Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/20/2012 8:38:41 PM   
Max 86

I just finished BV Larson's first Starforce novel, "Swarm". An ok read, a little light on character development but a fun quick story. Now I am starting on Jeff Shaara's "The Rising Tide". Has anyone read that? Any good? Shaara's usually are.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 331
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/20/2012 8:42:20 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I liked Shogun a lot but it was a very long time since I read it.

I liked Tai-Pan even more. But the best "asian" novel I've read is Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai-Pan_(novel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musashi_(novel)

Musashi is out of stock at Amazon and also they don't have the Kindle edition. Dang!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 332
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/20/2012 8:48:57 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86

I just finished BV Larson's first Starforce novel, "Swarm". An ok read, a little light on character development but a fun quick story. Now I am starting on Jeff Shaara's "The Rising Tide". Has anyone read that? Any good? Shaara's usually are.

I'm well into Swarm too. Like you say, kind of light in character development, and it over simplifies some things. I'm not sure if I will read the series when I'm done with Swarm.

Jeff Shaara is a really good author of historical fiction, and I've got several of his samples on my Kindle just waiting to try.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 333
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/20/2012 9:11:43 PM   
Jevhaddah

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

again :D

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 334
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/20/2012 9:48:09 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

again :D

Cheers

Jev

quote:

Ah, the funhouse mirror of Discworld. Time for me to reread all the Disc books.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 335
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/20/2012 11:27:42 PM   
mikkey

Michael Durant: In the Company of Heroes. Excellent book.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 336
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/20/2012 11:56:51 PM   
parusski

I am currently reading this.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 337
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/21/2012 6:18:31 PM   
Max 86

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

I'm well into Swarm too. Like you say, kind of light in character development, and it over simplifies some things. I'm not sure if I will read the series when I'm done with Swarm.

Jeff Shaara is a really good author of historical fiction, and I've got several of his samples on my Kindle just waiting to try.

I am doing all my reading on the Kindle too. I have grown attached to that thing. The next book in the series seems about the same.

!!!SPOILER ALERT---SPOILER ALERT!!!

The second book starts with a neat hook that may actually pull me in for one more go. I won't tell you how the first ended but obviously the macros go away becasue there is a second book. So if you don't want to know how the second one starts out, stop reading now!!

Once the threat to earth is over the nano ships programming takes over and all of them start heading out to space regardless of the orders of the command personnel. The ships tell the humans that they are no longer command personnel and won't follow any orders. The nanos do reveal that they are moving to the next possible target of the macros so that NEW indigenous command personnel can be recruited for the upcoming fight. I am sure you remember how command personnel are selected...not too promising for the humans left on board!

So they are heading out to space with only whatever water and food they have available and are basically prisoners on their ships. They have no idea where, how long a trip, or if they have enough food and water to get them there.

That about summarizes up the first chapter. I may have to read a bit further until I figure out what happens to them...darn it. First is Shaara's Rising Tide though.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 338
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/21/2012 8:26:57 PM   
Mad Cow

Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane for about the 5th time. :)

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 339
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/21/2012 8:39:41 PM   
LarryP

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

I am doing all my reading on the Kindle too. I have grown attached to that thing. The next book in the series seems about the same.

!!!SPOILER ALERT---SPOILER ALERT!!!

The second book starts with a neat hook that may actually pull me in for one more go. I won't tell you how the first ended but obviously the macros go away becasue there is a second book. So if you don't want to know how the second one starts out, stop reading now!!

Once the threat to earth is over the nano ships programming takes over and all of them start heading out to space regardless of the orders of the command personnel. The ships tell the humans that they are no longer command personnel and won't follow any orders. The nanos do reveal that they are moving to the next possible target of the macros so that NEW indigenous command personnel can be recruited for the upcoming fight. I am sure you remember how command personnel are selected...not too promising for the humans left on board!

So they are heading out to space with only whatever water and food they have available and are basically prisoners on their ships. They have no idea where, how long a trip, or if they have enough food and water to get them there.

That about summarizes up the first chapter. I may have to read a bit further until I figure out what happens to them...darn it. First is Shaara's Rising Tide though.

I wondered if the Nanos would do that. I didn't think the humans would keep control forever. OK. Keeps it interesting.

Since I bought the Kindle Fire in March, I've used it every night since. I love the sample book feature, dictionary while reading, search, instant book purchase, and much more. It's an addicting little thing. I also have the Nook Glowlight from Barnes and Noble. It's nice too, but it does not have the fancy additions like the Fire. It reads in the sun and has a ton of battery life that extends into weeks.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 8/21/2012 8:42:31 PM >

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 340
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/21/2012 8:56:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

I am currently reading this.
Warspite1

I read this a couple of years ago. It's not as good as the sequel that. What do people prefer? this or that?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 341
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/23/2012 8:36:32 AM   
rhondabrwn

Working my way through George Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, currently about to finish "A Feast for Crows" and will then finish off with "A Dance With Dragons".

Hoping things will pick up in the next volume as "A Feast for Crows" has dragged... a lot :( I raced through the other books in the series.

Oops... just read Amazon reviews of "Dragons"... guess it's not the end of the series after all... the story drags on with pretty poor reviews it seems.

This is turning out like "The Wheel of Time" that started out smashingly and then descended into boring drudgery... waiting on the last of those novels to be published and will then try and get back into the story to finish it out.

Crap... I found "Destroyermen" series to be more exciting... not to mention "The Lost Fleet" series. Waiting to finish off both of them too.

Since I got my Kindle Fire, I've bought way too many books LOL

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 342
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/23/2012 8:56:21 AM   
Hertston

Peter Hamilton's The Reality Disfunction. Don't read much fiction these days, but fancied some good ol' space opera.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 343
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/23/2012 12:53:07 PM   
Jevhaddah

I really felt the need for a good laugh, MY girls are home from Uni and it'..... well...... nevermind, they go back soon

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 344
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/23/2012 1:41:30 PM   
z1812

I am reading;

From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

War and Peace

Of the 3, I am enjoying War and Peace the most.

< Message edited by z1812 -- 8/23/2012 1:43:05 PM >

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 345
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/23/2012 2:16:47 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Same here. I must have close to a hundred samples too.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 346
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/23/2012 2:18:45 PM   
hbrsvl

Hi-I'm reading "Roosevelt-Commander-in-Chief" and "The Second World War" by Antony Beevor.

FDR is about him and his lieutenants-Marshall, King, Arnold, etc. I find this good for sketches of the men and what they did in WW II.

The Second..., I like to read new histories. Sometimes some interesting facts come to light.

Hugh Browne

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 347
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/23/2012 11:02:14 PM   
parusski

quote:

Working my way through George Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, currently about to finish "A Feast for Crows" and will then finish off with "A Dance With Dragons".

Hoping things will pick up in the next volume as "A Feast for Crows" has dragged... a lot :( I raced through the other books in the series.

Oops... just read Amazon reviews of "Dragons"... guess it's not the end of the series after all... the story drags on with pretty poor reviews it seems.

This is turning out like "The Wheel of Time" that started out smashingly and then descended into boring drudgery... waiting on the last of those novels to be published and will then try and get back into the story to finish it out.

Crap... I found "Destroyermen" series to be more exciting... not to mention "The Lost Fleet" series. Waiting to finish off both of them too.

It does drag on a bit, but things get better so don't give up. It is still a fantastic series, yes?

Wheel of Time and Goodkinds Sword of Truth series ended up just sucking with the last few books.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 348
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/27/2012 11:55:04 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: tohapply

Ken Follett - Fall of Giants

One great novel, not quiet as fantastic as Pillars of the Earth, but damned close. The sequel is Winter of the World about to be released. Can't wait.

Post #: 349
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/27/2012 12:51:10 PM   
warspite1

Wrong Thread

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/27/2012 12:55:35 PM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 350
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/27/2012 1:56:46 PM   
Toby42

Right now it's "The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War", by David Halberstam.

Tony

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 351
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/27/2012 5:15:38 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

Right now it's "The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War", by David Halberstam.

Treale,

I've been wanting a book on the American experience in the Korean War, as several of my family members were involved. Is "The Coldest Winter" just a focus on Chosin per se, or is it a general treatment of the entire war?

Thanks,

Chickenboy

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 352
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/27/2012 5:40:48 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

Treale,

I've been wanting a book on the American experience in the Korean War, as several of my family members were involved. Is "The Coldest Winter" just a focus on Chosin per se, or is it a general treatment of the entire war?

Thanks,

Chickenboy

It's a pretty in depth narrative of the political and military issues of the whole war. It gives a lot of biographical material on all of the players involved! Sometimes it gets bogged down into the minutae of the situation. A lot like playing a "Grigsby" game!!

Tony

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 353
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/27/2012 8:24:43 PM   
cpdeyoung

quote:

Peter Hamilton's The Reality Disfunction. Don't read much fiction these days, but fancied some good ol' space opera.

I have enjoyed all his works. The first book of this series was based on a chilling premiss and gave me worries. It is good to the end, but changes a great deal over the length of the series.

Chuck

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 354
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/28/2012 3:07:28 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Wrong Thread

That statement will take a LOT of explanation.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 355
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/28/2012 6:37:26 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Wrong Thread

warspite1

A LOT of explanation? Erm...... Well I posted something here that should have been in the film/documentary thread, so I deleted the post, put it where it should have been in the first place and wrote Wrong Thread in this one.

I could write more on this if you want me to but.......,,

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 356
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/28/2012 7:51:56 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

It does drag on a bit, but things get better so don't give up. It is still a fantastic series, yes?

Wheel of Time and Goodkinds Sword of Truth series ended up just sucking with the last few books.

Oh yes, I have a couple of unread Goodkind's series left unread... just ran out of interest. Still planning on doing the entire Wheel of Time again once all books are published (and available for Kindle). I'm going to be hopelessly lost if I don't go back and reread the whole damn thing LOL

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 357
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/28/2012 2:48:40 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wrong Thread

warspite1

A LOT of explanation? Erm...... Well I posted something here that should have been in the film/documentary thread, so I deleted the post, put it where it should have been in the first place and wrote Wrong Thread in this one.

I could write more on this if you want me to but.......,,

OH. I thought you meant I posted in the wrong place. But I would not might one of your brilliant essays on what Ambrose thought about posting on the wrong thread.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 358
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/28/2012 2:49:33 PM   
parusski

"hopelessly lost" indeed.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 359
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI