Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Beta update 1.6 Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> New Beta update 1.6 Available! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/20/2012 11:12:12 PM   
Andrew Loveridge

Hello All,

A new update is available in the Members Club. It is a Beta with some fixes and UI improvements. Please give this beta a try. We may have another update in a week or two, so let us know if things are not working with this beta.

Change History:

Fixes

• Fixed crash when using Command Action to hide a unit or group.
    • Fixed extra cost for uphill movement.
    • Fixed AI bug for unloading units.

Improvements

• USER INTERFACE:  'L' key now shows a line of sight display from the hex under the mouse cursor.  An eyeball icon appears on the hex from with the LOS display is calculated.  Press L over a new hex to move the display to that hex; press L over the hex with the eyeball in it to turn the overlay display off.
    • USER INTERFACE:  Added tooltip to show unit stats over unit buttons during the reinforcement phase.
    • Board Game Maps! Available separately through our Members Club, these are new maps and a new lighting system that allows the Conflict of Heroes computer game to look almost exactly like the board game map. We've heard from many Conflict of Heroes board game players that they would like this option and we are delivering. For the official release of this update, these maps will be available through an in-game option. For now, you will need to download the additional file and unzip the contents with paths (the files go in /Data/Maps) to your Conflict of Heroes installation folder. For this beta release, if you download and unzip these files, they will replace the normal 3D maps. For the official release, both will be available.
    • New High Resolution Dynamic Counters! The option to play with the board game counters has been significantly enhanced. We've added new high resolution counters with dynamic unit statistics that reflect any damage or other effects that are currently on the unit as well. Please give these a try and let us know how you like them!

Post #: 1
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/21/2012 3:30:59 AM   
junk2drive

In game Help has not been updated to add the L key.

For me the eyeball sometimes did not appear on the hex selected. The LOS appeared to be correct though. Pressing L again moved the eyeball 2 or more hexes for one or two tries before turning off LOS. Sometimes it worked as normal.

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 2
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/21/2012 7:03:24 AM   
e_barkmann

The original map artwork is appreciated, but they are remarkably lo-res in comparison to the board game examples on the Academy Games website.
The hi-res counters look good up close, but the map is so blurred at that viewing distance that it detracts as a whole.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/21/2012 4:00:04 PM   
Crender

I have to agree with the previous poster. Whilst the new hi-res counters look good on the original maps, something looks wrong with them on the lo-res 'gameboard' maps.

Also, IMO, the counters could probably do with a slight shadow under them so that they appear to sit in the map better, and perhaps leave a gap between 2 counters in the same hex so that they do not 'bleed' into each other - or show them stacked with a mouse-click to cycle through them.

Otherwise beta seems to provide some good improvements.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 4
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/22/2012 3:34:19 AM   
JFalk68

You guys can't seem to get it right and put the whole package together! Yes, we wanted Hi Res counters and we wanted a map that looked like the original boardgame but the scale and perspective are completely off!

This picture shows the map at the view of how it would look if I was trying to play the game as if I was playing the tabletop version. At this scale the actual game map does not look bad but the hi res counters are unintelligible! Is anyone else seeing this besides me?

The map looks worse and worse the more you zoon in and the hi res counters only look good zoomed in really close.

Can you make so the counters look crisp and clear when you are zoomed out? That is what we want, we want the PC game to look like the board game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crender)
Post #: 5
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/22/2012 3:44:39 AM   
JFalk68

This is how we want it to look!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 6
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/22/2012 11:56:26 AM   
Crender

Well it certainly doen't look anything like that!
The hi-res counters look at their best very close up, at a distance at which it is impossible to play the game! And as you move the camera out to a distance at which the game plays best (like in the pic above) the image on the counter (tank, truck, soldier etc) worsens. Its almost as though someone was asked to code hi-res counters and they did it without considering the context of actually playing the game.

On the plus side, WCS are at least trying to meet customers wishes, which is more than can be said for most software companies!

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 7
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/25/2012 5:01:32 PM   
hondo1375

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crender

The hi-res counters look at their best very close up, at a distance at which it is impossible to play the game! And as you move the camera out to a distance at which the game plays best (like in the pic above) the image on the counter (tank, truck, soldier etc) worsens. Its almost as though someone was asked to code hi-res counters and they did it without considering the context of actually playing the game.

Completely agree. I'm very surprised at how poor they are at their usable zoom level ... I would not have bought the game if I knew they were like this.

First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.

(in reply to Crender)
Post #: 8
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/29/2012 2:07:47 AM   
junk2drive

I can't enter the lobby. WTH?

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 9
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/30/2012 5:12:28 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JFalk68
You guys can't seem to get it right and put the whole package together! Yes, we wanted Hi Res counters and we wanted a map that looked like the original boardgame but the scale and perspective are completely off!

In the screenshot you posted the numbers are 3 pixels wide. If you choose to put the camera at a height and angle where the numbers are only 3 pixels wide, they aren't going to be intelligible.

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 10
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 7/30/2012 5:13:03 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
I can't enter the lobby. WTH?

This is a beta patch. You won't be able to enter the lobby with this patch until it becomes official.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 11
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 8/5/2012 5:56:12 PM   
qufourthree

Hello
I'm using the 1.6 beta update of CofH, and when I'm setting up the scenario, and use the "undo" button, the game crashes, and produces a bug report. However is there a log file that I can post .

-- Christopher.

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 12
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 8/13/2012 7:47:56 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: qufourthree
I'm using the 1.6 beta update of CofH, and when I'm setting up the scenario, and use the "undo" button, the game crashes, and produces a bug report. However is there a log file that I can post .

You can take a screenshot of the exception dialog that pops up and post that. For which scenario / nation is this happening?

(in reply to qufourthree)
Post #: 13
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 8/17/2012 3:06:32 PM   
junk2drive

Any word on this becoming official? I'd like to MP again.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 14
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 8/30/2012 5:41:39 PM   
ericbabe

I'm back from my vacation and will be resuming work on the patch shortly.

I don't really see any consensus opinion about the new boardgame-style map graphics. Some people seem to like it. Some people think that it's too low-resolution when the camera is zoomed in very close (which I might be able to solve by preventing the camera from zooming in very close.) Any further thoughts on this?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 15
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 9/4/2012 12:46:53 PM   
Crender

Having the ability to toggle to a boardgame style map and counters would be good as long as both map and counters are at an acceptable resolution. I would have no issue with a fixed camera (like Battle Academy) for this mode of play if that is what it takes to get a hi-res board/chits that look like the boardgame. But retaining a free camera for use with the 3D terrain and units/chits is a must IMO.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 16
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 9/20/2012 7:48:32 PM   
DoubleDeuce

Any update on the patch status?

(in reply to Crender)
Post #: 17
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 9/20/2012 8:04:29 PM   
Charly G

A very good game, but nobody in the multiplayer lobby and just some people on the forum. I hope the patch soon. We need it in order to get more activity for this game.

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 18
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 9/21/2012 1:05:11 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce
Any update on the patch status?

Shouldn't be too long. I'm working on some last-minute stuff, and we're unsure whether that work will make the next patch we release or not. Either way, we should have something up pretty soon.

Post #: 19
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 9/21/2012 1:06:48 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charly G
A very good game, but nobody in the multiplayer lobby and just some people on the forum. I hope the patch soon. We need it in order to get more activity for this game.

Thank you for the kind words. The next patch should be out soon. We're going to try to relax the restriction that prevents players with different versions from entering the lobby -- it'll be a sort of play-at-your-own-risk type of thing, but we'll show everybody's version number in the lobby player list so that people with like versions can try playing each other. Hopefully that will spur lobby activity.

(in reply to Charly G)
Post #: 20
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 9/21/2012 9:36:45 AM   
Charly G

Very good news. This game will merit to catch player's attention who play Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader boardgames.
We have good scenario makers with Double Deuce and Jamm, thanks to them. I hope many new players in the following months for this game.

< Message edited by Charly G -- 9/21/2012 9:38:03 AM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 21
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 10/19/2012 11:03:16 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: JFalk68

This is how we want it to look!

If the game looked like that I'd be all over it. What is surprising and I hate to say it but the one man band who made that IPad version for himself looks so much better than this game. I'm not sure how he managed to get it looking so good and with what appears to be a clean and good looking UI and here with this retail game t comes in second best.

I'm expecting big things from the next patch. If it does come good I will buy.

I do think you need to check out the IPad video and see what a fantastic job he did and maybe take something from it.

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 22
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/14/2012 7:15:17 PM   
DoubleDeuce

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Thank you for the kind words. The next patch should be out soon. We're going to try to relax the restriction that prevents players with different versions from entering the lobby -- it'll be a sort of play-at-your-own-risk type of thing, but we'll show everybody's version number in the lobby player list so that people with like versions can try playing each other. Hopefully that will spur lobby activity.

Been almost 2 months, hopefully this is still moving along? I have a few new scenarios in the pipeline, just wanting to tweak'em with the patch installed before releasing them.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 23
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/14/2012 11:53:40 PM   
Ratzki

Yes, we are all waiting for the release.

Post #: 24
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/15/2012 12:08:47 AM   
Erik Rutins

Almost ready...

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 25
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/15/2012 3:28:05 PM   
hugi

Ahhhhh ... waiting can be so hard!
Days, Weeks, Months?

Come on ... information.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 26
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/15/2012 7:18:01 PM   
ericbabe

"Conflict of Heroes" got excellent scores for graphics and UI from all the reviewers. I understand that some people might prefer other systems or graphical styles, but I've been very happy with how our graphics and UI turned out, and I think that our artists did an excellent job.

We couldn't just design the game to use board-game-style maps because we wanted to make the scenario editor a prominent game feature, and we can't expect every scenario-modder to be a map artist as well. We could have produced the game much more cheaply if we had forgone custom scenarios and stuck only to the 10 included in the board-game, but it seems that the ability to create firefights was a popular feature, and indeed the most active members on this forum seem to be those who are interested in this feature.

I'm curious as to what you don't like about our UI. Is there anything in particular you think we ought to have done differently? Dragging the map? Selecting units? Attacking enemy units?

This is what the next version of the game looks like using the "giant board-game-style" maps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 27
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/15/2012 8:04:06 PM   
Jamm

Looks awesome Eric.
I'll try with the hand drawn maps as long as there is a hexgrid and some method for us to assign a terrain type for a hex.
It opens up a whole new set of possibilities with hand drawn boards.
Love the multi hex buildings.

The thing I don't like about the UI, is I think it takes up a large portion of the screen.
It has all the right info displayed, just maybe scale it down a little or let the user choose a size.

Now hurry up and release

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 28
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/15/2012 9:21:48 PM   
junk2drive

I prefer the current 3D maps to the one above. Currently playing on a lower end system, using the Low Resolution start menu choice and it looks good, runs smooth enough.

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 29
RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available! - 11/15/2012 11:01:34 PM   
hugi

Amazing job!
Thanks for the 2d version!

Now with boardgame graphic und rules (los and others) it is the game I want.
I'm also happy with the next game box release in spring 2013.

Greetings
hugi

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> New Beta update 1.6 Available! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI