Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 1:11:05 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I'ts good that we are all reading books, how about Mr. Warspite1 pick a book in which we all will read. Then we will come back and talk about it.

He would need to have the ability to read...

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 121
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 2:20:54 AM   
nelmsm1

Leipzig Campaign 1813 by Colonel Frederic Maude. Had a hankering for some Napoleonic histoty.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 122
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 2:51:14 AM   
JFalk68

I am reading the Horus Heresy novels, about 8 books in.

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 123
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 3:13:53 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: nelmsm

Leipzig Campaign 1813 by Colonel Frederic Maude. Had a hankering for some Napoleonic histoty.

quote:

Leipzig Campaign 1813 by Colonel Frederic Maude

And how is it so far??

Also, do you have any other, good, Napoleonic books to recommend?

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 124
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 4:31:04 AM   
nelmsm1

I'm not far into it yet. It was written in the early 1900's so it's kind of neat to see the direction the intro took comparing the Napoleonic period with the period the author was in. I'm to where he has been going over the Prussian army and it's faults, etc. I picked it up from Amazon on the Kindle for $5.00. I'll take a look at what I've read lately and get back to you on recommendations. I just finished one on the 1814 campaign in France just a bit ago and it was pretty interesting. Of course I was helping playtest the Campaign 1814 game that JTS released today so that helped hold my interest.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 125
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 5:19:55 AM   
AFIntel

Little Ship, Big War by Edward Stafford. It's the history of DE 343 (USS Abercrombie) in the latter half of WWII in the Pacific. The author was an officer on the ship from commissioning to de-commissioning.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 126
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 7:47:18 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

I'ts good that we are all reading books, how about Mr. Warspite1 pick a book in which we all will read. Then we will come back and talk about it.

He would need to have the ability to read...
Warspite1

I think you are thinking of that illiterate Ohioiaoianain nate25

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 127
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 7:52:37 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

I have made a bit of a faux pas and have managed to start three books - all of which are really good. Trouble is finding the time to read and, when I get the time, deciding which one to continue with...too many books, not enough time....

Anyways - at the moment I am reading:

Target London (Christy Campbell) - story of the V1 and V2
German Raiders Of World War II (Agust Karl Muggenthaler) - German auxiliary cruisers of WWII
and OT, but a good read so far - When Genius Failed (Roger Lowenstein) -The failure of Long Term Capital Management in 1998.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 128
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/8/2012 7:35:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

I have made a bit of a faux pas and have managed to start three books - all of which are really good. Trouble is finding the time to read and, when I get the time, deciding which one to continue with...too many books, not enough time....

Anyways - at the moment I am reading:

Target London (Christy Campbell) - story of the V1 and V2
German Raiders Of World War II (Agust Karl Muggenthaler) - German auxiliary cruisers of WWII
and OT, but a good read so far - When Genius Failed (Roger Lowenstein) -The failure of Long Term Capital Management in 1998.
Warspite1

Just finished When Genius Failed - can't rate this highly enough. It's especially interesting because it was written before the Lehman debacle so cannot make reference to those events. But the failure of the giant hedge fund - Long Term Capital Managment - contains much the same elements; greed, but more importantly sheer mind-numbing arrogance - hubris in one word. Many of the players involved in the drama were heavily involved in the Lehman failure and the attempts to rescue the bank in 2008 (superby told in the book Too Big To Fail).

Anyway that's out of the way so I can get back to WWII

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 129
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/8/2012 8:46:11 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

What Book Are You Reading at the moment

RE-READING THE RULES TO THE GAME-TO-END-ALL-CAMPAIGNS-FOR-LORD-PARUSSKIS-DEMISE-&-TRANSFORMATION;
http://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-final-edition/rules-erratas

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 130
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/8/2012 9:47:13 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

What Book Are You Reading at the moment

RE-READING THE RULES TO THE GAME-TO-END-ALL-CAMPAIGNS-FOR-LORD-PARUSSKIS-DEMISE-&-TRANSFORMATION;
http://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-final-edition/rules-erratas

LOL. You will not provoke me.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 131
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/9/2012 1:36:54 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Ambrose wears a pink tutu in a cabaret! Frankenfurter was a better soldier than Eisenhower & Patton put together! Your mama wears your daddies purple underwear!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 132
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/9/2012 1:44:25 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

Ambrose wears a pink tutu in a cabaret! Frankenfurter was a better soldier than Eisenhower & Patton put together! Your mama wears your daddies purple underwear!

BUSY. CoH.

Kiss my fundament.

Busy, playing CoH.

Will kill u later.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 133
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/9/2012 2:41:20 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

"Pathfinder" RPG manual. It didn't fixed all Dungeons & Dragons 3E problems, but I'm still grateful to God that it exists.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 134
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/9/2012 3:36:05 AM   
Perturabo

Airships at War 1914-1941. Probably the most inaccessible wargame manual, ever. It makes me wonder if anyone has ever played that game.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 135
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/14/2012 10:22:51 PM   
warspite1

I suppose I should add Ostkrieg here to as it got lost in another thread. If you are interested in the Eastern Front - BUY THIS BOOK.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 136
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/30/2012 8:12:20 PM   
warspite1

Has anybody read 1421, and if so, opinions/thoughts please?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 137
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/30/2012 10:19:35 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Boardgame rules, catching back up.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 138
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/31/2012 2:37:29 AM   
cpdeyoung

I read two books on the Second World War recently. The first was 'The Storm of War" by Andrew Roberts. This would not be my first pick for a WW2 history, but it does have a feature that might appeal to a war gamer. The author has, as one of his foci a discussion of where the Axis might have made decisions that would have brought them victory. Certainly all of these decision points are familiar to most readers of this forum, but another opinion is interesting. Roberts is careful to show the dark side of the Axis and Soviets, and is careful to show where the West is subject to examination on moral issues also. I think he slips into error, but these are slippery areas. It is not a bad book, but I think there are better.

The second is "The End" by Ian Kershaw. It is fun to start a book where the first two words are "The End". Kershaw deals with the war in Europe from July 1944, just after the attempt on Hitler's life. This is probably not your favorite part of the Second World War, but this book is well worth reading. Kershaw wants to explore why the German nation fought on despite there being no real chance of victory. He shows how horrible the last year of the war was for everyone, but especially Germany, and examines the mechanisms that allowed the battle to continue. I thought his analysis excellent and really, really appreciated this book. Not a military history as such, although it has enough military structure to make the analysis explicable. I highly recommend this book. It is so nice to see a book which is well organized and cogent. If you decide to read this, or have already read it I would like to know what you think of it.

Chuck

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 139
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/3/2012 10:51:45 PM   
Orm

I am reading books I read as a youth. At the moment I am at Fear Is the Key by Alistair MacLean.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/3/2012 10:52:00 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 140
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/4/2012 2:55:35 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Assignment in Utopia
http://www.amazon.com/Assignment-Utopia-Eugene-Lyons/dp/0837144973

quote:

This 1937 publication is an invaluable eye-witness account of the realities of Communism in the Soviet Union during the early 1930s as Stalin was directing the Soviet Union into a dark period of collectivization, state-engineered famine, show trials, and terror (Lyons also just happened to be in Berlin on the way through just as Hitler was taking power in Germany in January 1933, no doubt a frightening experience for a young leftist Jewish intellectual). Lyons wrote this book to expose the realities of what was happening in the USSR to leftist and liberal readers in the United States who, while not Communists, were inclined to be sympathetic to a "progressive" workers' state at a time when the American economy remained mired in the depths of the Great Depression.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 141
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 6:35:28 PM   
warspite1

Robert Harris - The Fear Index. All very good - typical Harris fare, well written, well paced and difficult to put down..... until the end....which was something of a let down

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 142
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 6:58:09 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Theodor Mommsen's History of Rome, book IV (almost done with it and then book V)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 143
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 7:03:55 PM   
Orm

Michael Tamelander - Malta : Kriget i Medelhavet 1940-1942. A stonkig good read.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 144
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 7:26:03 PM   
parusski

quote:

Robert Harris - The Fear Index. All very good - typical Harris fare, well written, well paced and difficult to put down..... until the end....which was something of a let down

Recently listened to the audio book version and it was hard to stop listening.

Last night started reading Russia Against Napoleon: The True Story of the Campaigns of War and Peace, by Dominic Lieven.

This morning I began the audio book City of Thieves, David Benioff

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 145
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 7:38:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Were you disappointed with the ending too?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 146
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 8:18:54 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Were you disappointed with the ending too?

There are certainly flaws in the book. I was disappointed Harris did not further explore the ethics of artificial intelligence. The biggest problem is there is no explanation of why Alex was set up. Also, Harris used tech-speak as tension...that does not work. The reason I did not want to stop listening was because I thought he would, at some point, explain things.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 147
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 8:26:21 PM   
warspite1

Have you read any of his other stuff? I have read - and really enjoyed - Fatherland, Enigma, Pompeii and Archangel.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 148
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 8:35:13 PM   
parusski

quote:

Have you read any of his other stuff? I have read - and really enjoyed - Fatherland, Enigma, Pompeii and Archangel.

quote:

Enigma

Read and enjoyed those plus Conspirata.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 149
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 9:16:03 PM   
JamesM

"The Second World War", by Anthony Beevor and I am finding it a thoroughly engrossing read. I am only a third of the way through but from what I read I thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI