Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Few Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Few Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Few Questions - 8/26/2012 4:43:41 AM   
lightheart

I checked the characters and diplomacy screen of galactopedia before posting. Sorry if I missed something. I also promise help other newbies in like-threads if people help me. I don't expect one person to answer all these.

(1)
How is the fleet leader decided/changed?, what determines which ship is the leader (with the star)?, Is your fleet admiral character always in the ship with the star?

(2)
So big blue stars mean refueling base, not necessarily a colony, so you can establish such a base without a colony ...what is such a base called (just a right click on a gas giant to establish?).

(3)
I assume you can change the capital or something also, is it best to send ambassadors/leaders to certain colonies (leader in capital, ambassadors at edge of territory).

(4)
I bought an enemy to be's territory map and galxy map to try and pin-point where they were, unfortunately their colony was still hidden to me, why is this ...I can see the position of other civilisations in the diplomacy screen (I was going to place an embargo after they ceased trade).

(5)
Would cycling through construction ships or ship yards allow you to determine the position of mining bases. I had a low level of polymer, I did find a resource but was unable to determine when it would be complete until it was complete... it would be better if I could gauge the progress on critical mining infrastructure.

< Message edited by lightheart -- 8/26/2012 4:49:30 AM >

sees unseen
Post #: 1
RE: Few Questions - 8/26/2012 5:57:34 AM   
feelotraveller

1) Don't really know. Either the biggest or the one with the most firepower in the fleet? Don't think you can change it (I've never bothered) but you could look on the fleet screen. Yes for the admirals, in my experience.

2) Not a special base. They just indicate points where a large amount of fuel is for refueling. They will disappear (the icons not the bases) if you use all/most of it up. They just point you to good places to get lots of fuel. Be aware that there may be places with small amounts of fuel available for refueling which do not get the icon...

3) You can change the capital from the colonies screen. There's a 'make this colony the capital' button. Pretty rare to do it. It is best to have your leader at your capital as they don't work as effectively elsewhere. It's best to send your ambassadors off to work in alien capitals. If mine are in my territory (because no aliens to ambass) I'll keep them at my capital for safety. The edge trick might save travel time or it might cost you time but they are unlikely to be as safe.

4) Huh? Who did you buy the maps off?

5) Easiest way to do this is to go to the construction yards screen and select the constructor building the base. Click the construction yards tab down near the bottom and you will see a % complete for that base. (You could also select the unfinished base and see how many components have yet to be built.)

(in reply to lightheart)
Post #: 2
RE: Few Questions - 8/26/2012 6:52:04 AM   
lightheart

^Thankyou very much. Edit: I don't seem to be able to add to your rep...

So (2) would simply be a planet with a large amount of fuel resources. Simply establish a mining colony there with a right click...

In respect to (4), I bought the maps off another colony (called the ombara corporation), the very colony I wished to know the location of. I bought their territory and galaxy maps to find them, but I still cannot find them, even when zoomed-out fully to scan for their colony. On the diplomacy screen I can see the location of other friendly colonies, but I cannot see the colony of this particular group.

So why buy their map if it does not include their location?

< Message edited by lightheart -- 8/26/2012 6:54:03 AM >

sees unseen

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 3
RE: Few Questions - 8/26/2012 7:18:48 AM   
Pipewrench

For 2

edit
to help you with selecting any resource location.

for fuel specifically:
check the fuel you are using first.
select a ship of yours on the screen
click on the blue name of the ship
click view design button
read the top right for fuel used.

bottom of the screen (open galaxy map) shortcut G
drop down :known resource locations
select fuel resource
click on desired illuminated location
click go to selected location

or

Top middle left (expansion planner) shortcut F3
drop down :your resource location(already built)
or galaxy priority(what has been found)

use filter resource drop down if needed
select planet from list presented
click select resource location
click goto location

< Message edited by pipewrench -- 8/26/2012 7:53:18 AM >

(in reply to lightheart)
Post #: 4
RE: Few Questions - 8/26/2012 8:35:43 AM   
lightheart

^Oh yeah, I forgot about the expansion planner, cheers. Gets a bit hectic in game atm and so I forgot a few things from the tutorial ...my fleet keeps being retrofitted and my colonies get attcked when they have to go to the capital to get retrofitted.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that I still don't know why buying the maps didn't allow me to find the seller's colony. How would I find their colony location if not even purchasing the maps helped?(I bought the teritorial and galactic maps from them)

< Message edited by lightheart -- 8/26/2012 11:16:34 AM >

sees unseen

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 5
RE: Few Questions - 8/26/2012 12:54:54 PM   
Theluin

To 1)
The fleet leader is by default the first ship that was added to the fleet upon the fleets creation (For some strange reason this seems to be the last one selected if browsing through the ships and bases screen and also if selecting multiple ships from the galaxy map) You can change the fleet leader by selecting one of the ships in the fleet pressing ctrl+right mouse button and selecting make fleet leader. Your admiral always ends up on the fleet leader after being transferred to a fleet. You can however transfer him to a different ship by selecting that ship pressing ctrl+rmb and selecting transfer character and then clicking on your admiral's name. This can be a bit of an exploit as the transfer is instantaneous if both ships are in the same fleet. You can save your admiral from an exploding ship in that way for example.

Hope this helps,

(in reply to lightheart)
Post #: 6
RE: Few Questions - 8/26/2012 1:19:42 PM   
lightheart

^Yeah that does help as I was just playing and realised that my admiral was not my fleet leader (he was in a different ship than the ship with the star, but was leading the fleet ...lol). He will be now, thanks.

< Message edited by lightheart -- 8/26/2012 1:21:16 PM >

sees unseen

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 7
RE: Few Questions - 8/26/2012 6:49:59 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Theluin

You can however transfer him to a different ship by selecting that ship pressing ctrl+rmb and selecting transfer character and then clicking on your admiral's name. This can be a bit of an exploit as the transfer is instantaneous if both ships are in the same fleet. You can save your admiral from an exploding ship in that way for example.

A warning though.....
This is mostly true Theluin, but I've also noticed throughout testing and in my games that
if the ship an Admiral (or Troop General also in some instances) is on is in a battle and has some
damaged components, transfer to another same-fleet ship does not happen immediately. I've had a
few Admirals go down with the ship because they couldn't warp out fast enough. I assume that the
ships 'imagined' transporter (most probably in the Command Center component)has been damaged or destroyed.
I can imagine Elliot's logic thinking this way on this.
Just wanted you guys to make a note of this.

"Engineering.....I'M LOSING THEM! BOOST THE PATTERN ENHANCERS!"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/26/2012 6:59:07 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 8
RE: Few Questions - 8/27/2012 4:16:18 AM   
lightheart

lol, yeah it's probably better that way ...more realistic and creates better stories.

sees unseen

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 9
RE: Few Questions - 8/27/2012 9:19:01 AM   
Theluin

That's strange as I managed to 'beam' my admiral out of a ship that was already an expanding ball of plasma many times relying on the few seconds delay between the death of the ship and the updating the character status

(in reply to lightheart)
Post #: 10
RE: Few Questions - 8/27/2012 10:41:37 AM   
WoodMan

At original poster: Interesting questions and thread, some oddity here and some easy answers for you too:

1. How is the fleet leader decided/changed? What determines which ship is the leader (with the star)? Is your fleet admiral character always in the ship with the star?
You can change the lead ship of a fleet. Simply select a ship that is part of the fleet, right-click on it and choose "Make lead ship of fleet". The ship has to already be part of the fleet before you perform this action, otherwise the option will not be available. Your admiral will always appear upon the lead ship of a fleet when you assign him/her. However... there *may* be an issue where your admiral does not change ship when you change the lead ship. To get him/her onto the lead ship again simply re-assign him to the same fleet in the character window, the change should be instant.

2. So big blue stars mean refueling base, not necessarily a colony, so you can establish such a base without a colony ...what is such a base called (just a right click on a gas giant to establish?).
A blue circle with a white barrel inside it portrays a refueling location. This is a location at which your ships can refuel. It is any base which has enough fuel in its storage to refuel your ships. It can be a planet, a spaceport, a mining base and anything else too... I *think*. I have even had my ships refuel at defensive bases. You do not establish these yourself, they just happen where the fuel is available. The most common places for these to occur are colonies, gas mining stations (where the fuel is mined) and spaceports (where all your goods travel through). The only way to get more, is to make fuel more abundant in your empire, in otherwords, mine more. It can be smart to set up mining stations in all sectors of your empire to make fueling for ships on the go a less lengthy journey. Don't forget, you can also deploy a resupply ship at a gas giant or gas cloud which has the right type of fuel for your ships, a mobile refueling port of sorts.

3. I assume you can change the capital or something also, is it best to send ambassadors/leaders to certain colonies (leader in capital, ambassadors at edge of territory).
Yes you can change your capital. I have never done this and I can not recall how to do it off of the top of my head. I think the option is probably available in the colony screen somewhere. You can also set regional capitals once you have researched the relevent technology. The purpose of this is to lessen corruption, which occurs at greater levels the further you get away from your capital. Ambassadors are assigned to a capital of any race. So if you want to deal with for example, the Ugnari Syndicate, send your Ambassador to their homeworld (you will only have the option to send it to their homeworld, not any other of their worlds). To be able to do this, you must have discovered their homeworld either through trading maps or exploration. Your colony governers impact the colony that they are present at. So, look at their stats and see what they do and then put them on your colony that you think those stats would benefit the most. For example +growth? Put him on a growing colony not a maxed population colony.

4. I bought an enemy to be's territory map and galxy map to try and pin-point where they were, unfortunately their colony was still hidden to me, why is this ...I can see the position of other civilisations in the diplomacy screen (I was going to place an embargo after they ceased trade).
Okay, quick tip. When you buy a map, the changes don't appear immediately in the diplomacy screen, you need to close it and re-open it for the update to take place. I *think* this was actually fixed in a patch sometime recently but it is still not reliable. However, the changes should take place pretty much immediately on the main galaxy map (as soon as your processor can handle I guess). I'm thinking here you either made a mistake and bought the wrong empires map, or are just not looking hard enoug, or have encountered a bug (one I have never encountered)! hehe

5. Would cycling through construction ships or ship yards allow you to determine the position of mining bases? I had a low level of polymer, I did find a resource but was unable to determine when it would be complete until it was complete... it would be better if I could gauge the progress on critical mining infrastructure.
There are several ways to find your mining bases, although in the end you will end up with so many every way can be confusing!
1) On the left hand side of screen, the vertical list of buttons, one is all your mining bases. When you hover your cursor over one of your mining bases here it is pinged with a yellow circle on the map. So, zoom out so you can see your whole empire and hover the cursor over to see the location in your empire. You can also select the mining base and zoom to it from here.
2) Open the ships and bases screen (one of the buttons on the top menu) and select mining bases from the drop-down box. This will list your mining bases. Orange names mean incomplete, red names mean damaged.
3)In the expansion planner change the left drop down to "your mining locations" or "your resource locations" (not sure of the correct wording). This will list all of the locations from which resources come in your empire. So, if you wanted to find all polymer you could then use the resource drop down list to view only polymer. You can then select a location and zoom to it by pressing the "zoom to location" button.
Phew! Hope that helps!

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 8/27/2012 10:44:27 AM >

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 11
RE: Few Questions - 8/27/2012 12:43:16 PM   
lightheart

quote:

Phew! Hope that helps!

Thanks alot, I will remember this. Need a bit more practice before I can help anyone though. I'm all set for another round.

I am still a bit cautious about sending my ambassador to a rival colony, no matter how friendly. I guess I always go for the war path in such games... I always try to be kind and open-minded in real-life but these games tend to bring out my evil-ish side lol.

I think, if the world was a better place ...what would our games be like.

sees unseen

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Few Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI