Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  339 340 [341] 342 343   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:39:47 PM   
Historiker

207 BC: Chrysippus, a Greek stoic philosopher, is believed to have died of laughter after giving his donkey wine then seeing it attempt to eat figs.

Dying with fun!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10201
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:40:15 PM   
Historiker

162 BC: Eleazar Maccabeus was crushed to death at the Battle of Beth-zechariah by a war elephant that he believed to be carrying Seleucid King Antiochus V. Charging into battle, Eleazar rushed underneath the elephant and thrust a spear into its belly, whereupon it fell dead on top of him.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10202
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:40:46 PM   
Historiker

64 – 67: Saint Peter was executed by the Romans. According to tradition, he asked not to be crucified in the normal way, but was instead executed on an inverted cross.[9] According to Origen of Alexandria, he said he was not worthy to be crucified in the same way as Jesus.

Respect!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10203
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:40:51 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

892: Sigurd the Mighty of Orkney strapped the head of his defeated foe, Máel Brigte, to his horse's saddle. The teeth of the head grazed against his leg as he rode, causing a fatal infection.

The first case of a poisonous human bite? And a strong case against kilts.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10204
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:41:46 PM   
Historiker

336: Arius, presbyter of Alexandria, is said to have died of sudden diarrhea followed by copious hemorrhaging and anal expulsion of the intestines while he walked across the imperial forum in Constantinople. He may have been poisoned.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10205
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:42:16 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

892: Sigurd the Mighty of Orkney strapped the head of his defeated foe, Máel Brigte, to his horse's saddle. The teeth of the head grazed against his leg as he rode, causing a fatal infection.

I like that story. Late revenge

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 10206
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:42:43 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

207 BC: Chrysippus, a Greek stoic philosopher, is believed to have died of laughter after giving his donkey wine then seeing it attempt to eat figs.

Dying with fun!

That doent sound very stoic to me.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10207
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:42:56 PM   
Historiker

1514: György Dózsa, Székely man-at-arms and peasants' revolt leader in Hungary, was condemned to sit on a red-hot iron throne with a red-hot iron crown on his head and a red-hot sceptre in his hand (mocking his ambition to be king), by Hungarian landed nobility in Transylvania. While Dózsa was still alive, he was set upon and his partially roasted body was eaten by six of his fellow rebels, who had been starved for a week beforehand.

Now that is unique!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10208
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:43:30 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

162 BC: Eleazar Maccabeus was crushed to death at the Battle of Beth-zechariah by a war elephant that he believed to be carrying Seleucid King Antiochus V. Charging into battle, Eleazar rushed underneath the elephant and thrust a spear into its belly, whereupon it fell dead on top of him.

Thats pretty darn heroic!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10209
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:44:04 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

Dying with fun!

true!

But whoever has seen a pet behaving after an anesthesia can understand this.

Post #: 10210
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:44:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

336: Arius, presbyter of Alexandria, is said to have died of sudden diarrhea followed by copious hemorrhaging and anal expulsion of the intestines while he walked across the imperial forum in Constantinople. He may have been poisoned.

That is a very bad day...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10211
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:44:41 PM   
Historiker

1601: Tycho Brahe, Danish astronomer, according to legend, died of complications resulting from a strained bladder at a banquet. As it was considered extremely bad etiquette to leave the table before the meal was finished, he stayed until he became fatally ill. This version of events has since been brought into question as other causes of death (murder by Johannes Kepler, suicide, and mercury poisoning among others) have come to the fore.

Those danes...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10212
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:45:00 PM   
Historiker

1649: Sir Arthur Aston, Royalist commander of the garrison during the Siege of Drogheda, was beaten to death with his own wooden leg, which the Parliamentarian soldiers thought concealed golden coins.

****, this is tough!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10213
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:45:15 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

It takes rooting for the underdog a bit far, dont you think? Besides, I doubt Mael was in any shape to celebrate his master stroke.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10214
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:46:20 PM   
Historiker

1667: James Betts died from asphyxiation after being accidentally sealed in a cupboard by Elizabeth Spencer, at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge in an attempt to hide him from her father, John Spencer.[

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10215
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:46:26 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1514: György Dózsa, Székely man-at-arms and peasants' revolt leader in Hungary, was condemned to sit on a red-hot iron throne with a red-hot iron crown on his head and a red-hot sceptre in his hand (mocking his ambition to be king), by Hungarian landed nobility in Transylvania. While Dózsa was still alive, he was set upon and his partially roasted body was eaten by six of his fellow rebels, who had been starved for a week beforehand.

Now that is unique!

It is Transylvania. Those guys have always been rather creative in their punishments.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10216
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:47:04 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dying with fun!

true!

But whoever has seen a pet behaving after an anesthesia can understand this.

My father still laughs about the time he gave his cat valerian drops.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10217
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:47:05 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It takes rooting for the underdog a bit far, dont you think? Besides, I doubt Mael was in any shape to celebrate his master stroke.

But a master stroke it was!

Post #: 10218
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:48:51 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1601: Tycho Brahe, Danish astronomer, according to legend, died of complications resulting from a strained bladder at a banquet. As it was considered extremely bad etiquette to leave the table before the meal was finished, he stayed until he became fatally ill. This version of events has since been brought into question as other causes of death (murder by Johannes Kepler, suicide, and mercury poisoning among others) have come to the fore.

Those danes...

Thats why the Russians of those time were clearly superior. They had no qualms about getting up, taking a leak in the corner and coming back...all while chewing on a leg of mutton.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10219
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:49:43 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

Now that is unique!

It is Transylvania. Those guys have always been rather creative in their punishments.

Like Vlad Tepes Dracul...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10220
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:50:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1649: Sir Arthur Aston, Royalist commander of the garrison during the Siege of Drogheda, was beaten to death with his own wooden leg, which the Parliamentarian soldiers thought concealed golden coins.

****, this is tough!

The version I heard didnt mention any coins. Still, a tough day at work.

The English really didnt do themselves any favors in Ireland.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10221
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:51:04 PM   
Historiker

1755: Henry Hall died from injuries he sustained after molten lead fell into his throat while looking up at a burning lighthouse.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10222
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:52:15 PM   
Historiker

1762: Crown Prince Sado, then heir to King Yeongjo of Joseon, was ordered to be sealed alive in a rice chest after his father decided he was unfit to succeed him. He survived inside for 8 days.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10223
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:52:42 PM   
Historiker

1771: Adolf Frederick, King of Sweden, died of digestion problems on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, smoked herring and champagne, topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: hetvägg served in a bowl of hot milk. He is thus remembered by Swedish schoolchildren as "the king who ate himself to death."

Sauerkraut!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10224
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:53:13 PM   
Historiker

1794: John Kendrick, an American sea captain and explorer, was killed in the Hawaiian Islands when a British ship mistakenly used a loaded cannon to fire a salute to Kendrick's vessel.

Damn powerfull salute!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10225
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:53:47 PM   
Historiker

1816: Gouverneur Morris, an American statesman, died after sticking a piece of whale bone through his urinary tract to relieve a blockage.

Americans...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10226
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:54:30 PM   
Historiker

1830: William Huskisson, statesman and financier, was crushed to death by a locomotive (Stephenson's Rocket), at the public opening of the world's first mechanically powered passenger railway.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10227
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:54:34 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1667: James Betts died from asphyxiation after being accidentally sealed in a cupboard by Elizabeth Spencer, at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge in an attempt to hide him from her father, John Spencer.[

Reminds me of a joke (pardon the hasty translation from Russian)

Two guys are standing in line at the gates of heaven, waiting for St. Peter to call them. One of them decides to strike up a conversation.

A: So, how did you die?

B: I was on a business trip but came back early. I walk into the house and find my wife, in bed, naked, and apparently very surprised. I searched the whole house for her lover. I looked in the closet, under the bed, in the shower, on the balcony, but didnt find him. By that time I was so enraged that I suffered a heart attack and died on the spot. How did you die?

A: Well, lets just say that if you had looked in the refrigerator we would both be alive.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10228
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:55:07 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But a master stroke it was!

Sort of reminds me of the Black Knight.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10229
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:56:02 PM   
Historiker

1871: Clement Vallandigham, a lawyer and Ohio politician, was demonstrating how a victim may possibly have shot himself while drawing a weapon from a kneeling position when he shot himself in the process. Though the defendant, Thomas MeGehan, was ultimately cleared, Vallandigham died from his wound.

Now that's a good lawyer!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10230
Page:   <<   < prev  339 340 [341] 342 343   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  339 340 [341] 342 343   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI