Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Worst interface ever made?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Achtung Panzer Operation Star >> RE: Worst interface ever made? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/7/2012 5:50:02 AM   
PS Pita

No, CM Normandy or CM2 has the worst interface as well as a clunky, annoying camera,historical inaccuracies, crappy hidden scripted AI and horrid path finding and a bunch of other poor excuses for a so call World war II sim tactical strategy game.

(in reply to KEYSTONE07950)
Post #: 31
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/7/2012 1:40:06 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

quote:

ORIGINAL: PS Pita

No, CM Normandy or CM2 has the worst interface as well as a clunky, annoying camera,historical inaccuracies, crappy hidden scripted AI and horrid path finding and a bunch of other poor excuses for a so call World war II sim tactical strategy game.

Tell us what you really think of Combat Mission.

(in reply to PS Pita)
Post #: 32
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/7/2012 10:00:59 PM   
Bradley62

WOW, what a loser.

(in reply to KEYSTONE07950)
Post #: 33
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/8/2012 12:49:17 AM   
major.pain

Been playing the demo a lot the last couple of days and in all honesty it has a more intuitive interface than CMBN, especially if you were playing them both for the first time. I found you need to keep passing your cursor over all the icons ect while you play to display the tool tips until you know at a glance what all the onscreen icons represent, the thing that pissed me off most has been my Russian Recon Tracks getting stuck behind a twig of a tree and i then have to re route it or it will just keep trying to drive up the tree, not great having to babysit units as they might get stuck, but far better than the CMBN vehicle pathing.
Has anybody bought the game and not like it at all?

(in reply to Bradley62)
Post #: 34
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/8/2012 2:08:57 AM   
Tejszd

About 5 hours played so far and I think I have most things down (at least in battle, strat layer will take a bit more time). Enjoying the game and will get the add ons when available.....

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 35
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/14/2012 12:41:59 PM   
hank

Like some, I'm on the fence with this one. I downloaded a demo several months ago for the prior version. Graphically its awesome. Interface is difficult but my problem with that demo was my machine. I now have a new puter so I'm selectively loading my favorite games and new ones that have peaked my interest.

This one is on the potentials list. (and the price is right)

Those people at Gravisteam are good. I played the demo for Steel Fury, their tank sim for the T34, and it was awesome. Again, my problem then was my old puter. The interface on that game was also challenging.

The graphics for this game are eye popping (imho). I'll soon fall off the fence on this game. Don't know yet which way I'll fall.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 36
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/14/2012 4:30:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: PS Pita

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley62
WOW, what a loser.

No bashing please, if you want to discuss other games and developers, please keep your criticism constructive and civil.

Also, no personal attacks please. Keep things civil.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PS Pita)
Post #: 37
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/14/2012 7:06:58 PM   
princep01

Where pray tell did I find that little useful tidbit? Its in the controls PDF in the same folder as the tactics_manual.Go to the games root directory ,open the docs folder then the support folder and its in there. There is a key board short cut for everything this game does....134 of them in all.

Well 7th CAV....if you have to go thru all this to play a commerical game, I consider the game a collossal failure. I'm not a computer programmer, and simply do not know how to play around with editors and root directories. Nor, I might add, do I want to. But, the point is I should not have to know anything about these things to play a commerical game.

I've managed to master ASL and War in the Pacific along with other games purchased thru Matrix. In none of them have a heard of or experienced interface/manual problems like these. The aforementioned games actually work without me having to do the sort of things you are suggesting.

Based on the comments herein, I will not even open what MIGHT be a pretty good game. I'm sorry I bought it, and will not waste time trying such a failure. I am glad you have the computer skills to overcome these issues and enjoy the product, but it is clear you miss the thrust of the well deserved criticism leveled on this commerical product.

As for Matrix marketing this game, I side with those that criticize them for doing it. This game is clearly not ready for release in the US market. I'll just eat the $40 I paid for this and not worry a bit about it, but no many gamers enjoy the financial blessings I enjoy. Matrix should accept the return of this product and reimburse or credit its customers for this failure.

(in reply to 7thcav)
Post #: 38
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/14/2012 9:49:48 PM   
junk2drive

PrinceP I just read your comment in the AAR that you might give this game a try. I recall that when APK first came out that lots of people couldn't figure it out and that those who did, were really happy with the game. It is unfortunate that this version is still confusing and that the documentation is hidden and cryptic, but isn't it nice to see people helping each other to work it out and find a great game behind the fog?

I wonder (without having tried either game myself) how much of the confusion comes from being ingrained in other game UIs, such as Combat Mission, that it is hard to look at this UI without trying to find a reference to another game.

Hope you find a good game in there.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 39
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 4/14/2012 10:10:43 PM   
xambrium

i learned the controls without any documentation years ago by learning by doing with the russian demo of kharkov43 (the first one).
i dont understand why people have so many problems to learn some basic controls on this engine. If you into it its much better as cm or tow. just ask if you dont understand anything, ther are alot of people out there playing graviteams games since years and glad to help! ("We are a small village and everybody supports the team ")

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 40
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/23/2012 12:37:10 AM   
rockymc

I agree with the original poster. I just bought the game and after hours of trying can only agree the interface is appalling. The lack of manual just makes it so much worse. I can't believe the publisher released this without a decent manual - and why does it have 134 keyboard commands for gods sake? I've played pc games since the 80s and this rates as one of the most inaccessable. They should have warned about the lack of manhual and the difficulty simply trying to operate the game before selling it.

(in reply to Sh*tOnAShingle)
Post #: 41
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/23/2012 4:46:29 PM   
Kanov

I have the original AP:K43.

I've been playing computer games since 1995 and while I agree the interface is a bit odd (Why is the button of the gallery with all the models a tiny little tank hidden between the interface of the main screen???) I don't understand how people can't take time to learn it, what is so hard about it? you move your units and give them the most basic of orders and they execute the best they can, you don't even lock fire command into a unit like Close Combat they do it by themselves! and I don't need to know all 134 commands of everything the game does, only the ones I use like binocs, screenshot and camera navigation. I honestly don't know what is it so hard to learn about this game that makes people want to not play it.

Could the interface be better? YES
Would I stop playing a game because of its ugly interface even though the GAMEPLAY is amazing? NO!

(in reply to rockymc)
Post #: 42
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/23/2012 8:32:37 PM   
GBS

I agree. These complaints are just....well ridiculous. The game is quite easy to learn.

(in reply to Kanov)
Post #: 43
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/23/2012 9:58:00 PM   
Rosseau

I hope PrinceP didn't give up. I looked at it like peeling the layers of an onion and finding all this cool stuff underneath as I fumbled around with the game. Even their sister game Steel Armor, which features FPS controls that are very lifelike. I never do fps, but still enjoy the little touches they've put in the game. And these guys are Russians that are putting some of our sim developers to shame.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 44
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/24/2012 2:37:55 AM   
bairdlander2

Can you please post some tips or explain it to us?I havnt seen any posts where people who know the ui have explained it to the rest of us.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 45
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/24/2012 11:51:07 PM   
Rosseau

Man, I'm no expert. I hate reading manuals and studying hotkey charts, but that's what I did. Also, the graviteam.com website has some helpful posts. However, I am still fumbling, and it is certainly far from intuitive, but it gets easier. There is a tactics manual on the Graviteam site that is also good. There are two manuals I think for Steel Armor. I would consider that one when it gets cheap on GamersGate, which it will again.

I am not expecting the polish of CMBN here. Of course, CMBN with the expansion(s) cost a lot more.

Also, there is a great post or two on that (Flight/Tank) Sim site (darn, forgot the url). An awesome walkthrough of the fps part of Steel Armor, so there has to be some good stuff on APOS there, too, I would think.

< Message edited by rosseau -- 5/24/2012 11:56:55 PM >

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 46
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/25/2012 2:32:59 AM   
bairdlander2

Ok,why cant anyone post in the war room or here how to play this game?

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 47
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/25/2012 3:24:20 AM   
Rosseau

Here's one forum resource, but one has to wade through it for help:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/238/1/Graviteam_Sims.html

Post #: 48
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/25/2012 4:12:19 AM   
bairdlander2

Thanks,I bought it anyway,Im sure I can figure it out

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 49
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/26/2012 5:04:02 AM   
bairdlander2

Took about 30 minutes to figure out.Find it annoying to remember to "de click" after giving an order.Its not that difficult to learn the ui,its realley just the opposite of what most of us are used to.

Post #: 50
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 5/26/2012 8:16:06 PM   
Rosseau

Also, keep an eye on the Graviteam site, as people mentioned a new patch, too. Which is a challenge in itself to install. We can direct you to the forum instructions for patch installation, as it is not intuitive - at all

Post #: 51
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/2/2012 3:08:29 PM   
Redmarkus5

OK. I am starting a new thread now to cover the basics, although I have the Graviteam version, so there are some very minor differences...

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

Post #: 52
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/2/2012 4:37:14 PM   
icebox

Great job redmarkus4. That should help alot of people thats having trouble with the game.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 53
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/2/2012 5:19:22 PM   
danlongman

I have the old one and the new one. They are both really good games but not easy to learn.
We are used to being spoon fed tutorials and I like that myself because I like instant gratification. Fun Now!!
This, however, is not a sign of maturity. Big expectations lead to big disappointments. If it is too easy people would complain.
I wish people would understand the difference between "I do not like this game..." which is your inarguable opinion
and "This game sux dude!!!!" which is neither objective nor helpful. It says more about the commentator than the game.
Another thing, since I am venting, is people commenting on games based on hearsay without even seeing them
"If that game doesn't have the proper name for Napoleon's horse I ain't buying!"
There are some fans out here who only have and play a couple of games but have a lot to say about everything.
cheers

(in reply to icebox)
Post #: 54
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/2/2012 5:45:35 PM   
Redmarkus5

I plus one that.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 55
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/2/2012 5:47:19 PM   
Redmarkus5

However, neither the devs or Matrix have done much to help themselves in this instance. The game is my personal all time favorite, but it IS hard to learn and it's poorly supported in terms of both manual and tutorial.

It's disappointing that more people aren't playing APOS and producing mods and campaigns.

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 6/2/2012 5:48:01 PM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 56
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/2/2012 6:30:57 PM   
danlongman

Thank You redmarkus4. Looking forward to your helpful insights on this game.
BTW your signature quote is not from Einstein. Nobody knows who came up with it and it has been attributed to many thinkers.
It is not a definition of insanity but rather a definition of golf. Remember always..... things have never been more like they are than right now.
cheers

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 57
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/2/2012 7:59:06 PM   
Redmarkus5

Thanks. Can we agree that Einstein uttered the words, even if he didn't invent the phrase?

It is now officially "beer o'clock", so I'm logging off and heading out!

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 58
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/3/2012 2:41:19 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

OK. I am starting a new thread now to cover the basics, although I have the Graviteam version, so there are some very minor differences...

Thanks,though I have learned "basics" Im sure there is a lot more to cover.The game is not a complicated as people say,it realley is easy to learn.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 59
RE: Worst interface ever made? - 6/3/2012 9:19:01 AM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Thanks,though I have learned "basics" Im sure there is a lot more to cover.The game is not a complicated as people say,it realley is easy to learn.

And it's also well worth learning! Few games of this type have given me so much satisfaction.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Achtung Panzer Operation Star >> RE: Worst interface ever made? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI