Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Worlds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Worlds Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/16/2012 9:26:44 PM   
Mad Igor

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
Also asteroids should be depletable. Its an asteroid.

All resource sources must be depletable.

all after-war-junk should be salvageable,but it's not,and as long as its not resources should not be touched

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 61
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/17/2012 2:44:45 AM   
pmelheck1

My biggest issue with the game is no difference between ship sizes. To me their should be some size limitation on construction of hull size with the largest class of one ship coming in at the smallest size of the next ship class. Weapons could have a version for each class of hull. It kills it for me when I can design the smallest ship class exactly the same as the largest and the only difference is the graphic. To me different classes should also have bonuses based on class - smallest hull have a defense and or movement bonus due to it's small and how nimble it should be - largest ship should have a bonus to weapon fire or damage resistance do to it's large size. Even something like limiting the number of reactors, shield generators, armor, total number of weapons based on the size of the hull. With weapons they could shrink in size as tech increases so a ship could carry few of the newest weapons but many of the older weapons. Cost of older weapons and materials they need for construction could drop as the tech level increases.

Overall though the biggest thing for me is meaningful hulls - only a carrier can have more than one hanger, frigates can't be built as large as dreadnoughts.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 62
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/19/2012 7:26:17 AM   
MartialDoctor

Well, I'm going over my 3 things I'd like to see but there is one other simple aspect I'd like to see changed.

It's annoying that the potential colonies feature of the Galaxy Map only shows potential colonies which you have the technology for. This doesn't help with the player's planning of which colonization technologies they will research. It would be much more beneficial if you could see all potential colonies, whether you have the technology or not. That way, you know where the future colonizable planets are and, also, which colonization technologies would be most beneficial.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 63
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/19/2012 12:37:12 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartialDoctor
It's annoying that the potential colonies feature of the Galaxy Map only shows potential colonies which you have the technology for. This doesn't help with the player's planning of which colonization technologies they will research. It would be much more beneficial if you could see all potential colonies, whether you have the technology or not. That way, you know where the future colonizable planets are and, also, which colonization technologies would be most beneficial.

Yes, yes, a million times yes!

Even better, give us some filters, or colour coding, or something else to make it clear at a glance which worlds we could colonize with which tech.

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 64
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/19/2012 1:05:45 PM   
Bleek

I posted this about a year ago, but I think it's still relevant:

War/battle Status Window

With all respect to the developer the current battle alert is a bit naff, especially when you're at war as it's hard to track what and where battles are happening. You just get a continuous claxon which makes me want to crack my head open and feed the entrails to my poodle (I don't have a poodle but if I did, it would eat brains).

I'd love to see on the right hand side, above the star map, a box with say five columns of text telling you your battle progress, which sector, which fleet (if any) and make it both ping when you highlight and clickable to take you there. Buttons along the top could filter for local system battles, allied systems, enemy or show all. This box could be scrollable and should always be visible.

Additional idea is to colour the text to reflect your situation i.e. if you're winning keep the text grey, if you're starting to lose make the text red i.e. it's your priority to check that particular battle.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 65
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/21/2012 6:45:38 AM   
feelotraveller

I have mentioned this before but just to put it here: I would like to see systems which are named but not fully explored (have bodies with unknown resources) displayed as such on the main map.  My suggestion is through a colouring of the system name.

(Feature creeping this 'colouring' of system names could also be used to display, on the main map, locations where monsters/pirates were sighted.  Not as important since this information is accessible elsewhere in the game.)

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 66
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/22/2012 5:34:47 AM   
jpwrunyan

To follow up on that, just because I lose sight of a pirate or monster in a system, please dont assume so quickly that it is no longer there. How many times have I sent a colony ship to a planet to have it suddenly be attacked and destroyed. Really lame. And these are systems that were flagged unsafe by my scouts but lost their "unsafe" status somehow. The game lied to me. It's a lying liar.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 67
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/24/2012 12:49:00 AM   
Pipewrench

A deeper storyline with a journal that slowly writes out your adventures as you move thru the game. At the end of a session you can review what has happened like a book that uses static pictures and brief write ups that can be edited or expand upon. With this you are creating your own sci-fi adventure. If the journal were made into a pdf format it could be sent out to interested party's to drive up interest in the game and to compare games and strategy.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 68
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/24/2012 1:14:46 AM   
Evil Steve

1. an option to allow refuelling only at stations and resupply ships
2. a reassessment of habitat and life support module size and implement energy use for these modules
3. races to have a colonisation tech line dependent on where their home planet environment sits in the scheme of things.

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 69
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/24/2012 5:56:43 AM   
MartialDoctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evil Steve
3. races to have a colonisation tech line dependent on where their home planet environment sits in the scheme of things.

Yeah, I always found it strange that you had to research a technology that you, basically, already had...

(in reply to Evil Steve)
Post #: 70
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/25/2012 4:15:52 AM   
jpwrunyan

The race tech thing is fine as a wishlist item. But personally I prefer stuff that addresses actual weaknesses in the game. I dont think the tech tree has any serious problems as is (including the colony tech). Similarly I dont think resource depletion is very needful either.

This thread started out as suggestions for low hanging fruit that could be plucked off the bug tree. Not bashing anyone's suggestions, but want to remind everyone what we should focus on. Moral imperative. When you add new features without addressing existing problems, the terrorists win.

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 71
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/27/2012 3:19:17 PM   
PeeDub

I'd like to see a searchable Galactopedia. And more links within Galactopedia pages to other pages.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 72
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/28/2012 4:48:17 AM   
adecoy95

not really a serious feature thought, but i kinda would like to colonize a gas giant, just to see what kind of population/income those planet sizes would give.

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 7/28/2012 4:52:05 AM >

(in reply to PeeDub)
Post #: 73
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/28/2012 9:13:44 AM   
Ralzakark

1. A filter for all possible colonies as mentioned by Martialdoctor above.
2. A 'here be monster/pirates' flag on the map to show which systems they have been encountered in but not cleared out from. You can see this in the potential colonies screen only at the moment.
3. A new message in big letters which says 'POTENTIAL COLONY FOUND' when an explorer comes across one, so you don't have to keep looking in the lists to see if one has been added to it.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 74
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/28/2012 11:45:46 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

Some really good suggestions here - we'll try and get as many of these as possible into the next expansion. Especially the Difficulty settings and other AI-related improvements.

Good to hear I knew you could do it if anyone could.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 75
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/29/2012 4:55:31 AM   
unclean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralzakark
1. A filter for all possible colonies as mentioned by Martialdoctor above.
2. A 'here be monster/pirates' flag on the map to show which systems they have been encountered in but not cleared out from. You can see this in the potential colonies screen only at the moment.

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller
I have mentioned this before but just to put it here: I would like to see systems which are named but not fully explored (have bodies with unknown resources) displayed as such on the main map. My suggestion is through a colouring of the system name.

Seconding these so hard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RooksBailey
2) The private sector needs a voice: the AI-controlled private sector is the most fascinating aspect of DW, but it needs more development. For example, I would love to receive missions from various NPC corporations along the lines of designing a special freighter for them, or patrolling a hostile sector to keep cor[ ships safe from pirates, or even a request to go to war with a particular alien empire so as to get access to its luxury resources. Failure to complete these missions would have a negative impact on the players economy, and could even result in a strike or work stoppage, setting off a potential civil war even?

I'd love to see something like that in an expansion someday.

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 76
RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Wo... - 7/24/2013 4:08:33 AM   
flight2q

1. An ordering of the tech tree, so that when the AI upgrades a design to latest components it doesn't use inferior tech. Like if you are going for Advanced Hyperdrives, and have Accelerated HyperJump, then research High Speed HyperDrives, then your ships will have the Accelerated HyperJump drives taken out. Yuck. In the worst case, if you have special tech, like Raptor Targeting, and research or obtain plain targeting, the AI will happily swap out your good tech for the junk tech.

2. Ships wanting Repair arriving at a space port should be inserted at the top of the queue so they won't get blocked readily by stuff wanting to use the construction yards to consume scarce resources. This would save me some bother, and would help the AI a ton. A button to bump all of a fleet's ships to the head of any queues they're in could also speed up the game for players who just want to control some fleets.

3. Adding things to the ctrl-rightclick menus. For example, explore a sector is there, but under Queue Next Mission there is no explore a sector. If I left click on a space with a bunch of objects I get a list to pick from, but if I ctrl-rightclick on that space I don't get a list. (Gonna count this under item 3 as well. If you pick prepare and attack it shouldn't always do the same thing as just ordering an attack; for example, it could assemble at a refueling point on the way, just as it would do if the advisor had suggested the mission.)

< Message edited by flight2q -- 7/24/2013 4:10:42 AM >

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 77
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: The 3 simple things you'd like to see in Distant Worlds Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI