Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/9/2012 5:07:39 PM   
Javaslinger

What's up with the expansion??? Surely you can give us some teasers...
Post #: 1
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/9/2012 5:43:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

So much to tell, but still too early. I expect we will start sharing more information in September. Still a lot to do, but I can say we are aiming to release it this year.

I'll leave you with this hint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A19q7rysLs

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Javaslinger)
Post #: 2
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/9/2012 6:18:48 PM   
Javaslinger

hmmm.. you can play as pirates???

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/9/2012 6:46:12 PM   
WiZz

Maybe, new types of relations with pirates? Creating raider fleets?

Post #: 4
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/9/2012 6:48:22 PM   
scotten_usa

Wrong. The music for the expansion will feature all pirate-related songs.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 5
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/9/2012 8:31:30 PM   
Pipewrench

Pirates you say? we need a song!

(in reply to scotten_usa)
Post #: 6
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 12:35:59 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'll leave you with this hint:

Regards,

- Erik

Hmmmn

I wonder what those Phantom Pirates are up to?
(Make reminder to ask Data to swing through the Necrid Expanse and take a scan}

Attachment (1)

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Post #: 7
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 3:54:29 AM   
jpwrunyan

Will the expansion fix more problems than it creates? Ok thats being cynical. How about this: Will more areas of the game be made moddable so the community can actively address perceived problems themselves (as opposed to complaining about it in a 5 page thread)?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 8
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 5:02:00 AM   
Setekh

Another expansion?

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 9
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 5:42:16 AM   
adecoy95

OK, I have carefully analyzed the video and I can safely say that its a hint regarding new, fancy fonts!

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 10
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 11:24:54 AM   
WiZz

I hope, that devs do not forget about further optimizations, because game with 1400 stars on late stages becomes unplayable through lags.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 11
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 1:32:22 PM   
ASHBERY76

More politics internal and external.Revamped diplomacy...More stuff in the living galaxy wth many new monsters,loot,events good and bad,character system futher improved.I am not bothered about new gimmicks but improving and adding to existing elements.

One thing we do know is ground combat is being changed.I would like to see the model follow MOO3 where you built divisional,corps,armies with support units like PSI,hackers,etc. it worked really well even if the rest of the game was ****.Elliot should load up and take a look the system.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 12
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 1:34:27 PM   
Erik Rutins

The challenge with each expansion is to add a bunch of new stuff but at the same time to move the whole game forward and improve existing gameplay for all playstyles. With each expansion so far, we increased performance, improved the AI and added more options for modders. That is our goal for this expansion as well.

There is a very long list of awesome new stuff we are working on that should be a lot of fun for all of you, whether you explore the new expansion to the fullest or just play the game exactly as you have been playing it.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 13
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 1:37:14 PM   
feelotraveller

Yay!  We get to dance with multi-coloured young things and have sabre duels with tentacled foes? 

Actually I hope it means that combat/conquest gets more interesting.  I've always been amazed that after a few of our marines kill a few of theirs that the population of the entire planet decides to love our empire instantaneously and forever.  Even the humans do that in this game.  

Boarding parties, rebellions, raids, rape and pillaging... bring it on. 

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 14
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 2:48:19 PM   
Tampa_Gamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

One thing we do know is ground combat is being changed.I would like to see the model follow MOO3 where you built divisional,corps,armies with support units like PSI,hackers,etc. it worked really well even if the rest of the game was ****.Elliot should load up and take a look the system.

Could not agree with you more. Right now the units while they gain experience are too numerous to get attached to. I would prefer to scale it back to Moo3 scale so that each army was more meaningful. The battles were also great, if I recall there was even radio chatter to indicate how it was going. I do want to retain the time element we have now as I think it should take months to conquer a planet.

Also second vote goes to modding. I do really hope they externalize the data for components etc and let the fans help with balance etc. similar to Space Empire IV/V level of modding ability. This in the end will be the biggest draw to the game if you can open it up and give it the lure to cause players to shell out the money required to get the "full" game.

< Message edited by Tampa_Gamer -- 8/10/2012 2:49:23 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 15
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 4:49:00 PM   
Cauldyth

Is it September yet?!

(in reply to Tampa_Gamer)
Post #: 16
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/10/2012 11:31:02 PM   
Falokis

What about the official release of the patch in beta? Any changes going on with it?

Post #: 17
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 7:47:40 AM   
WiZz

I think the last beta patch will become release and that's all. Patches for Legends are over.

One more fail 4x game has been released. http://www.legendsofpegasus.com/us/ There are was a lot of PR and what we get? Bugged copy of Homeworld on galactic scale. DO NOT BUY IT! Honestly, I'm looking at quality of 4x games this year and I'm afraid for destiny of next expansion for DW.

< Message edited by WiZz -- 8/11/2012 7:53:26 AM >

(in reply to Falokis)
Post #: 18
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 9:26:55 AM   
Yskonyn

It is stupid and insulting to predict the state on DW's next expansion from the rubbish that has put forward by other devs.
Codeforge has always delivered solid software and we have no reason to believe the next expansion will be otherwise.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 19
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 1:00:32 PM   
w1p

Yskonyn is right

worrying about the new DW release, which has a history of stable releases (from my experience with rots + legends) and good developer support, purely because some other half-assed company's cant test a game is silly.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 20
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 3:40:58 PM   
WiZz

Hope so...

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 21
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 4:01:28 PM   
Cauldyth

Yeah, looks like Legends of Pegasus is yet another game released before its time. This generally happens when devs run out of money, and need to release, regardless of what state the game is in.

Considering DW's dev team is approximately 1 person, presumably running out of money to pay that dev team isn't really an issue.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 22
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 5:11:01 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz
I'm looking at quality of 4x games this year and I'm afraid for destiny of next expansion for DW.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 23
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 8:05:24 PM   
Setekh

I too think it's silly to judge DW by looking at rubbish produced by completely unrelated devs.
When I first discovered DW I was in love, that love continues to this day and will do for a while yet.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 24
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 9:57:47 PM   
Blueberry

Firstly, I am really, truely, madly excited about the upcoming expansion. Feeling quite confident that the developers will keep the tradition of releasing solid pieces and keeping the fans happy. Was always happy about the pirate concept in any 4x games and obviously more than happy if those get polished and more sophisticated in DW.

Oh...and deeper diplomacy please. More options to play and negotiate with. Planets to trade.... galactic senate would be nice.... Pirates could get special 'proposals' from the players involving carrying out special/specific tasks and not just general attack the other empire deal...for example, attack a certain port or help defend the system... ahhhh

Anyways, about other games... Yeah... Wasted too much of my hard-earned cash on some crappy 4x games this year. As always, dw remains my fav. Like some lass one keeps going back to cause she does it best.

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 25
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/11/2012 11:36:37 PM   
AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueberry
Pirates could get special 'proposals' from the players involving carrying out special/specific tasks and not just general attack the other empire deal...for example, attack a certain port or help defend the system... ahhhh

That sounds more like mercenaries :)

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 26
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/12/2012 1:17:52 AM   
ohioastro

A quick question: is there any plan to bundle the base game and the prior expansions with the new one?
I'd consider a purchase under those circumstances, but spending 75 dollars for three expansions, or 120 dollars for the entire package, is simply not something that I'm willing to do. (I do own the base game.) I suspect that I'm not alone.

Post #: 27
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/12/2012 2:39:39 AM   
HectorOfTroy

I'm hoping the new expansion will improve combat gameplay. I would love if it made combat more tactical, rather then just throw heaps of units at each other and see wha happens.

(in reply to ohioastro)
Post #: 28
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/12/2012 10:10:36 AM   
Blueberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueberry
Pirates could get special 'proposals' from the players involving carrying out special/specific tasks and not just general attack the other empire deal...for example, attack a certain port or help defend the system... ahhhh

That sounds more like mercenaries :)

One may 'hire' pirates to attack a friendly/hostile empire's assets without revealing the true perpetrator empire....wish a player had such an option even against its own allies.

(in reply to AndonSage)
Post #: 29
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/12/2012 3:03:08 PM   
Pipewrench

If that happens blueberry I have a book you might want to read,

Man, I can just feel the love

Imagine hiring pirates not knowing that they are feeding information to your enemy and spreading half truth's back to you or other factions. Why?! It is due to the fact they have another empire's spy working with them and he/she brings a whole new bag of tricks and traits.

Imagine, freighter routes and mining bases start having problems with missing inventory, quietly of course. You can watch as pirates attack or loot a specified freighter/base and if in visual range, watch independent transports pick up the stolen cargo and take the ill-gotten bounty back to their masters. Are they being helped? Who knows...

Meanwhile behind the curtain, trades you made with a friend slowly make their way into the enemies hands or other pirate factions. Third party arms deals are the rage and your quietly in denial.

Only by sheer luck an informant uncovers the problems but is it to be believed? Are the culprits the true criminals? Cloak and dagger into paranoia anyone?

Will it turn you towards the dark side to get your revenge? Are you willing to stoop down into hiring pirates that preform cold war thievery?

Look! Says the devil on your shoulder.
"One of your neighbor's has something you desperately need and war can be so expensive. Just take the plunge down the rabbit hole and plant a spy with the pirates. A friendly direction to skim the needed resources or attack and loot a freighter would not hurt, would it? No one will know?"

Naw, way too much scripting involved. Lets go back to basic trading and auto-upgrading of pirate factions.

< Message edited by pipewrench -- 8/12/2012 4:28:56 PM >

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI