Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Let's start!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Let's start! Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Let's start! - 9/5/2012 11:24:46 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

we'll see... I'm not that convinced, however, that it will be wise to break my horns against Cocos... should have done it way before

Hi GreyJoy,

I'm a big proponent of BB bombardment. I haven't followed closely what you suspect to be at Cocos Island and whether it's mined or contains CD guns, but a week or two of cycling bombardments, say with 4 BB's, against the base would do wonders causing disruption against those troops defending it. If the forts are high it will reduce the effect, but you can certainly trash things otherwise. Depending on your dispositions and the threat of Allied CV's, I'd really look at just hammering Coco's for a week or two basing from Batavia. If your results are good from the first bombardment, I'd hit it hard for at least a week or two and invade with two back to back bombardments prior to troops landing.

well, i haven't anything that can really recon Cocos at the moment. Only Mavis...but they lack the right skill. However i do believe there are at least 2 units spotted there, for 9500 men.... probably a couple of Bdes...australian or Indian probably.
Yups, bombing runs... i'll do them for sure if i'll decide to get there. I'm keeping a strong naval presence in Malaya... 1 CV, 2 CVLs and 2 CVEs, along with 4 BBs, 3 CAs and 5 CLs.
The alternative idea could be to use Cocos against him... he could be lured to use it for an early advance towards Java or Sumatra...and that could be interesting.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 751
RE: Let's start! - 9/5/2012 11:33:50 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: veji1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

A 1:2 attack in which you lose 5 squads and the Chinese lose 94 is a decisive Japanese victory.

Exactly, you wanna keep attacking there (airbomb a bit as well beforehand) and they will fizzle and break...

He's bringing fresh units in the area. However i'm already shifting my forces. I have 2 more divisions in reserve and 8 tank units, ready to take the places of the battered units.
I think i'll be able to attack again within the next week.
Anyway, the real game changer will be my air offensive. If i manage to secure the air space, my bombers will do the rest i think.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 05, 42

The enemy launched a new air offensive in northern Burma. not less than 80 fighters (Hurricanes and P-39s) arrive sweeping over Shweebo. Luckly i had just withdrawn the Yamada group that was was bounded to be withdrawn. His B17s arrived again over akyab. Hopefully, in 30/40 days, we'll be able to counter back with the arrival of the KI-44.

Finally Akagi has repaired her sys damage at Rabaul and the KB is ready to move again.

Sucked everything i could from Palembang. Now only 50k fuel are left there... will now be able to focus part of my efforts on shipping oil to Singapore, then, in a couple of months, we'll assemble a great TF that will move everything back to Japan

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 752
RE: Let's start! - 9/6/2012 2:33:12 PM   
GreyJoy

April 6, 1942

One more day of consolidating. One more day suffering the infamous allied bombings in northern Burma. Even the chinese started to bomb our troops using their SB-2!!!!! What an offense!

Soon, very soon, payback will arrive. Always bring the hammer, right? well, we're bringing it...just give me a week of decent weather in China and Mao and Chang Kai Shek will see what the Empire can do.

Helens will enter into production tomorrow. So we're producing 100 medium bombers monthly for the next months. 40 sallies and 60 Helens.
The KI-48 Ib factory has been converted to the KI-48 IIa. 34 monthly. It has the same pitfull playload (4x100 kg), but it has armour. Slowly i'll create an air army of 100 new Lilies that will be used only to bomb Manila and Clark (don't wanna waste non-armour bombers against heavy flak defended bases).
For the moment, we're massing our bombing groups in China. Hawk operation will see in action 120 zeros, 100 Oscars and 230 Sallies/Helens. Should be enough to break the chinese will to fight in the air.

Can't wait for the Tojos.... can't really wait...

The Helen production will suck 120 Ha-34s. i'm planning to produce at least 120 Tojos monthly. So i'll need 240 Ha34s. i'm not there yet, producing only 214 (40) Ha-34s. I'm planning to bring the monthly production of this engine up to 320, so to be able to use the extra 80 engines to get the R&D bonus for 80 of my R&D Tojo IIb factories. It will take some more months...but my goal is to get the Tojo IIc by 09/1943. Should be doable

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 753
RE: Let's start! - 9/6/2012 2:47:56 PM   
JocMeister

Yes, Those bloody Tojos will give you complete dominance in the sky (except for P38) until mid 43... I hate them!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 754
RE: Let's start! - 9/6/2012 3:11:47 PM   
obvert

quote:

The KI-48 Ib factory has been converted to the KI-48 IIa. 34 monthly. It has the same pitfull playload (4x100 kg), but it has armour. Slowly i'll create an air army of 100 new Lilies that will be used only to bomb Manila and Clark (don't wanna waste non-armour bombers against heavy flak defended bases).

Isn't the Ki-48IIa the dive-bombing variant that gets only 2 x 100kg bombs? I may be getting my versions wrong but I remember not wanting to upgrade that factory.

EDIT - It's actually the Ki-48 IIb that is the dive-bomber. My bad.

I had stopped production at this point because of the poor bomb load compared to the Helen and Sally. Good idea to use them on the PI bases. I may be doing the same soon in my game, as that could take a good while to wear down.

< Message edited by obvert -- 9/6/2012 8:24:02 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 755
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 8:16:47 AM   
GreyJoy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 7-10, 42

Horrible weather prevented any air operation in China for the last 3 days. Despite that, we finally had a good news from this theatre.
The 1st Army finally managed to dislodge the enemy concentration on the road north of Sian.
This hex was probably one of the most difficult of the whole map, cause, despite being a mountain terrain (so +3 bonus) it allowed a huge stacking limit of 80,000 men! Probably the best defending solution for the chinese...
Well, we rotated 2 of the 4 divisions that got mauled during the last battles and moved back the exausted mix bdes, bringing in fresh divisions and some tanks. The bombers didn't fly for 3 days in a row but, despite that, we finally managed to achieve a 2-1 getting only a little number of destroyed squads. The enemy suffered nearly 18,000 casualities and the 2 chinese big corps, around which the defences of the hex were built, are no more in fighting conditions.
The enemy has been pushed north, which is good cause it ended up into an hex with very limited stacking limits (40,000), where there were already present more than 25,000 enemy troops...so it will be another huge overstacking and so another huge supply wasting

Everything is now ready for the operation "hawk"...i just need some decent weather...

Everywhere else very quiet...we're using this time to build up our defences and reposition our air flottillas (with the hard choices of where to place the very small aviation support we have got).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 82,39 (near Sian)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 59742 troops, 547 guns, 335 vehicles, Assault Value = 1481

Defending force 45641 troops, 242 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 566

Japanese adjusted assault: 952

Allied adjusted defense: 439

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1738 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 123 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Allied ground losses:
14732 casualties reported
Squads: 338 destroyed, 127 disabled
Non Combat: 400 destroyed, 37 disabled
Engineers: 12 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 42 (25 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Units retreated 11

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
23rd Tank Regiment
37th Division
35th Division
32nd Division
53rd Infantry Brigade
13th Tank Regiment
41st Division
8th Recon Regiment
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Army
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
42nd Chinese Corps
30th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
9th Chinese Corps
57th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
23rd Chinese Corps
36th Group Army
57th AT Gun Regiment
14th Group Army
Jingcha War Area
10th Chinese Base Force

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 9/7/2012 9:39:49 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 756
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 11:37:32 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Isn't the Ki-48IIa the dive-bombing variant that gets only 2 x 100kg bombs? I may be getting my versions wrong but I remember not wanting to upgrade that factory.

EDIT - It's actually the Ki-48 IIb that is the dive-bomber. My bad.

I had stopped production at this point because of the poor bomb load compared to the Helen and Sally. Good idea to use them on the PI bases. I may be doing the same soon in my game, as that could take a good while to wear down.

Yup, that one (the Ki-48 IIb) is a real crap!!! The armoured Lily can be usefull imho.

Ok guys, i canj confirm that the engine bonus for the Tojo is kicking in. Still i'm not getting 100% of how it works, but it does work!
Actually i have 2 factories fully repaired researching the Tojo. 1x60 and 1x30. These industries should provide 2 R&D points daily, while, with the recently reached bonus, i'm getting 4 R&D points daily! Very good! It costs me some engines, but it's well worth the effort, imho!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 757
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 11:56:46 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

Ok guys, i can confirm that the engine bonus for the Tojo is kicking in. Still i'm not getting 100% of how it works, but it does work!
Actually i have 2 factories fully repaired researching the Tojo. 1x60 and 1x30. These industries should provide 2 R&D points daily, while, with the recently reached bonus, i'm getting 4 R&D points daily! Very good! It costs me some engines, but it's well worth the effort, imho!

You get 3 'developmental points' daily from the factories and 1 for having over 500 engines in your pool. Don't let these two factories go into production and move them to the "B" model for one day before moving them to the "C" model for R&D.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 758
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 1:41:37 PM   
kjnoel

I seem to remember you earlier saying you were going to limit R&D advance to 4 months?

If so, you might be putting too much into this. The IIc is due 44/3 so, if you want to limit your advance to 43/11, you only need 400 R&D points; at the current rate of 4 per day that will only take you.....well, 100 days.

You might not be limiting yourself anymore, but if you are you might want to consider whether it's worth maintaining 500 engines in the pool?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 759
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 1:48:31 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

Ok guys, i can confirm that the engine bonus for the Tojo is kicking in. Still i'm not getting 100% of how it works, but it does work!

You get 3 'developmental points' daily from the factories and 1 for having over 500 engines in your pool. Don't let these two factories go into production and move them to the "B" model for one day before moving them to the "C" model for R&D.

Hi Micheal, are u sure a 1x60 R&D factory produces 2 R&D points per day and not one?
It seems so to me...looking at the results i mean

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 760
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 1:53:08 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kjnoel

I seem to remember you earlier saying you were going to limit R&D advance to 4 months?

If so, you might be putting too much into this. The IIc is due 44/3 so, if you want to limit your advance to 43/11, you only need 400 R&D points; at the current rate of 4 per day that will only take you.....well, 100 days.

You might not be limiting yourself anymore, but if you are you might want to consider whether it's worth maintaining 500 engines in the pool?

Hi mate,

6 months is my personal HR. I understand the Tojo IIc will come earlier with these settings, but i'll stop and invest in other things as soon as everything is up and running (meaning as soon as the Tojo IIa is building regularly at 120 x month).
The idea is to have 120 R&D Tojo IIc factory working and 120 Tojo IIa producing factories.
The 6 months goal will be, on the other hand, very very difficult for the George and Frank, because you also have to accelerate the Ha-45 engine and you cannot have the benefit of being able to research a previous model in the pipeline...

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 761
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 2:01:35 PM   
kjnoel

I'm still finding my way with keeping the brakes on the chained airframes and getting a nice advance on the later ones, it seems to be an art!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 762
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 3:02:24 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Hi Micheal, are u sure a 1x60 R&D factory produces 2 R&D points per day and not one?
It seems so to me...looking at the results i mean

Off course I'm sure.

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 763
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 3:29:46 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Hi mate,

6 months is my personal HR. I understand the Tojo IIc will come earlier with these settings, but i'll stop and invest in other things as soon as everything is up and running (meaning as soon as the Tojo IIa is building regularly at 120 x month).
The idea is to have 120 R&D Tojo IIc factory working and 120 Tojo IIa producing factories.
The 6 months goal will be, on the other hand, very very difficult for the George and Frank, because you also have to accelerate the Ha-45 engine and you cannot have the benefit of being able to research a previous model in the pipeline...

I would research the Tojo IIb model just so you get it before going to the IIc if you have a 6 month limit. You will most likely not use the IIb, but I'm actually trying it out in my game as I haven't used it and want to see what it does. The one good thing about it is that the 12.7mm guns move to the centerline, so they are more accurate. The bad thing is that the 40mm canons will most likely not hit anything at all. I'm only making a small amount of them.

I'm in 4/43 and I've already moved the Tojo IIc up 2 months. I could have it up to 8-9 months ahead of its date if I use the engine bonus, and that is after researching through the IIb model. I believe in only researching the next plane in line with factories that can upgrade without damage (one plane family). That's my rule, but we each figure out what works for our own sense of what is right. I think of it like the IJAAF telling the researchers and manufacturers that the plane doesn't meet their specs, so they're not going to use it until it's improved, and then the next model in line is researched with the improvements. Since this is my first time this deep in a game I'm also just curious how the different models will function in various roles. You know most of this from the other side in your last game.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 764
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 5:59:02 PM   
kmitahj

quote:

In Classic WitP times researching factories of size 29-270 once repaired were always delivering exactly 1 r/d point a day. It worked the same in early versions of Witp-AE. Then a bug in one of beta patches elicited a lot of confusion. In fact some players took it as a new feature and enjoyed immensely new insane aircraft research speeds
However in the following discussion MichaelM - active developer - confirmed the bug existence and disclosed basic algorithm for aircraft research - basically identical to the one used in Classic WitP. And then some time later n01487477 brought the discovery of of engine bonus feature.
So of course it is possible that there were more silent changes (besides engine bonus) lately to the code and now basic assumption of research factory cap at size 30 no longer holds. But it is also possible that factory bonus is simply awarded per factory. Using Tracker-provided history it shouldn't be difficult to find out which possibility is true (or to conclude that none is true 'cause things are working in more complicated way).

GreyJoy - thanks for the entertaining AAR. Your (and Q-Ball counterpart) are the only AE AARs I'm currently watching day by day. Good read!
As for the engine research I suspect you won't have much problems. Researching engines in AE used to be quick and easy process (in Classic WitP it wasn't possible to research them at all) so unless it was retrofitted to match the difficulties of airframe research you should be able to achieve your goals with no much sweet.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 765
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 6:33:19 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kmitahj

quote:

In Classic WitP times researching factories of size 29-270 once repaired were always delivering exactly 1 r/d point a day. It worked the same in early versions of Witp-AE. Then a bug in one of beta patches elicited a lot of confusion. In fact some players took it as a new feature and enjoyed immensely new insane aircraft research speeds
However in the following discussion MichaelM - active developer - confirmed the bug existence and disclosed basic algorithm for aircraft research - basically identical to the one used in Classic WitP. And then some time later n01487477 brought the discovery of of engine bonus feature.
So of course it is possible that there were more silent changes (besides engine bonus) lately to the code and now basic assumption of research factory cap at size 30 no longer holds. But it is also possible that factory bonus is simply awarded per factory. Using Tracker-provided history it shouldn't be difficult to find out which possibility is true (or to conclude that none is true 'cause things are working in more complicated way).

GreyJoy - thanks for the entertaining AAR. Your (and Q-Ball counterpart) are the only AE AARs I'm currently watching day by day. Good read!
As for the engine research I suspect you won't have much problems. Researching engines in AE used to be quick and easy process (in Classic WitP it wasn't possible to research them at all) so unless it was retrofitted to match the difficulties of airframe research you should be able to achieve your goals with no much sweet.

Thank you kmitahj! I'm happy you're enjoyin it!

Sincerly, i'm not an experten and the whole thing seems to be beyond my capabilities... however i do see the results and try to extract a personal "rule of thumb"...

But first, i can say that the operation "Hawk" has finally begun.
Good weather over Chungking and from Hankow (the other AF at Tsuyun keeps on non operating for unknown reasons) 70 crack zeros took off for a sweep mission.
After several battles, we came back with a great result. We encountered nearly 80 enemies (P-40s, P-39s and chinese garbage) and achieved a good 42-12 in A2A in our favor...
Tomorrow two new fresh Sentais will take off (hopefully), followed in the afternoon by 170 bombers escorted by 30 Oscars. If the weather holds, we hope to clear the skies of china in 1 or 2 weeks.
Lost 7 great pilots today...too bad, i know...but you need to break some eggs for a good meal

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 11, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Chungking , at 76,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 28 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40

Allied aircraft
I-16-III x 4
I-15-III x 10
H81-A3 x 12
Hawk 75M x 3
P-39D Airacobra x 24
P-40E Warhawk x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
I-15-III: 2 destroyed
H81-A3: 1 destroyed
Hawk 75M: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 5 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
5th FG/17th FS CAF with H81-A3 (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 8 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters to 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes
5th FG/27th FS CAF with I-15-III (0 airborne, 2 on standby, 7 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes
11th FG/41st FS CAF with I-16-III (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 3 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
11th FG/44th FS CAF with Hawk 75M (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 6 minutes
AVG/2nd Sqn with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 18 scrambling)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 41 minutes
35th PG/40th PS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 17 scrambling)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 43 minutes

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32

Allied aircraft
I-16-III x 1
I-15-III x 3
H81-A3 x 10
Hawk 75M x 1
P-39D Airacobra x 16
P-40E Warhawk x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
I-15-III: 1 destroyed
Hawk 75M: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
5th FG/17th FS CAF with H81-A3 (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
9 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
AVG/2nd Sqn with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 8 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 85 minutes
35th PG/40th PS with P-39D Airacobra (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 23140.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
5th FG/27th FS CAF with I-15-III (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 14000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes
11th FG/41st FS CAF with I-16-III (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 22140.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
11th FG/44th FS CAF with Hawk 75M (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Raid is overhead

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7

Allied aircraft
I-15-III x 1
H81-A3 x 2
P-39D Airacobra x 5
P-40E Warhawk x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
5th FG/17th FS CAF with H81-A3 (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters to 2000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes
5th FG/27th FS CAF with I-15-III (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 8000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 11 minutes
AVG/2nd Sqn with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 2000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 52 minutes
35th PG/40th PS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 2000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 55 minutes

Ground combat at 82,39 (near Sian)

Attacking force 53568 troops, 510 guns, 335 vehicles, Assault Value = 1376

Defending force 8106 troops, 16 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 159

Japanese adjusted assault: 992

Allied adjusted defense: 61

Japanese assault odds: 16 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
339 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 33 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2511 casualties reported
Squads: 116 destroyed, 51 disabled
Non Combat: 107 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
23rd Tank Regiment
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
37th Division
41st Division
53rd Infantry Brigade
35th Division
13th Tank Regiment
32nd Division
8th Recon Regiment
1st Army
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
9th Chinese Corps

This was the last chinese corp in the contested hex north of Sian...

Ground combat at 76,130 (near Daly Waters)

Attacking force 22449 troops, 239 guns, 44 vehicles, Assault Value = 603

Defending force 5449 troops, 77 guns, 13 vehicles, Assault Value = 58

Japanese adjusted assault: 410

Allied adjusted defense: 20

Japanese assault odds: 20 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
174 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2260 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 55 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 15 (8 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 6 (5 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 10

Assaulting units:
21st Division
33rd Division
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
16th Army
1st RF Gun Battalion
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
3rd Australian Brigade
19th Australian Battalion
1st RAAF Supt Wing
108th Anti Tank Regiment
Katherine RAAF Base Force
Darwin RAAF Base Force
6th Aus Cav Brigade
Northern Territory
NW Australia Base Force
11th RAAF Supt Wing

We keep on pushing back the Australian towards Daily Waters....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kmitahj)
Post #: 766
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 6:46:51 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi mate,

I would research the Tojo IIb model just so you get it before going to the IIc if you have a 6 month limit. You will most likely not use the IIb, but I'm actually trying it out in my game as I haven't used it and want to see what it does. The one good thing about it is that the 12.7mm guns move to the centerline, so they are more accurate. The bad thing is that the 40mm canons will most likely not hit anything at all. I'm only making a small amount of them.

I'm in 4/43 and I've already moved the Tojo IIc up 2 months. I could have it up to 8-9 months ahead of its date if I use the engine bonus, and that is after researching through the IIb model. I believe in only researching the next plane in line with factories that can upgrade without damage (one plane family). That's my rule, but we each figure out what works for our own sense of what is right. I think of it like the IJAAF telling the researchers and manufacturers that the plane doesn't meet their specs, so they're not going to use it until it's improved, and then the next model in line is researched with the improvements. Since this is my first time this deep in a game I'm also just curious how the different models will function in various roles. You know most of this from the other side in your last game.

Hi Obvert,

from the tests i've seen, made by ZoluSea, the "b" variant is really not worth the efforts. The "a" variant performs slightly better, so there's really no point in producing it. Simply skip it and go for the "c" model.
My only doubt is about the "Jack"...seems a good plane reading the stats...good climb rate, decent firepower....not worse than the george...not much at least...and it uses the Ha-32 which is a very common engine and could be easily stockpiled....mmmm...what do u think?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 767
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 7:21:02 PM   
obvert

As I said, my goal is not necessarily to maximize and make the best plane all of the time. I want to see what they can do for my style of play. The Sulu Sea tests were really very good. They were done against 4Es though. The situation could be very different against fighters or 2Es, or with sweeps added in. according to those tests, the Tojo IIb wasn't wonderful, but it was only slightly less useful than the IIa. It is building now and my curiosity must be satisfied. The factories are there, and it costs nothing to upgrade them.

As for the Jack, I am researching it (2 x 30) and plan to use the later versions. I'll skip the first unless I really need firepower in mid 43 and the George is not yet online. I'm aiming for the later Jacks to use in a similar role to the Tony; point defense. Yes, the engines make it attractive and also easier to research. From what I've seen in my games, diversity of models can be used to the advantage if each performs the role it's best suited for. The J2M3 looks especially strong, as it has 4 x 20mm plus only a 2 service rating, and still climbs better than the George. From what everyone says the George is better, but I'd like to use both. It's just more fun.

< Message edited by obvert -- 9/7/2012 10:16:33 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 768
RE: Let's start! - 9/7/2012 11:48:04 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

From what everyone says the George is better, but I'd like to use both. It's just more fun.

Better in the sense that the N1K1-J scheduled arrival is 9/43 and the J2M3 4/44. 7 months is lot of time in game. Until George arrives you have nothing to fight the 4E's. Rather than the J2M3, the A7M2 is the next critical fighter for the IJN. Yes, when it arrives Jack is better than George, but you dilute your research and production efforts. Until you get the SAM your KB is severely compromised against the allies. With it, things are more even. But with scheduled arrival of 9/45 .... A6M3a -> N1K1-J -> A7M2 is your critical path for IJN fighters.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 769
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 5:42:30 AM   
Cribtop

GJ, the win in China is big. You destroyed over 750 Chinese squads in that battle. Two months worth! Well done.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 770
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 5:52:17 AM   
Cribtop

@Michael: How 'bout them Cowboys?!

Ok, before you point it out, we have a lot of issues in the O line, and if I still played fantasy football I'd sell Ogeltree high right now as he was going against 90th string corners. I know, I know. Still, I had to celebrate a rare quality win in the Jerry Jones era.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 771
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 8:52:05 AM   
FatR

quote:

from the tests i've seen, made by ZoluSea, the "b" variant is really not worth the efforts. The "a" variant performs slightly better, so there's really no point in producing it. Simply skip it and go for the "c" model.
My only doubt is about the "Jack"...seems a good plane reading the stats...good climb rate, decent firepower....not worse than the george...not much at least...and it uses the Ha-32 which is a very common engine and could be easily stockpiled....mmmm...what do u think

Jack is not terrible, but its only advantage over George is earlier arrival dates. I'm playing one of my games with the same 6-month limitation on accelerating planes and I'm only finding it useful as a stopgap measure until the next N1K-J model arrives. J2M3 is probably the most useful Jack model in this setup because it can be used 7 months earlier than N1K2-J. Even then, unless you have altitude-related HRs, N1K1-J still might be the superior option.

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 772
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 9:02:19 AM   
FatR

quote:

Fighters R&D program

Pretty anemic. I advise you to use factories for worthless Shuseis to expand Ki-84 research, and expand research factories in general. In general, take note that Japan needs to greatly expand its fighter production by late 1943-44 (I'm currently producing 435 Army fighters and 490 Navy figters per month on 2/44 in my longest-running game, not counting factories that are temporarily off due to waiting for better models, and still have dangerously low pools for the most useful models), so expanding factories is an investment you'll need to make anyway, but doing now it can bring you additional benefits of acceleration.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 773
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 9:08:16 AM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Better in the sense that the N1K1-J scheduled arrival is 9/43 and the J2M3 4/44. 7 months is lot of time in game. Until George arrives you have nothing to fight the 4E's. Rather than the J2M3, the A7M2 is the next critical fighter for the IJN. Yes, when it arrives Jack is better than George, but you dilute your research and production efforts. Until you get the SAM your KB is severely compromised against the allies. With it, things are more even. But with scheduled arrival of 9/45 .... A6M3a -> N1K1-J -> A7M2 is your critical path for IJN fighters.

In a no-HR stock game I would now put about 10x30 factories to the task of researching A7M2 right on December 8th. But this game has a houserule that limits acceleration by 6 months... By 3/45 it probably doesn't really matter what fighter you have on decks. It is better to invest in Zero research - A6M5b is not ideal, but has passable armament for CAPping one's carrier fleet.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 774
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 3:30:41 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

quote:

In a no-HR stock game I would now put about 10x30 factories to the task of researching A7M2 right on December 8th. But this game has a houserule that limits acceleration by 6 months... By 3/45 it probably doesn't really matter what fighter you have on decks. It is better to invest in Zero research - A6M5b is not ideal, but has passable armament for CAPping one's carrier fleet.

Ahh, I don't follow this AAR and didn't know about the HR. I only joined in the discussion regarding George/Jack. Without the A7M2 in '44 .... I'd have to think a lot about that. Very difficult.

A6M series is just too slow after about 6/43 (350 knt). I haven't seen anyone have any battle success with them after mid 43 ... maybe PzB? I'll have to go back and check. I know I can't unless I have 2:1 odds against Corsairs and those odds after 6/43 are very difficult to obtain.

Pax

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 775
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 4:11:53 PM   
Lcp Purcell

My 2 cents: I would stress the A6M5c, under the logic it's the almost top of the upgrade path, and the first Zero to get a point of armor (which I find greatly enhances survivability) You will have a ton of factories which upgrade to that, so it helps the production you already have.

But I am still playing my first game so as to see the later models in action I will be getting the A6M5c in about a month.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 776
RE: Let's start! - 9/8/2012 4:20:55 PM   
Lcp Purcell

Oh and a very nice start to the air war over Chungking, not only are you chewing up the flying Tigers, but more important his supply. I bet they high tail it to India soon. But the longer they fly over China the better. More starvation for the Chinese army.

(in reply to Lcp Purcell)
Post #: 777
RE: Let's start! - 9/9/2012 11:25:58 AM   
GreyJoy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 12-16, 42

Sorry for the delay guys.... busy days.

So, in these four days we managed to inflict more losses to the american fighter squadrons defending the skies of China. I've counted more 20 enemies downed for only 3 of my own. Not bad. The bombings over Chungking continue at a good rate, even if the lack of aviation support (i underline that in DBB mod Japan is very very short of aviation support, with the typical base force having only 24 AVs!) is giving me a lot of problems.

On the chinese grounds, tough, things aren't so brilliant. North of Sian we recieved 2 bloody noses (1-2) in two different hexes. His defences are strenghtening and now it's a bloody and long march...we fight for every single inch of ground. I'm still confident anyway, cause the lack of air-ground support has been decisive in the latter battles (bad weather prevented my bombers to fly for several days in a row). Our units are still in decent shape and i hope to resume the attacks as soon as the weather improves.

In Burma he sweeps and bombs almost everywhere from Akyab to Mandalay. We tried to ambush his unescorted 4Es... 9 B-17Es popped up over Akyab on the 15th...we sent 20 Nicks, 20 zeros and some 15 oscars to intercept... results? 2 B17s lost (1 A2A and 1 Ops) and 6 of my guys downed......i clearly need more air units in this theatre.
We're stuck in Burma however... he has massed 7 units in the jungle west of Katha and we are struggling the break the enemy's front but we don't controll the skies and the enemy is strong and well dug in...
The supply situation is improving a bit in Burma after the arrival of a TF with 20k supplies...but akyab is dry and he's sending his troops there from Cox's Bazar... i need the Tojos! God knows how badly i need them now!

In Sumatra we're marching towards Padang, the last enemy redoubt in the island.
Cocos island is being reinforced again....

At Java we cleared the south and now we can focus our attention on Batavia...finally.

In southern DEI, Koepang is being reinforced with 3 base forces, 3 AA units and 1 Air HQ (21st Flottilla)... my lazyiness is now paying its bloody dividends... I haven0't conquered Makassar and Balikapan yet so he was able to base 20 Vindicators at Balikapan, move them to Makassar and ambush my transports near Kendari... 4 xAKs full of troops sunk

In northern Oz we pushed the enemy back and conquered Daily Waters. We'll stop here now. We'll wait for some Naval guards units to arrive and then we'll move the two divisions and the 16th Army HQ out of this theatre to recover and to be ready for future operations. In the meanwhile, the ground gained in Oz, will be used to gain time for building up my defensive positions in Southern DEI (ambon-Koepang arc).

In the Solomons, Ndeni reached AF lvl 1 and he immediately sent a re-supply TF there... we swept the empty skies of Ndeni with our zeros and then we sent the Betties... with no oppositions the crack Betties were able to sink 4 enemy xAKLs before they could deliver their cargos.
We're building up strong defences in the whole SOPAC area. Wanna be sure that he won't have any easy approach here.

Lots of DDs and a couple of CAs are upgrading while we speak.

At Luzon, he's using subs to resupply Manila from Cebu. I was very stupid not to have conquered Cebu during the amphib bonus...it's gonna be a PITA now...i know

For what concerns the R&D program, i have made several changes so far.

Here's a picture of my R&D program lately... i'm still undecided weather i want to keep a little Jack and Shindens factory or not...

Ground combat at 82,38 (near Tienshui)

Attacking force 38175 troops, 289 guns, 123 vehicles, Assault Value = 1101

Defending force 30022 troops, 139 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 490

Japanese adjusted assault: 692

Allied adjusted defense: 958

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1485 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 131 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 25 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 21 (1 destroyed, 20 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1311 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 79 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 34 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
13th Tank Regiment
61st Infantry Brigade
35th Division
110th Division
53rd Infantry Brigade
1st Army
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment

Defending units:
76th Chinese Corps
42nd Chinese Corps
38th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
92nd Chinese Corps
14th Group Army
36th Group Army
6th Group Army
4th Group Army
10th Chinese Base Force

Ground combat at Daly Waters (76,131)

Attacking force 22422 troops, 239 guns, 44 vehicles, Assault Value = 600

Defending force 4270 troops, 65 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Japanese adjusted assault: 548

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 28 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Daly Waters !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
63 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2080 casualties reported
Squads: 37 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 83 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 29 (28 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 10 (10 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 10
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
21st Division
33rd Division
1st RF Gun Battalion
16th Army
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
17th MG Battalion
19th Australian Battalion
NW Australia Base Force
6th Aus Cav Brigade
1st RAAF Supt Wing
Northern Territory
3rd Australian Brigade
Darwin RAAF Base Force
108th Anti Tank Regiment
Katherine RAAF Base Force
11th RAAF Supt Wing

Think these units won't pose any real threat for a loooooong time

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lcp Purcell)
Post #: 778
RE: Let's start! - 9/9/2012 11:30:30 AM   
GreyJoy

and these are the production figures...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 779
RE: Let's start! - 9/9/2012 11:35:40 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

quote:

Ahh, I don't follow this AAR and didn't know about the HR. I only joined in the discussion regarding George/Jack. Without the A7M2 in '44 .... I'd have to think a lot about that. Very difficult.

A6M series is just too slow after about 6/43 (350 knt). I haven't seen anyone have any battle success with them after mid 43 ... maybe PzB? I'll have to go back and check. I know I can't unless I have 2:1 odds against Corsairs and those odds after 6/43 are very difficult to obtain.

It's not exactly an HR...it's a self imposed HR. Don't really like to see 1945/46 planes in late 43...so i'm keeping this personal HR to save this game from going lunacy again

However i do think that, past 1943, the KB must have the role of fleet in being. Any direct confrontation with the allied DS will end up very bad if you cannot rely on LBA... and, anyway, if a confrontation must be, i think it will be a one-shot match for the KB. There's really no point in CAPping your CVs when 600+ enemy bombers are gonna fall upon you. Better to leave all your zeros on escort role purely (so ablative armour) and hope to smash the enemy hard enough. And when you are an ablative armour, it doesn't really matter if you fly 40 mhp faster....

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Let's start! Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI