Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Massachusetts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> USS Massachusetts Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Massachusetts - 11/9/2002 2:56:07 AM   
Snigbert

http://www.battleshipcove.org/drydock.html

Here are some pictures and an article on the recent refitting of the USS Massachusetts BB59. She's a floating museum in Fall River and it's a really cool naval museum to check out if you ever get the opportunity. I was happy to see the state was willing to spend the money on her instead of letting her rot away.
Post #: 1
- 11/9/2002 1:48:02 PM   
Ranger-75

When I was a kid, I visited the ship. I was able to crawl into the 16" gun barrel.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 2
- 11/10/2002 1:35:04 AM   
Snigbert

I havent been there since I was fairly young, I remember I wasnt strong enough to turn the wheels to spin the AA guns.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 3
Hindsight - 11/11/2002 12:35:07 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Still wish they could have saved the "Big E" CV-6 in 1959. Total shame.:(

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 4
- 11/12/2002 12:38:26 PM   
Ranger-75

If they had saved the Enterprise, then they wouldn't have been able to have a new ship. I like the idea that Enterprise is the worlds first nuclear powered aircraft carrier and that it is still going strong after 41 years in service.

Some parts of the Big E have survived. The ships Bell and the sternplate to name a few.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 5
Why not? - 11/12/2002 10:28:07 PM   
Ron Saueracker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranger-75
[B]If they had saved the Enterprise, then they wouldn't have been able to have a new ship. I like the idea that Enterprise is the worlds first nuclear powered aircraft carrier and that it is still going strong after 41 years in service.

Some parts of the Big E have survived. The ships Bell and the sternplate to name a few. [/B][/QUOTE]

USS Constellation CV65(?) was commissioned with same name as the brig in Baltimore. Just decommission the puppy and all is well. Frigate Constitution still commissioned so no new ship of that name.

It's amazing that out of all the cool mothballed ships in the 50's, only ESSEXes, a 1st and a few 3rd generation BBs, plus a few cruisers, subs and destroyers survived, none of which stand out as WWII veterans when compared to ships such as San Francisco, Enterprise and Saratoga, examples of prewar 1500 ton DDs and pre Gato subs etc. Pity.:(

Not to mention historic ships of the Royal Navy....I'd go see Warspite in a second.:)

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 6
- 11/13/2002 3:52:28 AM   
showboat1

No to mention the recent scrapping of the Dedalo {ex. Monterrey(?)}. Have been aboard the USS Alabam down in Mobile more times than I can remember. The USS Kidd down in Baton Rouge is in spectacular condition. The prize among them all for me is the USS North Carolina. The first US fast battleship built and 3 year home of my grandfather from 1943 to 1946. She is about to undergo a restoration process as well.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 7
- 11/13/2002 3:59:19 AM   
mdiehl

Gotta love Saratoga's fate though. Gone to the bottom at Bikini, IIRC, with some really stellar company sharing her general grave site as well.

http://nuketesting.enviroweb.org/testpix/bakerb.jpg

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 8
- 11/13/2002 9:59:05 PM   
Admiral DadMan

[I]Saratoga[/I] and [I]Enterprise[/I] would have been the two that I would have wanted to be able to see. [I]Enterprise[/I] was in every carrier battle except for Coral Sea.

I grew up in MA and went aboard "Big Mamie" about 10 years ago, but it was late in the day and I couldn't spend long. A few times I've driven across the bridge downriver from her berth and saw her moored.

An impressive spectacle from that bridge. Too bad the veiw from there wasn't better...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 9
- 11/14/2002 2:21:58 AM   
Califvol

Its great that the Mass. has chosen to preserve that wonderful artifact.

In my own state the lack of foresight is very sad. The USS California BB-44, was built at Mare Island Navy Yard, California. She slowly sank into the mud at Pearl after the attack, but was raised and went on to a distinquished career in the Pacific, including fighting in the battle line on 25 October 1944 Battle of Surigao Strait in the last battleship on battleship engagement.

She was scarped at Mare Island Navy Yard, California in the 1950's. The same yard where she was built! Talk about a tragic waste of a potential memorial.

Right now is looks like the State of California is going to "steal" the USS Iowa (Congressional fight may loom) and make it into a memorial in San Fransico Bay.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 10
St. Louis - 11/14/2002 6:09:11 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I'd like to see the St. Louis returned from South America if not already gone to the breakers.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 11
Re: St. Louis - 11/14/2002 7:19:57 AM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
[B]I'd like to see the St. Louis returned from South America if not already gone to the breakers. [/B][/QUOTE]She could let the Brits break her up like they did the other WWII cruiser in the Falklands...:D

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 12
- 11/14/2002 1:47:34 PM   
Nikademus

If anyone else finds themselves down on the lowermost platform deck inside the open Machinery space, look for the disposible camera i dropped while climbing down to that level. Oh and bring a flashlight.....its dark down there.

;)

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 13
- 11/16/2002 10:50:35 PM   
Skyros

The best view of the USS Massachusetts is from the air. Once when taking the Delta Shuttle to NYC it flew right over her at what would have been good dive bombing altitude. You also get a good idea as to how these ships could be misidentified from higher altitudes.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 14
Shangra la - 11/16/2002 10:55:29 PM   
mogami

Hi, I was stationed at the Philadelphia ship yard in the late 80's when Shangra la CV-38 (I think) was towed away by Dutch tugs to be scrapped. She was concidered a hazzard so no one was allowed to go onboard.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 15
- 11/18/2002 7:10:50 AM   
Snigbert

Was that an Essex Class?

My dad was on the USS Kitty Hawk back in '68. He was taxi'd over to Vietnam on her (along with the rest of the 27th Marines). That's the closest I've been to an actual carrier :(

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 16
Georges Averoff - 11/18/2002 9:28:03 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I saw this old protected Greek cruiser from the air while leaving Athens, not knowing she existed. It was like travelling back in time. Three funnels, twin turrets, tripod masts...cool looking. Going to take a tour when my other niece in Greece gets married.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 17
- 11/22/2002 8:55:57 PM   
Proteus

Kitty Hawk is a post WW2 "super carrier" built after 1950. I last saw her in San Diego last year.

I work at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard so I see ships come and go all the time. Currently we have the Big E finishing her availablity. In fact I witnessed her entry and departure from dry dock 8 (the largest dry dock in the USA) this year. About two months ago I had the bow of the Big E facing my work center on one side and the Truman on the other side.

Accross the river lies the Wisconsin in downtown Norfolk and further down the way the worlds largest Naval Base.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 18
For security reasons... - 11/22/2002 10:43:58 PM   
Ron Saueracker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Proteus
[B]Kitty Hawk is a post WW2 "super carrier" built after 1950. I last saw her in San Diego last year.

I work at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard so I see ships come and go all the time. Currently we have the Big E finishing her availablity. In fact I witnessed her entry and departure from dry dock 8 (the largest dry dock in the USA) this year. About two months ago I had the bow of the Big E facing my work center on one side and the Truman on the other side.

Accross the river lies the Wisconsin in downtown Norfolk and further down the way the worlds largest Naval Base. [/B][/QUOTE]

Too bad ya can't take photos and post 'em for us.;)

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 19
- 11/23/2002 3:32:28 AM   
The Gnome

The New Jersey is moored across the river from me now and is a floating museum in the works. One of these days I'll get up from the PC to pay her a visit.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 20
- 11/23/2002 8:23:51 AM   
Snigbert

That'd be worth a ride down to Philly to check out.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 21
- 11/23/2002 8:33:47 AM   
Admiral DadMan

ROAD TRIP!

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 22
The only surviving dreadnought - 11/25/2002 2:16:39 PM   
Sam-I-am

Ya gotta see this last dreadnought in the whole world!

A Veteran of World War I and World War II!

[B] TEXAS[/B] is the only US battleship to see combat in Africa, Europe and Asia!!!

If by chance Ya"ll do git to come visit Houston, Texas.

Be sure to see the one time

"Flagship of the US Navy" BB35 [B] TEXAS[/B] :D

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 23
Texas - 11/26/2002 6:18:01 AM   
Nikademus

Have to agree there. Texas is the most interesting of the USN BB's to visit because of her unique-ness....the last surviving example of the 'Dreadnought' era (though technically, modern BB's are also "Dreadnoughts" :) )

For those not fortunate as of yet to see the old girl, Warships1 has posted my photo-tour of the ship from back in 1999. Includes a couple semi-decent shots taken from inside the forward Tripod mast.

:)

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 24
SLEP - 11/26/2002 6:22:33 AM   
mogami

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Proteus
[B]Kitty Hawk is a post WW2 "super carrier" built after 1950. I last saw her in San Diego last year.

Accross the river lies the Wisconsin in downtown Norfolk and further down the way the worlds largest Naval Base. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, I was stationed at the Ship Yard in Philly and worked on both Kitty Hawk and Independece for their Service Life Extension Programs (SLEP) in 86-87

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 25
- 11/28/2002 12:12:31 PM   
Ranger-75

When I lived in NY, I used to drive by the Intrepid all the time, but I never went in to see it. There's a couple of WW-II subs moored with it too. It's a real nice museum, but traffic getting to it is hell, it being right at 42nd St & 12th Ave.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 26
- 11/29/2002 11:00:57 PM   
showboat1

Don't forget about Hornet, Lexington, and Yorktown. All three are preserved as museum ships. If you go visit South Carolina go to Patriot's Point and check out the Yorktown along with the USS Laffey and several other ships. They also have lots of planes.

My fav place to go, though, is the National Museum of Naval Aviation located at NAS Pensacola. It's a truly remarkable location. I heard they were working on getting an example of an F2A Buffalo and a TBD Devastator. Haven't heard any updates in awhile though.

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 27
Real old one.. - 11/30/2002 6:36:08 AM   
Mundy

Has anyone seen the USS Olympia in Philadelphia? I'm thinking of a trip to see it one of these years. I didn't know she still existed until I read a flyer I got with the Avalanche game, 1898.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 28
About Dédalo - 12/1/2002 7:23:18 PM   
Buchon

[QUOTE]Originally posted by showboat1
[B]No to mention the recent scrapping of the Dedalo {ex. Monterrey(?)}.

The Dédalo was ex-Cabot

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 29
- 12/2/2002 11:39:28 PM   
Jeremy Pritchard

You want to see some REAL cool ships, check out...

GEORGIOS AVEROFF (Greek Armoured Cruiser, pre-WW1)

MISAKA (Japanese Pre-Dreadnaught)

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> USS Massachusetts Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI