Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To Buy or not To Buy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> RE: To Buy or not To Buy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/24/2012 1:57:38 PM   
terje439

I am still on the fence on this one, the main reason is that there is not alot of proper info available imo (yes, there is the press release and the sreenshots, but that is really not what I need to know ), so I will ask a few Qs here and hope for some feedback;

1. It has been said that it is a fast played game. How long are the turns? 1 turn = 1 month/1 week or what?
2. How good is the AI?
3. How well does it play as pbem?
4. How many times have YOU replayed the game?
5. What is the best thing about this game?
6. What is the worst thing about this game?

I challenge you all, convince me to buy

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 31
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/24/2012 2:14:01 PM   
doomtrader

It looks like there is only one question about the fact and rest is about the opionion, then I will answer only the question number 1.
One turn is equal to 1 month.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 32
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/24/2012 2:33:18 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

It looks like there is only one question about the fact and rest is about the opionion, then I will answer only the question number 1.
One turn is equal to 1 month.

Nice, that is definitively a +

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 33
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/27/2012 1:16:26 AM   
32deuce

I would give it a 6, no higher. Game has serious issues that need to be addressed.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 34
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/27/2012 7:59:56 AM   
Magpius

@32D.
If you itemise the issues, they will be looked at.

(in reply to 32deuce)
Post #: 35
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/27/2012 8:09:56 AM   
doomtrader

Hi 32deuce,

If you would like to share us your opinion, please do so. For sure it will help us to improve the game further or maybe explain some doubts.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 36
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/27/2012 5:47:43 PM   
AZKGungHo

Once they solve the balance issues this will be a great game. Right now the Germans are unstoppable against the Russians, which blows the whole game up if you are playing against the AI. Head to Head might be another matter, I don't know. PLEASE deal with this!

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 37
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 9/27/2012 6:07:04 PM   
doomtrader

This is what we are going to do in 1.05

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 38
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 10/4/2012 6:52:26 AM   
clifford1944

I do want to get this game soon. I have faith that the Eastern Front will get tuned up.

A little time on the Eastern Front will clear his head. General Burkhalter

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 39
Wish I Hadn't Bought - 10/10/2012 5:14:21 PM   
Omnius

I'm sorry but after seeing a run through as Switzerland just to see how the AI's played the game with the new 1.04 patch I wish I had never wasted my money or time buying SWiE! Or Time of Fury for that matter as it crashes to desktop far too often. This could have been a good, fun, quick-to-play game but so far I just can't see playing it for real. I did once in the 1.02 version as the USSR in the 1939 campaign and wondered why the heck I couldn't reach the number of units or the tech levels in the 1941 campaign. In 1.02 there was a huge imbalance with the USSR being totally incapable of standing up to Germany, even setting the USSR at Very Easy while every other country was at Normal the USSR actually did worse and surrendered. With 1.04 the USSR actually won the game but that was because this game the German AI was absolutely pathetic.

One reason seems to be with how allies change home country hexes to looking like they've been captured. At the beginning of war with the USSR I turned off Fog of war and noticed that Germany owned hexes in Italy, Hungary and Romania, including some cities. Heck Hungary owned Vienna for some odd reason. It looked like the Axis AI's were stacking up against each other rather than putting units in the USSR. It looked absolutely bizarre and definitely different from 1.02.

I certainly wish I had never bought these two games, so far I consider them a waste of money and time. I wish I could return the boxed games and get a refund as these two games just are not worth playing in their present condition. I should have paid more attention to the comparison to Hearts of iron, one of the worst games ever made.

(in reply to clifford1944)
Post #: 40
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 10/15/2012 12:03:28 AM   
JLPOWELL

Cant' say I recomend buying based on the current product (1.04) but there is potential here.

I REALLY wanted to like this game. Initial impression was very good. The programing production quality is significantly improved over ToF The UI is cleaner and game upgrades are handled cleanly and automatically.

Following based on some play time single player mostly the 1939 scenario (played both sides vrs AI)
Other scenarios may be better and the 1939 scenario is pretty good as Allies

This is ToF extra light with extra bad events and AI balance. Better off with ToF or Axis and Allies if you want 'lite'
Very good work on the programing front lots of improvements, on the game design front (looking at the 1939 scenario where Human plays Axis which I expect is would be the most popular scenario) pretty much the opposite unfortuatately.

Cleaning up the events and some modding may get this back on track, but its pretty rough at the moment.
Sorry guys I like the interface etc but the scenario balance at least for the AI is horrible. It may be playable PBEM, but for solo play essentially useless if you play the Axis.

Solo play as Axis 2 of 10 essentially useless to play the AI (Western Allies can't defend themselves USSR gets a thick blanket of extra powerful units having the opposite effect)
Solo play as Allies 6 of 10 based on playing thru about 1943

Events (particularly AI ones) are opaque, totally drive the game and force the strictly historical track (any deviation appears to bring in the more extreme sudden events)

PBEM potential 6 of 10

With some house rules like no invading Gibralter England USA Malta (You can grab pretty much anything you want as GE or IT with 3 AIP and an infantry corps)
Solo Play 2 of 10 (totally event driven. Huge forces 'appear' in Russia for example. Easy to invade anywhere Germany goes wild except in USSR where the AI gets giant piles o tanks (advanced models) sprouting like mushrooms.

If you want to play the Axis 1939 scenario vrs AI; forget it get another game
If you want to play Allies only in 1939 scenario there is some decent play value here.
PBEM untested by me but it looks like it has potential. I expect a bit of 'Germans Go Wild' with out the massive AI only USSR reinforcements however so some house rules would be needed.

"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 41
RE: To Buy or not To Buy - 10/15/2012 2:24:28 PM   
Nimrod 9th

How good is the AI?: Lots already posted. Pretty good as early war Germany (offense 1939-42). Not so good as late war Germany (defense 1943-1945). As Allies the Normany invasion isn't very good: piece meal and coordination between Canada/England/USA does not happen. I have NOT played as Germany in the 1943 and 1944 scen. My favorite game 1943 as Canada (easy)/England(normal)/USSR(easy)/USA(normal). All Axis on normal. With the same settings I've tried 1942 many times but rarely (note I didn't say never) can I get the USSR to hold out.

pbem?: haven't done it. Looks like it would be good though once early war USSR issues are figured out.

How many times have you played the game?: More than 10 less than 50.

Best thing: The scope (size of map, size/number of units, time to play one game, etc)

Worst thing: AI

Do I recommend it? Depends on what you are looking for. It meets my needs and I like it. I didn't want a complex long to play Hearts of Iron III or Time of Fury.

(in reply to JLPOWELL)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> RE: To Buy or not To Buy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI