Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hearts and Minds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/21/2012 5:03:40 PM   
sprior

quote:

They gave up protecting Myitkynia

The Chindits are on their way there. I just couldn't think of a reason not to.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 7351
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/21/2012 5:05:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

They gave up protecting Myitkynia

The Chindits are on their way there. I just couldn't think of a reason not to.

A solution in search of a problem.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7352
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/21/2012 5:09:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

By ra way, has Lord Louis Mountbottom joined us in some capacity? I suppose he is hanging about at Kandy House asking for refills on his G&T and charming everyone with his wit?

Post #: 7353
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/21/2012 5:13:01 PM   
sprior

I haven't heard his bloody annoying voice yet.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 7354
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/21/2012 5:28:41 PM   
Cap Mandrake

<a man's voice is heard humming the tune of Edelweiss>

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7355
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/21/2012 5:33:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I lost the election by 4 votes out of a potential 60 or so votes. My opponent was better looking, younger and she actually had a strategic plan.

I tried for the old guard vote. I realized belatedly I was actually using the Chicago method (getting demented old people to vote for me) but I failed to fully implement the strategy, having failed to secure the felon, illegal alien and dead people votes. I deserved to lose really.

I assume you didn't ply your potential voters with alcohol or offer cash bribes to secure your position either? Honestly, Cap'n, it's like you weren't even trying to emulate the Chicago system.

Post #: 7356
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/22/2012 4:09:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Sign in today "EPROBA". This is a particularly nasty probing device employed by the Tralfamadorians. For some odd reason the memory wiping attachment seem not to work very well on humans who live in double-wides.

Went to a function last night with good food, pretty good wine and...oh yeah....it was an air museum.

They had a flyable B-17G (Fuddy Duddy) and a flyable B-25. They also had a beautiful B-26 in gloss black with Korean War equipment, a flyable C-47 and DC-3.

You couldn't actually board the planes but they did let you go in the bomb bays and stick your head in the hatches. The tail gunner position on the B-17G is incredibly tight. I think they must have used ex-jockeys. There is a catwalk in the B-17 bomb bay about 6 inches wide with rope handrails.

Most impressive things about the B-17 are the size of the tires, the engines and the tail.

The bombsight on the B-25 had an interesting log book of "running time"..probably the analog computer started to screw up from mechanical wear after a time and had to be serviced with new gears or other parts.

A C-47 is bigger than you think it is.

Post #: 7357
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/22/2012 4:36:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sauvequipeut

Why do you need to sue the airgroups on Horn Island to provide backfill? I know they're Yanks, but surely you could try just ordering them to do it?

Most will have assumed that "sued" was just a typographical transposition of "used", but your observation is very astute and displays a deep understanding of American labor relations. It's the pilots unions, you see.

*****United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Samoa, Dec. 22, 1942(c)*******

Judge Ito: Mr. Cheatham, I must warn you I am inclined to grant the injunction against your client's planned labor action on the grounds that they are public safety employees. Do you have an answer for that?

I. Dunn. Cheatham, Esq., counsel for the Pacific Pilots Assn. Local Number 221: <looks at notes, pauses> Yes...your Honor, we feel it is....well...not fair.

Judge Ito: Not fair? Is that the best you've got, Mr. Cheatham?

I. Dunn. Cheatham, Esq., counsel for the Pacific Pilots Assn. Local Number 221: One moment your Honor <leans toward a young man in fine linen slacks sitting next to him who begins to whisper in his ear..counsel nods then begins to speak> Your Honor, we object to the classification of our members as public safety employees. To begin, they are bomber pilots and crews.

Judge Ito: Agreed, go on.

I. Dunn. Cheatham, Esq., counsel for the Pacific Pilots Assn. Local Number 221: Secondly, as a consequence, many more people are likely to be injured or killed WHEN they are working than during a work stoppage. On this grounds, then, they cannot be reasonably be classified as public safety workers.

Judge Ito: hmmm....that's is quite good. It really is....

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/22/2012 4:40:36 PM >

(in reply to Sauvequipeut)
Post #: 7358
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/22/2012 4:55:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Just need a bit more filler to get to 1/4 million hits.

Who would have thought there are two players named Gasol in the NBA? What are the odds of that?

Anyway, the amphibious death star should be just passing Horn Is about now by hugging the coast of Oz behind the reef. We are not going to make a Christmas landing after the business of following around the minke whales for a day and a half. I am surprised that LYB air has not made a try at them yet. Port Moresby is pretty well beat up but Madang is still a possibility. I gave up the idea of a diversionary landing on New Guinea because nobody is going to be fooled.

Landing a Koumac on New Scotland in about 3 days. We have no carrier cover but JJ seems not to be putting up much of a fight, just subs and 2nd line support troops.

Post #: 7359
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/22/2012 6:14:18 PM   
BBfanboy

Judge Ito - isn't that a Japanese name? Another M&M contract maybe? Or was he assigned the circuit court after OJ got off?
How's the hit count now?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 7360
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/22/2012 6:16:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Or was he assigned the circuit court after OJ got off?
How's the hit count now?

As far as I know, the hit count still stands at 2.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7361
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/22/2012 6:20:56 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

1/4 million hits.

Is there a prize for #250k?

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 7362
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/22/2012 8:07:39 PM   
Moondawggie

quote:

So Pocahantas Gril calls Stalker Gril for advice. It seems Pocahantas Gril got cited for no seat belt.

So she gets cited and calls up Stalker Girl to see if I will sign it, the Pediatrician. I advised SG to tell PG to ask her plastic surgeon. I saw her while I was walking the dogs and pretended to look down at the trail so I wouldn't get stuck in a "curbside consult".

Yesterday, the Tata Bonus did not work.

I presume you explained to SG that ethically there was no way you could provide PG with a medical excuse without first performing a detailed physical exam of the involved anatomy?

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 7363
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/23/2012 12:58:02 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Just need a bit more filler to get to 1/4 million hits.

Is there any truth to the rumor that you are paying GreyJoy to not continue his AAR?

Post #: 7364
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/23/2012 1:55:07 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

quote:

So Pocahantas Gril calls Stalker Gril for advice. It seems Pocahantas Gril got cited for no seat belt.

So she gets cited and calls up Stalker Girl to see if I will sign it, the Pediatrician. I advised SG to tell PG to ask her plastic surgeon. I saw her while I was walking the dogs and pretended to look down at the trail so I wouldn't get stuck in a "curbside consult".

Yesterday, the Tata Bonus did not work.

I presume you explained to SG that ethically there was no way you could provide PG with a medical excuse without first performing a detailed physical exam of the involved anatomy?

What paragons of virtue you physicians are. What upright citizens, conscientious professionals and monolithic stewards of public faith. You stand erect at the pinnacle of society for your stalwart sacrifice.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 7365
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/23/2012 2:42:07 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Does this hurt? How about this? And this side?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7366
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/23/2012 4:41:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Judge Ito - isn't that a Japanese name?

It's Warrant Officer Ito. The leader bug is back.

*******Administrative Offices of the IX District US Circuit Court of Appeals, San Francisco, Dec. 22, 1942(c)*******

Judge Wopner, Aministrative Jurist, IX District: Tell be about this Ito fellow, I've not met him.

Administrative Aide: Quite well liked, I understand. A real workhorse. Very neat printing and makes some mean green tea from what I hear.

Judge Wopner, Aministrative Jurist, IX District: Ito....Ito...that's not...well you know?

Administrative Aide: Jewish?

Judge Wopner, Aministrative Jurist, IX District: Oh, no, no, no. I meant...well...never mind. Nobody wants that duty anyway. Samoa, Baker Island, Midway. Everyone of is afraid of Jap subs or flying. Let's go over case loads. How about Lonagan v. Lilly Pharmaceuticals?

Administrative Aide: Sir, I don't think that is a very good idea.....

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7367
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/23/2012 4:49:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I got roped into a golf tournament today and I haven't played in a year.

The good news is it is raining lightly. Maybe they will cancel.....never mind...just looked it up. A minimum of two golfers have to get hit by lightning before they cancel. I suppose it is too late for lessons? If that idiot with the video camera is at the tournament again I am going to feign a seizure or something.

this reminds me of the Lee Trevino's advice on lightning (he was hit at least once).

"If it ever looks like lightning just take out your 2 iron and hold it high above your head. You will be safe because even God can't hit a 2 iron."

Post #: 7368
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/23/2012 5:52:26 PM   
witpqs

Are those lessons on getting hit by lightning effective?

Post #: 7369
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/24/2012 7:19:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Are those lessons on getting hit by lightning effective?

I tried to sign up but I didn't have a 2 iron.

Misty rain for half the day but no lightning. I crushed a fairway wood about 250 yds right onto the green, 20 feet from the pin. I thought breifly about joining the Senior Tour until I got tired by about the 14th hole and wiffed on a tee shot.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7370
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/24/2012 7:23:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Decoded intelligence communique from Admiral Lord SPrior:

............Speaking of which it looks like JJs moved his planes to Wyndham. Damned unsporting to keep moving around like that..........

Damn strait. 85+ fighters now at Wyndham. 28 bombers at Wyndham.

Post #: 7371
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/24/2012 7:52:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

D-Day minus 3...4...5?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7372
RE: What you can do... - 4/24/2012 8:24:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

What are the stats on the Wyndham airfield? Any planes noted? As this is 7 hexes from Darwin, Naval Attack planes based here would be able to attack shipping in the Darwin hex. The "Western Approaches" sea hex too.

In my previous "dealings" with the Allies in N. Australia and the fighting in and around Darwin and Katherine, Wyndham has been extremely important as a Japanese supply hub. Have you detailed a few units to move West out of Katherine and cut the trail?

Yeah, Cap'n. It's like no one said anything about Wyndham, so I can understand your surprise...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7373
RE: What you can do... - 4/24/2012 8:49:41 PM   
sprior

Lots of careful planning has gone into this operation.

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7374
RE: What you can do... - 4/24/2012 9:19:46 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

What are the stats on the Wyndham airfield? Any planes noted? As this is 7 hexes from Darwin, Naval Attack planes based here would be able to attack shipping in the Darwin hex. The "Western Approaches" sea hex too.

In my previous "dealings" with the Allies in N. Australia and the fighting in and around Darwin and Katherine, Wyndham has been extremely important as a Japanese supply hub. Have you detailed a few units to move West out of Katherine and cut the trail?

Yeah, Cap'n. It's like no one said anything about Wyndham, so I can understand your surprise...

Welll...yeah...but they don't have to try so hard. After all, we are just trying to take back what was ours in the first place....well at least after we stole it from the Aboriginals.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7375
RE: What you can do... - 4/24/2012 9:21:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

What about that crazy Rottweiler two houses down? You don't think he will be up by then?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7376
RE: What you can do... - 4/25/2012 5:10:09 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Umm - Mr. Lord Admiral Sprior Sir - I don't think the quote is exactly "Cry havoc, and let slip the cats of war!"

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7377
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/25/2012 8:23:31 AM   
sanch

quote:

Misty rain for half the day but no lightning. I crushed a fairway wood about 250 yds right onto the green, 20 feet from the pin. I thought breifly about joining the Senior Tour until I got tired by about the 14th hole and wiffed on a tee shot.

Yep, been there. I'll be about 3 over after a bunch of holes and then I'll take a wretched 10. I tell the wife "I remain in no danger of showing up on Sunday afternoon television".

The good news is I don't have to worry if my shirt is wrinkled.

Post #: 7378
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/25/2012 2:28:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

quote:

Yep, been there. I'll be about 3 over after a bunch of holes and then I'll take a wretched 10. I tell the wife "I remain in no danger of showing up on Sunday afternoon television".

The good news is I don't have to worry if my shirt is wrinkled.

My favorite golfism is to let someone really ardent about the game overhear me telling a buddy "It was OK, I shot a 62." - PAUSE - "Did even better on the back 9."

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 7379
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/25/2012 2:51:07 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Dec. 24, 1942(c), Christmas Eve Day, you know not Christmas Day, the day before but the sun is up so it's not night yet*********

Darwin: The mine field East of Bathurst clearing goes well. We don't lose a single vessel. Nice well-coordinated B-17 raid on Darwin. We dent up a bunch of Tojos on the ground, although some Beauforts are sacrificed in a sweep. We salute you, oh brave lads on a one-way mission (one made it back and is likely to be a bit hot under the collar)

Afternoon Air attack on Darwin , at 76,124

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 27,500 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 15
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 15

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIc x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter VIc: 3 destroyed

And the 17's. I love these babies. Quite a few stayed home. Not all the same Air HQ yet.

Afternoon Air attack on Darwin , at 76,124

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 15
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 15

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 12
B-17F Fortress x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed, 13 damaged
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
B-17F Fortress: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 21

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/25/2012 3:32:37 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7380
Page:   <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI