Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing of the Guard

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Changing of the Guard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing of the Guard - 12/4/2002 6:20:37 AM   
Wild Bill

Nothing is forever in this life. There comes a time when the "mantle" is passed from one to another.

This is also true in this magnificent hobby of wargaming. Over 14 years ago I entered this world. From many years of incessant board gaming, I became enthralled with the possibilities of the same experience but now with a computer.

Over five years ago, I began a group called "Wild Bill's Raiders." From small beginnings and with the help of David Heath and a host of individuals who rallied to the call, the Raider Team has grown to more than 30 individuals in support of four top-notch wargames.

The Raiders have been (and will continue to be) involved in the development of some eight wargames and produced hundreds of scenarios, campaigns and maps for these games.

The Raider organization is solid. We have some of the best wargamers in the world playing an active role as Raiders.

But now the time has come for me to step down from the administrative aspects of the group as the original and current leader. Thus I am advising you that Mr. Neil Stalker, an experienced gamer, top-notch historical writer and webpage guru to take over that position. As of this note, official command of the Wild Bill's Raiders passes to Neil.

I congratulate Neil for taking this most serious post. His credentials and skills are beyond question. I have not the slightest doubt but that Neil will do a great job in keeping the Raider standard of excellence alive and well.

Let it be known that I am not leaving the gaming community! That is important!

I will continue as Senior Advisor to the Raiders. But age, time and health require that I step down from the position I have loved so much.

Finally, I want to say thank you. Thanks to all the gamers who have offered constructive criticism, who have stood with me in the crunch and who have steadfastly supported our efforts. You folks have made the thousands of hours invested in this effort more than worthwhile.

And to my Raiders, what can I say? If there was ever a team effort, this has been one. From each team captain to every Raider who has ever served, you have my eternal gratitude.

The Raiders will go on. By unanimous vote, the name "Wild Bill's Raiders" will continue. For that honor I am grateful. Look for bigger and better things from this Raider Team in the months to come.

Of course, I'm still around, just taking it a little slower. I'm accessible as I have always been to each and everyone of you.

Raiders Up!
"In Arduis Fidelis" - Faithful in Adversity

Wild Bill Wilder

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 12/4/2002 6:29:53 AM   
Goblin

I am not sure what to say! Just that I MUST say something.

-First, Thank You. For everything, and thats a HUGE category when it comes to you.

-Second, congrats to Neil! If you trust him as Top Dog, so do we.

-Third, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Fourth, I still dunno what to say, and am sure others are feeling the same way. :(

Goblin- A Goblin is sad :(

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 12/4/2002 6:34:41 AM   
Don Doom

Enjoy your retirement. SIR

You will be miss Herr Kurnel!!!:(

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 12/4/2002 6:35:05 AM   
Bing

I'll take a crack at it: Wild Bill has given as much to gaming as anyone i know. Some people just take, some give a little, Bill has devoted his time, energy and considerable talent to a sector of gaming he obviously loves a great deal.

I also count Bill as a friend and Bill: Don't be a stranger.

Congratos to Neil, I am sure he will do a fine job.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 12/4/2002 6:40:53 AM   
slehtine

First, congratulations to Neil Stalker. Raider's are an elite group.

And to you, Wild Bill, thank you. You have done great job. Good luck with your new status.

I sincerely hope to see you around these boards in future.

[QUOTE]-Third, !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

Echo that.

-Sasa

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
Paying My Humble Respects - 12/4/2002 8:47:51 AM   
Irinami

"Wild Bill" Wilder:

I thank you for everything. You are in my prayers for your continued health. Everyone is given a calling in this life. Most are given many. I am sure that one of your callings was to memorialize those who gave the better part of their lives--or especially, those who paid the ultimate price--on all sides in the preservation of freedom and liberty. Another, parallel to that, was to re-moralize those who serve in the armed forces of all freedom-loving nations.

In these pursuits you have succeeded beyond my measures to explain. In your own way you have taught many to take the battle beyond numbers and into people. In your own way, via leading us through the battles you have (re)created, you have given the civilians a taste of warfare, the soldiers the chance to make a difference in those battles; beyond this, our victories and defeats in these pixel battlefields have--I should hope for most of us--when the numbers come up, they have shown us the terrible cost of war. Without dwelling on gruesome specifics, anyone who has played in your battles should leave with some small understanding of the horror of every event in battle... and thus a deeper understanding of the great gift our forebearers have given us in their service to our peace-loving nations.

Should I go to war, I could think of only a few better ways to show my children what I went through out of love for them than a Wild Bill scenario. After my stories and the stories of my friends, it is the closest I would want them to be to it... and I [I]would[/I] want them to be that close (but no closer).

Thank you again, Mister Wilder. You have brought me to an even closer and better understanding and love of our servicemen (and women) and veterans than what I already had. You've done for wargaming and interactive history what R. Lee Ermey has done for the USMC.

Hats off and salutes to you all around.
--Mark "Irinami" Withers

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 12/4/2002 9:38:16 AM   
M4Jess

:( you are my hero :(

I will say that 5-6 years ago I sent you a sp2 scen...in return you sent me a 50 line "fill this out form"

:D

man you pissed me off that day....:cool:

from then on...I wanted to be just like you..

I could not...can not...

But you taught me to be....Well....good...even better than good...your scens are a bible for me.. your example tells all of us that we are a family!

2 of the years we have talked I have been sick..you huged me...

and I for one... will follow Mr. Neil Stalker, as I followed you

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 12/4/2002 9:48:42 AM   
Gallo Rojo

Y el viejo Guille el Salvaje se fue cavalgando hacia el poniente, tocando el banjo.
Saludos

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 12/4/2002 10:33:25 AM   
Hades

I too must say thankyou for all the great things you've done for the wargamer community.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 12/4/2002 12:01:36 PM   
troopie

Wild Bill,

Before you retire we have to have a boozy virtual dinner for you. We'll break out the regimental silver, get Sixpence and Rajah to cook, and tell stories of your wisdom, heroism, and sacrifice over the champagne.

Friends, Here's to Wild Bill Wilder! Enjoy your retirement!

All die beste.

troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 12/4/2002 1:53:36 PM   
degen

Wild Bill-

I know this was a difficult step for you to take. You have been a driving force behind this great game and the community is greatful for all you have done. Thanks for all your insights, tips, feedback, and great scenarios and campaigns. Hopefully, we will still see some of this from you, but I understand the need for you to reduce your involvement.

Neil, you have big shoes to fill, but if Wild Bill picked you, then I have faith that you will do well.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
Arrivederci Papà - 12/4/2002 4:29:29 PM   
ruxius

[SIZE=3]
DADDY WB !!!!!!!!

"Caro Papà Wbill, poche persone al mondo riescono ad entrare nei ricordi della gente per rimanerci sempre...Ognuno di noi conserverà sempre un piccolo pezzo di Te gelosamente custodito nel cuore...quello che hai saputo dare a questo gioco non ha un prezzo ma si misura in qualcosa di impercettibile: hai fatto di questo forum e di questo gioco una seconda casa per noi...hai dato un volto e un nome al tempo e alle speranze che abbiamo riposto qui...come non ricordare le centinaia di post scritte la sera tardi perchè sapevamo di parlare con Qualcuno ? e a ogni domanda sei riuscito a dare sempre una risposta...la solida carezza di un padre insieme alla sua autorevole presenza..solo il tuo vero Amore per questo gioco ha potuto farci sentire a casa...hai fondato uno Stile e una Leggenda con anni di passione...la stessa che abbiamo sempre condiviso per questo meraviglioso wargame..la stessa che ora anima un pugno di tuoi figli !
ora che ci lasci non mancherà il mio affettuoso Saluto !
Finchè Spwaw avrà vita..finchè non saremo sconfitti dal tempo che non dà tregua...
[SIZE=4]NOI non ti dimenticheremo PapàWB !!!"[/SIZE]

Francesco
(I couldn't write this in english..it wouldn't be the same...sorry)

There is a place deep inside our hearts where you can never RETIRE !
That place will be always kept warm for you Daddy !
We will NEVER FORGET YOU wherever life will bring you !
My Salute to you full of two years of passion and full presence !
Your Love for SPWAW is one of the best examples in life of Devotion...what to say more other than
THANK YOU , THANK YOU FOR ALL !
[/SIZE]

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 12/4/2002 4:39:00 PM   
jphamel

Wild BIll,

I dont know what to say,:(

I haven't been around for long, but I have read enough on you to know what you represent to the wargaming community.

My deepest respect.

Congratulation to Neil,

Hopefully you will still be around in the forums here.:D

And may your future bring us many more excellent scenarios;)

Thank you WIld Bill.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 12/4/2002 7:56:50 PM   
Warrior

Old soldiers never die, and in your case they never fade away.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 12/4/2002 9:32:12 PM   
cadmus

Wild Bill ... I have been playing wargames since I first stumbled onto AH's Blitzkrieg back in 1971. And I've stuck with it up through SP:WaW which has become my all-time favorite. Never, in all those 31 years keeping up with the hobby have I come across someone who has so generously given of his time and attention to the wargaming community and those who populate it. For that generosity, wise counsel, unending patience with dumb questions and quietly charismatic leadership in so many areas, all of us who remain in this community owe you more than we can ever express or repay. We can only offer our inadequate thanks for all you have done, our gratitude for developing and fostering the growth of a band of lads who promise fair to carry on the traditions you have established, and tender our fervent wishes for a long, happy, and healthy life.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 12/4/2002 9:46:16 PM   
U2

Hey Wild Bill

You take care now and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do. In short I cant thank you enough for what you have done for wargaming. Hope to see you around on the forums from time to time

Cheers

Dan

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 12/4/2002 11:05:37 PM   
Grenadier

Well, Kunel, all I can do is echo the sentiments of the others here. Like M4 I will never forget the way you treated me when I sent you and Figmo my very first scenario for SPWW2. Your words of encouragement and suggestions have made me the game designer I am today.

I will never forget the thrill of reading the e-mail with your invitation to join the Raiders

I nearly dropped out of the community entirely from my conflict with Marc Bellizi and if it were not for your support I would not be here today.

I will never, ever forget how you recommended my joining the SPWaW Beta team and the time we spent putting out that first version of the game. Your faith in me gave me the strength to be the best I can be and you have shown it many times with your countless recommendations of me to others and your choosing or recommending me to others. I would never have had the opportunity to do my SPWaW magnum opus, "Lost Victories" if it were not for your faith in me.

I will never forget our long telephone conversations and how you stood by me during my personal crisis.

I will never forget our time together in Atlanta, short as it was.

Most of all, I will never forget the inestimable contribution you have made to the wargaming community through the Raiders, The Gaming Network and Matrix Games.

As always,
your faithful Grenadier

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
A salute - 12/4/2002 11:15:25 PM   
Belisarius

I don't think I can write anything that could express my thoughts adequately :(. So;

[SIZE=6]Wild Bill - THANK YOU[/SIZE]. :)

It's comforting to know that you'll be around. I believe that your efforts through these many years will serve as inspiration (and a measure!) for many many years still to come. We common wargamers owe you a LOT.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 12/4/2002 11:52:25 PM   
Huffy

...everyone has said it in many different ways.... again a big thank you for all you have done....and you take care...
Every one hold your beer in the air for a big ...SALUTE !
Huffy

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
Un millón de gracias... - 12/5/2002 6:01:08 AM   
Mikimoto

Querido, admirado y respetado Wild Bill... solo puedo decir Muchas gracias por todo... y mucha suerte, salud y felicidad... por siempre.

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 12/5/2002 6:24:57 AM   
Wild Bill

Ah, my friends! Now what can I say. You move an old codger to tears with such kind sentiments.

I had not only the dream of recreation of moments in history that I wanted to feel personally, but also the idea of many others realizing that they could contribute too.

Involvement is the key to pleasure and fulfillment. Seeing the names of so many of you upon whom I might have had an influence in getting involved deeper into the hobby is a true fulfillment of a deep seated goal.

I recognize and remember each of you. I can remember letters, notes, ideas, suggestions, requests or some other area where our lives crossed.

I hope this does not sound arrogant. I don't mean it that way. But seeing a host of new and enthusiastic gamers, deeply involved in the hobby is what I feel is my greatest contribution to the hobby.

And without your stalwart support, advice, suggestions and encouragement, old Wild Bill would not be where he is today. So now my thanks to all of you!

And yes, I will continue but in more of a creative role. Got lots of ideas for battles and scenarios. Now I can do them! So get ready!

Y a mis colegas del habla espanola, mis agradecimientos mas profundos! Somos un ejercitio internacional y victoriosos en todo!

And just so you know, Francesco, I did understand most of your message in italiano! Agradecido!

Good hunting, my friends! There are so many great things ahead for wargamers!

Thanks to you all...Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 12/5/2002 6:38:56 AM   
M4Jess

[SIZE=4]<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>[/SIZE]

:D To my friend :D

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
Thank You - 12/5/2002 6:48:57 AM   
Neil Stalker

I would like to thank Bill for his patience and his genorisity in sharing his knowledge. I have learnt a lot from you mate and I hope to pass it on and use it in the coming years.

I have only been actively wargaming for a relatively short time and designing games in SP and SB for an even shorter time. I will always be learning and I think that is the secret of any good commander or wargamer you never stop learning.

Thank you for the mentoring you have done with so many and the continuing active role you will take in producing some of the best scenarios around.

I do not take on the role of CO Wild Bill Raider's lightly and I can promise everyone I will do my level best to continue in Bill's shoes. I am lucky in having a great team of blokes who are dedicated and hardworking without them the whole Raider's tradition would come to nought.

Neil "Dingo" Stalker
CO Wild Bill's Raiders

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 12/5/2002 6:49:56 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill
[B]

And yes, I will continue but in more of a creative role. Got lots of ideas for battles and scenarios. Now I can do them! So get ready!

Thanks to you all...Wild Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

You make 'em and we'll play 'em:)

Oh yes, eventhough we've only crossed path once before I still remember it to this day. Your warmth and friendliness is why:) (Hall of Heroes forum)

Cheers

Dan

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 12/5/2002 6:57:24 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]-Second, congrats to Neil! If you trust him as Top Dog, so do we. [/B][/QUOTE]

Goblin

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
Salute! - 12/5/2002 9:30:03 AM   
sg

Moving slow...
good tactics...
then.....

[SIZE=3]BLAM!!![/SIZE]
Darn Land Mines!!!

You do it to me every time.... so don't stop now!
Have some well deserved R & R Sir, but keep those creative juices flowing.

Steve.

"****, we're in a tight spot!"
Ulysses Everett McGill.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 12/5/2002 1:06:18 PM   
Wild Bill

You got it fellas. A red hot one coming out in two weeks on the Raider HQ page. Welcome the Aussies to the war!

These are some "Tough Mates."

And guess what, SG? NO LAND MINES!

But :eek:

Get ready for a fight!

It should be out on Raider HQ Page December 20th.

Oh, and you better grab those SPWAW Bulge scenarios already there before they disappear!

http://www.militarygameronline.com/raiders/

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 12/11/2002 9:10:02 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill
[B]
I hope this does not sound arrogant. I don't mean it that way. But seeing a host of new and enthusiastic gamers, deeply involved in the hobby is what I feel is my greatest contribution to the hobby.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I think that says it all: you've given so much and only wish to take the satisfaction that others enjoy your work. I think the fact that you've infected many with this spirit is your greatest accomplishment...a true leader.

Thanks for everything Bill

Jim NSB

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 12/11/2002 9:39:11 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B]

I think that says it all: you've given so much and only wish to take the satisfaction that others enjoy your work. I think the fact that you've infected many with this spirit is your greatest accomplishment...a true leader.

Thanks for everything Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, what he said!

Goblin- A Goblin admires a good quote;)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Changing of the Guard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI