Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2012 9:47:52 PM   
warspite1

Whoops - I think this thread is turning into the Music thread.... time to get it back on track.

Anybody read Hitler and Stalin - Parrallel Lives - by Bullock?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 241
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2012 9:55:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Whoops - I think this thread is turning into the Music thread.... time to get it back on track.

No. But I suppose that you can reccomend it since you mentioned it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 242
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2012 9:58:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

No. But I suppose that you can reccomend it since you mentioned it.
Warspite1

Yep - I 've read it twice - a brilliant book! the author writes a bit about each one after the other (e.g. in five year or so segments) and then moves on to the next phase, repeating the formula.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 243
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/3/2012 3:44:16 AM   
fodder

quote:

Funny, I saw this and it suddenly popped into my head that I do not own a single book that has as its main subject Hitler or Stalin. I have been collecting books on the second world war and warfare in general for almost forty years now. I own and have read hundreds of them, includeing titles like, Mussolini: A Study In Power or Tojo: The Last Banzai. But in all these years I have never had the desire to read about Hitler or Stalin directly. Don't think I ever will.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 244
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/3/2012 3:58:56 AM   
bairdlander2

the bible

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 245
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/3/2012 5:01:58 AM   
danlongman

Bux r 4 them peeps what don't no ever thin yet and got no tv

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 246
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/4/2012 1:16:56 AM   
sabre1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

the bible

Perfect

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

Post #: 247
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/4/2012 9:21:17 AM   
saso777

Bag of Bones from Stephen King. Creepy.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 248
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/4/2012 2:31:24 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

the bible

Which translation?

Post #: 249
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/4/2012 6:08:13 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: fodder

quote:

Funny, I saw this and it suddenly popped into my head that I do not own a single book that has as its main subject Hitler or Stalin. I have been collecting books on the second world war and warfare in general for almost forty years now. I own and have read hundreds of them, includeing titles like, Mussolini: A Study In Power or Tojo: The Last Banzai. But in all these years I have never had the desire to read about Hitler or Stalin directly. Don't think I ever will.

ALL my WW2 books are either orders of battle, statistical or have color plates of uniforms worn by the combatants. No biographies or war stories. Just the facts.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 250
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/4/2012 6:23:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

quote:

ALL my WW2 books are either orders of battle, statistical or have color plates of uniforms worn by the combatants. No biographies or war stories. Just the facts.
Warspite1

What's your real name - Joe Friday? We want the facts mam, just the facts

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 251
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/4/2012 6:25:26 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

What's your real name - Joe Friday? We want the facts mam, just the facts

That popped into my head right after I typed that too.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 252
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/4/2012 9:08:41 PM   
shunwick

Currently reading Defeat Into Victory by Bill Slim. Was given that as a birthday present last year. Read it once and now enjoying it again.

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 253
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/5/2012 1:59:27 AM   
Hanal

Well for me the summer is for rather lighter fare and spurred by the HBO series, I'm now into the third book of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. This has been one helluva compelling read and after finishing a chapter recently, I put my ebook down and simply said "Wow"! Then I reflected on how many years I devoted to reading Jordan's crap while bypassing this masterpiece!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 254
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/7/2012 8:41:33 PM   
warspite1

British Battleships 1919-45 arrived today. Wow - what a great book! Tons of line drawings, photos, stats etc. STONKING

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 255
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/7/2012 10:18:51 PM   
Challerain

In my opinion, kind of like Jordan, Martin's stuff has gone downhill with the latest installments.

Currently reading A Blaze of Glory: A Novel of the Battle of Shiloh by Jeff Shaara.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 256
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/7/2012 10:31:16 PM   
parusski

quote:

A Blaze of Glory: A Novel of the Battle of Shiloh by Jeff Shaa

I just finished listening to the audio version and it was very good.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 257
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/8/2012 12:19:01 AM   
ilovestrategy

Starfleet Battles Rules books. I have an entire shelf of them. Great cure for insomnia.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 258
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/8/2012 2:46:16 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Well for me the summer is for rather lighter fare and spurred by the HBO series, I'm now into the third book of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. This has been one helluva compelling read and after finishing a chapter recently, I put my ebook down and simply said "Wow"! Then I reflected on how many years I devoted to reading Jordan's crap while bypassing this masterpiece!

Same here, JP Falcon. I just finished the third book (Storm of Swords)-it was an excellent one. Started on the fourth last week. This is one of the best fantasy series I've read and a delightful way to perk up an otherwise (IMO) stuffy genre.

I too was spurred into the books by the series and my wife's repeated suggestions that we watch them.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 259
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/8/2012 3:11:13 AM   
jwilkerson

Dreadnought by Massie ... this is about my sixth read ... of probably my favorite book ...

==

Shattered Sword does not work for me ... probably due to "technical" reasons. I was in a PhD military history program at KU for several semesters (before the economy drove me back to the work force) ... I think the "amateur" aspects of the book pound too hard in my head. I do not think the primary points in the thesis are proven. But also I do not think calling Fuchida a "liar" is what professional historians do (a Naval Officer who was present). Professional historians present their data and let the readers decide - they do not need to engage in name calling - this is decidedly unprofessional in my book. I presented this aspect of SS to my class at KU and there was 100% agreement with my position. I will not say there is no value to the book - but it is not in my "recommendable" column.
I realize others have different opinions. I grant them the right to their opinions - if they grant me the right to mine .

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 260
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/8/2012 6:26:53 AM   
Walloc

Yesterday i started reading

Defending Fortress Europe: The War Diary of the German 7th Army, 6 June-26 July 1944" by Mark J. Reardon

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 261
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/8/2012 8:21:28 AM   
british exil

Just bought the "Game of Thrones" books. I will use my August summer holidays to read all of them. I hope! I hope that the Olympic games don't interefere.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 262
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/8/2012 12:28:13 PM   
Fred98

"Charles Kingsford-Smith" by Peter Fitzsimons.

Smithy was a WW1 pilot, pioneer avaitor and the world's greatest pilot before WW2.

It also covers all the other pioneer avaitors.

Easy to read.

Great book!

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 263
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/9/2012 10:02:18 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Dreadnought by Massie ... this is about my sixth read ... of probably my favorite book ...

==

Shattered Sword does not work for me ... probably due to "technical" reasons. I was in a PhD military history program at KU for several semesters (before the economy drove me back to the work force) ... I think the "amateur" aspects of the book pound too hard in my head. I do not think the primary points in the thesis are proven. But also I do not think calling Fuchida a "liar" is what professional historians do (a Naval Officer who was present). Professional historians present their data and let the readers decide - they do not need to engage in name calling - this is decidedly unprofessional in my book. I presented this aspect of SS to my class at KU and there was 100% agreement with my position. I will not say there is no value to the book - but it is not in my "recommendable" column.
I realize others have different opinions. I grant them the right to their opinions - if they grant me the right to mine .

Interesting. That's a perspective on the book I have not yet heard. According to part of the blurb over at Amazon.com it's cited by Proceedings as one of its "Notable Naval Books" for 2005. Of course it doesn't say in what way it's "notable" but I would think Proceedings would be a good recomendation of a book. ON a side note: didn't the authors of Shattered Sword have some affiliation with the website Combined Fleet.com? Anyway, thanks for your take on the book Mr. Wilkerson. It's nice to have a Ph.D perspective on it.

Any plans to finish your Ph.D in the near future?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 264
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/9/2012 10:30:30 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

"Game of Thrones"

"A Song of Ice and Fire". "A Game of Thrones" is just the first book and the TV series.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 7/9/2012 10:56:32 PM >

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

Post #: 265
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/9/2012 10:51:35 PM   
british exil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

"Game of Thrones"

Song of Ice and Fire. Game of Thrones is just the first book and the TV series.

I thought it was just easier to say "game of Thrones" as most people I know just call it that way. Bought the boxed series so all 7 books are ready to be read.

Just got to wait for the holidays.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 266
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/10/2012 4:42:02 AM   
histgamer

"Open" by Andre Agassi.

Post #: 267
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/10/2012 10:19:03 AM   
Hanal

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

"Game of Thrones"

Song of Ice and Fire. Game of Thrones is just the first book and the TV series.

I thought it was just easier to say "game of Thrones" as most people I know just call it that way. Bought the boxed series so all 7 books are ready to be read.

Just got to wait for the holidays.

Mat

I think a couple of those books are not part of the series but are his other works as he his currently writing book 6.

I will say that an earlier poster mentioned how Martin's storytelling started to decline like Jordan's as this series evolved. I am starting to get that impression a bit as book 4 starts introducing new elements that I'm not finding very interesting. If Martin follows the Jordon route and simply starts padding the story in order to milk the cash teat for all it's worth, then I will be very disappointed.

Post #: 268
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/10/2012 12:52:07 PM   
undercovergeek

but that last two books have 2 parts - so its 'story number 6' hes writing now but in terms of books on the shelf theres more than 6

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 269
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/10/2012 2:15:04 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Amen on ICE and FIRE. I have not only read all five books in the series but I have listened to each unabridged audiobook. Unbeatable stuff indeed.

The HBO series has been great overall, with just a couple of episodes being somewhat of a letdown.

All hail Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. It's as if Dinklage transformed himself into the character.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI