Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/28/2012 2:40:40 PM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Are you guys asleep at the wheel.

The top is complete. if you all want me to insert it let me know.

Thanks for your help! I think it is better if you insert it into the planetop image (the one with improved art that we're using, I believe it should be on RA site), and send to John.

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 181
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/28/2012 3:05:06 PM   
Kitakami

There is one other small thing. Dive Bomber unit 106-Saeki Ku T-1, which starts on board of CVE Taiyo is attached to 13th Air Flotilla [S][R]. Might it be better for that air unit to start as Independent, since it starts onboard a flattop?

What I am finding is things so small that they can be lived with, but if you are going to do do an update, might as well :)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 182
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/28/2012 3:45:55 PM   
John 3rd

Good Work: Added.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 183
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/29/2012 8:39:35 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

quote:

Are you guys asleep at the wheel.

The top is complete. if you all want me to insert it let me know.

Thanks for your help! I think it is better if you insert it into the planetop image (the one with improved art that we're using, I believe it should be on RA site), and send to John.

It's more than likely my settings but I haven't been able to download anything off the RA site even when I turn my anti virus off.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 184
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 3:26:17 PM   
FatR

quote:

It's more than likely my settings but I haven't been able to download anything off the RA site even when I turn my anti virus off.

Can you PM me your email, so I'll forward the files to you myself?

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 185
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 4:16:04 PM   
Cavalry Corp

John

In 4.6 the two Jap CLAA CL conversions seem dropped.

I would have thought in the spirit of your scn that the Japs would have looked at converting as many of the old CL to CLAA as possible - just a thought?

I also notice Kitakami and Oi do not have their TT broadsides and are rather lame affairs - is that deliberate?
Cav.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 186
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 4:23:06 PM   
Cavalry Corp

John,

Also I have been trying to use the Assault Divisions expecting these guys to be useful - but they are rubbish. Any thoughts on how to use them? Their CV is low am i missing something about them like unloading faster?

Cav

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 187
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 4:36:35 PM   
John 3rd

Cavalry:

1. The conversions SHOULD be there. Let me pull up the game and check.
2. I've had pretty fair luck with the SNLF Assault Brigades. You think they take too long to unload? Everything within their OOB is standard for the SNLF unit. Can you provide some more detail?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

Post #: 188
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 4:47:24 PM   
John 3rd

OK. Took a look and things appear to be correct.

Remember that the older CLs are rather different in RA then other Mods. Since the Katori Training Cruisers are not built in this game (allowing for several more Agano's), all the oldest CLs have been converted over to 'Training' CLs and, thus, have a very different look and feel to them. The Naka's, Sendai's, and other newer (of the old CLs) have the historical upgrades.

We did not put in a CLAA Option for these ships due to the emphasis that is placed on adding and changing out AA on CAs, BCs, BBs, and CVs. I believe we were balancing increasing heavy AA gun production with the reality of yard space and priorities of which class needed upgraded first. There was a discussion to allow a CLAA upgrade but not until mid-to-late 1944 once everyone else had gone through the upgrade process. That is something that could always be a possibility...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 189
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 4:51:41 PM   
ny59giants

Don't forget more naval leaders that can go for the new SNLF Assault Divisions. Need some Capt or Admirals for those units.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 190
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 4:52:55 PM   
Cavalry Corp

I was not saying they did or did not take longer to unload - I thought that was maybe why they are called as they are and was hoping you would tell me that is their advantage:).

Their CV is pretty low? I think because the Exp is quite low. I would expect them to a be abit better than most land units , I think its 55 and your para Div is 60.

Great mod though feels really nice.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 191
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 4:57:33 PM   
Cavalry Corp

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

OK. Took a look and things appear to be correct.

Remember that the older CLs are rather different in RA then other Mods. Since the Katori Training Cruisers are not built in this game (allowing for several more Agano's), all the oldest CLs have been converted over to 'Training' CLs and, thus, have a very different look and feel to them. The Naka's, Sendai's, and other newer (of the old CLs) have the historical upgrades.

We did not put in a CLAA Option for these ships due to the emphasis that is placed on adding and changing out AA on CAs, BCs, BBs, and CVs. I believe we were balancing increasing heavy AA gun production with the reality of yard space and priorities of which class needed upgraded first. There was a discussion to allow a CLAA upgrade but not until mid-to-late 1944 once everyone else had gone through the upgrade process. That is something that could always be a possibility...

thanks for the explanation - I see where you are coming from now. It would be nice if by 44 they could change to CLAA as an option.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 192
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 5:00:04 PM   
Cavalry Corp

I have found a couple of things that are really helping Japan in the early game.

Having the Emily at the start is real nice plus the maint of Emily and Mavis is now 3. These planes are so very useful and Jap recon capability in early 42 is looking very strong.

Post #: 193
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 7/31/2012 6:03:48 PM   
John 3rd

Having a decent production of Emily and mavis does help a bunch within the Mod. I like it a lot.

The CLAA Option could be seriously examined for the old CLs.

We have to remember the creation of the SNLF Assault units begins in 1939 and 1940. Not much time for new leadership and experience to develop. I did add 8-10 improved Leaders for handling these units. As to experience, could someone look at Scenario 1 and see what the 'normal' SNLF unit starts at? The new units are simply three of the old ones added together to form a triangular-based Brigade so XP should be the same.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

Post #: 194
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/1/2012 3:05:50 PM   
FatR

I got the corrected planetop files from SuluSea and uploaded them to the site. Thanks again!

A note on cruiser AA - I did a significant rehaul of small-calibre flak in the latest versions of the mod. Besides switching gun arcs to more plausible here and there, flak upgrades are somewhat optimized (i.e., the best known outfits are used as standard) and come earlier. Adding upgrades to new medium AAs, they should be more formidable in this role already. We'll see how that works when anyone gets late into the game.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 195
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/2/2012 8:20:56 PM   
FatR

One thing that I'm noticing recently is that in my Scen 2 game I'm having problems with supply of quality pilots for IJN, unlike my RA 1.0 game, where losses were roughly similar in the same timeframe. I wonder if extra aicraft groups of RA produced that much of cumulative effect in terms of pilot training.

I advise everyone playing Japan in RA to monitor their supply from the beginning, though. Late war sees a sharp rise in its consumption and initial levels aren't good.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 196
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/2/2012 10:12:15 PM   
MrBlizzard

In my PBEM RA 4.1 happened something strange:
A jap sub could put 2 torpedoes into Enterprise CV disbanded in Darwin. Darwin has a port 3(3) so, accordingto manual,
this shouldn't be possible as sub attacks against disbanded ships are possible only until ports of level 2.
I'm wondering if this is a feature of RA, different from stock, or is just a bug of witp-ae.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 197
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/3/2012 4:26:49 PM   
FatR

As far as I know it is flatly impossible to change workings of the program code, that governs how game mechanics work, through modding tools. So, most likely that was a bug.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 198
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/6/2012 5:54:18 PM   
Kitakami

Another question (seems like I have become full of them lately!)... is the garrison level of Yenan correct at 380? It is higher than Chunking and Sian combined!!! Changsha at 300 I can understand, but Yenan feels somewhat high.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 199
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/7/2012 3:59:11 PM   
John 3rd

We raised the garrison requirements in China for both sides by quite a bit. Our resident China expert wrote a wonderful description as to why the numbers were set as they are for various reasons. I moved some troops around in RA 4.1 or 4.2 to make sure that the garrisons were covered or could be covered reasonably quickly.

KEEP asking your questions!

I am taking the family up to the mountains for the next 4 days and will be back after that. Should be able to access the Forum but that is about it.

Plan to do an RA Update next week covering the topics listed here over the last 20-30 Posts. Want to do it methodically so I will Post the changes BEFORE they are done. If anyone sees more issues or bubbles over with more questions (like Kitakami) NOW is the time to ask!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 200
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/7/2012 7:08:33 PM   
Kitakami

Thanks for the reply! Not that I can't cover that garrison (if and when I conquer the city, that is). It just felt inordinately high. But if it is correct, I will need to adapt :)

On a totally different train of thought, the supply situation is a killer! I started turn 1 at -30K/day!!! I am much better now, but still in the red. I was used to be very careful with HI, but now that I have that down pat, you come wth another beast to haunt me. WAY TO GO!!! :D

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 201
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/8/2012 10:07:06 PM   
John 3rd

I've had issues with supply and fuel. This was the whole point of RA. You get some stuff front-loaded but your economy is headed down the tubes unless you grab stuff FAST!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 202
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/8/2012 10:13:21 PM   
Kitakami

Fuel is not THAT bad... precisely because once you grab a few of the refineries (and the big enemy ports), things get much better.
Supply, on the other hand, is a problem especially with regards to industrial expansion (engines, airframes, vehicles, and at least one repair shipyard all need supply). I would really appreciate your thoughts on these in a PM if you have the time and the inclination to share them :)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 203
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/9/2012 4:10:52 PM   
FatR

I barely stabilized supply around 2300 thousands for 1943, by grabbing nearly all of China (no repairs to any captured LI). But by 1944 this doesn't seem enough, because air warfare becomes more intense, and I'm taking large ground losses. I was forced to stop all non-vital base construction (I strongly advise to avoid needless fort building) and now I'm abstaining from replenishment of low-quality infantry formations. Getting supply to frontlines when you work on an insufficient budget is also a problem I can't just drop 15-20k at every isolated base and call it a day. Quality of my aircraft park and pilot pool is beyond wildest dreams of RL Japanese, but I have problems keeping them in the air...

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 204
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/9/2012 4:51:41 PM   
Kitakami

Thanks! That gives me a benchmark. I had already decided not to repair any LI, and to build up the HI in places where I conquer resources and oil (Java? Singapore?) as to alleviate transport strain.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 205
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/18/2012 3:59:34 AM   
Dan Nichols

John 3rd, the write up for your mod on the babes site says that the Allies should have almost 10 CVE conversions. I can only find 5 of them. I see 3 Tangier AVs and 2 Kittyhawk AKVs. That is all. What am I missing?

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 206
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/18/2012 6:03:37 AM   
John 3rd

One of the Fleet Oiler Classes (AOs) are allowed to convert.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

Post #: 207
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/18/2012 12:36:29 PM   
Dan Nichols

I think you might want to look at it again. In the editor it shows a bind of 1000 that lets CVE Sangamon* convert to AO Neosho*. But I can't see any CVE Sangamon* appearing. There are some AO Neosho* ships that appear in the game, and the ones that have arrived do not have any conversions listed.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 208
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/23/2012 5:45:37 PM   
Dan Nichols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

I think you might want to look at it again. In the editor it shows a bind of 1000 that lets CVE Sangamon* convert to AO Neosho*. But I can't see any CVE Sangamon* appearing. There are some AO Neosho* ships that appear in the game, and the ones that have arrived do not have any conversions listed.

John, did you get a chance to look at this?

Post #: 209
RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 - 8/23/2012 9:27:24 PM   
John 3rd

I haven't had a chance Dan. Sorry about that. Will do so right now and get back with a note.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Reluctant Admiral 4.5 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI