Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/3/2012 10:17:51 AM   
randallw

You seemed to have some delay in capturing Ventspils and Leipaja; these can be used by the Soviet side to evacuate units surrounded SW of Riga. If you get these towns/ports that helps to secure that little area better.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 31
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/3/2012 11:44:49 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

just for you to remember that you should fly fuel to panzer formations before you move them terje. this way you get as much fuel as possible to the units. if you ask me one should use his level bombers only to fly fuel from turn 2 on with 0% AF attack, city attack, and ground attack and massivly reduced interdiction and ground support settings to get more bombers flying fuel around.

and keep your HQ and air bases directly on the repaired railroad to reduce usage of supply trucks.

one last point: i prefer to set ART, AT, rocket, AA, security units at 60% TOE right in turn 1 to save armament. i also set only moot. and armor formations at "refit" and everything else at "ready".

good luck.

Pretty much what I have been doing, although this turn I had to move some HQs off the rails unfortunately.
Oh, and I set the art,AT, rocket to 50% TOE and the AA to 75%. Sec I did not do anything about, will they still be able to turn a city "green" in terms of Partisans at 60%?

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 32
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/3/2012 11:45:52 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

I am a pure SHC guy so I don't know the various leader ratings for the Germans (I would imagine the guys you mention have extremely high ratings across the board), but I think you want high initiative/admin guys at the Army/Sov Front level whereas combat ratings are more important at the Korps/Sov Army level...

Yup, but there seems I am always overlooking something
Anyway, some changes have been made this turn as well, and it is eating my points really fast....

Terje

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 33
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/3/2012 11:47:29 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

You seemed to have some delay in capturing Ventspils and Leipaja; these can be used by the Soviet side to evacuate units surrounded SW of Riga. If you get these towns/ports that helps to secure that little area better.

Yeah, they were allowed to remain, but it was not that vital in the end as I noticed that the USSR did not have more than a few units in the area, so deemed it a tertiary goal, and when I could not even meet all the primary ones...

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 34
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/3/2012 11:55:44 AM   
terje439

Turn 4

Overall
Not a "big turn" in any way, it is more of a continue mopping up + relocating turn. I had hoped to be at this point last turn, but the mud prevented that...
Also some slight worry about my armaments (guess last game got me overly scared), as the pool took a big hit this turn...
52 attacks were made, with 2 helds (Rumanians, what else), 24 retreats, 25 surrenders and 1 rout as the results.

USSR units in pockets at start of turn
40 units including some AF/HQs

USSR units in pockets at end of turn
Only 7, hope to bag some more next turn, but might be another turn before we achieve anything major again.

Losses
USSR : 190.000 troops, 1.851 guns, 2.751 AFVs, ??? AC.
Axis : 17.000 troops, 65 guns, 91 AFVs, ??? AC.
AC was listed at 0 USSR and 8 Axis, seems wrong...

USSR units destroyed
10 tank divisions (makes me wonder if I should just keep these guys surrounded to prevent them from respawning...), 5 motorized divisions, 5 rifle divisions, 1 mountain division, 3 AT artillery brigades, 1 PVO AA regiment, 1 NKVD border regiments, 4 Fortified zones.

German pools
Manpower : 58
Vehicles : 204.501
Armaments : 83.146
Hiwi : 38.477

Leadership changes
von Kluge takes command over AGN and Kesselring takes over AGC, von Rundstedt still in charge of AGS.

Happy news
the Fins have mobilized!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 35
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/4/2012 8:28:17 AM   
randallw

A tank division that dies is gone forever; it's only when a division routs or survives to a certain time period that it may convert to a brigade.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 36
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/4/2012 2:15:17 PM   
terje439

quote:

A tank division that dies is gone forever; it's only when a division routs or survives to a certain time period that it may convert to a brigade.

Another little tidbit of information I "remembered" wrong from playing the USSR then, good to know.

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 37
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/4/2012 4:03:09 PM   
terje439

Turn 5

Overall
I keep telling myself that I am doing fine, but actually I am losing valuable time bringing my Infantry up on the line. I am using way too long to get them ready for action again, and this means alot more action is forces upon my armoured spearheads, not a good thing (no need to worry, things aren't DISASTROUS just yet ). I realize with a 20/20 hindsight that the improper sealment of the pockets on turn 1 is what is now biting me in the ass. Well, atleast the pockets are cleared now, and the Infantry has more or less caught up with the armoured units, and the various armies have gotten to their proper place, so hopefully we shall see some more action next turn...I hope.
What is really bothering me, is that due to the delay on turn 2 and mud on turn 3, I am starting to fall behind with rail repair, and that can get serious I fear.
Anyway, enough worrying. The Fins moved out to retake lost territory, and the Germans marched as they always do, while the Rumanians...Well...Errr...Well they kinda moved.
40 attacks were made, scoring 3 helds (1 Finnish, 1 Rumanian and 1 German), 20 retreats, 3 routs, 1 shatter and 13 surrenders.

USSR units pocketed at the start of the turn
8, all combat units

USSR units pocketed at the end of the turn
9, 3 have the possibility to break out, and probably will (no big loss, NKVD units all 3).

Losses
USSR : 76.000 troops, 1.147 guns, 847 AFVs, 115 AC.
Axis : 20.000 troops, 118 guns, 110 AFVs, 65 AC.

USSR units destroyed
2 tank divisions, 1 motorized division, 2 rifle divisions, 2 mountain divisions, 1 NKVD border regiment, 3 PVO AA battaltions, 7 fortified zones.

German pools
Manpower : 33
Vehicles : 194.045 - as mentioned, had to park some HQs off the railroads last turn.
Armamants : 88.185 - up 5.000, Good!
Hiwi : 52.098

Leadership changes
Carl von Stulpnagel replaced as leader of the 17th Army by Friedrich Mieth (up all across the board in points).

Worries
AGN and its advance on Leningrad, not sure that advancd is strong enough with only 2 armies...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 38
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/4/2012 5:53:24 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

Another little tidbit of information I "remembered" wrong from playing the USSR then, good to know.

Terje

Hmmm,

Soviet units that shatter or surrender are permanently destroyed, with the exception of some types of Soviet combat units destroyed before November 1941 (18.1.1.1). Isolated combat units that shatter suffer the effects of surrendering instead of the effects of shattering.

Soviet Rifle, Motorized and Tank divisions that are destroyed prior to November 1941 will be added to the reinforcement schedule to re-enter as empty or nearly empty units after a certain number of turns with placement on the eastern part of the map per section 18.1.1 regarding previously destroyed units.
Soviet Rifle and Motorized divisions will return as Rifle divisions from 4 to 27 turns after being destroyed. Soviet Tank divisions will return as Soviet Tank brigades eleven turns after being destroyed. In addition, routed Soviet Tank Divisions that rally prior to September 1941 have a twenty percent chance of being automatically disbanded and returned as reinforcement Tank brigades eleven turns later.

Thats not how i read that about Tank divs, but i could be wrong.

Rasmus

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 39
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/4/2012 6:22:52 PM   
terje439

That was what I thought happened as well...

Terje

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 40
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/5/2012 8:03:33 AM   
terje439

Turn 6 aka for the love of God, sacrifice some sheep, a bull or a virgin right now!!

Overall
The turn arrived, Oloren voiced concern about the southern flank. I openend the turn. More or less the entire AGS was stuck in MUD... So once more, our progress is way too slow...And was even unable to kill off those units trapped last turn.
30 attacks were made, the results were 3 helds, 21 retreats, 4 routs and 2 surrenders.

Losses
USSR : 31.000 troops, 592 guns, 201 AFVs, 164 AC.
Axis : 22.000 troops, 74 guns, 112 AFVs, 66 AC.

USSR units destroyed
1 rifle division and 1 NKVD border regiment

German pools
Manpower : 96
Vehicles : 180.515
Armaments : 97.943
Hiwi : 57.831

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 41
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/5/2012 8:49:24 AM   
randallw

Whoops, guess I got confused with how disbanding a tank division means it does not return, either as a brigade or division.

So, don't let my mistakes confuse you, except when my mistakes are correct.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 42
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/5/2012 9:03:44 AM   
randallw

Walloc/Rasmus is correct when stating the manual; in my current game I lost one tank division to destruction and one disbanded ( by rout/rally ) on turn 1, with one brigade arriving as a reinforcement on turn 11 ( apparently not enough in the pool to create a 2nd one ), then 10 destroyed/disbanded on turn 2 with 11 brigades arriving on turn 12.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 43
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/5/2012 9:50:58 AM   
terje439

Hehe, well atleast we have it sorted now

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 44
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/7/2012 11:04:19 AM   
terje439

Turn 7

Overall
The sacrifical lamb did what it should, and the weather is once more clear. Not really sure how "well" we are doing at this time. Still alot of USSR units on the map (although quite a few of them should be brigades), but it does not seem the USSR has any proper line apart from the Dnepr line, and that too is not too strongly held yet. We will attempt to force a crossing next turn...
This turn we take out some encircled USSR troops, and seal a few more pockets, so in that regard things are far better than last time around.
53 attacks result in 5 helds, 25 retreats, 12 routs and 11 surrenders this turn, and in the North we are preparing to force the Narva. Granted, I would have prefered to be atleast one river further, but alas such is the situation. West of Lake Ladoga the Fins are at the No-attack Line eagerly awaiting the Germans to arrive, while at the East side they are still advancing.

9, all combat troops.

10, all combat troops.

Losses
USSR : 112.000 troops, 1.875 guns, 205 AFVs, 439 AC.
Axis : 26.000 troops, 146 guns, 131 AFVs, 121 AC.

USSR units destroyed
6 rifle divisions, 1 AT artillery brigade, 1 PVO AA regiment, 3 NKVD border regiments, 4 fortified zones.

German pools
Manpower : 119
Vehicles : 172.292
Armaments : 105.742
Hiwi : 60.276

Concerns
There are two;
1. Some of our Mech/Panzer divisions are getting quite worn down
2. Railroads. We are starting to move quite a bit away from the railheads by now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 45
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 7:37:13 AM   
terje439

Turn 8 aka summary

Overall
We do not manage to cross the Dnepr this turn, however I feel this turns progress leaves some hard choices for Oloren as he needs to pull back in alot of positions or risk losing even more units. Still slow going towards Leningrad, and I now fear that I might once more fail to take it, but we will see. Progress seems far better in the south, even if AGS is the big looser in terms of lost battles.
HURRAY!!! The ITALIANS have entered the battle, that is gonna change things...Or...Waaaait!!!
Anyway, a total of 64 attacks gave us the following results; 4 helds, 41 retreats, 13 routs, 1 shatter and 5 surrenders.

USSR units in pockets at the start of the turn
10, all combat units

USSR units in pockets at the end of the turn

Losses
USSR : 144.000 troops, 2.360 guns, 839 AFVs, 287 AC.
Axis : 31.000 troops, 195 guns, 172 AFVs, 165 AC.

USSR units destroyed this turn
3 tank divisions, 2 motorized divisions, 5 rifle divisions, 2 fortified zones

USSR units destroyed in total
25 tank divisions, 10 motorized divisions, 51 infantry divisions, 3 cavalry divisions, 6 mountain divisions, 7 anti tank brigades, 3 motorized regiments, 7 artillery regiments, 9 anti air regiments, 17 security regiments, 4 anti air battalions, 1 engineer battalion and 42 fortified zones.
Would have liked to take out more cavalry before blizzard...

Axis pools
Manpower : 27.153
Vehicles : 168.463
Armaments : 113.065
Hiwi : 67.163

German pools
Manpower : 201
Vehicles : 168.247
Armaments : 107.927
Hiwi : 67.163

Dead Axis generals
The Fins report that General Erik Heinrichs has been killed in action.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 46
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 7:37:39 AM   
terje439

Center

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 47
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 7:37:56 AM   
terje439

South

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 48
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 7:43:30 AM   
hfarrish

Hate to say it Terje, since I love your AARs, but you are in serious trouble here (and I sympathize, b/c I just don't have the organizational aptitude to play the German side). Turn 8 and no Pskov, no Dnepr crossing and no Smolensk...you might be recalling your defensive skills from the last game sooner than you'd like.

Others smarter than me might be able to point out some turnaround strategies but it will be an uphill climb.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 49
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 8:47:47 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

Hate to say it Terje, since I love your AARs, but you are in serious trouble here (and I sympathize, b/c I just don't have the organizational aptitude to play the German side). Turn 8 and no Pskov, no Dnepr crossing and no Smolensk...you might be recalling your defensive skills from the last game sooner than you'd like.

Others smarter than me might be able to point out some turnaround strategies but it will be an uphill climb.

Yup, I am aware of it, the only bright side I can see is the rather light USSR defence in the south, but I fear the Blizzard will make or break me once more, and it is likely to break me tbh...

Terje

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 50
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 9:28:22 AM   
smokindave34

Its a bit too late for this particular summer; but in the future I'd recommend sending a security division (or two) to clear out the Pripyat marshes. You have what looks like the entire 2nd army in there. Have them bypass the swamps and support the drive on Moscow or Leningrad.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 51
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 9:46:34 AM   
randallw

Your opponent did make the mistake way up north and declined a bottleneck defense against the Finns; now once you get Leningrad the Finns can bash through that fort line near the No Attack Line.

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 52
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 9:51:25 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

Its a bit too late for this particular summer; but in the future I'd recommend sending a security division (or two) to clear out the Pripyat marshes. You have what looks like the entire 2nd army in there. Have them bypass the swamps and support the drive on Moscow or Leningrad.

Yeah, too long since I pushed through the Pripjet in the previous game, so "forgot" just how long it takes to go through. The plan was to a) clear the marsh, b) attack out of it eastwards.

Terje

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 53
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 9:51:45 AM   
terje439

quote:

Your opponent did make the mistake way up north and declined a bottleneck defense against the Finns; now once you get Leningrad the Finns can bash through that fort line near the No Attack Line.

Only problem ofc is that I need to take Leningrad

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 54
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 1:53:59 PM   
bigbaba

he is already fortifying the novogrod line so i doubt if you can capture leningrad. and that means no finns in this very important first blizzard.:(

also no dnjepr crossing by turn 8 and a dangerous situation for PG 1 in the south.

i realy don't want to be in your shoes terje.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 55
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/8/2012 2:11:43 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

i realy don't want to be in your shoes terje.

What?! Have you seen them!?
I have.
And tbh I would not want to either

Nah, I am doing a vs the AI game now as well to test things out etc, and I find that I am still too slow on the advance.
Gotta improve that aspect of my game for sure.

Terje

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 56
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/9/2012 9:12:13 AM   
terje439

Turn 9

Overall
Not a good turn really. Far too many held results across the front.
In the Leningrad - Pskov area the gowing is slow, we advance no more than one hex east on most of this area.
The area between Velikie Luki and Smolensk progress is better, with an advance of 2-5 hexes to the east.
At Gomel and Chernigov we force the Dnepr in a few places, but it will still be a turn or two before we are across in proper force.
In the south, most of the area west of Dnepr is under our control, and the USSR has fallen back across the river, but it is still in the south that the enemy is weakest.
A total of 39 attacks were made, scoring us 12 helds, 29 retreats, 7 routs and 1 shatter.

USSR units in pockets at the start of the turn

USSR units in pockets at the end of the turn
9, of which 1 will likely break free.

Losses
USSR : 52.000 troops, 1.200 guns, 223 AFVs, 230 AC.
Axis : 30.000 troops, 230 guns, 177 AFVs, 156.

USSR units destroyed
1 rifle division, 1 BM howitzer regiment and 1 fortified zone.

German pools
Manpower : 338
Vehicles : 165.942
Armaments : 102.606
Hiwi : 76.490

Wear and Tear
Most of the infantry is in good shape, but if the units/division/TOE is sorted, the panzers and mechanized units all show up as the most worn down, and that is seen at their CV as well. Some Panzer Divisions are now at 6 CV, so they are badly in need of a rest, yet I desperately need their movement on the map...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 57
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/10/2012 7:37:53 AM   
Scook_99

The bad: you look like you will be set up for a 2 part mud for your troops, pray the mud hits the north next turn before you get there.
The good: you won't have to worry about mud in the central the rest of summer. Make use of that and be aggressive in the central zone. This is where knowing the actual borders of the weather zones is important.

Yes, you are making mistakes, and getting mud at the soonest possible time it can hit is very frustrating. You are playing better than your previous AAR, so keep it up!

Audentes fortuna juvat.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 58
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/10/2012 12:14:57 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scook_99

The bad: you look like you will be set up for a 2 part mud for your troops, pray the mud hits the north next turn before you get there.
The good: you won't have to worry about mud in the central the rest of summer. Make use of that and be aggressive in the central zone. This is where knowing the actual borders of the weather zones is important.

Yes, you are making mistakes, and getting mud at the soonest possible time it can hit is very frustrating. You are playing better than your previous AAR, so keep it up!

Audentes fortuna juvat.

Mud in the north would not be too big a deal right now, since I am seriously contemplating abandoning the drive for Leningrad. With my "I'll have to attack 4 times with a 11:1 CV advantage to move that USSR unit"-ability, I do not see how I will manage to take the city unfortunately.
Would have been a real bummer if I did WORSE than my last game considering Berlin fell in -44 in that one

Terje

< Message edited by terje439 -- 9/10/2012 2:00:21 PM >

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 59
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 9/10/2012 2:00:04 PM   
terje439

Turn 10

Overall
Actually quite happy this turn. Gee this game turns me into some bipolar dude it seems
Although going off Leningrad is slow, the right hook has started to pick up its pace, so things are even looking up in this area. They are still not good, but they are better.
Around Gomel the USSR defences are unhinged, and the city should fall soon, the threat around Velikie Luki is starting to be severe for the USSR, the same is true about Chernigov. At Dnepropetrovsk (now, I dare you to pronounce that name quickly 10 times in a row), and the entrance to the Crimea we now have panzers across the Dnepr, and there reallyt are not many USSR troops in the area, this offer some good prospects.
We manage 57 attacks for the score of 11 helds, 32 retreats, 6 routs, 1 shatter and 7 surrenders this turn.

Losses
USSR : 108.000 troops, 1.823 guns, 334 AFVs, 212 AC.
Axis : 36.000 troops, 265 guns, 104 AFVs, 137 AC.

USSR units destroyed
1 motorized division, 7 rifle divisions, 1 cavalry division, 1 airborne brigades.

German pools
Manpower : 258
Vehicle : 161.302
Armaments : 96.432
Hiwi : 79.566

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI