Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 6:41:40 PM   
Schanilec

I think it was that same flight that I noticed this guys girlfriend across the aisle looked to be very nervous about flying. So I took it upon myself to keep asking the flight attendant questions. Such as what is our altitude? How fast are we going? I think her boyfriend wanted to take my life.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 9451
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 6:41:57 PM   
Schanilec

Ta da!

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9452
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 6:51:18 PM   
Kwik E Mart

...the movie from which one of my most memorable lines comes from...

little girl: "En-Oh-Ess-Em-Oh-Kay-Eye-En-Gee...Nooooooo Smoking!"

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9453
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 7:57:06 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

I think it was that same flight that I noticed this guys girlfriend across the aisle looked to be very nervous about flying. So I took it upon myself to keep asking the flight attendant questions. Such as what is our altitude? How fast are we going? I think her boyfriend wanted to take my life.

As long as its not some spoiled, snotnosed rugrat who keeps kicking my chair, I can deal with pretty much anything. Watching nervous people on planes is fun.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9454
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 9:58:26 PM   
Grollub

Just saw the womens soccer reenactment of the Pacific War. Fantastic game and congrats to the USA.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 9455
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 10:29:23 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Zsssssssss time...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 9456
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 11:02:48 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Just saw the womens soccer reenactment of the Pacific War. Fantastic game and congrats to the USA.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 9457
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/9/2012 11:20:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

And now its time for a German party!!!

Attachment (1)

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9458
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 11:02:33 AM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Congrats to Germany on the awesome results in canoe/kayak!

The oinly area where our athletes don't suck totally. Our swimmers had the worst result in 60 years, our riders as well.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 9459
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 1:23:44 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

The oinly area where our athletes don't suck totally. Our swimmers had the worst result in 60 years, our riders as well.

Listen, forget having any medals in any sport that Americans or Chinese actually care about.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9460
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 1:24:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/doctors-remove-spider-hiding-woman-ear-canal-195029859.html

OK, I am officially freaked out!!!!!

Post #: 9461
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 1:29:03 PM   
USSAmerica

Good Friday morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 9462
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 1:29:28 PM   
USSAmerica

I finally fixed the flat tire on my bike last evening and went for a short ride!

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 9463
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 1:41:31 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I finally fixed the flat tire on my bike last evening and went for a short ride!

And youre back. I think Torsten is still working on his return.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 9464
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 2:43:19 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

VIENNA (Reuters) - Austria will no longer support "Olympic tourists", the country's sports minister has said, promising a major shake-up of state support for competitors after the country failed to win a summer Olympic Games medal for the first time in half a century.
Legislation to be crafted this year would ensure aid focused on popular Olympic sports rather than continuing a "watering can" approach that sprinkled money across the athletic spectrum, Norbert Darabos told the Kurier newspaper.
"The new law on promoting sports should ensure that Austria no longer produces Olympic tourists," added Darabos, saying he was fed up with athletes who had performed poorly gushing about the atmosphere at the London Games.
Austria sent 70 athletes to compete in 21 sports at London 2012 but, for the first time since the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, failed to win any medals.
"We have to change the structures in time so that we can win medals in Rio in 2016, or else we will again be on the same level as Luxembourg. They won't win anything in London either," Darabos was quoted as saying in an interview printed on Friday.
Mountainous Austria fares far better at winter sports and took home 16 medals, including four golds, from the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

<rant>
So this is a very interesting conundrum. Hopefully it doesnt cross the line into politics.

To my understanding, the Olympics were originally conceived as a contest of amateurs. It got to it's current state because countries kept pushing the envelope in order to get their best into the events even if they no longer fit the amateur category. I say "current state" because the resistance to David Stern's proposal to return the Olympic basketball tourney into a 23 and under contest baffles me. Frankly, watching the various Dream Teams beat the snot out of every other country (despite a smattering of fellow NBAers here and there) has gotten very old very quickly for me and I no longer enjoy watching these games. Olympic soccer, in my opinion is far more enjoyable for the precise reason that its not the same old cast of characters doing the same thing they do the rest of the year. It allows younger guys to get into the spotlight and represent their country, instead of trotting out overpaid, overexposed pros who are too rich to really give a fig one way or the other. So to me the equation in simple. You turn pro, you dont go to the Olympics.

Now, getting back to the Austrians. Very few people can afford to be amateur athletes, by which I mean hold a regular 8-5 job, support yourself and your family and still have enough time and money to train to a level required on the world level. So some assistance is obviously required here. In the old Soviet Union there was a system of government sport programs. If an individual showed promise (as determined by government coaches and scouts) he was given perks such as additional vacation time from his job in order to attend training and sports camps, etc which were paid for by the government. It was a solid support network for amateur athletes which appears to have been fairly successful as the USSR had racked up quite a nice tally of medals. This is no longer the case in Russia and the results are equally evident.

In western countries it seems to be much more about the support network. Gabby Douglas' family, as I understand, made enormous sacrifices to allow her to train. Some others have enough personal wealth to be able to afford it, etc. (Edit: Others get college sports scholarships and access to very good training facilities, which in my opinion is also fair since their primary task there is to get an education and sports are, at least in theory, secondary.)

So what Austria seems to really be saying is either "if youre not good enough to win medals, we dont care for you to represent our country", which is both contrary to the Olympic spirit and pretty stupid, or that "we dont have the money to support everyone" which is fair but seems to be pointing towards the old USSR model, in which case you are wedding yourself to being much more responsible for failure if the athletes you hand-pick and train at the taxpayer's expense dont do very well. You also stand a very good chance of missing genuine talent because any government bureaucracy is ponderous and unfair, especially when it comes to dividing handouts.

The bottom line for me is, the Olympics have gotten very far away from the ideals that I think they were supposed to have. They are now much more of a commercial spectacle than a good-will contest between regular people who have a passion for a particular sport.

Ok, I feel better now. </rant>

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 8/10/2012 2:56:25 PM >

Post #: 9465
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 2:49:38 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good day!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 9466
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 6:53:18 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

German guy got silver in that crazy open water swimming event. Bravo!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9467
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 7:25:17 PM   
Onime No Kyo

The office has developed an indoor waterfall. All garbage cans have been confiscated to contain the flooding. I had a dream last night that I brough my kayak to work and thought "what a silly dream". Doesnt seem so silly anymore.

Post #: 9468
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 7:59:44 PM   
Dixie

It's been an interesting week in some respects. I spent most of it taking apart a Spitfire's landing gear and reassembling same. I also learned how to prime the Lanc's engines

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 9469
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 8:36:54 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 9470
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:18:32 PM   
USSAmerica

Weekend liberty - Tithe.

Mike

Post #: 9471
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:38:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

This place is so dead....

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 9472
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:38:33 PM   
Onime No Kyo

/

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9473
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:39:03 PM   
Onime No Kyo

No one even laughed at the picture of the horse drinking beer.

Post #: 9474
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:39:21 PM   
Onime No Kyo

You laugh at Torsten drinking beer, but not a horse.

Post #: 9475
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:39:35 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Is Torsten funnier than a horse?

Post #: 9476
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:42:00 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Is it because he is German?

Post #: 9477
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:42:33 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Could he, in fact, be a horse?

Post #: 9478
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:42:50 PM   
Onime No Kyo

A German, beer-drinking horse?

Post #: 9479
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/10/2012 9:43:17 PM   
Onime No Kyo

or is he just a German who drinks enough beer to kill a horse?

Post #: 9480
Page:   <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI