Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/11/2012 12:31:44 PM   
Brainsucker

Yes, development diaries is a good idea. It is a way for the dev to communicate their new game to us

(in reply to darcion)
Post #: 61
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/11/2012 9:13:28 PM   
AndonSage

Well I'm busy with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, so I can wait for an expansion

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Brainsucker)
Post #: 62
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/11/2012 11:06:58 PM   
WiZz

I'm just wondering, is it too difficult to show a list of upcoming features?

(in reply to AndonSage)
Post #: 63
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/12/2012 12:02:49 AM   
Frildin

Now now, be patient. I'm sure everyone on the forums is excited for the new expansion. When they have a list finalized, they'll show it everyone and we can start drooling.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 64
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/12/2012 11:06:53 AM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz

I'm just wondering, is it too difficult to show a list of upcoming features?

Case 1:

Devs: "We are working on implementing X"
Community: "Meh."
Devs: "Oh, turns out X is going to conflict with Y. We are going to implement Y instead"
Community: "Whaaaaat? We want X!!! And Y! And Z! There must be a Z! Rage, rage!"

Case 2:

Devs: "We have implemented Y. Here is the finished product"
Community: "Yaaay! Y is so cool!"

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 65
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/12/2012 1:10:25 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
Case 2:

Community: "Yaaay! Y is so cool!"

Case 3:

Community: "Yaaay! Y is so cool! But if your implementing Y what the frak happened to A to X???"

Darkspire

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 66
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/12/2012 6:03:22 PM   
Harrs

Pff thats too easy its more complex..
Case 4:

Community: "Nice! Y its quite ok, but only small improvements to Y+ would make it much much better!"
Rage, rage!" Rage, rage!" Rage, rage!"

Case 5:

Devs: "We are working on implementing X"
Community: "Yes thats ok.. but please take into account that X with a little bit Y+ is much better"
Devs: "Oh, turns out that the community isnt so stupid. We are going to implement X and Y+ instead"
Community: " "Yaaay! The devs are so cool! We have a little bit influence and the game is now better"

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 67
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 5:12:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

Here's something to thank you all for your patience while we work on the next expansion. We're still planning to announce more information by the end of October.

So, without further ado... Gravitic Weapons.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Harrs)
Post #: 68
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 6:48:01 AM   
Shark7

Hmmm Gravitic Weapons...could this mean...tractor beams?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 69
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 9:51:07 AM   
numahr

Gravitic weapons may be related to the planet's gravity wells: the possibility to throw asteroids at planets or something like this?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 70
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 10:03:50 AM   
feelotraveller

My money is on tractor beams... enabling boarding

I'll hazard a guess that 'shadows' might be ninja pirates... well, invigorated stealth mechanics at least. 

(in reply to numahr)
Post #: 71
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 10:48:21 AM   
Sithuk

Gravitic weapons.sigh.

1) How about a UI tweak to set minimum troop levels at a global level and also per planet so our automated TTs don't strip all our troops from a freshly invaded world that is in a risk zone, only to see it re-taken because no minimum troop levels to over rule an automated TT.

2) A selective filter to stop the incessant under attack pop-up windows.

Those two features alone would be enough for me to buy the expansion. Forget gravitic weapons and anything else for that matter until the UI is sorted.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 72
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 11:10:54 AM   
Arcatus

Meh.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 73
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 12:02:28 PM   
Bingeling

Yeah, I am sure tractor beams (or similar) is the only feature of the expansion.

Time to get worried

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 74
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 12:33:07 PM   
Algoritm

Gravitic Weapons... hmmm, I wonder if this implies adding a technology that would allow an empire to make a star implode into a blackhole thus sucking in and destroying all planets in it's orbit. :p

Sounds pretty fun to me.

Don't forget all the little features which would make this game perfect (like being able to make a fleet disband without giving the order to each individual ship in the fleet, or asking multiple troop transports to invade a planet without again having to select each one individually... or being able to make a construction ship skip to the next order in the building queue...)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 75
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 12:42:59 PM   
Bingeling

Disband fleet: Ship list. Sort on fleet. Not perfect, but nothing that bother me much.

Send a few ships to invade. Organize them in a fleet. Or multiselect from nearby ships with dragging a box shift/control clicking. I think I miss an option to multiselect ships this way and have fleet options (join) on right click.

Are you sure giving the "stop" order to a construction ship won't stop the current mission, but keep the rest of the queue? I don't have the game up, and I am not sure myself.

Gravitic weapons. I want a tool to tow that juicy rare resource planet into my zone of control...

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 76
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 2:17:13 PM   
Nedrear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Gravitic weapons. I want a tool to tow that juicy rare resource planet into my zone of control...

So you don't care that the native inhabitants and most likely the cause of your resource (plants, geological mechanics etc.) are going to die in dark space? Smart idea sure... go ahead. I love 100 lumps of ice worlds in my system with no resource other than water and stone...

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 77
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 2:18:34 PM   
Harrs

Meh I want real TERRAFORMING.. And a harder difficulty.. Monster hard..

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 78
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 2:36:43 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

So you don't care that the native inhabitants and most likely the cause of your resource (plants, geological mechanics etc.) are going to die in dark space? Smart idea sure... go ahead. I love 100 lumps of ice worlds in my system with no resource other than water and stone...

Bft, nothing that a couple of heaters and a few light bulbs can't solve.

Or just upscale the tractor beam a tad, and tow in the whole system.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 79
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 4:52:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

That was perhaps too small of a bone, but I can't give everything away just yet. Suffice it to say that mentioning one feature does not exclude others and the folks who've posted so far I expect will for the most part be quite happy.

I'll confirm two things regarding gravitic weapons. Tractor/Repulsor beams and singularity creation (though perhaps not in the way that you might expect).

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 10/13/2012 4:53:55 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 80
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 5:45:45 PM   
Nedrear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

...singularity creation (though perhaps not in the way that you might expect).

There is only one kind of gravitational singularity and that is an object of zero volume and infinite weight in that point. It is an ideal object which even a black whole can not create since quantum effects keep it at a certain diameter per elementary particle.

And therefore since singularity is an ideal principle without natural occurence, we can not imagine what you might consider.

But since most screamed for it I guess you made a technology which under high cost of materials can be build and can create a wormhole between two spaceports or special wormhole stations. These wormholes actually just cut through the wrinkly third dimension to achieve a fourth dimension shortcut to an adjacent wrinkle. But that is no singularity...

Still I could accept wormholes as long as thy are expensive to create.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 81
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 5:58:16 PM   
Bingeling

I don't think I have missed wormholes to abuse much after the early game. And I doubt they are available at that time. The worst I have suffered are troop transports being a bit at the wrong side if someone attack me once I prepare at a different front.

But since you went straight to wormholes, they are obviously used for something different :)

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 82
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 6:21:40 PM   
Igard

This game has been crying out for tractor beams for a long time now. Very happy to hear this news! Should add a nice mechanic to space combat and possible some logistical uses. Moving asteroids, herding space creatures? I've always felt that killing the space creatures on sight is a bit out of character for some races.

What I would think of first from singularity creation is some sort of energy source, but maybe that's just me thinking of Romulan Warbirds. Or perhaps to destroy stars? That would be insane! (but in a good way). I guess the most plausible is wormholes, but since that's probably what most of us expect, maybe it's too obvious.

Personally not bothered if the science is accurate, just as long as it makes some gaming sense.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 83
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 6:22:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry Nedrear, I was indeed being too casual with the term "singularity". Let's perhaps just say "extreme gravity" and think about things like black holes.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 84
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 6:23:35 PM   
Bingeling

Why bother building a world destroyer to clean out the nastie's home system with 3 juicy colonies, when you can instead build a cheap star destroyer, and just nuke the star?

Saves on the long term energy bill, for sure.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 85
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 6:28:52 PM   
adecoy95

nuke their sun, its the only way to be completely sure

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 86
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 6:47:32 PM   
Nedrear

How do you want to nuke a nuclear fusion? You can also not increase the reaction time of the star fusion and by that reduce its life span. Only way would be to toss it into an already existing black whole... overkill much.
Well since Erik pointed out that our "sing-thing" is a black whole dependant feature the star destroyer still seems a bit off... but extrem gravity as a weapon to crush a shielded enemy under its own armor is really mean in general. Nothing to say I hate you rather than a graviton gun in the morning.

Well at least we can rule out a gravity well to pull people out of hyperspace... we got that already.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 10/13/2012 6:48:26 PM >

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 87
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/13/2012 11:06:03 PM   
adecoy95

whoa there buddy, lol

i did not mean my statement to be taken so literally.

whatever these gravity weapons are, hopefully they will let you grab ships that are trying to kite you. should give my current military designs a reason to adapt.

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 10/13/2012 11:07:36 PM >

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 88
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/14/2012 2:17:43 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

whatever these gravity weapons are, hopefully they will let you grab ships that are trying to kite you. should give my current military designs a reason to adapt.

HOLD STILL DAMNIT!!!!!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 89
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/14/2012 5:45:45 AM   
AminMaalouf

tractors + transporters*
tractors + boarding parties**
Are we going to be able to board ships now?

*, ** not yet mentioned variables

< Message edited by AminMaalouf -- 10/14/2012 5:46:34 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI