Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/12/2012 11:37:40 AM   
J HG T

You can repair any damaged derelict ships with contructors. Just select a constructor and then click on the damaged ship you want to repair (should show a hammer as a pointer).
World Destroyers, and other derelict ships will take considerable amount of time to repair, but you get small research bonus while repairing them.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 31
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/16/2012 6:33:21 PM   
onomastikon

Thanks so much, that helps a lot.

Does Subjugation actually get me anything? Twice now I have dominated my opponent, but not really had the troops to take his homeworld. So when he sued for peace, I clicked the option "only if you become my subjugated vassal", although the exact wording is probably different. I do not, however, notice anything "different" for me except the bar on the diplomacy screen is now yellow instead of red. I'm not getting any money from him (tribute = 0), he still yells at me to get my ships out of his space, and he won't give me anything. Conversly, I do not seem to have any duties towards him. So what is this subjugation thing all about?

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 32
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/22/2012 3:23:05 PM   
onomastikon

Alright, thought I would ask a couple of tiny short ones in addition ... thanks much in advance!

- The facility "teraformer" helps when the quality of a planet is damaged. Is there a way to find out in the planets list which of my planets have lost quality and could use a teraformer?
- The facility "teraformer" helps when the quality of a planet is damaged. Is there something that helps when "plague" strikes? I have one planet which has been struck by plague, and I am looking for a counter. I don't see anything in the medical tree. What am I missing? Or are they supposed to just go away at some point by themselves?
- My leader has often improved his "diplomacy" skill. But what does this actually do? Am I supposed to use this somehow?
- The Dhayut get victory points for enslavement, is that the same as subjugation? Is that what subjugation in my above post which no-one answered is used for, and for the other races is useless?
- Or is enslavement something else, and if I were to play Dhayut, how would I use it?

thanks much!

Post #: 33
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/22/2012 4:08:39 PM   
Theluin

Subjugation give around 20% (I'm not sure about the exact value) of the defeated empire's positive income as tribute - if you're not getting any it means you did too good a job on demolishing you opponent's economy
I don't think the list shows which planet got damaged. (You'll get a pop-up message each time someone bombards one of your colonies or a disaster hits you) The terraformer however doesn't cost any upkeep and is quite cheap to build so it might be a good idea to have it on most if not all of your planets. You never know which planet will get hit and in the time it takes to build a terraformer might cost you a bigger population loss.
Bombarding it or blowing it up with a world killer helps . Besides from that there is nothing you can really do. However I often bombard even my allies if a planet near my borders is hit by a plague - the thing spreads really quickly and can do big damage. (I saw the populations of two neighbouring AI empires get cut in half by a plague outbreak)
The diplomacy skill of your leader increases your relations with all other empires by a given percentage. Conversely the diplomacy skill of your ambassador increases your relations with the empire you send him to.
Enslavement is a population policy. You can set it for every planet in the population tab on the planets list. It gives the planet an income bonus that depends on how much of the planet's population is enslaved (I think the formula is Enslaved Population/Total Population * 50% but I'm not 100% sure)

Post #: 34
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/22/2012 6:39:35 PM   
onomastikon

Hey thanks so much. That's a shame about not being able to do anything about plague: to be honest, I think it is ungood to have a gameplay feature of this sort in a strategy game for which there is no counter -- the player should be encouraged to weigh benefits and drawbacks of investing something as a countermeasure (e.g. a facility in the med branch or whatever).

I seem to be having a problem with refuelling. No matter how often I tell my ships of fleet 1, for instance, to refuel at refuelling ship X, there are 4 ships which do not do so. Refuelling ship X has in cargo more than enough caslon AND hydrogen, and that is not reserved. The other ships of the fleet can refuel at X without a problem. Have I made some terrible error?

I just purchased some new tech, an upgrade to my velocity shard and to my shockwave torpedo. In the design screen, I can see epsilon torpedoes (which I don't want, they are way obsolete), but I cannot see the shockwave torpedo. Why is that?

One other thing I have not entirely understood: The difference between fighters and bombers. There are lots of different sub-types of each, and that seems fairly clear, but do I need to concentrate somehow on one or the other (fighters vs bombers)?

< Message edited by onomastikon -- 1/22/2012 6:42:08 PM >

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 35
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/22/2012 8:47:30 PM   
Theluin

In RP sense (even the devs have spoken on that subject) those plagues are not some simple sicknesses with a cure (if they were they would have to be WAY more common) but incurable diseases that spread through populations like lightning. I think that the current system is good, only feature which could be implemented is the ability to bombard own colonies to stop the plague

Do they move to the RS ship? Perhaps it simply has less docking bays than there are ships in fleet 1 and those 4 ships are just waiting for their turn.
Or there really isn't enough fuel or them. If you order ships to refuel it doesn't get reserved at the location you have to manually count if it is enough or the entire fleet.

Because legends added so much new weapons some of them sometimes get pushed right to the bottom of the list or disappear altogether. Try scrolling down and showing obsolete components.

Well fighters and bombers are automatically built by the computer in a 1:1 ratio (I'm not sure you can even turn that particular automation off). Generally fighters are more manoeuvrable shoot fast moving projectiles and fire more rapidly than bombers but deal less damage. Fighters are for shooting down other fighters/bombers and sometimes chasing down lightly shielded and armoured enemy vessels while bombers are for slower and heavier targets.
The only real choice is whether to go for missile or torpedo bombers. Missile bombers offer higher survivability (Because they stay out of the range of enemy point-defence) while torpedo bombers have high damage output but tend to get picked of by enemy fighters and PD.

< Message edited by Theluin -- 1/22/2012 8:50:26 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/23/2012 8:13:45 AM   
onomastikon

Thanks much!
Showing obsolete weapons works. Odd that epsilon torpedoes are not considered obsolete but shockwaves are.
Yes, the ships I order to refuel at the Resupply Ship do move there. After some weeks, they sit around and revert back to "no mission", and nothing happens. Have tried individually selecting just 2 of the ships and ordering them manually to refuel, the same thing happens, it cannot be a docking bay shortage. They both have a 400 fuel capacity, my RS has about 5000k caslon and 7000k hydrogen on board. The other ships of the fleet could refuel without problem. Those ships which cannot refuel do not have damaged fuel components (or any damaged components at all apparently), and neither does the RS. Maybe it is a bug?

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 37
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/23/2012 3:13:46 PM   
onomastikon

While I am at it, I will risk asking:

- Victory Conditions 1: As Ackdarians, I need to colonize the 3 largest ocean planets. I have 1 of 3 (my homeworld). But for the life of me I cannot see how to FIND the others, besides pure chance. The Galaxy map thing won't let me sort by planet type, and the F3 list won't show any viable candidates anymore (nearing the latter phase of Midgame). Besidese clicking on *everything* in the galaxy, any tips?
- Victory Conditions 2: One of my opponents is a cat-like race who needs to "build the something-wonder" as a victory condition. So far that is at zero, but we are nearing that tech level slowly. Can I prevent him from ever getting points for that by building it myself? Or rather: Do you get points for it if you CAPTURE that wonder, or do you really need to be the one to BUILD it?

- Empire characteristics: I think I understand what "Intelligent" does: it gives your empire bonuses or penalties to research speed depending if you are slightly intelligent, very intelligent, stupid, etc. From what I gather, this applies to your race and to the AIs. I think I intuitively understand what the other 4 characteristics do too in terms of modifying diplomacy options. What I don't understand is if these other 4 (recklnessness, aggressiveness, friendliness, reliability) have any relevance to the player's empire. In other words: Do these 4 attributes apply to the way that the AI behaves, but have no relevance to a human player, or am I mistaken? (In other words, when choosing an empire to play, the only thing a player need to look for, if s/he is looking for an advantage, is to play an intelligent race?)

Post #: 38
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/23/2012 5:55:56 PM   
Theluin

No problem. Always glad to help.

The ships not refuelling probably is a bug then - perhaps you should post a thread in tech support. You should also probably post a save game.

I always thought that largest meant most developed/with biggest population but I'm not sure now. Maybe someone else can clarify that.

You won't get points for it unless you are playing the same race. As far as I know the points are for having the wonder not building it. Also the tech that allows building those wonders that give victory points is race specific so the only way to stop the AI from building it is stealing that tech (which is really hard and when you're finished stealing they'll most probably have already built it) and build it yourself or if you have really good relations (>+60) you can buy it for something like 100 billion credits. Also you can always just conquer the planet they built it on and they'll lose their points.

Those characteristics also affect to some degree how the AI empires react to you.

Post #: 39
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/24/2012 3:00:46 PM   
onomastikon

Alright thanks so much! Makes sense.
Any tips on how I can go about finding the 3 largest ocean planets (part of my VC) to make my own? ;.)

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 40
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/24/2012 11:25:39 PM   
feelotraveller

Its a pretty safe bet that the 3 largest population ocean planets will be the homeworlds of the Ackdarians, Quameno and Wekkarus. You have 1 by default! Scanning the top ten colonies list may also be useful if this is not the case (like if some nasty empire has bombarded these planets back to the stone-age ).

I have never seen any evidence that intelligence effects research - have you? (Yes, I know what it says in the Galactopedia...) Friendliness and aggressiveness effect your chances at colonising independents and recklessness effects how many resources your spaceports stock. Theluins point is a good one also.

Post #: 41
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/25/2012 7:01:28 AM   
onomastikon

Thank you very much. Good tips. In my current game, there are Quarmeno, on the other side of the map, per diplomacy I can see their HW now, and checked it out, indeed ocean. There are no Wekkarus in this game. So simply random searching, I suppose. Does "largest" ocean planet mean the highest quality?

Actually, I have only played one race so far (Ackdarians, was the first one in the list!), and have hence no comparison -- I simply supposed that the Galactopedia was correct. Seems somehow to make a small bit of sense. The Quameno seem to be the only ones with more research than I, and the more stupid races always seems to have less. So if the Galactopedia is wrong, what does intelligence actually do?

I can see how friendliness effects independent colonization, but not sure how aggressiveness does. Is any of this documented anywhere, or are you looking at some files?

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 42
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/25/2012 7:56:31 AM   
J HG T

I think "largest" in VCs means largest population. Planet quality and size affects the max population, so largest, best quality planets tend to end up with largest populations.

Post #: 43
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/26/2012 3:29:12 PM   
onomastikon

Thank you!

So IF the galactopedia is wrong and Intelligence does not modify research rate, does Intelligence actually do anything then? Thank you.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 44
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/26/2012 3:35:57 PM   
J HG T

I have always had that impression that Intelligence gives some sort of small bonus to research. I may remember wrong, and I haven't got Galactopedia handy at the moment. Will check it later and see what it actually says. Will be back if/when I get some updates.

Post #: 45
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/28/2012 4:01:03 PM   
onomastikon

Thanks so much! How would you test that? Use a stopwatch for timing? In any case, I'd be keen to know what you found out and what Intelligence is good for.

People have said here and elsewhere that a colony with >50% quality, you need to expend $$ for its upkeep. But I don't see where. I don't see a slot for that in my F6 screen. If my colony has 51% quality (some of mine do), would it even make sense to tax it? Or am I actually losing money somewhere I cannot see (because there is no slot in the F6 screen to document it) if I manually set my taxes below that which the AI seems to want to have it at on most of my colonies? (Hope I am formulating this question right....)

Thank you very much in advance

Post #: 46
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/30/2012 8:36:03 PM   
onomastikon

Sorry, here is actually another question that is driving me crazy, realize I couldn't wait for the answer to the other one, but....

"Load Troops at nearest colony": IIUC, if you give this order to a FLEET, it will send the entire fleet to that one colony with >1 troops to load them. At least that is what my "testing" has shown me. What it certainly doesn't seem to do is send out all of the troop transports in a fleet to different locations to gather up troops. I had made a fleet of about 8 transporters, called the ... Transport Fleet! ... and sent it to a spaceport in the middle of a dense cluster of my colonies, each with about 2-10 troops on them. I had imagined I could get the fleet full in no time, but alas. Is there a way to queue up troop gathering other than search for planets with troops, click on each individual transport, and manually send them there?

Post #: 47
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 1/30/2012 8:58:58 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: onomastikon

Is there a way to queue up troop gathering other than search for planets with troops, click on each individual transport, and manually send them there?

No.

Post #: 48
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 2/14/2012 1:18:51 PM   
onomastikon

Right, I still can't figure out the difference after starting two games with identical settings except that one race was "very intelligent" and one was not. I cannot seem to find a difference in research times.
Does anyone who knows something about modding or code or just maybe has done some other testing have any information on how the "intelligent" trait affects research speed (or more information on exactly what boni the traits in general offer)? Thank you!

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 49
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 2/14/2012 9:21:29 PM   
DasTactic

I thought intelligence just gave you more capacity to research rather than affecting the research speed. The amount of research is dependent on the number of research stations - but your actual research is capped. I thought intelligence raised the cap a bit. Could be wrong.

Post #: 50
RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you - 2/16/2012 3:20:16 PM   
onomastikon

Aha! Thanks much. How would one test that?

Last question: Normally, I play the Nice Guy, but this game I am trying for the first time my hand at Bugs. Part of my VC als Dhayut is to enslave a portion of my total population at my colonies. I have 2 sets of questions regarding this.

Question set 1: In game options, I set "assimilate" to "my race" and its related families and "enslave" as default for other races. So I am actually assimilating a few other bugs, such as Gizurean and whatnot. Fine. I also set "use penal colonies", and the computer automatically chose my second colony fairly early in the game and renamed it to Penal Colony. Although at this time, I had no enslaved population; Q1a: maybe this is a bug (no pun intended)? In any case, I have now in mid-game still that one planet as a penal colony, and no others. I thought it would use penal colonies (with the emphasis on the plural), but that does not seem necessary. Q1b: Can I actually rename other colonies as "Penal Colony" and the computer will treat them as such? Q1c: At first, I had the population control on automated, then I switched it to manual because I thought the computer was screwing up as it had "resettle" on my alien races instead of enslave, and then I think I realized: am I right in understanding that the computer will then "resettle" the unwanted humanoids to the one penal colony world and enslave them there, so that "resettle" on the other planets is correct? Q1d: Am I right then in assuming that the private sector, bizarrely enough, will do the job of resettling these aliens to the slave worlds in private passenger ships? Will the private sector, which apparently believes it will be making money from doing this, take in consideration the amount of passenger ships it needs to buy for this purpose in calculating the number of ships to buy? I ask because I really do not see much population flow.

Question set 2 What does all this mean for my economy? Q2a: apparently, I am supposed to get some boni in production for my enslaved populations. So I set some taxes on the penal colony. Which seems odd to me -- are the slaves supposed to earn money and pay taxes? Q2b: So now I have a dozen or so planets I have conquered with aliens on them. They are then being set to "resettle" (to the penal colony, I assume) by the computer governor automatically. So ... soon I will be having a dozen or so planets which are EMPTY of population? What am I supposed to do with these then? Q2c: Will the computer automatically send some of my own insectoid folk out to these other colonies, eventually? I have not seen that happen yet! Q2d: How can I simply get them to be enslaved then and there?

Erm, hope my questions were understandable. Sorry and thanks in advance

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 51
Noob having problems with design sizes - 11/14/2012 2:52:46 AM   
mark_valley

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I have finished both tutorials and now I am trying my 1st gameplay. I have restarted a couple times and I see the same situation always:

I usually let automation configuration as default (trying to learn some basics before going to more advanced stuff). This way ship design and science research are automated. I was observing that at mid-games i still have only the scort as military design avaiable while my opponents could already put some destroyers and cruisers at the field. After some time i figured-out that my max design size was 230 (maybe i need some specific tech) and this was causing the bigger designs not being avaiable to me.

Which is the best solution on this situation?
Science research seemed to me a little bit complex at first look but should i take control of it and try to develop some especific tech that should allow bigger designs?

Thx in advance.

< Message edited by mark_valley -- 11/14/2012 3:52:41 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: Noob having problems with design sizes - 11/14/2012 3:38:00 PM   
WoodMan

Only Escort? I've never seen that before. You must have advanced your tech quite a long way for only the Escort to be available, or there is some kind of bug going on.

It is quite common for the larger designs to be unavailable (like Capital Ship) because you haven't advanced your construction technology far enough but everything except Escorts is something I have never come across before!

I am assuming you are playing RotS or Legends and not just the base game, in which case you should take over the research from the AI and research your contruction techs a bit to imncrease the ship size that you are able to build

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to mark_valley)
Post #: 53
RE: Noob having problems with design sizes - 11/14/2012 3:54:52 PM   
mark_valley

I am playing Legends and maybe i need to put some attention at research. I was reading other posts and decided to begin a sandbox game tonight, i hope to get more knowledge and resolve this issue.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 54
RE: Noob having problems with design sizes - 11/14/2012 4:35:18 PM   
WoodMan

Research is not that complex and defiantely best handled manually

It is literally just a case of clicking the tech you want to research on the tech tree. Some general tips for your research would be:

Colonization technologies are very important especially if you are playing on a galaxy settings with less colonizable planets available!
Construction technologies are very important too!
As for weapons, it is good idea to make a choice between missiles and torpedos and a choice between laser based weapons and railguns because the AI designs will use either laser or railguns and missile or torpedo

The rest is down to experimentation and what you think would benefit you the most.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to mark_valley)
Post #: 55
RE: Noob having problems with design sizes - 10/21/2015 10:31:14 PM   
apresby

OK, simple question that I cannot figure out. Does the private sector move components or just resources?

Components are in cargo so that would seem to indicate that they can be transported...

Thanks and v/r
pooner

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 56
RE: Noob having problems with design sizes - 10/21/2015 11:11:18 PM   
jacozilla

AFAIK I've only ever seen components built at the destination site where the actual building is being done - e.g. the location/ship that you are doing the constructing at (spaceport, construction ship) - and if resources are lacking to build those components via the plants at that location, then either private sector freighters take resource missions to bring those requested resources to that build location, or in the special case of construction ships - they may turn around and go to the nearest location where they can pick up enough materials to build whatever is in their mission queue to build.

That said, your question is a good one because while the above accounts for all components as basically non-moved cargo - they are built based on resources moved to the plant which in turn uses that resource to build the component - the further question arises of what happens to components if for some reason they are built, but then not used? Would they stay in cargo hold forever?

Thinking on this, I believe the question is moot - because I can't think of a scenario right now (doesn't mean it may not exist, I just can't think of one) where components are built but then not used.

Since we can't cancel a retrofit or build once the order is given, any components fabricated would be used up.
If a build order was started, including fabrication of components, but the build order was interrupted because the builder itself died (spaceport blew up, construction ship killed), then any components on board would also vanish.

So I can't think of a scenario in which components would need to be moved, because a) it seems only resources are moved to the build site plants, where it turns those resources into the components it needs, and b) the build site will never have un-used components it made but then needs to be moved elsewhere because either it finishes the job it made those components for (can't cancel build orders), or it plus any components it had blew up when it died.

It would be pretty useful to think that if one plant location was not able to keep up with component requests, that another part of your empire would build those components and then ship them to the location that needed it, but I don't see it working that way. Like when you see a new colony that says shortage of resources and can't build a spaceport or whatever soon as you colonize it - you'd think if components could be moved by the private sector, then a neighboring system would start building components instantly to ship to that new colony world - but all I ever see moved are freighters moving the raw steel, etc to that new colony world to solve the resource shortage - not components. (although it's not like I've looked at every freighter, but whenever I've moused over one, I've never seen one say carrying X component, it's just a resource name)

(in reply to apresby)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Newbie: Short questions, thank you Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI