Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japanese Pilot Training

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Japanese Pilot Training Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japanese Pilot Training - 6/19/2012 4:17:45 PM   
Historiker

How many pilots for each role do you train simultaniously? I have so many units on training that I almost drained my pilot pools despite haveing neglible losses. So: What is your rough estimate of pilots in training groups?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Post #: 1
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/19/2012 11:23:39 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Army :
60% fighters
30% bomber
10% transport/recon

Navy is a bit more tricky but fighter pilots are always in high demand.

At the start of the game Japan seriously lacks dive bomber pilots so they are normaly my first priority at the start ah and fighters of course.

I would say if in doubt train fighters

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 2
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/19/2012 11:28:23 PM   
Historiker

Yes, but how many are simultaniously in training?
For example: three units with 100 pilots combined training naval fighter...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 3
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/19/2012 11:36:01 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

As much as possible of course. If I had spare training groups I would use them to pick pilots from the pools and train them further of buy some out.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 4
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/20/2012 3:42:03 AM   
PaxMondo

I always struggle to have enough training groups ... demand is really high early in the war for air power.  It is a key deciding factor for most campaigns.

Pax

Post #: 5
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/20/2012 6:08:52 AM   
Knyvet

Easy part - use almost all the air units in manchuko for training - they are restricted, so it will cost you to pull them out + most of them are very slow to upgrade if playing PDU off (those few that do upgrade early you may want to pull out). Bad news is that almost all of them are Army units.

Hard part - use the majority of the restricted command air units on the main Japanese islands for training (especially the Navy units with old airframes). The hard part is that you want some on ASW and Naval search instead of 100% training. How many - that's a tough call. In addition, you will likely want to pay the points to pull a select few out for combat areas - if you pull too many of the Navy guys you, you may be hosed in the long run because your pilot replacements will have little training before you need them.

The number of units you use strictly for training is a balancing act and you need to careful to leave enough Navy units training. It may come down to whether you want your "I'm finished training them" experience in the high 40's? 50's? 60?? - what can you tolerate? If you want higher exprience before putting them in action, you are going to need more training units.

Finally, whether you use your CVE's for training is an interesting issue with many pros and cons.

The Japanese balance of training enough, but not too many pilots through dedicated units is yet another fun game within the game (I have lost count of how many there are in WitpAE).

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 6
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/20/2012 10:14:54 AM   
Historiker

Will you push the training so far that you pull pilots out of school before they have finished it? My pilot pools are already down to two ditig numbers, so I'm expecting this to come, soon.

(in reply to Knyvet)
Post #: 7
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/20/2012 1:05:51 PM   
USSAmerica

You don't need no stinking training! Send those pilots out to drink some sake and then put 'em in the air against me.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 8
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/20/2012 2:48:58 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Army :
60% fighters
30% bomber
10% transport/recon

Navy is a bit more tricky but fighter pilots are always in high demand.

At the start of the game Japan seriously lacks dive bomber pilots so they are normaly my first priority at the start ah and fighters of course.

I would say if in doubt train fighters

I play PDU off and I have lot of Pete units, so I use them to train DB pilots. Of course there's a small penalty changing pilot's plane type. Pete's can also be used to train fighter pilots.

It seems that I'm always short of navy fighter pilots, and there is not enough training units, especially in 1942.

Post #: 9
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/23/2012 4:20:16 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

scenario 1 / scenario 2

use oscars as padding for sally strikes

use zeroes to kill allied planes

transfer all good army pilots to reserve until the frank is available

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 10
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/23/2012 5:26:26 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knyvet

Hard part - use the majority of the restricted command air units on the main Japanese islands for training (especially the Navy units with old airframes). The hard part is that you want some on ASW and Naval search instead of 100% training. How many - that's a tough call. In addition, you will likely want to pay the points to pull a select few out for combat areas - if you pull too many of the Navy guys you, you may be hosed in the long run because your pilot replacements will have little training before you need them.

The number of units you use strictly for training is a balancing act and you need to careful to leave enough Navy units training. It may come down to whether you want your "I'm finished training them" experience in the high 40's? 50's? 60?? - what can you tolerate? If you want higher exprience before putting them in action, you are going to need more training units.

Finally, whether you use your CVE's for training is an interesting issue with many pros and cons.

+1

Nice summary of the issues. Exactly the issues I face ... I struggle NOT to pull too many into combat

Pax

(in reply to Knyvet)
Post #: 11
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 6/25/2012 6:12:09 AM   
Barb

Good rule of thumb is to have 1 unit training for each two fighting - of similar pilot capacity of course
With skill per month you can get pilot "classes" each two or three months (depending on number of skills needed).

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 12
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 7/30/2012 12:08:55 AM   
Coach Z

Curious must you leave a CVE or CVL in Japan to produce Carrier Trained air groups?

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 13
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 7/30/2012 2:54:44 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coach Z

Curious must you leave a CVE or CVL in Japan to produce Carrier Trained air groups?

Nope.

although that requirement is in the SPI monster game of WITP :-)

(in reply to Coach Z)
Post #: 14
RE: Japanese Pilot Training - 7/30/2012 4:04:27 AM   
Coach Z

Yeah thats where I remember it from -lol.

Wasn't in WitP the original wasn't sure if it had been included in any patches.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Japanese Pilot Training Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI