requiem72)
Post #: 122
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/25/2012 6:12:22 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

I'm a long-time Third Reich fanatic, so when I saw the beta for 1942-1945 was available, I downloaded it, along with the ancillary documentation. Most of it is straightforward, but how can I find out the uses/purpose of ancillary units, like Civillian Bookmarks, or Supply Trucks? There are quite a few units that I don't know how to use properly. I have gone back over the wargame college feeds, but still am in the dark about how the system fits into TAOW. Can someone clue me in?

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 123
OOPS! - 2/25/2012 6:31:03 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Sorry about that last post...I went back over the feeds and forum posts and see that it is pretty well explained. At the bottom of the wargame college pages is a link to older feeds...someone has done an excellent job with documentation, player aids, and a manual. There are a lot of goodies I didn't pick up on the first download (they got put in the scenario directory...PDF Files seems I forgot to look before I leaped!

Thanks for a scenario I have been hoping would be published since I bought Talonsoft's TAOW 1!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 124
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/25/2012 6:48:56 PM   
USXpat

Thanks for playing, Tom! 

Civilian Bookmarks - are only for use in navigating the map "potentially faster" than scrolling.  They are listed first in the Order of Battle.  Right click on one and open up the Formation Screen and then you can hop over to another area.   They're mobile, so you can move them as you see fit.  Best use is to position them near the most active areas of a front. 

Supply Trucks - there's only a few of these and they were implemented "early on in the development" for reasons that I've forgotten... heh.  One reason might have had something to do with the nebulous asset sharing that can help boost supply some.  One other valid option is to keep them around through mid-43 to accumulate trucks and other vehicles and then disband them when you start receiving the artillery divisions which start low on vehicles. 

Rail Engineers - best not to use these for combat, but can be helpful for other units needing to dig in... and of course, fixing rail lines when you go on the offensive.

Amphibious - there's just a few of these on the Russian side and their main purpose is to help with hex conversion in otherwise impassible terrain (super rivers/swamps).  I didn't want to use river monitors or patrols for this for several reasons. 

For the Axis PO version - the Axis have SIGINT units which are only for modeling erosion of Axis Theater Recon values.  The Wehrkreis Forts, the Logistics (embarked train icons) and the "Fixed" Mobile Supply Points are all tied into modeling the erosion of Axis rail transportation, replacement rates, supply, supply radius, etc.  - none of these are intended for use in any offensive capacity and most have nominal defensive value.

Feel free to ask questions about other units.  Still on the last 400 events for the next PBEM version.

(in reply to PRUSSIAN TOM)
Post #: 125
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/27/2012 12:41:42 AM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Thanks for the excellent play aids, and the e-mail with additional tips. I have created a Excel Workbook w/1 spreadsheet/turn for the Turn to turn checklist. Easy to copy sections from previous turns, and follow the order of the checklist.
ONE MORE NOOB questions:
1) How does one use "." to find last turn's embarked units? (Its not too tough right now (Turn 2), as there are only a couple of US units using sea transport). Is it a playing aid that I am unaware of?

Everything else is working nicely...sorry I am so slow, but by documenting each step of each turn, I can go back via saves, and get it right without having to ask so many questions!

I got the disband sorted out by actually disbanding some cadres...they are very nice, and tell you what you will achieve if you disband this or that unit. Nice design; I don't have to ask, "How come I don't have very much sea transport on turn 2? . It looks like it is because there are already embarked units...the capacity goes right back up when they disembark (or before the next turn), and the Overview clearly states that the sea transport capacity is about 4 divisions/turn.

Very cool...this scenario is so enticing, that it may become a controlled substance. !

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 126
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/27/2012 11:37:21 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: PRUSSIAN TOM

Very cool...this scenario is so enticing, that it may become a controlled substance. !

Prussian Tom,

Please don't say that. If there are any politicians reading this they will be thinking "Don't make it a controlled substance. Make it legal so that we can tax it."

It's not good to give the little blighters something to think about...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 2/27/2012 11:38:26 AM >

Post #: 127
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/28/2012 3:11:39 AM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Excellent point! We don't want the beltway typpes doing too much creative thinking.

Stll have 1 question...HOW DOES ONE USE M"." TO FIND EMBARKED/ENTRAINED UNITS FROM LAST TURN?

As an ambitious noobie, I am busy working on Turn 2 & the start of 3, hoping to take Kharkov, and prepare to blunt DAK's expected offensive in the Western Desert!

Thanks to the excellent play ands, and active community, I am evauating beefing up the sea transfer capacity, and maybe bag a few U-boats!

"Never has so much been written by a rookie about so little (still on turn 2, with reams of notes & observations).

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 128
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/28/2012 3:52:54 AM   
USXpat

Late here - but to respond real quick ---

For embarked units - this refers only to units "embarked on rail transport".  Just press the period "." and you will move to the next unit entrained.  This doesn't work (afaik) for units embarked at sea.  Armored divisions can potentially use up almost all of the sea transport in a turn though. 

Glad you like it so far - still early though! 

Post #: 129
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/28/2012 10:02:33 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Another NOOB question (sigh).

Just starting out...Particularly in Russia, there are a LOT of air units in remote areas. For example. 9th PV08 fighter unit, adjacent to Astrakahn. This unit belongs to a formation with internal support. I would like to beef up fighter coverage between Moscow and Rostov. Moving this unit will put it out of C&C, although it can provided limited support for Fighters with the same color scheme. Will transfering the entire formation to, (for example) the SW/South Front allow all units in the formation to cooperate, or do they have to stay in the Caucasus Mountain area? There is not a lot of enemy air activity around Astrakahn, Baku, and such, and I could use these fighters to support an attempt to beef up defenses in the Diepner Area. (Just an example)...Russia has more fighters coming on line, but what is the prognosis on moving the entire formation (on internal support) to an entirely different region?
This is a test case, looking at the possibility of redeploying entire formations so that they don't lose the benefit of limited internal support.

Also: Looking through the OOB, and rummaging thru stacks, I can find no Russian Airborne Units. Russia had a very limited Airborne capability, largely ineffective. Are there any Russian airborne units, either at the start, or arriving later?

Please understand that I am NOT critizing the OOB I just want to make sure I don't leave any paratroopers high & dry. (I would leave the Russian Para's out of a game with this scale, given thier historical performance),

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 130
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 2/28/2012 10:32:52 PM   
USXpat

Air units can be moved pretty much how you like. Cooperation levels of air unit formations should not have any impact on anything except Ground Support missions. Units assigned by the computer to support a ground attack will not impact cooperation levels either.

However, any unit directly assigned to a ground attack - will factor in the cooperation levels, and the PVO air units generally don't cooperate with anything. For that matter, there's only limited cooperation with the rest of the Red Air Forces.

Eventually, the Soviet Union receives 10 Guards Airborne Divisions, of which #'s 1 - 5 have airborne capability, but 6 - 10 are treated as regular infantry. Intention was to provide the capability, but NOT THAT MUCH. Even five divisions is excessive especially for the PO version - should not be any, because the PO has a hard enough time dealing with normal situations as it is. So, that's an oversight on my part.

They'll show up around T50.

Post #: 131
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 3/1/2012 4:40:41 AM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

TY...I actually got through a coupl of turns without asking additional questions. The C&C setup is excellent in this scenario, as are the play aids. It's almost like playing the ETO on 1:10 scale. Great detail, but well worth the effort.

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 132
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 3/4/2012 12:40:51 AM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

My first try against the Axis PO went about as well as Grazini's Italian Campaign againt Britan! . While the Axis PO may not be perfect, it kicked my arse . I'm having another round, but for noob's (like me); with huge scenarios, Elmer may not be the brightest bulb in the string, but he is VERY good at keeping track of details and there are a LOT of details thar require attention.

Trying to score the +25 VP for taking Kharkov worked about as well as it did historically....by the time turn 6 came around, I was on the run, on all fronts.

Beefing up defenses in North Africa is not something that can safely be put on "hold".

My other major weakness (a HUGE strenght for the Axis PO! ), is attention to details...keeping co-operating formations together, and coordinating attacks (The PO got a LOT more rounds than I did). Elmer maximized use of forces on internal support, and coordinated his attacks with agressive follow-through. My inept attention to details (espically C&C) resulted in the Allies going rapidly.

I hope to avenge the Allies on my second attempt.

Great job with both the Scelario and the Axis PO....I never got far enough in the game to encounter PO "flaws!"

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 133
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 3/8/2012 9:32:39 PM   
requiem72

again its me
still bumping our heads on T58 and becoming really ahistorical.
While Helsinki sees a lot of russians approaching, Damascus is seeing its share of Tiger Panzers.

again some points that might need a thought or two.
Axis sea transport might be to much. I´m able to ship about 4 Inf. Divisions ( a full Corps ) per turn. I personaly think this is too much. It might be about right then, if you think that I also can only ship a Tank brigade with this transportation level.
and a general problem with 3.4. the entrenchment rate. It should be lower, maybe even coupled with a decrease in movement cost through ZOC´s.

just my two cents.

And please don´t wait for 3.5. Thats going to take a while.

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 134
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 3/15/2012 9:05:46 PM   
patton1950

Is there a functioning PBEM version of this available anywhere? I can't seem to find it on the Wargamecollege site....

Thanks!

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 135
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 3/31/2012 1:56:30 AM   
mike1984

I'm going to take a stab at the latest version. So far, I love the older version that Requiem72 and I are working on, and I'm eager to see the fixes you've made to the latest version.

I might keep an AAR of this one.

< Message edited by mike1984 -- 4/1/2012 1:00:41 AM >

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 136
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/1/2012 1:20:54 AM   
USXpat

Hello Gentlemen,

My apologies, currently the only functional version is still the Axis PO Version; updated PBEM version is not complete yet. There should be no real problem playing the Axis PO Version via PBEM between two humans. Major points of doing so would be for the Axis Player - all the TO disbands and the Panzer Upgrades are already keyed to happen; and a lot of units in inactive fronts are on garrison mode - gradually activating as the game progresses. The upshot is that the German 1943 defenses in Italy are already set up - but in garrison mode.

There will be a PBEM update; it is very close to the top of my priority list; I intended for it to be done on Feb 1 - but my job keeps taking dramatic turns - going in circles really... 9 changes in management in less than 3 years. 3 AM on a Saturday and still working... and hopefully it will "really pay off". Don't have my hopes too high... but if all goes well there should be something to "embellish" the support site by June or so.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 137
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/1/2012 4:19:46 AM   
sPzAbt653

Hey Mark, I'm a fan of separate scenarios too, but in case you hadn't seen it, there is a 'PO Activate' event that can be used. I used it in Autumn Fog where all three versions are in one scenario and it works well. If you knew about it but decided against using it, then ... nevermind !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 138
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/21/2012 10:02:16 PM   
USXpat

Sorry for my extended absence - it's been one RL battle after another, but I ain't dead yet (again)... Incoming surge on the PBEM version. There have been several suggestions and I will do my best to get them in - no guarantees.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 139
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/23/2012 1:32:30 AM   
USXpat

Very close to completing the update to the PBEM version -- 1 or 2 more days, making it a priority as its a now or never proposition. I appreciate the feedback from everyone who's been playing it so far. This time around I've not messed with the OOB or formations, except to add units at the end of the OOB so as to not disturb all the events keyed to specific units and such. Have finished with the core components of the strategic warfare campaign ported over from the Axis PO version.

A number of TO&E changes have been suggested particularly for the English Army and a few American units. This is about the last of the work to do - I won't be able to fit it all of them in. Additional supply points are being added, and the US navy will deploy on the proper side of the staging area. So, all this will need to be tested again - but my situation is probably not going to allow for much more time to improve it to the full extent I'd like... and unfortunately the same goes for the second project I was hoping to get into.

Not down and out by any means, but have to buckle down on with a lot of work to create a more sustainable and tolerable work situation, doing that in Ukraine involves some extra difficulty.

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 140
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/23/2012 7:08:38 PM   
USXpat

http://www.wargamecollege.net/2012/04/1942-1945-pbem-update-1-5-beta/

Just a quick update that The Third Reich 42 - 45 PBEM **UNTESTED BETA** 1.5 is available for download above... just over .5 MB
Quick notes are there, but notes for the Strategic Warfare Component can be found at

http://www.wargamecollege.net/2012/01/explaining-eev-impact-axis-tr42-45/

What through off the previous version hardcore was adjustments to the formations and OOB which skewed the events, which I avoided this time. I only managed to get a few of the TO&E changes in -- and I definitely appreciate all the help and notes. Will see how things go with this version.

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 141
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/30/2012 6:11:43 PM   
USXpat

I decided to resign from my job - which started out great for the first 9 months and has been hell the past 27 months. During this period the company went through 7 marketing managers and no less than 6 ppc teams, just to put that into context. That carried over to my being exceptionally erratic too... still 'twitching' - heh..

Anyways, back to wargaming and an attempt to develop a few niches in Ukraine between a handful of expats. A close friend of mind has OdessaTalk.com - which caters to news and commentary about issues in Ukraine. Just around the corner is Victory in Europe day which is still celebrated here. One thing we're trying to find is a "Scenario" that focuses upon the Siege of Odessa in 1941 - which led to Odessa being declared one of the first Hero Cities of the Soviet Union -- we'll be doing an article on that, but he is also wanting to see a "wargame after action report" to match with it. Likely to be the first of several of this type of thing. Will be linking to Matrix in support of any games we actually run (TOAW III, WITE or otherwise).

Welcome any word of a scenario for TOAW -- otherwise might run with either the WITE Kyiv or Dnepropetrovsk scenario - and then maybe make a TOAW specific Siege of Odessa for next year... or somethin'

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 142
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/30/2012 8:23:56 PM   
shunwick

Mark,

There is a TOAW I scenario Odessa 41 by Scott M Baron over at Rugged Defense. I cannot comment on it since I have not yet seen it but I do have it converted to TOAW III if you are unable to convert it yourself. The scenario is from 2003 and almost certainly needs work. That's the only one I can think of. It might be worth checking it out.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/30/2012 8:25:08 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 143
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/30/2012 10:16:02 PM   
USXpat

Hi Steve,

Thanks - I just tried opening it without luck - the editor just hung for a few minutes. If you can send it to me at MWDabbs (at) gmail dot com - I'd be very grateful. Will take a look at it and go from there.

Thanks much!

Mark

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 144
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/30/2012 11:03:11 PM   
shunwick

Mark,

Having problems with thunderstorm at the moment so I may have sent the scenario twice. Sorry about that.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 145
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 4/30/2012 11:29:43 PM   
USXpat

No problemo, thank you for the file. Just responded via e-mail. If nothing else it is a good starting point. I'll go through Russian sources tonight to see how hard it would be to make another version with a bit more detail. McBride's Siege of Sevastapol is similar in a number of ways. Or may just play a larger scenario and just put a special focus on this area of operations within the broader context. Thanks Steve!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 146
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 5/11/2012 2:53:38 AM   
USXpat

Just posted the same to the AAR, posting here, too---

about a big problem. Up until the most recent turn received, Axis supply was 27 --
on T015, it jumped up to 77%.

I just went through the scenario dump file and isolated the problem to the DAK Axis Supply Point Reduction using the wrong trigger (Supply 1+ vs Supply Point 1). Where the supply point should be just 50% of regular -- the trigger effectively added +50 to axis supply.

I don't see a fix for this. The event is #849 - one of the last few and one of the last added.

My apologies to everyone -- I'll have a fix out later today (Friday).

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 147
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 5/11/2012 3:34:53 PM   
USXpat

wargamecollege.net/ThirdReich42-45v152.zip

Ok, that's the link to the updated file v. 1.5.2 - fixes the event in question, further tweaks Axis 81mm & 120mm mortar replacement rates.

Again, my apologies.

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 148
RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario - 5/11/2012 8:52:18 PM   
shunwick

Mark,

Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to USXpat)
Post #: 149
Calculating Squads replacement rates - 7/3/2012 10:44:18 PM   
governato

Mark, just a quick question: how did you figure out the replacement rates for the rifle squads of the different nations?
Lotsa historical data for planes, guns & tanks...but squads?

Based on the number of infantry squads in a division I use usually assume that 25% of all the men historically sent to the front get incorporated into infantry squads (this includes engineers and cavalry). Then I assume 10 men per squad. So:

rifle squads per turn = (conscripts per turn/4) / 10

The above might be different for different nations depending on the ratio of support to frontline troops.

Just curious to see how you get your numbers!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: East & West Front 1942-1945 scenario Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI