Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this game worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> The War Room >> Is this game worth it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this game worth it? - 5/16/2012 12:54:26 AM   
Cannon Cocker

I'm currently reading War Plan Orange by Ed Miller. Is this game at all related? Is it worth $45? This site seems rather quiet.

Cannon Cocker
Post #: 1
RE: Is this game worth it? - 5/16/2012 2:38:19 AM   
pmbodkin

Great Book, and it is a great game. I am currently in the midst of a 1 year + e--mail campaign that is most enjoyable.

(in reply to Cannon Cocker)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this game worth it? - 5/16/2012 4:26:06 PM   
Connfire

The book offers some good background, as well as insight and tips that can be applicable to the game.

As for the game itself I've been playing for about 3 years now - for the past year against Pmbodkin above. The AI has its flaws, though it gives you a good taste of the game and makes you want more, which is why many end up getting their fix by playing an opponent via e-mail (PBEM). What I like most about it that it is truly unique - we're not refighting a war that has already been fought once in real life and countless times by countless other games since. Instead we have an in-depth grand strategy game with a bit of alternate history mixed in. The old ships in WWII are new, and the "old ships" in WPO are veterans of WWI, the Spanish-American and Russo-Japanse wars! Finally, the game allows you to create your own scenerios, and has a pretty good database editor, which is why superior player-based content by people like Kirk is still being put out.

These are all reasons why, about 8 years after it was put out, WPO still has a small, but active and loyal following! If you're interested enough to read Miller's book, maybe you ought to give it a shot!

< Message edited by Connfire -- 5/16/2012 4:27:38 PM >

(in reply to pmbodkin)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this game worth it? - 5/18/2012 1:10:53 AM   
Cannon Cocker

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the feedback. I will probably buy this soon. I just need to make time for it first.

My interest in the game & the book are based in a desire to understand the origins of amphibious doctrine and current capability. Most of today's Marines and Sailors have never learned the origins of the amphibious art. Therefore, they haven't a clue as to why an amphibious capability is an essential capability for this maritime nation.

Ciao,

Cannon Cocker

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> The War Room >> Is this game worth it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI