Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  343 344 [345] 346 347   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:45:31 PM   
Historiker

1978: Janet Parker, a British medical photographer, died of smallpox in 1978, ten months after the disease was eradicated in the wild, when a researcher at the laboratory where Parker worked accidentally released some virus into the air of the building. Parker is the last known smallpox fatality.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10321
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:46:23 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

1939: Finnish actress Sirkka Sari died when she fell down a chimney into a heating boiler. She had mistaken the chimney for a balcony.

How can you mistake a chimey for a balcony???

Well, she was Finnish.

We should ask Puhis whether both look alike in Finland

If he's actually Finnish, he's too drunk to answer coherently.

Oh and apropos of nothing at all, methinks Walloc might be part Finnish as well...

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10322
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:46:27 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

1963: Thích Quảng Đức, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, sat down in the middle of a busy intersection in Saigon, covered himself in gasoline, and lit himself on fire, burning himself to death.

One of the most famous pictures/videos in history, I guess...

Yep. Although it does seem to be quite the rage these days in Tibet.

are they still burning themselves in numbers there?
I guess that's considered "old news" in Germany, so we don't hear anything about it any more...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 10323
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:47:03 PM   
Historiker

1978: Kurt Gödel, the Austrian/American logician and mathematician, died of starvation when his wife was hospitalized. Gödel suffered from extreme paranoia and refused to eat food prepared by anyone else.

Mountain-Germans...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10324
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:47:42 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1969; Jan Palach, a Czech student, committed suicide by self-immolation, in Wenceslas Square, Prague, as a political protest against the "demoralization" of Czechoslovakian citizens caused by the occupation by the Soviet Union. Palach was the first of a group of students to set himself on fire.

Yeah, that turned out a to be a great marketing decision by the Kremlin.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10325
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:47:57 PM   
Historiker

1981: Kenji Urada, a Japanese factory worker, was killed by a malfunctioning robot he was working on at a Kawasaki plant in Japan. The robot's arm pushed him into a grinding machine, killing him.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10326
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:48:37 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1972: Leslie Harvey, guitarist of Stone the Crows, was electrocuted on stage by a live microphone.

IIRC one of the Metallica guys walked into a firework, didnt die, fortunately.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10327
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:48:54 PM   
Historiker

1982: Actor Vic Morrow and child-actor Myca Dinh Le (age 7) were decapitated, and child-actress Renee Shin-Yi Chen (age 6) was crushed, by a helicopter blade during filming of Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Keep your kids away from Twilight!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10328
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:49:15 PM   
Historiker

1982: David Grundman was killed near Lake Pleasant, Arizona while shooting at cacti with his shotgun. After he fired several shots at a 26 ft (8 m) tall Saguaro Cactus from extremely close range, a 4 ft (1.2 m) limb of the cactus detached and fell on him, crushing him.

Respect!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10329
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:49:18 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1974: Basil Brown, a 48-year-old health food advocate from Croydon, drank himself to death with carrot juice.

Beer:1 Carrot Juice: 0

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10330
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:49:59 PM   
Historiker

1983: Jimmy Lee Gray, during his execution in a Mississippi gas chamber, died bashing his head against a metal pole behind the chair he was strapped into. The poisonous gas had failed to kill him but left him in agony and gasping for eight minutes.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10331
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:50:29 PM   
Historiker

1983: Dick Wertheim was an American tennis linesman who died from blunt cranial trauma at a match at the 1983 US Open. Stefan Edberg sent an errant serve directly into his groin, causing him to fall and hit his head on the pavement.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10332
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:50:45 PM   
Historiker

1984: Tommy Cooper, British comedian, died of a heart attack while performing during a live TV broadcast at Her Majesty's Theatre in London. Initially the audience, thinking it was part of the act, continued to laugh as he lay collapsed on the stage. He was then pulled from sight as attempts were made to revive him off stage.

Great show!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10333
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:51:34 PM   
Historiker

1984: Jon-Erik Hexum, an American television actor, died after he shot himself in the head with a prop gun loaded with a single blank cartridge. Hexum was playing Russian Roulette during a break in filming.

Russian Roulette always is a great idea! Especially if some dumbass is playing it with a semi-automatic pistol (as there are videos on the net as well...)

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10334
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:51:52 PM   
Historiker

1986: More than 1,700 were killed after a limnic eruption from Lake Nyos in Cameroon, released approximately 100 million cubic metres of carbon dioxide that quickly descended on the lake and killed oxygen-dependent life within a 25 kilometre (15 mile) radius, including three villages. The same phenomenon is also blamed for the deaths of 37 near Lake Monoun in 1984.

Holy ****ing ****!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10335
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:52:15 PM   
Historiker

1987: Budd Dwyer, the State Treasurer of Pennsylvania, committed suicide during a televised press conference in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Facing a potential 55-year jail sentence for alleged involvement in a conspiracy, Dwyer shot himself in the head with a revolver.

"Since Dwyer died in office, his widow Joanne was able to collect full survivor benefits, totaling over $1.28 million. A spokesman for Dwyer suggested that he may have committed suicide to preserve the state-provided pension for his family, whose finances had been ruined by legal defense costs."

< Message edited by Historiker -- 8/18/2012 10:53:10 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10336
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:53:13 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1974: Christine Chubbuck, an American television news reporter, committed suicide during a live broadcast on July 15. Eight minutes into her talk show on WXLT-TV in Sarasota, Florida, she shot herself in the head with a revolver.

I hear of the Budd Dwyer thing. And then there was that guy in Poland not too long ago.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10337
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:54:16 PM   
Historiker

1987: Franco Brun, a 22-year-old prisoner at Toronto East Detention Centre, in Toronto, Ontario, choked to death after attempting to swallow a Gideon's Bible.

No swallowing bibles!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 10338
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:54:24 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1975: Alex Mitchell, a 50-year-old from Norfolk, England, died laughing while watching The Goodies. A particular scene had caused Mitchell to laugh nonstop for twenty-five minutes before dying of heart failure.

I guess there can be worse ways to go!

I thought laughter was supposed to extend your life.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10339
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:54:37 PM   
Historiker

1991: Carl Hulsey, 77, of Cherokee County, Georgia, was butted to death by a pet goat he had been training to act as a "guard dog"

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10340
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:55:06 PM   
Historiker

1993: Actor Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee, was shot and killed by a prop gun during the making of the movie The Crow. The accident happened after a mistake in prop handling procedures: In a prior scene a revolver was fired using a cartridge with only a primer and a bullet, but the primer provided enough force to push the round out of the cartridge into the barrel of the revolver, where it stuck. The gun was then reused to shoot the death scene of Lee's character. This time it was reloaded with a blank cartridge that contained propellant and a primer. When actor Michael Massee fired the gun, the bullet was propelled into Lee.

I rember that happening...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10341
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:55:22 PM   
Historiker

1993: Garry Hoy, a 38-year-old lawyer in Toronto, Ontario, fell to his death on July 9, 1993, after he threw himself against a window on the 24th floor of the Toronto-Dominion Centre in an attempt to prove to a group of visitors that the glass was "unbreakable." The glass did not break, but popped out of the window frame.

"Like a boss!"

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10342
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:55:54 PM   
Historiker

1993: Michael A. Shingledecker Jr. was killed when he and a friend were struck by a pickup truck while lying flat on the yellow dividing line of a two-lane highway in Polk, Pennsylvania. They were copying a daredevil stunt from the movie The Program. Marco Birkhimer died of a similar accident while performing the same stunt in Route 206 of Bordentown, New Jersey.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10343
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:57:31 PM   
Historiker

1994: Gloria Ramirez was admitted to Riverside General Hospital, in Riverside, California, for complications of advanced cervical cancer. Before she died, her caregivers claimed that Ramirez's body mysteriously emitted toxic fumes that made several emergency room workers very ill.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10344
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:59:33 PM   
Historiker

1994: Jeremy Brenno, a 16-year-old golfer from Gloversville, New York, was killed when he threw his club against a bench in a fit of rage, breaking the shaft. Part of the shaft bounced back and pierced his heart.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10345
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:00:01 PM   
Historiker

1995: A 39-year-old man committed suicide in Canberra, Australia by shooting himself three times with a pump action shotgun. The first shot passed through his chest, but missed all of the vital organs. He reloaded and shot away his throat and part of his jaw. Breathing through the throat wound, he again reloaded, held the gun against his chest with his hands and operated the trigger with his toes. This shot entered the thoracic cavity and demolished the heart, killing him.

Impressive stunt!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10346
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:00:44 PM   
Historiker

1996: Sharon Lopatka, from Maryland, was killed by Robert Glass who claimed that she had solicited him to torture and kill her for the purpose of sexual gratification.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10347
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:01:43 PM   
Historiker

1997: Karen Wetterhahn, a professor of chemistry at Dartmouth College, died of mercury poisoning ten months after a few drops of dimethylmercury landed on her protective gloves. Although Wetterhahn had been following the required procedures for handling the chemical, it still permeated her gloves and skin within seconds. As a result of her death, regulations were altered.

We now are forced by the EU to use energy saving lamps that contain mercury. Thanks EU!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10348
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:02:26 PM   
Historiker

1998: Tom and Eileen Lonergan were presumed dead after being stranded after scuba diving with a group of divers off Australia's Great Barrier Reef. The group's boat accidentally abandoned them after an incorrect head count taken by the dive boat crew. Their bodies were never recovered.

There was a movie about this incident. Not even bad!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10349
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:02:48 PM   
Historiker

1998 October: The entire association football team of Bena Tshadi playing against Basanga was killed by lightning during a match in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Everyone on Basanga, the home team, survived.

Who volunteers to play them next?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10350
Page:   <<   < prev  343 344 [345] 346 347   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  343 344 [345] 346 347   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI