Is this game worth it? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> The War Room

Cannon Cocker -> Is this game worth it? (5/16/2012 12:54:26 AM)

I'm currently reading War Plan Orange by Ed Miller. Is this game at all related? Is it worth $45? This site seems rather quiet.

pmbodkin -> RE: Is this game worth it? (5/16/2012 2:38:19 AM)

Great Book, and it is a great game. I am currently in the midst of a 1 year + e--mail campaign that is most enjoyable.

Connfire -> RE: Is this game worth it? (5/16/2012 4:26:06 PM)

The book offers some good background, as well as insight and tips that can be applicable to the game.

As for the game itself I've been playing for about 3 years now - for the past year against Pmbodkin above. The AI has its flaws, though it gives you a good taste of the game and makes you want more, which is why many end up getting their fix by playing an opponent via e-mail (PBEM). What I like most about it that it is truly unique - we're not refighting a war that has already been fought once in real life and countless times by countless other games since. Instead we have an in-depth grand strategy game with a bit of alternate history mixed in. The old ships in WWII are new, and the "old ships" in WPO are veterans of WWI, the Spanish-American and Russo-Japanse wars! Finally, the game allows you to create your own scenerios, and has a pretty good database editor, which is why superior player-based content by people like Kirk is still being put out.

These are all reasons why, about 8 years after it was put out, WPO still has a small, but active and loyal following! If you're interested enough to read Miller's book, maybe you ought to give it a shot! [8D]

Cannon Cocker -> RE: Is this game worth it? (5/18/2012 1:10:53 AM)

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the feedback. I will probably buy this soon. I just need to make time for it first.

My interest in the game & the book are based in a desire to understand the origins of amphibious doctrine and current capability. Most of today's Marines and Sailors have never learned the origins of the amphibious art. Therefore, they haven't a clue as to why an amphibious capability is an essential capability for this maritime nation.

Ciao,

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI