Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How good is the overall land warfare system?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How good is the overall land warfare system? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 8:36:36 AM   
fflaguna

I'm wondering about the viability of this engine for a WW2-era total conversion Korean War mod. As you know, the bulk of the Korean War was land-oriented, so I'm wondering how such a scenario would hold up as far as realism and gameplay are concerned.

I guess the best way to ask about the land system would be: "If someone had made a "Quiet Pacific" scenario (focused only on the Chinese land theater and coastline), would that have made for a compelling game?" What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Post #: 1
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 9:20:26 AM   
JeffroK

1/10
I dont think it would work.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 2
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 10:01:59 AM   
fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

1/10

You're probably right, but any thoughts on the WitP:AE land warfare system? Perhaps better suited for TOAWIII, but seeing as the Korean War happened less than five years after the close of WW2, the WitP:AE system should be robust enough.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 3
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 11:29:08 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

I'm with Jeff. You could try to force it, but the result would be pretty "kludgie" for a large land game. It works OK for the Pacific islands, but it already breaks down and needs "house rule" bandaids for China.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 11:35:17 AM   
fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

I'm with Jeff. You could try to force it, but the result would be pretty "kludgie" for a large land game. It works OK for the Pacific islands, but it already breaks down and needs "house rule" bandaids for China.

Hi, Mike. Are these House Rules a result of scenario settings, or actual problems with abstraction of WitP:AE land combat?

I'm picking up The Operational Art of War 3, now. There are some Korean War scenarios, but they're rather few and far between for such a serious war.

< Message edited by fflaguna -- 4/2/2012 11:40:20 AM >

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 5
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 12:15:17 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: fflaguna

Hi, Mike. Are these House Rules a result of scenario settings, or actual problems with abstraction of WitP:AE land combat?

I'm picking up The Operational Art of War 3, now. There are some Korean War scenarios, but they're rather few and far between for such a serious war.

You can find a number of them posted at the beginnings of AAR's. Then of course, there are the "quiet China" mods which attempt to avoid the problem altogether.

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 6
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 2:46:06 PM   
fflaguna

10/10 Thank you, will do. :)

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 7
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 3:30:34 PM   
Canoerebel

The ground war model in AE works decently - when you're playing AE (and when you have enough experience to know how it works).  It's fine for AE, because the land war is dwarfed by the signficance of the war at sea, the war in the air, and logistics.

The AE ground model wouldn't be at all suited for a largely land campaign where sea and logistics are secondary or less.

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 8
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/2/2012 4:36:20 PM   
JocMeister

I think something like Korea could work pretty well with the WITE engine. So perhaps you should look at that instead. AEs land model is sadly far from up to par with the rest of the game.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9
RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? - 4/3/2012 10:06:58 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The ground war model in AE works decently - when you're playing AE (and when you have enough experience to know how it works).  It's fine for AE, because the land war is dwarfed by the signficance of the war at sea, the war in the air, and logistics.

The AE ground model wouldn't be at all suited for a largely land campaign where sea and logistics are secondary or less.

+1

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How good is the overall land warfare system? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI