Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Off Topic. About Other Games.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 3:52:04 AM   
KnighHawk

Fyi if you want to watch a video cast of Endless Space - alpha check this out from eddy vegas - 2hour preview from tonight (more casting to come tomorrow).
Looks really sweet, very DW'ish as well, I may pick it up on steam tonight.   Same casting guy that turned me on to DW-L.

http://www.twitch.tv/eddyvegasgames/b/317043185

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 61
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 4:14:03 AM   
Kayoz

2h 42m 20s?!?

I couldn't stand 5 minutes of that verbal diarrhea. The guy talks a lot, but says nothing.

I'd rather spend 2 hours listening to Tony Robbins, or possibly a compilation of Jedward performances. I'd probably get more enjoyment and more useful information from those, than this Eddie Vegas twonk.

(in reply to KnighHawk)
Post #: 62
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 6:02:17 AM   
Blueberry

Firstly, thanks for the heads up with regard to Endless Space. Never heard of it before, will surely play it as soon as it gets properly released. I don't get much free time to surf the net for some data about the games.

Indeed, I most definitely think that these are very interesting times for 4x genre as it seems, in my humble opinion, of course, that true space strategy gaming is being revisited once again. Endless Space looks neat. Star Ruler is a very, very, good game, especially with the latest patching and the uber Galactic Armory mod. We all know Distant worlds and any new expansions/patches coming from the developers are only going to make it even more attractive.

I bought Skyrim, invested over 50 hours on it without completing it. Purchased Legends, gave up on Skyrim and started playing Legends. Purchased ME3, played it... had the misfortune to complete it and see what was meant to be 'the end'. Went back to continue Skyrim... bought Star Ruler, stopped playing Skyrim and currently enjoying Star Ruler. I will eventually complete Skyrim... if only I can remember what it was all about.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 63
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 6:42:18 AM   
J HG T

The Endless space definetly isn't anything wholly new and unique. It's pretty much traditional turn-based 4X with great visuals, and that's totally fine by me. Also, many of its features aren't finished in the current alpha (obviously) so I wouldn't jump into any conclusions about how they work in the full game.
Anyways, that's just my personal opinion. I will definetly be waiting for the full game.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 64
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 10:57:36 AM   
adamsolo

Till now Endless Space combat seems to be the most new and unique thing in the game. And probably for that it is being criticized. It's normal. New things, different from status quo and people get skeptical. I'm included.

But, after playing a bit more and a bit more battles I'm slowly reaching the conclusion that ES combat problem may be on of direction only after all. We just need to have more control on the camera. We need to be the movie director :) Now it's too distracting to watch.

But no, nothing really new besides combat. But, you could add that this is the best looking 4X game ever perhaps, that also counts as new I guess. And the fact that it looks very deep, solid and cohesive also. What do I mean with this? Deep in the sense that there's lots of things to do, different layers for system and planetary management and deep enough tech tree for example (at least it looks that way). Solid because the UI is very strong, the mechanics are what you would expect from a traditional TBS space 4X game. It's the complete space TBS 4X package. And cohesive because factions seem to be charismatic enough and you can already start feeling immersed in the game's lore, mostly due to visuals right now perhaps, the factions traits and heroes. The UI art style also helps achieving this cohesiveness.

SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 65
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 12:20:07 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812
Hmmmn.............so Star Ruler or Endless space?

Endless Space. It's the more fun of the two, even as an alpha. Might be just a personal thing, though.. the Star Ruler mechanics are OK but the game just seems to have no personality at all to me. I found it a chore to play. Endless Space looks like a winner, although its early days. Very polished for an 'alpha', it's that rather than a beta due to stuff they haven't included yet more than anything else. What's there actually seems to work properly, or at least without any show-stoppers, and it's far better than SotS2 was on release already (not that that is difficult).

Currently playing that, and am halfway through 'Alan Wake'. Also dabbling with A Valley without Wind (from the guy who did AI War) and Tribes Ascend (at which I am absolutely cr*p) while waiting for CoH with bated breath and nervous wallet.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 5/4/2012 12:21:01 PM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 66
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 2:18:34 PM   
ilovestrategy

Lord of the Rings Online(my 5th year),still Ultima 6, Skyrim(about 200 hours in) and still at Storm over the Pacific.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 67
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 10:00:11 PM   
KnighHawk

quote:

Kayoz

Too each their own, though you certainly haven't provided anything useful.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 68
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 10:56:01 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

2h 42m 20s?!?

I couldn't stand 5 minutes of that verbal diarrhea. The guy talks a lot, but says nothing.

I'd rather spend 2 hours listening to Tony Robbins, or possibly a compilation of Jedward performances. I'd probably get more enjoyment and more useful information from those, than this Eddie Vegas twonk.

quote:

video cast of Endless Space

The "Endless..." says it all for the video.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 69
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/5/2012 1:10:07 AM   
Wolfe1759

Just got Endless Space alpha today and having a lot of fun with it.

ES Alpha is already more polished and playable than SOTS2 the game it seems to be most likened to even though the later has had 6+ months of post release patching.

In fact with 2 hours of play under my belt so far I would probably go as far as saying that even though it is labeled as an Alpha it is pretty much as playable as Distant Worlds or Armada on their initial release.

For a shorter (30 mins) overview video have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM1AFpN6rh4&feature=g-all-u

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 70
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/5/2012 1:13:39 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Just got Endless Space alpha today and having a lot of fun with it.

ES Alpha is already more polished and playable than SOTS2 the game it seems to be most likened to even though the later has had 6+ months of post release patching.

In fact with 2 hours of play under my belt so far I would probably go as far as saying that even though it is labeled as an Alpha it is pretty much as playable as Distant Worlds or Armada on their initial release.

For a shorter (30 mins) overview video have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM1AFpN6rh4&feature=g-all-u

Thanks for the shorter video. I will try that.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 71
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/5/2012 2:51:00 AM   
Vasquez

Besides Achtung Panzer:

Crusader Kings II (loving it) and Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars (the Multiplayer DLC).

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 72
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/5/2012 12:37:29 PM   
martok

Speaking of other 4x titles...  

StarDrive has finally signed a publishing deal with Iceberg Interactive (read the announcement here), and have also revamped their website.  I'm very much looking forward to this one as well! 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Vasquez)
Post #: 73
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/6/2012 2:08:19 PM   
Sarissofoi

It is almost like GC2.
Similar tech system similar development system and SIMILAR BATTLE SYSTEM.
Which sucks. A LOT.
Its is double trinity missles/beams/kinetic vs chafs/shields/deflectors. With the same logistic fleets system. Plus hero and some paper scizzors and stone game.
Simple and shallow ship designs. No tactical combat. Limited planetary development. Limited at start diplomacy options.
IT IS NOT MoO succesor.
Just some bastard from GC2 bed.

Overall game look solid and work well. No CTD it work smooth even if it is alpha in name.
Compared to some garbage SotS2 it work and it is fully playable.
Although AI have some issues but it is alpha stage.

It will be propably good game but not great.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 74
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/9/2012 9:57:48 AM   
Facedrop

Thanks to Abraxis, I've now been spending all of my gaming time on the little gem that is Aurora.
By far the most complicated 4X I've had the pleasure of playing, yet everything you do in that game feels so very rewarding.
I highly recommend it.

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 75
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/9/2012 10:01:18 AM   
fvianello

Hegemony Gold, wars of ancient greece. Very good.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 76
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI