Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/10/2012 2:35:51 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

but that last two books have 2 parts - so its 'story number 6' hes writing now but in terms of books on the shelf theres more than 6

Uh Oh...I smell Jordanesque padding here...I have begun to skim through certain chapters of Book 4 as there are quite a few tedious bits....I won't spoil it for anyone but there is one chapter of a sea voyage which even through a scan was borings as tears (the POV character is a bit annoying as well). I caught one "revelation" in the chapter which had an importance but to get to those two paragraphs, there was alot of boring bits. I'll reserve a final opinion since I throuroughly enjoyed the 3 previous books but I am a bit wary. Authors such as Jordan and Goodkind have soured me a bit regarding Fantasy so I hope I am proven wrong by the time I reach the most recent SoF&I book (though I could not help but notice that the average rating for the last book on AMAZON is three stars which is the same trend that Jordan's WoT showed).

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 271
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/10/2012 9:29:47 PM   
mikkey

Generation Kill by Evan Wright

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 272
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 3:20:46 PM   
warspite1

Finally finished Ostkrieg. A very good read - a lengthy tome but never hard going - I would certainly recommend this book .

What to read next? Its a toss-up between Antony Beevor's The Second World War or Andrew Lambert's The Challenge (about the naval war of 1812)....mmmm decisions decisions...

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 273
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 3:36:54 PM   
parusski

quote:

Antony Beevor's The Second World War

I am about 8 hours into the unabridged audiobook version of this book. So far it is immensely enjoyable. Most likely I will buy the print version and read it too.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 274
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 3:40:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

I am about 8 hours into the unabridged audiobook version of this book. So far it is immensely enjoyable. Most likely I will buy the print version and read it too.
Warspite1

So what you're saying is.... nice Beevor?

The Second World War it is then. Didn't need much persuading. I am really keen to understand more about the British/US war, but a good WWII book will always take priority.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 275
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 5:44:38 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

So what you're saying is.... nice Beevor?

The Second World War it is then. Didn't need much persuading. I am really keen to understand more about the British/US war, but a good WWII book will always take priority.

GOOD BEEVOR(Beaver?)...no, I did not do that.

I agree McColleague, a good WWII book is always at the top of the heap.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 276
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 8:37:51 PM   
Orm

quote:

Finally finished Ostkrieg. A very good read - a lengthy tome but never hard going - I would certainly recommend this book .

What to read next? Its a toss-up between Antony Beevor's The Second World War or Andrew Lambert's The Challenge (about the naval war of 1812)....mmmm decisions decisions...

Andrew Lambert's The Challenge sounds intriguing.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 277
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 8:52:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Warspite1

In the summer of 1812 Britain stood alone, fighting for her very survival against a vast European Empire. Only the Royal Navy stood between Napoleon's legions and ultimate victory. In that dark hour America saw its chance to challenge British dominance. In three titanic single-ship actions, the challenge was decisively met.

British frigates closed with the Chesapeake, the Essex and the President, flagship of American naval ambition. Both sides found new heroes but none could equal Captain Philip Broke, champion of history's greatest frigate battle, when HMS Shannon captured USS Chesapeake in thirteen blood soaked minutes. Broke's victory secured British control of the Atlantic, and within a year Washington D.C. had been taken and burnt by British troops.

In examining these extraordinary battles, Andrew Lambert shows that the much mythologised was of 1812 was actually a disaster for the US and sparked some of Britain's finest moments at sea.

...or so it says on the dust jacket. As I say I know little to nothing about this war so I am hoping this book should prove educational if nothing else?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 278
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 8:56:11 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

The only problem with Lambert's book is it does not discuss the fact that American troops entered London, besieged Buckingham Palace and forced the evil Brits to never again challenge the supremacy of America. Just read Ambrose's What Really Happened In The War Of 1812.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 279
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2012 9:48:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

The only problem with Lambert's book is it does not discuss the fact that American troops entered London, besieged Buckingham Palace and forced the evil Brits to never again challenge the supremacy of America. Just read Ambrose's What Really Happened In The War Of 1812.
Warspite1

Yes very true. Although I am interested in reading Lambert's book, I am of course prepared for the fact that - as with just about very non-Ambrose work - there will be huge chunks of fact missing. But then, that is no fault of Lambert, nor Beevor, nor Bullock, nor Frank nor Parschall and Tully et al. These men - great historians though they are - simply cannot match the genius that is Ambrose. I mean seriously, just how many historians have ever made, even passing mention, of the US seige of Buckingham Palace? Exactly.

But the great thing about Ambrose is not just the ability to unearth facts that no one else can; its his versatility. In the original version of What Really Happened In The War Of 1812 there is a free CD featuring a piece of music that Ambrose composed himself to commemorate the event. He called it the 1812 Overture; a great piece of music with a stirring cannonade at its climax. Wonderful

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 280
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 12:33:30 PM   
tanyagrey

The Stand by stephen king.....

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 281
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 12:46:24 PM   
parusski

quote:

how many historians have ever made, even passing mention, of the US seige of Buckingham Palace? Exactly.

Exactly exactly. Good to see you still on your toes about all things Ambrose. Maybe there should be a new channel offered by cable, call it??? WHAT?

Most people have no idea about the 1812 Overture, thanks for pointing it out.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 282
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 5:55:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

how many historians have ever made, even passing mention, of the US seige of Buckingham Palace? Exactly.

Exactly exactly. Good to see you still on your toes about all things Ambrose. Maybe there should be a new channel offered by cable, call it??? WHAT?

Most people have no idea about the 1812 Overture, thanks for pointing it out.
Warspite1

I think one of the worst cases of plagiarism I have ever witnessed was when the descendents of that Russian geezer, Tchaikovsky I think he was called, tried to claim credit for the 1812 Overture. Fortunately Ambroses' superb legal team were able to successfully argue that it was the Russian that copied Ambrose, despite being born 100+ years before the Scot. Justice was done that day.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 283
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 6:03:38 PM   
parusski

quote:

Justice was done that day

Yes, it was.

Back to the original topic, did you purchase The Second World War, by Antony Beevor??

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 284
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 6:10:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Justice was done that day

Yes, it was.

Back to the original topic, did you purchase The Second World War, by Antony Beevor??
Warspite1

Certainly did - and so far so very good.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 285
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 6:46:23 PM   
Walloc

quote:

Fortunately Ambroses' superb legal team were able to successfully argue that it was the Russian that copied Ambrose, despite being born 100+ years before the Scot. Justice was done that day.

I think u forget that they in fact used the Chewbacca defense. So nothing fortunate about it.

Case closed,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/16/2012 7:07:05 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 286
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 7:02:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc
quote:

Fortunately Ambroses' superb legal team were able to successfully argue that it was the Russian that copied Ambrose, despite being born 100+ years before the Scot. Justice was done that day.

I think u forget that they in fact used the Chewbacca defense. So nothing fortunate about it.

Case over,

Rasmus
Warspite1

Correct. Ambroses' legal counsel, Aloysius Smigly-Ridz, argued that Chewbacca was from Endor - but that Tchaikovsky wasn't; ergo and thereto for, he could not have written the 1812 masterpiece. Classic legalise - he done the Tchaikovsky family up like a kipper.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 287
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 8:05:51 PM   
parusski

quote:

Case closed,

Rasmus

Jeez Walloc, when did you drink our AMBROSE kool-aid??

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 288
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 8:42:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Case closed,
Rasmus

Warspite1

Simples - Ambrose books sell more in Denmark than any other country in the world - except the west African state of Mali. FACT.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 289
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 8:44:50 PM   
Walloc

quote:

Yeah sorry about that. My bad. I spend the 4th of july eve on the harbor front in SD and it all ended with a whimper. Got bored, saw an band wagon and jumped on it.... Who knew it was filled with kool-aid. Im not quite accustomed to all the american traditions yet.

Rasmus

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 290
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 8:48:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Yeah sorry about that. My bad. I spend the 4th of july eve on the harbor front in SD and it all ended with a whimper. Got bored, saw an band wagon and jumped on it.... Who knew it was filled with kool-aid. Im not quite accustomed to all the american traditions yet.

Rasmus
Warspite1

....and did you also know that the phrase "my bad" is actually a crime against humanity - indeed, when I become ruler of the world, I shall string up, by the unmentionables, anyone guilty of using such a phrase.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 291
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 9:02:09 PM   
Walloc

quote:

....and did you also know that the phrase "my bad" is actually a crime against humanity - indeed, when I become ruler of the world, I shall string up, by the unmentionables, anyone guilty of using such a phrase.

Apart from the uninterresting fact that u are world ruler at this point so it doesnt really matter. There would non the less be a sharp and sudden drop and in the american population. Lending credence to the fact its now pay back time. American troops might have besieged Buckenham Palace in 1812, but this is 2012 and now the shoe is on the other foot. Burn it, BURN IT!

Recently deceased,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/16/2012 9:04:18 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 292
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 9:04:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Apart from the uninterresting fact that u are world ruler at this point so it doesnt really matter. There would non the less be a sharp and sudden drop and in the american population. Lending credence to the fact its now pay back time. American troops might have besieged Buckenham Palace in 1812, but this is 2012 and now the shoe is on the other foot. Burn it, BURN IT!

Recently deceased,

Rasmus
Warspite1

Rasmus me ol' chum - four letters in response to that post - LMAO

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 293
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 9:33:17 PM   
parusski

quote:

Apart from the uninterresting fact that u are world ruler at this point so it doesnt really matter.

OOOOHHHHHH. Wam, bam thank you Walloc, warspite needs to be reminded of his mortality every now and then.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 294
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 9:37:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Apart from the uninterresting fact that u are world ruler at this point so it doesnt really matter.

OOOOHHHHHH. Wam, bam thank you Walloc, warspite needs to be reminded of his mortality every now and then.
Warspite1

So I am ruler of the world - as confirmed by our Danish correspondent - so that means I can start stringing people up who use the phrase "my bad"

Tell me, parusski, do you use this abomination of the English language??

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 295
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 9:57:11 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Nyet. I mean NO, my bad.

And I do NOT yet concede to your leadership. I am soooo happy with the current leader of the free world. King Obummer.

So I am ruler of the world - as confirmed by our Danish correspondent - so that means I can start stringing people up who use the phrase "my bad"

quote:

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 296
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 10:00:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Nyet. I mean NO, my bad.

And I do NOT yet concede to your leadership. I am soooo happy with the current leader of the free world. King Obummer.

quote:

Warspite1

Formatting error there parusski....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I must report that that was the last post from parusski since he has, within the last few minutes, been strung up by the unmentionables.

Let that be a warning to you........

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 297
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 10:18:46 PM   
warspite1

In Beevor's The Second World War, he states that the French ultimatum to Germany did not contain the word war. How is that possible?

Does anyone know what the ultimatum actually said?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 298
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2012 10:29:25 PM   
parusski

quote:

In Beevor's The Second World War, he states that the French ultimatum to Germany did not contain the word war. How is that possible?

Does anyone know what the ultimatum actually said?

He said France. We are talking about FRANCE warspite1. The French do NOT threaten war, they only threaten to surrender. According to France, A Nation Of Surrender(Ambrose) "France sent a warning message to Germany on Sept. 1 1939, telling Hitler that France would quit the war early if Germany did NOT withdraw from Poland"!

So, it is all easily explained.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 299
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/17/2012 1:35:36 AM   
wodin

Little known fact..one of Ambroses distant relatives was actually a British sympathiser who instigated the Boston tea Party. He believed that if the British didn't have their tea they'd spend more time fighting the American rebel movement which was ready to take up arms against British colonial rule.....he though that tea was the greatest weapon the American allies had against the British and her army. So in a very crafty way managed to get the rebels to throw the tea in the river as some sort of protest, where as the wiley old Ambrose now felt he had destroyed the greatest weapon the Americans had with their own hands..for several days he was very happy with what he considered the greatest and most cleverest of all plans ever....he eventually wrote several accounts of how not enough Tea was thrown in the river and so the British lost her greatest colony, brewing up...

FACT

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/17/2012 1:43:20 AM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI