Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Robusto Havana

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Robusto Havana Page: <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/2/2012 10:07:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Jammy sod. He's going to black cat a lot of people and, one day, get his lights punched out.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9451
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 10:02:27 AM   
sprior

Welcome to Britain! No, no, not that welcome. Seriously, put her down.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 9452
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 1:40:59 PM   
sprior

Another game of spot the tank:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9453
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 1:44:08 PM   
sprior

Submarine Escape Training Tank (from the top):

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9454
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 1:46:24 PM   
sprior

And here is it demonstated

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9455
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 4:32:20 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Is that in case the submarine is ever stuck face down?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9456
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 4:38:27 PM   
moore4807

quote:

Having never been inside a submarine and asking possibly the world's stupidest question, once the first person gets out of the escape hatch what keeps the water out of the inside of the submarine while the second and so forth escape?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9457
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 5:21:53 PM   
sprior

quote:

Is that in case the submarine is ever stuck face down?

Sumarines don't have faces. Duh.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9458
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 5:31:33 PM   
sprior

quote:

once the first person gets out of the escape hatch what keeps the water out of the inside of the submarine while the second and so forth escape?

The escape tower has hatches top and bottom. open Bottom hatch, person goes in. Shut bottom hatch. Equalise pressures (using LP air). Open top hatch. Close top hatch (from inside submarine. Drain tower. Repeat.

In a rush escape the bottom hatch is opened and the compartment flooded to above the level of the bottom hatch. The whole compartment is then pressurised to equalise outside sea pressure before the top hatch is opened. You duck under the bottom hatch and head straight up. This has the disadvantage of having people under pressure for a lot longer and introduces risks of the bends and CO2 poisoning.

http://www.rnsubs.co.uk/Dits/Articles/escape.php

Also found this:

Don't know what the requirement is today, but we did two 30' runs, one 60', and one 100'. These were free ascents. That is; wearing your best beachboy posing trunks (I suppose today it would be a pair of Speedoes), a stole (a sort of life jacket), and a nose clip. After the free ascents, we then made a "Suit" ascent from 100'.
A free ascent involved standing in a "pot" to the side of the tower (except for the 100', where it was done from a compartment at the base of the tower), the pot was then flooded to equalise the pressure and pop the hatch open. All the time that the pot was flooding, you had to hold your nose, and your mouth shut, and breath-out, reasonably hard to equalise the pressure against your ears. Thus reduce, or even negating a lot, and I mean a lot, of pain. Should you not be able to clear your ears, then the instructors would shove a load of "Otravine" up your snoz in the hope that it would then enable you to do so. Failing that, it was a case of "live with the pain son, it's not for long". Of course, if your eardrums went, then you really didn't need to worry about the pain anymore. The problem with that of course, was you could no longer hear the instructions being issued.
Back to the run. When pressure equalised, and ears cleared (or not), you would stick your bum out of the hatch (forgot to mention, we were also fitted with a belt, that had two straps hanging from the rear), the swimmers would grab the straps, pull you to the centre of the tank and let you go. The other thing here was, that you had to breath out in a steady stream all the way to the surface, otherwise you could go pop. This because at that depth you were at one atmosphere greater than on the surface, and therefore twice as much air in your lungs than necessary.
After the second 30', we would do the one 60', following the same format.
Should you still be alive, able to stand up, or walk in a straight line, it was on to the the 100' free ascent. This was conducted from the base of the tank, and you went out vertically, much as you would do in a real "Rush Escape" in either the fore, or after ends of a "real" (diesel) submarine.
Had you shown any signs of not following the instructions regarding breathing out, you would now be in a decompression chamber for the next week.
Finally it was the suit run. This time we were dressed up in an immersion suit, which covered your bonce, but they did at least provide a plastic window so you could witness your own demise. Underneath the hood you had your faithful nose clip on, to enable you to clear your ears. Instead of flooding an entire compartment, this time you were placed in a single man escape tower, and only this was flooded. The drawback with this was; that it flooded quicker, so you had to keep clearing your ears at what at the time, seemed like amazing speed. Once equalised, the lid opened, and out you would pop. The forward thinking "tank team" had this time fitted you with a sort of waste strop with a clip attached. So, once out of the tower, a swimmer would grab you, attach the clip the a length of steel wire which ran the entire length of the tower. The swimmer would then gesture for you to say something, usually on the lines of "bollox, let me go you bstd", and once done, he would do exactly that. This time you did not need to breath out, as your body was still at surface pressure. Once done, and all of your necessaries were still in the right place, you were done until five years hence.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 9459
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 6:32:03 PM   
moore4807

Fascinating...
Thanks for the explanation, Of course my being 6'3" and 250 lbs in my youthful days would have precluded me enjoying those delights... I once had a chance to try to go into a WWII submarine on display at Baltimores Inner Harbor. After two attempts getting my shoulders through the hatch, the guide kindly whispered to me " Sir, your holding up the line" which was my cue to smile and stand next to the conning tower til the crowd passed and I could escape down the gangway...

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9460
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 7:00:40 PM   
sprior

I'm 6'4 but back in my 20s was a sveldte 180lbs.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 9461
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 9:44:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Fascinating...
Thanks for the explanation, Of course my being 6'3" and 250 lbs in my youthful days would have precluded me enjoying those delights... I once had a chance to try to go into a WWII submarine on display at Baltimores Inner Harbor. After two attempts getting my shoulders through the hatch, the guide kindly whispered to me " Sir, your holding up the line" which was my cue to smile and stand next to the conning tower til the crowd passed and I could escape down the gangway...

Much the same happened to me once but it was because of my head.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 9462
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 9:47:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: spriorThe escape tower has hatches top and bottom. open Bottom hatch, person goes in. Shut bottom hatch. Equalise pressures (using LP air). Open top hatch. Close top hatch (from inside submarine. Drain tower. Repeat.

Yikes! What do they do if there is a code brown in the escape tower?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9463
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 9:57:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Another game of spot the tank:

Fairly thick side armor compared to that last one.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9464
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 10:37:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So, I am at this medical conference this morning in Newport Beach. Nice hotel. Good speakers. I learned a lot. The coffee is good. The weather is perfect. Beautiful bamboo garden. Great day all around. It's break time so I go outside to call the phone company and, naturally, I am on hold on my cell with music and ads. There is another attendee, a woman, outside texting on her phone. Don't know her. We never talked. We are maybe about 8 feet away from each other.

A 20 something babe walks by in her workout outfit. She is wearing one molecule thick tights which have been hand-sewn on Saville Road to reveal every anatomical detail, which in this case was another blessing on a perfect day. In celebration of this miraculous confluence of aesthetic splendor I find myself saying, "Oh man! Nice ass!"

You know how people talk too loud when they are on their cell phone? Well, I guess I do too. The other woman gets up suddenly walks right in front of me and gives me the "you ******* pervert" look.

Post #: 9465
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 10:42:32 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

So, I am at this medical conference this morning in Newport Beach. Nice hotel. Good speakers. I learned a lot. The coffee is good. The weather is perfect. Beautiful bamboo garden. Great day all around. It's break time so I go outside to call the phone company and, naturally, I am on hold on my cell with music and ads. There is another attendee, a woman, outside texting on her phone. Don't know her. We never talked. We are maybe about 8 feet away from each other.

A 20 something babe walks by in her workout outfit. She is wearing one molecule thick tights which have been hand-sewn on Saville Road to reveal every anatomical detail, which in this case was another blessing on a perfect day. In celebration of this miraculous confluence of aesthetic splendor I find myself saying, "Oh man! Nice ass!"

You know how people talk too loud when they are on their cell phone? Well, I guess I do too. The other woman gets up suddenly walks right in front of me and gives me the "you ******* pervert" look.

Don't feel embarrassed. She only said that because it's true!

Post #: 9466
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 11:05:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Don't feel embarrassed. She only said that because it's true!

I wasn't really embarrassed...it was more amusement.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9467
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/3/2012 11:09:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Bloody 'ell! It says we are not supposed to say "bloody".

Along the same line, the term "GI bag" for British women consorting with American GI's hardly seems very PC. I thought that was part of Lend-Lease.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 9468
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 12:19:05 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*************22;40, Feb. 15, 1943(c), Aboard USS SC-709, 40 nm NW Sorong**********

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: ...Damnit, Rodriguez, can't you write without talking out loud?

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: It's the way I learned it.

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Well, keep it quiet then.

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: Okay, tell me if you see something. <Goes back to writing> "See, what happened, mom, is some Jap battlewagons showed up yesterday afternoon and fought it out with our bigger ships while we got underway. Now, we got sent back to check our tail. I hope we don't find anything but just in case I wanted to say that Julio can have my guitar if I don't make it.."

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Rodriguez, if you don't make it what makes you think your guitar is going to make it?

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: I have my St. Christopher medal taped to the inside. He's the patron saint of sailors. My brother Julio gave it to me.

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Rodriguez, you ever hear what happened to St. Christopher?

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: No, but I'm sure it must have been good.

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: You think so?

Lt. Kermit Kansas Pugh, CO: ENEMY DESTROYERS AND CRUISERS DEAD AHEAD! I'M COMING AROUND! WE'RE GONNA CROSS THEIR "T" BOYS! MAIN BATTERY PREPARE TO FIRE!

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Main battery? Who the **** is he trying to kid? RODRIGUEZ, GET UP NOW AND GET READY TO LOAD.................

Post #: 9469
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 12:24:44 AM   
Cap Mandrake

***********************Feb 16, 1943(c)*********************

Ambon: This little burg was bypassed as you may recall. JJ snuck some damaged subs in. Evidently they must be pretty banged up. This won't help. We still have LB-30 squadrons attacking lightly defended targets. Even some B-18's flying ASW at Horn Is. Using the heavies aggressivley has a down side.

Morning Air attack on Ambon , at 76,109

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17F Fortress x 6
LB-30 Liberator x 2

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
SS I-170, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS I-16, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk

Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Post #: 9470
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 12:29:52 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Tai-elanden: Isuzu shows up again North of Ternate in the Sundas/Mindanao gap...it probably has a name but I forget what it is called. I don't know what they are doing. Maybe landing troops by fast transport? Maybe they were tasked to attack Sidate or Ternate but chickened out?

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Talaud-eilanden at 82,96

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
SBD-3 Dauntless x 17

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Isuzu
DD Akizuki

Post #: 9471
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 12:32:39 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Burma: JJ goes after the Chindit Brigade again. A bit bigger CAP this time. Probably we should equip one of the P-40 squadrons in Burma with the newly arrivign P-38H?

Morning Air attack on 77th Chindit Brigade, at 63,41 (Warazup)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 45

Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 5
Hurricane IIc Trop x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Sea Hurricane Ib: 1 destroyed
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Post #: 9472
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 12:34:36 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Let's see..did I miss anything?

Post #: 9473
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 1:56:28 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

If that workout suit really was that thin, nope!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 9474
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 2:14:10 AM   
Grollub

quote:

Did the guitar make it?

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Post #: 9475
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 1:05:26 PM   
Chickenboy

Did your phone have a camera?

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 9476
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 1:07:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Bloody 'ell! It says we are not supposed to say "bloody".

Along the same line, the term "GI bag" for British women consorting with American GI's hardly seems very PC. I thought that was part of Lend-Lease.

Yeah. "Up Brittania" what what.

Post #: 9477
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 2:02:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

quote:

Did the guitar make it?

**************22:45, Feb 15, 1943(c)**************

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski straddles a section of wooden hull. He takes one last look around the debris and then begins to paddle toward the nearest island. His paddle is a 1934 Gibson.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Sorong at 82,107, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
CA Aoba
DD Kiyonami
DD Samidare

Allied Ships
SC-709, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Improved night sighting under 89% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 89% moonlight: 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
Pugh, K.K. crosses the 'T'
CA Aoba engages SC-709 at 8,000 yards
CA Atago engages SC-709 at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
CA Aoba engages SC-709 at 7,000 yards
SC-709 sunk by DD Kiyonami at 7,000 yards
Ijuin, Matsuji orders Japanese TF to disengage
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/4/2012 2:03:18 PM >

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 9478
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 2:21:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

At this conference yesterday, "Big Pharma" had booths set up to sell their stuff during the break.

Thanks to Michael Moore the days of golf vacations on Maui are gone, I can tell you.

It was really pitiful. They can't even give out pens now. Even so, pediatricians, especially the Asian women for some reason, are so cheap they were fighting over the fiber snacks at one exhibit. I arrived late and the breakfast stuff was gone. I saw one chick with 3 yogurts in her purse. It was like lunch break on the Bataan death march.

You would NEVER see plastic surgeons or even cardiologists demean themselves like that.

I had to leave the tent.

Post #: 9479
RE: Robusto Havana - 11/4/2012 2:27:53 PM   
witpqs

quote:

At this conference yesterday, "Big Pharma" had booths set up to sell their stuff during the break.

Thanks to Michael Moore the days of golf vacations on Maui are gone, I can tell you.

It was really pitiful. They can't even give out pens now.

Yeah but I've heard the salesladies wear one-molecule thick bikinis and - you get the idea.

Post #: 9480
Page:   <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Robusto Havana Page: <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI