Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Waves of corpes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Waves of corpes Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 1:17:54 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

The Boise is sunk. You have now won

+1

I think I'd rather see her sunk more than any other ship the allies start the game with, including carriers and BBs. And I say that with a completely straight face - no exaggeration.

I more-than-half seriously think one of the developers must have been from Idaho or something and gave her some magical attributes hidden away in the code.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 481
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 2:09:04 PM   
Canoerebel

If this had been a straight surface combat battle - the Allies losing a CA and a couple of CLs and Japan losing CA Haguro - then I, as an Allied player, would feel pretty good about the outcome. CAs are gold. But there's something unsavory about engaging in a surface battle and then getting hammered by carrier strike aircraft. It just feels like you've gotten your fanny whipped.

Good job, GJ! I must say, you're holding your own against a very capable and very experienced opponent. Your pretty much on schedule and you've dished out some punishment. Q-Ball is doing good too, but you're really making him work for it.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 482
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 3:09:40 PM   
crsutton

I hate to lose valuable Allied cruisers early in the game. But, it was a fair trade. And a trade is always a victory for the Allies.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 483
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 3:27:28 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

If this had been a straight surface combat battle - the Allies losing a CA and a couple of CLs and Japan losing CA Haguro - then I, as an Allied player, would feel pretty good about the outcome. CAs are gold. But there's something unsavory about engaging in a surface battle and then getting hammered by carrier strike aircraft. It just feels like you've gotten your fanny whipped.

Good job, GJ! I must say, you're holding your own against a very capable and very experienced opponent. Your pretty much on schedule and you've dished out some punishment. Q-Ball is doing good too, but you're really making him work for it.

Couldn't pass it up!

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 484
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 3:32:23 PM   
Canoerebel

*ack*!

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 485
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 3:38:41 PM   
jeffk3510

I don't mind losing Allied CA/CLs early in game.. a pain? Yes, but you get so many later on. However, losing them as Japan HURTS.

In my AI GC game I just started, I hid Boise and Houston in the Sulu Sea, and then pounced on the Miri invasion fleet. Sank the entire fleet. I ACCIDENTLY hit refuel, AND saved the game, so, I had 2 hexes of movement since I used up all of the OPs points... BBs came in and trashed me, and I lost both ships. To me, that puts a HUGE dent in defending the DEI.. those are nasty ships for some reason.

CAs and CLs are very important ships IMO..sounds like a lot of other's opinions as well.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 486
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 3:40:03 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

*ack*!

My sister corrects my English all of the time. She has an English degree. Same for my wife.

I just tell them my English is a lot gooder than theirs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 487
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 4:30:27 PM   
BBfanboy

Re: a beachhead in Java, I have never seen the IJA invade at Semarang [did I get that right?] about half way between Batavia and 'baja, but it seems like a good place to split the defenders and prevent a fighting withdrawal from one major port to the other. From that central location your fighters could cover most of Java.

Re: Rangoon, the usual strategy is to land at Akyab and march inland to cut the rail to Mandalay. After that happens no supply will flow down the Burma Road because there is no input from Rangoon. The cut-off defenders can be eliminated when you get enough troops from Malaya, DEI and/or SOPAC.
You will need to decide whether you are going onward after Burma or stopping to entrench and build forts in the favourable terrain.
Going after India against an experienced player will get you bogged down before you can consolidate and build up Burma.
Going after Australia risks your navy when the Allies get reinforcements. Lose control of the sea and any troops in Australia are cut off.
There are too many islands in the south seas to build an impregnable line of resistance - he can counter-build faster than you can and use LBA to attrit your islands. Again, your navy can only prevail in ther area until late 1942.

So, to me, the choices seems to be:
- establish a strong line of resistance early and conserve your forces to slow the Allied return [a Japanese "Good Sir Robin"]
- force major battles to devastate his navies in 1942 [very difficult against a skilled player]
- make a major "Phase II" move to make the game more interesting, knowing it will use up a lot of your assets and hasten the Allied advance

The question is "Do you feel lucky?"
Rotsa Ruck!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 488
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 5:22:29 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

The only Brooklyn/St. Louis class the US lost during the war, USS Helena, did return as a Baltimore-class CA, her keel being laid just two months after her loss.

Let's see, USS (SHIP WHO'S NAME WILL NOT BE SPOKEN)sunk Jan-42... (scribbles furiously)... she can indeed return as an Iowa-class in late 1944 (see construction of USS Wisconsin).

Wait, the USN in 1944 still assigned states as BB names.

Ah! Here we go! She can come back as an Essex class! As was amply demonstrated, we named those proud ships after any random name.

Instead of 16" rifles, I offer you 73 Hellcats, 15 Dauntlesses, and 15 Avengers.

I recommend you suggest that your opponent rename one of his incoming CVs in honor of his martyred CL.

SHIP WHO'S NAME WILL NOT BE SPOKEN is no ordinary Brooklyn Class CL. Many players think she has mystical powers far beyond her numerous rapid fire 6" guns. If I were the Allied player and I lost SHIP WHO'S NAME WILL NOT BE SPOKEN I would be distraught. As mentioned earlier, I think many of his useful surface assets are now gone. Excepting that CV air group, he only has a BB & a BC left on the table, and they will not come in Torp range me thinks

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 489
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 5:53:20 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

Dan, as always, thanks for your support and your kind words

Brad is making me bleed. Exactly what a good allied player should do. He cannot stop me...but he can hurt the empire in the process and slow him down to the point where he has to stop.

Now i have half of my CA/CLs out of action (2 CAs sunk, 2 CLs sunk plus a lot damaged) and i'm short of 15 DDs by now...i need to contain my losses during the next advances...if not i risk to arrive without a navy in 1943!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 490
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 6:20:18 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Re: a beachhead in Java, I have never seen the IJA invade at Semarang [did I get that right?] about half way between Batavia and 'baja, but it seems like a good place to split the defenders and prevent a fighting withdrawal from one major port to the other. From that central location your fighters could cover most of Java.

Re: Rangoon, the usual strategy is to land at Akyab and march inland to cut the rail to Mandalay. After that happens no supply will flow down the Burma Road because there is no input from Rangoon. The cut-off defenders can be eliminated when you get enough troops from Malaya, DEI and/or SOPAC.
You will need to decide whether you are going onward after Burma or stopping to entrench and build forts in the favourable terrain.
Going after India against an experienced player will get you bogged down before you can consolidate and build up Burma.
Going after Australia risks your navy when the Allies get reinforcements. Lose control of the sea and any troops in Australia are cut off.
There are too many islands in the south seas to build an impregnable line of resistance - he can counter-build faster than you can and use LBA to attrit your islands. Again, your navy can only prevail in ther area until late 1942.

So, to me, the choices seems to be:
- establish a strong line of resistance early and conserve your forces to slow the Allied return [a Japanese "Good Sir Robin"]
- force major battles to devastate his navies in 1942 [very difficult against a skilled player]
- make a major "Phase II" move to make the game more interesting, knowing it will use up a lot of your assets and hasten the Allied advance

The question is "Do you feel lucky?"
Rotsa Ruck!

Mate, Sabarang was exactly the place i was looking upon! He has massed 16 units in Batavia. Now i will recon Sosarbaja and see what he has there...however i think that, with his best cruisers out of action and the presence of a strong Mini-KB for cover, an early landing is possible. Think i should be able to land there with the equivalent of a division by the end of Jan 42. Estabilish a strong bridghead (with some 100 Zeros) and then wait for 2 more divisions coming from malaya once singa has fallen.

What to do next? Well, i don't feel that lucky anymore... Brad showed me how strong and capable player he is and i'd like to remain a challenge for him even in 1944...so i need to be conservative...smart and sneaky but conservative.
I see two main options in my grand strategy:
A push towards Northern Oz (conquering everything from Portland Roads to Darwin-Alice spring (excluded) and Exmouth) and fortify in Burma (historical perimeter) or to draw a line at Timor-Ambon and try an early landing with 3 divisions into the indian plains around Dacca...conquer those plains and so give some more time for my "oil-guys" to pump as much oil as possible from burma....

Still haven't decided what to do...

Both Burma and Southern DEI are two easy route of advance for the allies in 1943...so i'm puzzled

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 491
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 6:26:52 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
Mate, Sabarang was exactly the place i was looking upon!

Sabarang is a cabaret midway between Semereng and Sabang, which puts it somewhere in the Sunda Straits....

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 492
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 6:29:24 PM   
GreyJoy

Jan 11 1942

After the battles of yesterday i sent 4 DDs to intercept the only survivor CL he had left...the Hobart... my guys tangled with the big ships and score 26 hits...but not a single torp... then a CLTF engaged...and again...lots of hits (few of my DDs lighly damaged) but the damned ship didn't go down... as a counterresponse, my 4DDs ended up into a minefield at Balikapan and 2 of them got sunk (modern ones)

Kaga's group ended in the same hex of Hobart...and not a single plane took off!!!!! com'on!!!

Well...i hope she will sink anyway...being so badly damaged....

What else? KB is moving south towards Noumea...our glens spotted a huge TFs composed of several APs unloading at Sydney...maybe i cannot get them but if i'd manage to...well, it will be an easy and juicy prey!

Unloading a BF at PM...soon we'll start to recon Horn island, portland roads and Mereuake.

Invading Buna right now too.

2 regiments, a tank regiment, an arty regiment and some minor engineers units are ready to be loaded at Mindanao... these guys will attack Ambon, along with 3 SNLF units and then proceed for Timor

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 493
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 6:38:02 PM   
Lecivius

You seem to be having a lot of luck!

Not all of it good, either

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 494
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 10:03:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
Mate, Sabarang was exactly the place i was looking upon!

Sabarang is a cabaret midway between Semereng and Sabang, which puts it somewhere in the Sunda Straits....

At first glance I read the highlighted word as "cabernet" which, given the imbibing smiley, would also be appropriate!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 495
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/27/2012 10:26:28 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

quote:

Couldn't pass it up!

Yikes!! well met and well deserved. I will inhale my beverage presently

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 496
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/28/2012 3:22:42 AM   
princep01

Ser Greyjoy, given the relative ease with which the Allies can build a supply base in northern OZ and pounce on Timor under LBA cover, I'd say northern OZ is a virtual "must".  You will eventually lose it, but delaying the return of the Q-Ball led Allies to those northern ports (particularly Darwin) can discourage the "too easy" advance into the SRA.  I'd suggest you don't let that happen.

Wirh judicious use of your forces, you should be able to remain on the offensive through 42.  But, my primary goal would be to engage his CVs and win that fight in 42. That will delay his taking the strategic offensive even longer.  Achieving that would be my preferred approach.  Tactically, a bait and trap approach might work even against a crafty player like Q-Ball.  Yamamoto had the right strategic idea at Midway, he just deployed very badly and had the wrong Admiral in charge of KB whom, in turn, executed the fight about as badly as possible.  But, drawing the Allied CVs into an uneven fight with KB was an excellent idea.

Of course, once you have decided upon and established your defensive perimeter, you must not neglect the many tactical decisions among which is:  What bases will I really build up?  The map above relating to the Solomons indicates you are giving that serious thought....bravo.

Post #: 497
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/28/2012 4:39:33 AM   
jeffk3510

Sir GJ-

Do you mind explaining what a corpes is..

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 498
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/28/2012 1:15:45 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Now i will recon Sosarbaja
=Surabaya?

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 499
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/29/2012 3:42:43 AM   
Cribtop

Man, this drinking game is tough! I'm rasted.

Post #: 500
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/29/2012 5:31:18 PM   
princep01

Weekend with Valentina, huh, Ser Greyjoy?  The silence in here is deafening.

BTW, I say The Dark Knight Rises this weekend....it is the WORST movie I have seen in three years (I see many of them).  What a waste of 2.5 hours.  Uggh!

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 501
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/30/2012 7:16:27 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Looks like I picked a bad week to give up drinking. Belch! When we retire let's all do a tour of all of these Greyjoy-enhanced battle sites, starting with Scoodra.

Didn't someone discover the Boise was mistakenly given super stats in WITP, which then got corrected back to normal Brooklyn levels? It was enough to create a legend which lives on to this day, although in AE it is a normal ship. At least that's my likely faulty recollection.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 502
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/30/2012 10:06:38 AM   
GreyJoy

Sorry for the delay guys but i just had the worst drinking experience of my whole life....

Saturday i was the bestman during my best friend's marriage....who married my GF's sister and who's brother of my ex GF, associate and collegue... quite a mess, i know
However i started to drink during the cerimony.... by 8 o'clock i was already drunk like a mad cow...i brought with me into the jaws of alcholism even my friend...who wasn't even able to cut the marriage cake...we ended up throwing up everything into the swimming pool by 11 pm, with the bride and her sister (my GF) doing the same into the fountain outside the villa... just imagine how disgusted were our parents

Ok, we're back on trak now...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 13-14, 42

Once again his subs are driving me mad, while mines aren't hitting a damned thing! We missed two big APs right in front of sydney, while the KB didn't move as planned and wasn't close enough to reach that big convoy that arrived in Sydney few days ago....
Lost 2 MSWs, 1 AMC and 4 more xAKs due to his subs in the last 3 days... I really need to understand what to do with his subs...cause if these are the results with the horrible torpedoes the allies have now, i can foresee the disaster we'll face in the next years to come

Takaran, after 4 days of heavy fightings, finally succumbed to the 5th Amphib Bde... well, i never thought those useless ducths could stop an entire bde...but Q-Ball is slowing me down in every single damned base!!!!

In Malaya we finally reached Jahore Baru. Now we're gonna mass our mighty armies for the final push.... We'll move more bombers to pound Singapore AF for the next week, then we'll attack.

In SWPAC we've been slowed down a lot at PM... the port is still 100% damaged and we're having problems repairing it.... now a base force has arrived so we should be able to embarq my 2 regiments in the next week or so.

KB will move back to Rabaul, refuel and rearm (2AKEs are arriving there).

Loading up 2 reinforced regiments at Mindanao. These guys will attack Ambon.
The Kendari invasion fleet is on the move from Menado. Kaga's group will cover the advance. Enemy's warships are once again spotted south of Timor...

In China we're prepping a big offensive in the northern sector, while in the south a couple of actions should take place in the next couple of days.

A big convoy is unloading supplies and fuel at Truk and Babeolep, along with AKEs, AVs, ADs and some more support ships.

I'm buying Base forces and eng units from korea in order to send them asap to Kuriles, Marcus/Wake and Mariannas. Wanna secure my eastern perimeter ASAP

The enemy still has fangs and nails in Java...more than 60 fighters and 40 bombers are reported....and they hit back!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Billiton at 52,93

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 26
B-339D x 21

Allied aircraft losses
139WH-3: 1 damaged
139WH-3: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
xAK Hokuzyu Maru
xAK Thames Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Nansin Maru
xAK Hakodate Maru, Bomb hits 1
xAK Tazan Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Terempa at 54,81

Japanese Ships
xAK Zuiko Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
xAP Montevideo Maru
xAK Kuritake Maru

Allied Ships
SS KXVIII

Ground combat at Johore Bahru (50,83)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 7391 troops, 59 guns, 113 vehicles, Assault Value = 255

Defending force 746 troops, 4 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 3

Japanese adjusted assault: 89

Allied adjusted defense: 3

Japanese assault odds: 29 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Johore Bahru !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
669 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 59 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 11 (11 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 3

Assaulting units:
56th Recon Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
2nd Engineer Regiment
24th Infantry Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
113th RAF Adv Base Force
2nd ISF Base Force
112th RAF Adv Base Force

Ground combat at Tarakan (67,91)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5451 troops, 51 guns, 16 vehicles, Assault Value = 176

Defending force 1681 troops, 44 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 19

Japanese adjusted assault: 63

Allied adjusted defense: 22

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tarakan !!! FINALLY!!!!!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
744 casualties reported
Squads: 16 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 40 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 14 (13 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 7 (7 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Units destroyed 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
5th Amphibious Brigade
22nd JAAF AF Bn
23rd JAAF AF Bn

Defending units:
VII KNIL Battalion
Tarakan Base Force
Tarakan Defenses

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 503
RE: Waves of corpes - 7/30/2012 10:39:22 AM   
Historiker

quote:

Saturday i was the bestman during my best friend's marriage....who married my GF's sister and who's brother of my ex GF, associate and collegue... quite a mess, i know
However i started to drink during the cerimony.... by 8 o'clock i was already drunk like a mad cow...i brought with me into the jaws of alcholism even my friend...who wasn't even able to cut the marriage cake...we ended up throwing up everything into the swimming pool by 11 pm, with the bride and her sister (my GF) doing the same into the fountain outside the villa... just imagine how disgusted were our parents

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 504
No Escorts? - 7/30/2012 11:03:14 AM   
ADB123

Your Jan 13-14 report shows unescorted Transport ships being attacked by bombers in one location and by subs in another location. Were those transport TFs really unescorted? Even having a couple of PBs with transport ships helps protect them a bit - having them all alone just invites sinking.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 505
RE: No Escorts? - 7/30/2012 11:23:40 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADB123

Your Jan 13-14 report shows unescorted Transport ships being attacked by bombers in one location and by subs in another location. Were those transport TFs really unescorted? Even having a couple of PBs with transport ships helps protect them a bit - having them all alone just invites sinking.

Those transports attacked by Ducth bombers were escorted by 4 TBs (they have a decent rating of 2 ASW), while the sub-attacked transports did have 4 DDs with them...

I try to always have PBs and DDs with my transports...by his subs are really doing a wonderfull job.

I think i'll have to add more escort ships to my convoys...but it isn't always easy cause in the first months of war you have ships going everywhere and it's plain impossible to find decent escorts for all of them...

I really need my Air ASW to get better....already training 3 full sentais in Korea...hopefully by the end of Jan i'll have some 60 crack ASW pilots to put into action near Takao and near Singapore...

Any particular advice for the Singapore Shock attack?

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 506
RE: No Escorts? - 7/30/2012 1:24:18 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

In Malaya we finally reached Jahore Bharu. Now we're gonna mass our mighty armies for the final push.... We'll move more bombers to pound Singapore AF for the next week, then we'll attack.

DO NOT attack into Singapore with any infantry other than WHOLE divisions. If you go with just the components of a division those components, especially the infantry regiments, will end up almost totally disabled and out of the war for two months.

Been there, done that!!

I strongly recommend that you don't cross over with anything less than 3 whole divisions. I usually have everybody follow the 25th Army HQ.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 7/30/2012 1:33:22 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 507
RE: No Escorts? - 7/30/2012 1:38:58 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

In Malaya we finally reached Jahore Bharu. Now we're gonna mass our mighty armies for the final push.... We'll move more bombers to pound Singapore AF for the next week, then we'll attack.

DO NOT attack into Singapore with any infantry other than WHOLE divisions. If you go with just the components of a division those components, especially the infantry regiments, will end up almost totally disabled and out of the war for two months.

Been there, done that!!

I strongly recommend that you don't cross over with anything less than 3 whole divisions. I usually have everybody follow the 25th Army HQ.

While this is wise advice, having just crossed I can tell you that sometimes best laid plans still go off track. I crossed with two regiments and 6 divisions and a few other odds and ends. The regiments were fine after the shock but one division was trashed beyond use, down to 15 AV!!! No issue with leaders, fatigue, or moral. Just tough luck. The regiments were actually the best preserved in this attack. Go figure.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 508
RE: No Escorts? - 7/30/2012 1:42:46 PM   
ny59giants

Java - While this may not happen for a few weeks, I have tried to invade at three bases before (Merak, Kalidjati, and Semarang). I found Kalidjati worked the best for me as it has a size 4 AF. A secondary invasion at Merak helped isolate and capture Batavia. I don't know if Brad is going to send most of his ground units to Batavia or Soerabaja. This a game where you have to take into account stacking limits and that make Batavia the likely choice (it is for me). You can base some fighters at Oosthaven for LRCAP.

If he chooses Soerabaja as his primary last base, then landing at Semarang with its large port (size 5) enable you to divide the island in two. A secondary invasion at Banjoewangi (off of Denpasar) may be helpful.

The key is to divide the island in half and conquer one relatively quickly, IMO. Some players like to land just at Merak and just push everything down the island.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 509
RE: No Escorts? - 7/30/2012 4:51:30 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

Been there, done that!!

+1. I've seen smaller units (don't know how small, they were my opponent's) get actually destroyed on the crossing!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Waves of corpes Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI