Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:02:52 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

1975: Pit Dernitz, a tourist in Namibia, was killed by lions in front of his wife and children during a filming excursion. On an impulse, Dernitz had left his vehicle to film a feeding lion and within seconds he was tackled by a large lioness. Footage of his death has been featured in many films, including Savage Man Savage Beast and Traces of Death.

The video can be found on the internet by googleing the name. I deliberately didn't link it here and I wouldn't recommend anyone to watch it if he can't stand REAL graphic violence!

Sad, but very, very stupid.

My wife told me of an incident that was very big in Romania when she was in college there. Apparently, an American couple was honeymooning in the mountain part of the country. There are many bears there and the authorities routinely caution people not to approach bears under any circumstances and there are many signs up to the same effect. So these two Americans were hiking through the forest when the came upon a female bear and her young cubs. The lady of the couple went to "pet the teddy bear" while her husband filmed. The effects were predictable.

The story got exposure when the family tried to sue the Romanian government for wrongful death or failure to protect her or somesuch and were politely told to f*ck off and that the government was not responsible for manifestations of human stupidity. Damn right too.

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 8/18/2012 11:22:39 PM >

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10351
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:03:29 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

1955: Margo Jones, theater director, was killed by exposure to carbon tetrachloride fumes from her newly cleaned carpet.

Good excuse for letting a WU clean the house!

Any science type out there that can explain what that stuff is?

A molecule with 4 Cl atoms

Thanks, dumbass.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10352
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:04:17 PM   
Historiker

1999: Dominguez Garcia was killed February 25, 1999, by an airborne cow in Vacaville, California. The animal had strayed onto the highway and was struck by another vehicle, launching it into his lane where it crashed through his windshield

Beware of airborne animals!

2011: A 25-year-old woman from Ottawa, Ontario and Steven Leon, 40, of Gatineau, Quebec, died after an airborne American black bear smashed through the windshield of their SUV near Luskville, Quebec. The bear had been hit by another vehicle, launching it into the oncoming lane where it landed on the SUV.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10353
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:04:32 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1977: Tom Pryce, a Formula One driver at the 1977 South African Grand Prix, was killed when he was struck in the face by a track marshal's fire extinguisher. The marshal, Frederik Jansen van Vuuren, was running across the track to attend to Pryce's team-mate's burning car when he was struck and killed by Pryce's car. Van Vuuren himself was literally torn in half as the car ploughed into him at speeds exceeding 270 km/h (170 mph).

Oh dear....

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10354
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:05:08 PM   
Historiker

1999: Betty Stobbs, a 67-year-old woman from Durham, England, was killed when a flock of sheep attacked her power bike and pushed her over a 100-foot cliff. She survived the fall, only to be crushed by the falling bike.

Sheeps...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10355
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:05:37 PM   
Historiker

1999: Jon Desborough, a physical education teacher at Liverpool College died when he slipped and fell onto the blunt end of a javelin he was retrieving. The javelin passed through his eye socket and into his brain, causing severe brain damage and putting him into a coma. He died a month later.
1999: Professional golfer Payne Stewart and five others died when the airplane they were on lost cabin pressure in-flight, causing fatal hypoxia. The aircraft continued on auto-pilot for several hours before running out of fuel and crashing in South Dakota.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10356
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:05:43 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1978: Janet Parker, a British medical photographer, died of smallpox in 1978, ten months after the disease was eradicated in the wild, when a researcher at the laboratory where Parker worked accidentally released some virus into the air of the building. Parker is the last known smallpox fatality.

And then they wonder how Hollywood comes up with this stuff. But dont vaccines work even if the disease is already present?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10357
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:06:29 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1978: Kurt Gödel, the Austrian/American logician and mathematician, died of starvation when his wife was hospitalized. Gödel suffered from extreme paranoia and refused to eat food prepared by anyone else.

Mountain-Germans...

One has to wonder what he did before marriage.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10358
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:06:48 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1975: Pit Dernitz, a tourist in Namibia, was killed by lions in front of his wife and children during a filming excursion. On an impulse, Dernitz had left his vehicle to film a feeding lion and within seconds he was tackled by a large lioness. Footage of his death has been featured in many films, including Savage Man Savage Beast and Traces of Death.

The video can be found on the internet by googleing the name. I deliberately didn't link it here and I wouldn't recommend anyone to watch it if he can't stand REAL graphic violence!

quote:

Pit Dernitz

Sad, but very, very stupid.

My wife told me of an incident that was very big in Romania when she was in college there. Apparently, an American couple was honeymooning in the mountain part of the country. There are many bears there and the authorities routinely caution people not to approach bears under any circumstances and there are many signs up to the same effect. So these two Americans were hiking through the forest when the came upon a female bear and her young cubs. The lady of the couple went to "pet the teddy bear" while her husband filmed. The effects were predictable.

The story got exposure when the family tried to sue the Romanian government for wrongful death or failure to protect her or somesuch and were politely told to f*ck off and that the government was not responsible for manifestations of human stupidity. Damn right too.

How old is your wife?

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 10359
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:07:51 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1982: David Grundman was killed near Lake Pleasant, Arizona while shooting at cacti with his shotgun. After he fired several shots at a 26 ft (8 m) tall Saguaro Cactus from extremely close range, a 4 ft (1.2 m) limb of the cactus detached and fell on him, crushing him.

Respect!

Revenge of the cactus!!!!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10360
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:08:24 PM   
Historiker

And after mocking several other nationalities, I finally have a famous German case:

2001: Bernd-Jürgen Brandes, from Germany, was voluntarily stabbed repeatedly and then partly eaten by Armin Meiwes (who was later called the Cannibal of Rotenburg). Brandes had answered an internet advertisement by Meiwes looking for someone for this purpose. Brandes explicitly stated in his will that he wished to be killed and eaten.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10361
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:09:29 PM   
Historiker

2001: Gregory Biggs, a homeless American man in Fort Worth, Texas, was struck by a car being driven by drunk driver, Chante Jawan Mallard and became lodged in her windshield with severe but not immediately fatal injuries. Mallard drove home and left the car in her garage with Biggs still lodged in her car's windshield. Biggs died of his injuries several hours later.

She was sentenced to 50 years in prison!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10362
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:10:21 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1983: Jimmy Lee Gray, during his execution in a Mississippi gas chamber, died bashing his head against a metal pole behind the chair he was strapped into. The poisonous gas had failed to kill him but left him in agony and gasping for eight minutes.

The crime he was being being executed for was kidnapping, anally raping and killing a 3 year old girl. That while on parole after raping and killing a 16 year old girl. So no pity here.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10363
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:10:31 PM   
Historiker

2001: Michael Colombini, a 6-year-old American boy from Croton-on-Hudson, New York, was struck and killed, at Westchester Regional Medical Centre, by an oxygen tank when it was pulled into the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine while he underwent a test. He had begun to experience breathing difficulties while in the MRI and when an anaesthesiologist brought a portable oxygen canister into the magnetic field, it was pulled from his hands and struck the boy in the head.

2002: Brittanie Cecil, a 13-year-old American, was struck in the head by a hockey puck shot by Espen Knutsen and deflected into the crowd at an NHL hockey game in Columbus, Ohio. She died two days later in the hospital.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10364
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:10:54 PM   
Historiker

2002: Richard Sumner, a British artist suffering from schizophrenia, went into a remote section of Clocaenog Forest in Denbighshire, Wales, handcuffed himself to a tree and threw the keys out of his reach. His skeleton was discovered three years later. There were signs that he may have later changed his mind.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10365
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:10:55 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1983: Dick Wertheim was an American tennis linesman who died from blunt cranial trauma at a match at the 1983 US Open. Stefan Edberg sent an errant serve directly into his groin, causing him to fall and hit his head on the pavement.

Ouch.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10366
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:12:04 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1983: Jimmy Lee Gray, during his execution in a Mississippi gas chamber, died bashing his head against a metal pole behind the chair he was strapped into. The poisonous gas had failed to kill him but left him in agony and gasping for eight minutes.

The crime he was being being executed for was kidnapping, anally raping and killing a 3 year old girl. That while on parole after raping and killing a 16 year old girl. So no pity here.

Well, I don't think a government should torture or kill such a brutally way. But of course, my pity is quite limited hearing his case as well...

Post #: 10367
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:12:25 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1984: Jon-Erik Hexum, an American television actor, died after he shot himself in the head with a prop gun loaded with a single blank cartridge. Hexum was playing Russian Roulette during a break in filming.

Russian Roulette always is a great idea! Especially if some dumbass is playing it with a semi-automatic pistol (as there are videos on the net as well...)

Yay Darwin.

Now, I figured a blank would burn you pretty well, but didnt think it could be fatal.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10368
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:13:30 PM   
Historiker

2003: Brian Douglas Wells, an American pizza delivery man in Erie, Pennsylvania, was killed when a time bomb fastened around his neck exploded. At the time of his death he had been apprehended by the police for robbing a bank. Wells told police that three people had locked the bomb around his neck and would not release it had he refused to commit the robbery.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10369
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:13:49 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1986: More than 1,700 were killed after a limnic eruption from Lake Nyos in Cameroon, released approximately 100 million cubic metres of carbon dioxide that quickly descended on the lake and killed oxygen-dependent life within a 25 kilometre (15 mile) radius, including three villages. The same phenomenon is also blamed for the deaths of 37 near Lake Monoun in 1984.

Holy ****ing ****!

Saw that on the Science Channel. There are even theories out there revolving around massive CO2 bubbles causing the Bermuda Triangle disappearances.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10370
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:14:25 PM   
Historiker

2003: Dr. Hitoshi Christopher Nikaidoh, a surgeon, was decapitated as he stepped onto an elevator at Christus St. Joseph Hospital in Houston, Texas, USA on August 16, 2003. Improper maintenance caused the safeties to fail, and the doors closed on Nikaidoh's head. The car then ascended with him still trapped by the doors.

From now on think of this each time you enter an elevator!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10371
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:15:29 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1986: More than 1,700 were killed after a limnic eruption from Lake Nyos in Cameroon, released approximately 100 million cubic metres of carbon dioxide that quickly descended on the lake and killed oxygen-dependent life within a 25 kilometre (15 mile) radius, including three villages. The same phenomenon is also blamed for the deaths of 37 near Lake Monoun in 1984.

Holy ****ing ****!

Saw that on the Science Channel. There are even theories out there revolving around massive CO2 bubbles causing the Bermuda Triangle disappearances.

I think it is methane they are speculating about. But never mind, this theory makes sense. Or it is the aliens...

Post #: 10372
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:15:48 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1987: Budd Dwyer, the State Treasurer of Pennsylvania, committed suicide during a televised press conference in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Facing a potential 55-year jail sentence for alleged involvement in a conspiracy, Dwyer shot himself in the head with a revolver.

"Since Dwyer died in office, his widow Joanne was able to collect full survivor benefits, totaling over $1.28 million. A spokesman for Dwyer suggested that he may have committed suicide to preserve the state-provided pension for his family, whose finances had been ruined by legal defense costs."

I thought he was convicted of accepting bribes. He did maintain his innocence to the end. Still a confusing story to me. Some seem to say that he did it because his high moral character refused to accept the conviction for something he knew he didnt do.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10373
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:16:12 PM   
Historiker

2004: Ronald McClagish, from Murrow, Cambridgeshire in England, was trapped inside a cupboard when a wardrobe outside fell over and made it impossible for him to get out. McClagish survived for a week before succumbing to bronchitis, which he had contracted when he removed a waterpipe in an attempt to free himself and the cupboard was partially flooded.

Did I already post this? Quite impressive story!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10374
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:16:32 PM   
Historiker

2004: An unidentified Taiwanese woman died of alcohol intoxication after immersion for twelve hours in a bathtub filled with 40% ethanol. Her blood alcohol content was 1.35%. It was believed that she had immersed herself as a response to the SARS epidemic.

Salute!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10375
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:16:53 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1987: Franco Brun, a 22-year-old prisoner at Toronto East Detention Centre, in Toronto, Ontario, choked to death after attempting to swallow a Gideon's Bible.

No swallowing bibles!

Was it intentional or an attempt to internalize the word of the lord by osmosis?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10376
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:17:02 PM   
Historiker

2004: Tracy J. Kraling, 31, was killed at Regions Hospital in Minnesota after entering a walk-in autoclave. The door closed while she was inside, and the machine automatically started, scalding her with 180°F(82°C) water.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10377
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:17:24 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1991: Carl Hulsey, 77, of Cherokee County, Georgia, was butted to death by a pet goat he had been training to act as a "guard dog"

Good dog...err..goat.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10378
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:17:54 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1987: Franco Brun, a 22-year-old prisoner at Toronto East Detention Centre, in Toronto, Ontario, choked to death after attempting to swallow a Gideon's Bible.

No swallowing bibles!

Was it intentional or an attempt to internalize the word of the lord by osmosis?

Post #: 10379
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 11:18:28 PM   
Historiker

2004: Francis "Franky" Brohm, 23, of Marietta, Georgia was leaning out of a car window and decapitated by a telephone pole support wire. The car's intoxicated driver, John Hutcherson, 21, drove nearly 12 miles to his home with the headless body in the passenger seat, parked the car in his driveway, then went to bed. A neighbour saw the bloody corpse still in the car and notified police. Brohm's head was later discovered at the accident scene.

Wouzld fit quite nicely into a movie...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10380
Page:   <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI