Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

4.6 issue date ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 4.6 issue date ... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4.6 issue date ... - 1/31/2001 11:53:00 PM   
Silvarius

Hello, Does anybody knows precisely when 4.6 is expected ? I just would like to know if it's a question of days or of weeks, so that I don't start a new PBEM game the day before the upgrade is available ! Silvarius.

Post #: 1
- 2/1/2001 12:08:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We are curently working on a "Zecret Plan" that will supercede 4.6 and accelerate 5.0 I can't let the cat out of the bag, but the "New Mark" is for inclusion of a bit of a "Blast from the Past"... We are looking at 6-8 weeks probably for release

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 2
- 2/1/2001 12:26:00 AM   
molset

Oh boy! A new version. I just cant wait and still we all have to wait. Paul, it was really nasty to come with this criptic statement "blast from teh passed". What will be in ver 5.0. Please give a hint, plaese!!!!! best regard molset

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 3
- 2/1/2001 12:32:00 AM   
Silvarius

Humm, Paul, I'm not sure to get your reply correctly, my English failing me somewhat. Have I well understood if I say there won't be any 4.6 version, but a wonderfull 5.0 in 6-8 weeks, with everything we are eagerly waiting for and more ?

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 4
- 2/1/2001 12:52:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

It will have a few new things, one BIG new thing :-), and lots of problems corrected (though all things are never possible...) More will follow soon...

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 5
- 2/1/2001 1:07:00 AM   
Larry Holt

OOOOHHH, OOOOHHH, I am salivating now. Here are two suggestions that I've made before but I think would increase realism without having to code whole new modules, just tweak existing functionality. Can I have improved chance to hit probabilites for units in entrenchments/bunkers/etc. simulating having range cards made? Perhaps if a unit is in one of those statuses, it could be as if it had a very good rangefinder since the code/functionality for rangefinders is already available. How about random probablities that the asterix is correct and that you are under observation. (more experience = greter probablity that the asterix is accuratly depicting the enemy in the area) Thanks! ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 6
- 2/1/2001 1:17:00 AM   
Larry Holt

OH and add more orders for FO units (arty support is almost impossible with C&C on unless you buy an excessinve number of FOs) or perhaps make the number of orders a unit can generate and retain a preference setting. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 7
- 2/1/2001 1:39:00 AM   
Fuerte

While it is great to have a new version with as much new and corrected features as possible, I would still like to have a "final" version which will not be updated for a while. Why? Because I can't start secure PBEM games if the versions are being updated all the time. 4.6 should have been released a week ago, that's why I didn't play 4.5 at all. Now we still have to wait for a couple of months. I have not really played much SPWAW since 2.3... those were the days. Of course if the secure PBEM would work between versions... that would solve this problem. I could start playing right away.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 8
- 2/1/2001 1:51:00 AM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte: Why? Because I can't start secure PBEM games if the versions are being updated all the time. 4.6 should have been released a week ago, that's why I didn't play 4.5 at all. Now we still have to wait for a couple of months. I have not really played much SPWAW since 2.3... those were the days. Of course if the secure PBEM would work between versions... that would solve this problem. I could start playing right away.
Or you could start them now and wait on upgrading until you've completed the PBEM's . There's 3 months between 4.5 and 5.0, plenty of time to play. And it's not like the new version is something you absolutely need to have right away (well unless you play 4-player online games ). [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited January 31, 2001).]

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 9
- 2/1/2001 2:04:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

One big thing...Oh boy...what could it be?

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 10
- 2/1/2001 2:31:00 AM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Ezra: One big thing...Oh boy...what could it be?
Nukes ???

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 11
- 2/1/2001 3:29:00 AM   
Kharan

Since you got time, I'll pester you some more. I've been keeping notes of these, so here we go. Apart from what's been already fixed in v4.6... Bugs left to fix: -In 4-player games the reinforcement screen doesn't have a Done-button. You can get around this by pressing Escape. -Reinforcement hexes are randomly left out or reset in random battles with a custom map. Anyone know a workaround? -If you set a lot of spec ops target hexes and then set artillery priority hexes, spec ops targets are reset to your artillery targets. Probably vice versa too. (Hard to reproduce.) -Exiting online/timed games closes SPWAW altogether. -Reduce the VCR buffer to 15MB to get rid of the error message. Modifications: -Make CBF more powerful. -Add 1-3 turns randomly at the end. -Make tanks avoid buildings when retreating. -Make retreating smarter, away from the enemy first, only then towards the retreat hex. -Optimize pathfinding for tanks (15-28 moves) instead of halftracks (30-40 moves). -Having all victory hexes ends the game always. Shouldn't force morale also be low? -Add a toggle for fast artillery sound. -Let player fire smoke grenades in op-fire. -Firing on a routed unit should not make it pinned 98% of the time like it does now. (Probably not necessary anymore): -No assaulting for crews. Insert a check in the assault code to see if the unit is a crew. -If scout vehicles run automatically from tanks, crews should run away from any combat troops. This would also solve the previous issue. (Probably very hard to do): -Limited intel shouldn't abstract player's own troop icons. -Only paratroops should be able to paradrop. -Use the second digit in the "chance for radio" number to determine rarity, i.e. how often and many times you can buy a certain unit. Trivial stuff: -Fix encyclopedia changing to display fort data when the cursor is over a button. -Planes which have don't have or have run out of bombs shouldn't display the bombing message. -In timed and online play, range (by "y") needs to be entered twice. -Add scands and a word wrap to the log. Also sending messages would be more convenient by using the player's number instead of name. -Add "D - Fire smoke grenades" in gamehelp.txt. -Add "more breakdowns" in forests in terrain.txt. -Set live delay to 0 by default in the preferences. -Fix vehicle crews being added automatically to kill score (if you kill them, they are counted twice). -Add an option to ignore EXE/OOB check when loading a secure PBEM turn. [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited February 19, 2001).]

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 12
- 2/1/2001 3:38:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

If you don't want to worry about version compatibility, then just don't use passwords. It only casues a problem if you use secure pbem. We have to make sure the "Big Thing" works... Then we will say what it is... This will be the "Last hurrah" for a while...we want to make sure its as bug free as possible.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 13
- 2/1/2001 3:40:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

Ok let me get this right... NO version 4.6 approximately 3 months untill version 5.0 ?? therefore NO changes anticipated for a while ???

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 14
- 2/1/2001 3:42:00 AM   
Panzer Commander

Anti-Ballistic 150mm Shell System

Panzer Commander

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 15
- 2/1/2001 3:46:00 AM   
Fuerte

Speaking about bugs, the very first one I noticed in SPWAW back in 2.x days (when learning using the tutorial scenario) is still around: If C&C is on, and you click on a recon vehicle, the movement radius is not displayed correctly, unless you then click some other unit and back the first unit (or just double-click the recon unit). This bug has caused me to miss moving recon units many times, because it seems that it has moved already or is unable to move. The same thing does not happen if you use N and P keys to move between units. In this case the radius is always displayed correctly. And of course the 20 MB replay buffer allocation should be smaller (if that is the reason for the memory problems in some machines).

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 16
- 2/1/2001 3:52:00 AM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: If you don't want to worry about version compatibility, then just don't use passwords. It only casues a problem if you use secure pbem.
We have discussed this about N times. If the game has a secure PBEM feature, it would be nice to be able to use it! Just add an option to ignore EXE/OOB check when loading a secure PBEM turn. If you trust your friend and know that he has upgraded to a newer version (or if I have upgraded), then click Ignore. If you are playing an official tournament, then do not ignore, and complain to your opponent.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 17
- 2/1/2001 4:10:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

As you say we have been around and around...we have warned everybody since this thing began that this project was being done on a spiral development scale, so patches would come out periodically. There will never be a final version, there will likely be "semi-annual tweaks" as long as we can still do them and people still have ideas to improve teh game. IF you want to play secure, then agree on a version number and stick to it until you are done. OR install mutiple versions. There is only so much we can do for free... That may change someday if we revamp the pbem system, but I don't know how many times I can repeat the same thing. Sorry

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 18
- 2/1/2001 4:12:00 AM   
Kharan

Fuerte, I added that to my list .

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 19
- 2/1/2001 4:32:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

If one can dream ... If one could wish for just one blast from the past .... Brent's cities ...oh Pallas Athena let this be so ......

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 20
- 2/1/2001 4:50:00 AM   
David F. Wall

There was a rumor on Fabio's site, not long before the Matrix server went wonky, of what the big thing was. DFW

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 21
- 2/1/2001 5:02:00 AM   
Wild Bill

It's all good , and this will be too Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 22
- 2/1/2001 7:04:00 AM   
Alby

Bumping this up from ammo sgt> Ok let me get this right... NO version 4.6 approximately 3 months untill version 5.0 ?? therefore NO changes anticipated for a while ???

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 23
- 2/1/2001 7:19:00 AM   
troopie

Re: only paras should be able to paradrop. Not special forces, who were usually parachute trained? IMHO non-paras/specforces should be able to parachute only with a penalty. They should take casualties and have very high suppression. After all run a man through a quick and dirty paradropping course, and although he may know in his head what to do, he still hasn't learned it in his hands and belly. He will make mistakes and there will be broken bones. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 24
- 2/1/2001 7:50:00 AM   
Supervisor

That is not a bug, it is part of C & C. When an objective has been set for a unit. The movweement only shows the forward radius if it is poined towards the objective. You need to change the objective or C &C off to not have the movment radius limited.
quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte: Speaking about bugs, the very first one I noticed in SPWAW back in 2.x days (when learning using the tutorial scenario) is still around: If C&C is on, and you click on a recon vehicle, the movement radius is not displayed correctly, unless you then click some other unit and back the first unit (or just double-click the recon unit). This bug has caused me to miss moving recon units many times, because it seems that it has moved already or is unable to move. The same thing does not happen if you use N and P keys to move between units. In this case the radius is always displayed correctly. And of course the 20 MB replay buffer allocation should be smaller (if that is the reason for the memory problems in some machines).
------------------ Grenadier Matrix Games Technical Writer

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 25
- 2/1/2001 8:11:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: Bumping this up from ammo sgt> Ok let me get this right... NO version 4.6 approximately 3 months untill version 5.0 ?? therefore NO changes anticipated for a while ???
Was this answered?? If so I cant tell...LOL Alby

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 26
- 2/1/2001 8:28:00 AM   
Charles22

Fuerte: This is a theory mind you, but I think the recon units will show it's move radius IF you don't give them objectives as you do the rest of the units while using C&C. I've been doing this for some time and I think it works, though it's a bit hard to adjust to not giving all platoons objectives. One other problem you may be encountering, is that you have the units so zoomed in, that though the movement radius is being shown, you do not see it because the entire screen is it's movement radius, therefore it doesn't look like a movement radius when it is; it would only show up at the most zoomed out view. I think if you combine both of these ideas the problem will no longer exist.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 27
- 2/1/2001 8:34:00 AM   
JimY

I love SPWAW. I would like to express my appreciation to all the folks at Matrix Games. You take great pride in your work. which is why SPWAW is so good. I play mostly soltaire. I do have one suggestion. Since this game may always be a work in progress, I wonder if the version 4.6 or a beta could be released with the fixes and changes that have been accomplished. I am especially anxious to receive the fixes on vehicle and weapon breakdown and repair, which fascinate me. Those who play be email now know that the version will eventually be suberseeded.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 28
- 2/1/2001 10:33:00 AM   
Larry Holt

"big thing/blast from the past" aircraft in my core? more terrain levels? ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 29
- 2/1/2001 10:49:00 AM   
jorlando

about the PBEM feature: it is used as secure (with password) to get sure that it is the correct file from another player? I'm asking cause I didn't played this way (yet). So a workaround to the problem with passwords when a new version is released is to play WITHOUT passwords and when you send your files to your opponent you can zip them with password... Am I correct?

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 4.6 issue date ... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI